What's new

Truly scary moments in gaming

Ryeden

Lurker
Reputation score
Re: Truly scary moments in gaming

Alan Wake is an interesting game if you're into good storytelling and Creepy environments (not as creepy as Silent Hill but it's still kinda creepy) Although, I do have to admit that once you get use to the enemies it doesn't feel that creepy any more, probably because it's a little more action oriented than Silent Hill but still a great game not to be overlooked...

Another game that was similar to Alan Wake but not as story-driven was the original ObsCure (not part 2 - which was really terrible)... although the game did resembled a horror teen-flick movie. What I like about this game was the fact that you had 6 characters (5 at first but if you saved the 6th character at the beginning of the game you'll end up with 6 later on) in which you get to choose any and if one were to die during the game, it will still continue without them until all are dead. It also had that "use a flashlight against the darkness" thing similar to Alan Wakes which is interesting and is also more action oriented...

Unfortunately....(yes I know the bad news)...Alan Wake is Xbox 360 exclusive and the first ObsCure came out for the Original Xbox and PS2(not on the newer systems)

Jeszael

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score

True, Dead Space has mastered the craft of keeping you on the edge of your seat. There is one moment in 2 where I just genuinely felt horror - you're walking down an enormous corridor lit by sparily placed spotlights, and then something huge moves towards you, knocking the spotlights away. Real pants-crapping moment.

Of course, Dead Space also has the habit of equipping you with more than enough ammo for every weapon, diluting the horror somewhat. And once you get your hands on the laser cannon in 2, it's all over.

While Dead Space had many scary and terrifying moments, I don't think the second part was very scary.. except for the first Church fight with the Stalkers... :eek:

I agree that Silent Hill 2 was probably the most scariest game ever... Pyramid head and those shuffling noises all over the place, especially the prison and hospital part with that creepy red living door >_>

Also, Nemesis in RE3 always made me jump and scream when he suddenly appeared out of nowhere and screaming STAAAAARSS :(

Host

Lurker
Reputation score

>CTRL-F "Shalebridge Cradle"
>0 Results

*sigh* I am disappoint.
YOU FUCKER!

I... I had it out of my head...! and now..

and now...!

*Weeps*

OP
super_slicer

super_slicer

Lord High Inquisitor
Staff member
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

An update on perseus mandate. About the only scary thing I've encountered since the dead end alley. Is my own shadow, seriously the PC's shadow is super-creepy. Aaaaaand that's about it. They really ruined the end, having fettel talk to you, it's like "oh, he's being friendly, so I don't have to worry about his shit whenever he pops up."

I've been wondering what's up with all the 'little girls' in horror movies/games? I can think of nothing that scares me less than a little girl (well, aside from the fact that if you're over a certain age and anywhere near them somebody is going to think you're some kind of child molester.) oh, she's a demon/ghost/monster? Yeah, still not scary. You can't just tac a scary pre-fix (grammar? IDK) on something that's all but harmless and expect me to actually worry about it.

Rule 34

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

I've been wondering what's up with all the 'little girls' in horror movies/games? I can think of nothing that scares me less than a little girl (well, aside from the fact that if you're over a certain age and anywhere near them somebody is going to think you're some kind of child molester.) oh, she's a demon/ghost/monster? Yeah, still not scary. You can't just tac a scary pre-fix (grammar? IDK) on something that's all but harmless and expect me to actually worry about it.
Hm.

Blood puppy. Demon bunny. Gore kitten.

Yeah, you're right - this doesn't work.

Darmy647

Lurker
Reputation score

Now that's how you make a fucking horror level. Thief is tense anyway. But that one map...good Lord.

Oh, by the way...

The Cradle remembers you now.
o_o...*shaking in corner from Watching the Shalebridge Cradle Playthroughs on youtube* jesus...i never knew Thief had a scary ass level like that!

ToxicShock

(And Reputation Manager)
Staff member
Administrator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

I still have no idea why Bisping is facing GSP. I mean, I get the business side of it, but Yoel Romero is a goddamned olympian and on a hell of a streak.

Zepheral

The Dark God Of Lesbians and Memes
Reputation score

My first time seeing pyramid head in silent hill, or the story in silent hill 3 in general.

She was born to sacrifice herself to give birth to God, wow this story.

Byzantine2014

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Woot for necroing ;)

Hm, first time playing slenderman back in highschool, lights in the room were off, volume cranked up, had no real idea what to do. Got the first page and was walking about, hadn't seen him yet... And then bam, turn around and he's right behind me, jumped a good foot in the air :eek:.

Cappy

Reputation score

Lisa the painful RPG has doesn't have any moments that are distinctly "scary" I would say, but it has an awesome balance of unease and humour that lead up to some moments that are very disturbing. The game actually starts out giving you a sucker punch , and if you analyze some of the content in the game and examine the characters, and the mechanics the game employs as you go on, it only gets more disturbing from there.

Kamos999

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

when game freeze before save ...

dragoon93041

Tentacle God
Reputation score

When I killed Toriel by accident, reset the game, then had Flowey mention how much of a shit I was for killing Toriel and attempting to escape responsibility by using saving. I freaked out.

Dragontear

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

A lovely game called 'Darkwood' uses actual line of sight in a top-down viewpoint very well, half the time you're constantly checking side to side, so it's entirely possible to be blind-sided and the light mechanics do actually have quite some relevance, staying in the dark at night means you'll be attacked by ghostly-things and can't actually see anything lurking nearby.

Also, it's a surreal-horror game so... lots of mind-screw, as well as certain enemies or even 'friendly' residents of the forest confronting you in ways you simply don't expect and feel very much 'flat footed'.

...And generally just protecting your hideout, when it's pitch-black outside, your own generator is loud enough to make hearing things near it difficult, sound design helps the paranoia remain. >< Not many jump-scares but it's quite disturbing at times.

Paladox

Tentacle God
Reputation score

"Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth" had some good moments, especially when you have to escape the motel room. Great game overall. I wish it could have had a sequel or two.

Soupy

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

The beginning of that game was the worst part of it for me. Those freaking hybrid cops kept creeping up on me.

The Scariest gaming moment I ever had would be in Resident evil 2 when those cheating zombies came out in the door transition, because that wasn't supposed to happen!

I really prefer the cold comforts of top down view and fixed cameras, as I'm pretty bad with first person horror in general. This combined with the edging suspense style horror of nothing happening is absolutely nerve wracking for me.

Spiccy

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

Definitely the suffering ps2 game.

Utterly terrifying.

Zepheral

The Dark God Of Lesbians and Memes
Reputation score

Finding a shiny abra and you try to catch it. You caught it and the battery dies. The days of Nintendo gameboy.

Pervy

Dances with Girl-Cocks
RP Moderator
Reputation score

got me briefly, now horror intrigues me so I just rushed on, but, minor spoiler, the moment just before you go to the corpse is deliciously tense.

Also, if you like surreal stuff, try out 'The Void' its dirt-cheap and.. well, its not quite horror but it will mess with your head. plus theres boobs.