What's new

Truly scary moments in gaming

Kusanagi

Chief Nippleseer
Reputation score
Re: Truly scary moments in gaming

I fucking lovehate it in a game when enemies pop out of thin air.
Especially if they can close gaps in an instant.

Worst part is usually the sound they make when they appear. I hear that shit and I jump about a foot high.

The only other thing in game that usually makes me jumpy is when I hear shit, maybe see shadows, but I don't actually see the enemy.

Example - Hellgate: London has floating enemies that just pop out of nowhere, and enemies that pop out of the ground through a portal.
Just walking along, minding my own business, killing some enemies, turn around and BAM! "HOLY FUCKING SHIT THEY WEREN'T THERE A SECOND AGO OH FUCK JEBUS AAAHHHH!" *spams skills/bullets*

Example: Bioshock. Damn near jumped out of my seat through the first 1/4 of it. There were parts in the rest, too, but mostly towards the beginning.

lurker

Hentai Master
Reputation score

Related ^: Killing Floor has a REALLY sadistic turn when I play SP. Almost always during the last wave the game decides to say 'fuck you and die allready' by dropping two Fleshpounds (the most terrible enemy, beating the final boss), a Skrake or two (Second Most), at least one Siren (third most), and usually a few cannon fodders at the nearest spawnable area- or right behind me.

It still makes me go 'OMGWTFBBQRUN' every time it happens though.

Kusanagi

Chief Nippleseer
Reputation score

Related ^: Killing Floor has a REALLY sadistic turn when I play SP. Almost always during the last wave the game decides to say 'fuck you and die allready' by dropping two Fleshpounds (the most terrible enemy, beating the final boss), a Skrake or two (Second Most), at least one Siren (third most), and usually a few cannon fodders at the nearest spawnable area- or right behind me.

It still makes me go 'OMGWTFBBQRUN' every time it happens though.
And that's why I loved the Demo class.

"OMFG THEY SPAWNED ON ME!"
*pulls out GL**shoomp-BOOM!**Runs like a little girl*

That or Berserker. Yeah, just try and hold me down now, fuckers.
Gonna go KILL BILL on your asses. Or Johnny. Or Jason.
Depends on my melee weapon.

Host

Lurker
Reputation score

Everything from the point where ZT decides he has to go save Nehema.

wazzup

Evard's Tentacles of Forced Intrusion
Reputation score

Dead Space 1 and 2 had some great moments as well. THe ambient noise was really well done

Rule 34

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

True, Dead Space has mastered the craft of keeping you on the edge of your seat. There is one moment in 2 where I just genuinely felt horror - you're walking down an enormous corridor lit by sparily placed spotlights, and then something huge moves towards you, knocking the spotlights away. Real pants-crapping moment.

Of course, Dead Space also has the habit of equipping you with more than enough ammo for every weapon, diluting the horror somewhat. And once you get your hands on the laser cannon in 2, it's all over.

Darmy647

Lurker
Reputation score

Silent Hill 2 And the 2 Red pyramids. God dammit i still have nightmares over that game!!
This goes with red pyramids. Listen to it at night. I dare you.

Copper

Lurker
Reputation score

It's funny, but I don't find the L4D games scary. Nerve-wracking. Startling. Ohshitwe'regonnadie! But not scary. I should say they're not frightening to me. Silent Hill is good because it make use of the whole ambient noise and mood and lighting and whatnot. L4D has the "jump" moments or that time when we could hear the witch and my friend came around a building one way, I came around another and she was RIGHT between us. You could literally see the characters do that motion of going "Nyeeeh!", pulling up short, spinning around, and breaking in the other direction. Again, startling, yes. Scary, no. And in retrospect, it was actually kind of funny.

Or like the downloadable map with 20 witches in one room. And you have to startle them so they break down the door so you can get through. Nerve-wracking, yes. Scary, not so much.

I guess I don't equate a harrowing experience (one that has me on edge, wondering if I/the charrie is going to get through it) with a frightening one (one that has me debating whether the jolts are worth it or if I should just quit playing.) Might just be me, but that's kind of how I see it.

Also, thank you. I stopped keeping track of numbers long ago. I mostly just keep track of plot.

GargantuaBlarg

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

The Library, from Metro 2033.

That I completely forgot what they told me about the Librarians may or may not have anything to do with it. Christ, they could soak like twenty shotgun blasts to the face before dying. My pneumatic needlegun was much more effective, but the game despawned it after I grabbed a shotgun to test it's effectiveness out...

The Penumbra games also, of course. I only watched a live LP of it, and man, fuck that shit.

Someone mentioned the Ocean House? I loved the Ocean House.

Wonderboy

Lurker
Reputation score

Ok, so which of these games are able to be played on the 360? I want to have scary gaming night with a friend, but I would prefer Xbox...

Also, in Penumbra: Black Plague. When you realize that you have to release the monster/ crazy person in order to proceed through the game... That was fucking scary. And the hallway in the same game, where you have to turn off the power by pulling out the wires in the fuse-box, because that will cause the door to a room you need to get something from to open. The problem is that it will also deactivate the lock on a metal door at the end of the hallway, where there is a bloody trail leading to it. So you pull the wire, and hold on to your glowstick. Everything's fine, you go into the room... So far so good. Open up the cupboards and cabinets, quietly. And then one of them creaks and you hear the raspy voice of one of the monsters saying: "What? Is there someone there?" And there's that time in Penumbra where... Ok, I'll stop now.

Yeah, Black Plague is fucking scary.

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Ok, so which of these games are able to be played on the 360? I want to have scary gaming night with a friend, but I would prefer Xbox...
The F.E.A.R. franchise is available on 360.

OP
super_slicer

super_slicer

Lord High Inquisitor
Staff member
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Dead space, Metro 2033, and L4D, are all available for the 360. If you're going for scary, I'd pick Dead Space. Though I haven't played it, I have played the other two.

Metro 2033's scares are fairly predictable, and often it's the difficulty of the enemy that you'll be worried about, maybe the silo level (depending on your tolerance to such things) but that is quite late in the game. That said it's still a very solid title that I enjoyed greatly.

As far as L4d, I've played multi on the first and own the second. I really can't say there's anything scary about these games. You know the zombies are coming for you, it's just a matter of if you're in the right location to deal with them properly. And things can get quite frantic when the tank herds you into a witch, or you're caught out in the open. These games do happen to be a blast when playing with friends though. Especially getting to play as the special infected (though playing as the puking one suuuuuucks). Also as a note, I really disliked the weapons in both L4Ds, something about them just seemed like they could have been better, the guns specifically.

Last edited:

lurker

Hentai Master
Reputation score

Left 4 Dead and Left 4 Dead 2 aren't inherintly scary because unlike other survival horror games, you got backup, and some conviently left behind firepower. They're designed for the co-op and Survivor vs Infected gameplay, not just a single player vs a horde like the Resident Evil series. Thus, while it's not a thriller, it's a solid co-op survival horror game.

Killing Floor is similar, with more gun and perhaps a few more scary moments.
FP FP FP FP

Games Dude

Lurker
Reputation score

cross_grave

Lurker
Reputation score

Silent Hill 2 was also damn good for that as well. And there was another old game that creeped me out when I played it... similar style to Resident Evil gameplay wise... Nocturna or something like that.
Nocturne, perhaps?

As for Silent Hill... Well, aside the goddamn heavy atmosphere of this series and the absolutely disgusting enemies, it was scary. Really scary. Altough if you ask me, Pyramid Head takes the cake.

Don't get me started on Amnesia. I can't even PLAY this thing.

Nunu

Despot
Former Admin
Reputation score

Silent hill 1 gets to me every time, 2 i like but its not got the same effect for some reason.

Amnesia was really good until i realised the monsters represented zero threat at all at which stage the game became a chore. raptor and i got into quite a row about this once.

Darmy647

Lurker
Reputation score

I honestly really hope an amnesia 2 is fully possible, i really enjoyed the first, very good job at atmosphere. CERTAINLY scary as shit at times. I saw the new Silent Hill E3 trailer and i kinda wished it had learned a few tricks from amnesia..oh well.

Unnatural Kiwi

Sex Demon
Reputation score

Well I don't really play horrors since they aren't really my style. However, what can get me with a jolt are moments in games that randomly have a "scary" moment that are not a horror game. (Sadly, the game name I was thinking of is on the tip of my tongue but I can't remember it.)

Copper

Lurker
Reputation score

Just start describing it. There's enough of us on here that one of us might know what you're talking about.