[WIP - Full] Virgin's Protection Magic Translation (v 0.82 released 23/07/2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shiryuu612

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score
2 weeks actually.

I'm still alive and still working on things. Not quite ready to share new stuff though for one simple reason: I'm not sure if I can actually quantify how much progress I've made. There's a bunch of tasks done, a bunch still being worked on, and I'm not entirely sure how to count all the stuff up to estimate how much longer the rest will take.

EDIT: I just thought I'd add a little clarification by what I mean with "bunch of tasks" etc.
Tasks which are done:
1. Typesetting
2. Majority of patch conversion
3. Basic spell checking
4. Majority of Font work

Tasks which need work
1. Typesetting hints in patch (i.e. do not typeset RPGMaker commands, like colour codes)
2. Scripts aren't converting correctly yet
3. LanguageTool spelling/grammar check (+ appropriate processing to detect things that would never pass, i.e. onomatopoeias etc)
4. Onomatopoeia improvements
5. Some game scripts need further testing/modification (because RPGMaker can be a bit nuts over deciding what text to squish)
6. Packing up a pre-release version of JapeTrans for people to use
7. Fixing some translations

Once I've got 1/2 done from the second list, I'll be in a much better position to figure out how much work is actually needed and hence being able to post more info on progress relative to how much work needs to be done
Good to see you're still translating on it I guess this will take a month or so to be released or something?

OP
habisain

habisain

Tentacle God
Reputation score
Good to see you're still translating on it I guess this will take a month or so to be released or something?
I will commit to that in the same way that a nuclear physicist commits to the statement "Commercial Nuclear Fusion generators are only 5 years away" - a situation which has been going on for more than 50 years.

Did you not read the previous post which specifically stated that I did not have a good handle on how much work was left to do? At the very least, let me quantify the amount of work left to do before trying to commit me to a deadline.

Shiryuu612

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score
I will commit to that in the same way that a nuclear physicist commits to the statement "Commercial Nuclear Fusion generators are only 5 years away" - a situation which has been going on for more than 50 years.

Did you not read the previous post which specifically stated that I did not have a good handle on how much work was left to do? At the very least, let me quantify the amount of work left to do before trying to commit me to a deadline.
Oh sorry about that I didn't mean to I was just asking If it were to be released yet guess not it depends on how much work you're left to do sorry again.

Keep

Grim Reaper
Reputation score
Oh sorry about that I didn't mean to I was just asking If it were to be released yet guess not it depends on how much work you're left to do sorry again.
Didnt you think one "sorry" was already enough ? :p

And Habi, we're still rooting for you btw :D

OP
habisain

habisain

Tentacle God
Reputation score
Progress yes, news not really. I have the patch converted fully now, which was one of the two big things that needed sorting out. I'm currently working on the typesetting hints part, and then I'll be able to feed the patch through LanguageTool and work out exactly how much I have to sort out before release.

OP
habisain

habisain

Tentacle God
Reputation score
There will be a progress update on this on Sunday. In the meantime, a quick question for people regarding fonts. There's one character (who you can probably guess if you've played the game, so keep spoilers to a minimum) whom I am currently planning to use the font - because all things considered, it's a great way of sorting out the tone of the characters speech. However, due to the font being a Fraktur font, I have a bit of concern over its legibility (at least, to people not familiar with Fraktur writing).

I do have a number of backup picks though, all of which are better in terms of legibility. So given my concerns, I'm throwing this out as an open ended question to see if there are any particularly strong views. Below is a sample (and for reference, this is text I made up). In order, the fonts are Fira Sans (for reference; this is the main game font), UnifrakturMaguntia, Uncial Antiqua, Astloch (Bold), Metamorphous, Nova Cut (note: a related font, Nova Oval, is being used for Witchcraft), and Almendra. If anyone wants to play with these in detail, they're all available on Google Fonts.

Preview.png
If you don't mind spoilers and want to know the character in question...
Sweartbucca, who is an old god of Witchcraft - but not a particularly nice one - and has a small part at the end of the story

Anyhow... any thoughts?

Stiltzkinator

Evard's Tentacles of Forced Intrusion
Reputation score
Fira Sans is perfectly readable, but boring, doubly so since it's the standard font for the game. Not much else to say here, if you want this character's text to stand out, you won't use this.
UnifrakturMaguntia is...not very readable. Without context, my best guess for what that line says would probably be "The Gin is bright, Bitch. J[I?] wonder how it loots to nou." This seems like a font that would take at least a bit of familiarity to not misread several parts of it, which is a risk.
Uncial Antiqua and Astloch (Bold) are better than the previous, but still have some letters that may look a little odd to those not familiar with them.
Metamorphous would honestly be my personal top choice among the fonts presented. Very readable, even at a glance, but it's also still strikingly distinct from the default. I (personally) think it strikes the best balance for being readable without ambiguity, being quickly identifiable as different, and conveying some manner of 'personality' or 'presence' for the character without lacking in any of those areas.
Nova Cut and Almendra are both easy to read, but I question whether they're different enough from Fira Sans to have the impact you seem to be looking for.

Hope this helps.

Sire Loser

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
UnifrakturMaguntia is really hard to read if you are not familiar with the font. Rest of them is easily readable. I think that Metamorphous, Nova Cut and Almendra are little too bland to really stand out from the rest of text. My favorite is Uncial Antiqua. Astloch (Bold) looks kind of weird but it's just my preference.

zekemckillip

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
Uncial Antiqua, Astloch (Bold) - These 2 are my vote. I really like the UnifrakturMaguntia, but it is really hard to understand, especially if English isn't your native language.

kvier

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score
Uncial font makes me think celtic mythology. Some insular letters are particularly confusing (although none are present in your sample). Whether this font is appropriate for this specific character ... well, you do seem to have a track record of doing your research, so I'd guess this character is not.

Is there a fraktur-style font that's been specifically tweaked to use modern letter forms? If so, maybe that's a reasonable choice?

OP
habisain

habisain

Tentacle God
Reputation score
Uncial font makes me think celtic mythology. Some insular letters are particularly confusing (although none are present in your sample). Whether this font is appropriate for this specific character ... well, you do seem to have a track record of doing your research, so I'd guess this character is not.

Is there a fraktur-style font that's been specifically tweaked to use modern letter forms? If so, maybe that's a reasonable choice?
Uncial could be justified, given that it's a celtic world. However, it's not something I considered. Spoilering the rest because I need to go into the characters name.

UnifrakturMaguntia was my first choice though because Fraktur writing does, for me at least, evoke a particularly ancient feel, that with the correct dialogue, is great for a "power beyond mortal ken" character like Sweartbucca. However, Sweartbucca's name is probably from the old germanic "sweart bucca" / "black goat", given the name of the cult (I suppose it could be old english / cornish for "black storm spirit" but it seems unlikely). In which case, Fraktur fonts (being associated to old Germanic writing) would be thematically appropriate.

As to Fraktur-styles in modern letter forms? Plenty, actually. I just don't know if I can use any of them. Font licensing is damn tricky, and for my purposes, I can't actually use a lot of free fonts on the Internet. Heck, I wouldn't be able to use main paid fonts either - a lot of font licensing doesn't cover embedding, which is what I need. To make things worse, lots of font repositories strip licensing information as well, so it's tricky to know a lot of the time what I can use. Hence why I've been using Google Fonts, but perhaps I should cast my net a bit wider - I just found Peter Wiegel's fonts, and there seems to be a few that might meet my requirements there.

EDIT to add a few more to the preview - all from Peter Wiegel's fonts, which all have clear licensing (hooray!). These are Barloesius Schrift, CAT Schmalfette Thannhaeuser, Gotische Missalschrift and Hand Textur. I'm leaning towards Barloesius Schrift or Hand Textur. In any case, I'm throwing all of these out there to see if there are any concerns over legibility. (And yes, technically these aren't Fraktur's, but they're all germanic style blackletter fonts which is what I'm after, I think)

Preview2.png

Last edited:

Sire Loser

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
In my humble opinion those are much better choices. They feel more ancient and magicky while I am still able to read them without any problem. Hand Textur is my favorite but i like CAT Schmalfette Thannhaeuser too.

MyNameIsHawk

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
after a while i started to read and understand better the front of , is just a matter of get used to it

you can use comic sans and get over whit it too

Hoboy

Reputation score
I might as well chime in with a vote for Hand Textur...

kvier

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score
There's something about the very small whitespace inside the letters of Barloesius Schrift that pleases me. But I think all of these blackletter fonts are fine.

zipetya

Reputation score
I pretty much completely agree with Stiltzkinator's view on the first group of potential candidates (my choice would be Metamorphous); from the second batch the best looking in my humble opinion is Hand Textur, with Barloesius Schrift as a close second.

Sue Nami

Demon Girl
Reputation score
I don't like the readability of even though english is my first language. Some of the letters are just simply WRONG.
Astloch (Bold) is the closest of the first list of fonts to UM that's actually readable, but it's so squiggly it looks a bit silly IMO.

Your second list is MUCH better, Of those, I favor Hand Textur... It retains exotic flavor while being readable, and seems to have tighter kerning... which is not an insignificant consideration when translating Japanese to english.

Status
Not open for further replies.