[WIP - Full] Virgin's Protection Magic Translation (v 0.82 released 23/07/2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
habisain

habisain

Tentacle God
Reputation score
Something along the lines of "yeah, till 99% its really fast, and then it takes a while. be patient."

Also, this is apparently not the thread to put RPGMaker Trans support requests forward. Also been pointed out multiple times in this thread.
Probably not, actually. This issue comes up time and time again for some people who pirate the game due to an obscure quirk in the method by which they're pirating the game. But because of the fact that, as in my sig, ULMF is not the place for RPGMaker Trans support, and this has been answered already on RPGMaker Trans's issue tracker and the VPM translation blogger page, I see no reason to give tech support here.

Keep

Grim Reaper
Reputation score
But because of the fact that, as in my sig, ULMF is not the place for RPGMaker Trans support, and this has been answered already on RPGMaker Trans's issue tracker and the VPM translation blogger page, I see no reason to give tech support here.
aren't signatures like WIP atm ?
i can't seem to find yours that easily.

Nidjo

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score
aren't signatures like WIP atm ?
i can't seem to find yours that easily.
Check in User Settings-> Account if "Show signatures" is checked. Signatures show up fine for me.

Nyanyanyan

Lurker
Reputation score
I don't really enjoy being "that guy" but here I go...
I really appreciate what you're trying to do here, but I think it would be best to release a rough version of the full translation as quickly as possible with bug/grammar fixes later on. I've been waiting for months and am anxious to actually finish the game and I don't mind a few typos here and there at all.
I'm no expert on translation software and unique fonts etc. are nice but I don't think they're worth waiting for to put out a finished translation.
I'm sure those who care about this stuff will wait for the version with all the bug fixes included. Those who don't mind a few bugs could even help with testing so you can get a better final version and don't get people suddenly complaining that their game bugged out when you release the "final" version.
Just name it v.9 or something so people realize it's not final for now.
Anyway regardless of what you decide to do I want to thank you for the work you did and trying to improve people's experience.

OP
habisain

habisain

Tentacle God
Reputation score
I don't really enjoy being "that guy" but here I go...
I really appreciate what you're trying to do here, but I think it would be best to release a rough version of the full translation as quickly as possible with bug/grammar fixes later on. I've been waiting for months and am anxious to actually finish the game and I don't mind a few typos here and there at all.
I'm no expert on translation software and unique fonts etc. are nice but I don't think they're worth waiting for to put out a finished translation.
I'm sure those who care about this stuff will wait for the version with all the bug fixes included. Those who don't mind a few bugs could even help with testing so you can get a better final version and don't get people suddenly complaining that their game bugged out when you release the "final" version.
Anyway regardless of what you decide to do I want to thank you for the work you did and trying to improve people's experience.
Nope. My translation, I'm doing it my way.

Besides, I've gone over this before: without the new tools, the translation will require a lot of work before it's usable, because if nothing else it isn't typeset. Many lines in Act 5 overflow the text box. I can either spend my time making my tools do the typesetting for me, or I can spend my time typesetting it by hand. The tools are only taking so long because I've been ill for a good chunk of time since Christmas, and being ill = having to spend more time catching up with real life work = less time for hobby projects. Obviously, even if I had decided to revert to using RPGMaker Trans, I still wouldn't have been able to release due to the amount of work I'd need to do typesetting the patch.

(And this doesn't go into other important tooling related subjects, like the bits of the game that RPGMaker Trans cannot translate but JapeTrans will be able to)

Last edited:

Nyanyanyan

Lurker
Reputation score
Nope. My translation, I'm doing it my way.

Besides, I've gone over this before: without the new tools, the translation will require a lot of work before it's usable, because if nothing else it isn't typeset. Many lines in Act 5 overflow the text box. I can either spend my time making my tools do the typesetting for me, or I can spend my time typesetting it by hand. The tools are only taking so long because I've been ill for a good chunk of time since Christmas, and being ill = having to spend more time catching up with real life work = less time for hobby projects. Obviously, even if I had decided to revert to using RPGMaker Trans, I still wouldn't have been able to release due to the amount of work I'd need to do typesetting the patch.

(And this doesn't go into other important tooling related subjects, like the bits of the game that RPGMaker Trans cannot translate but JapeTrans will be able to)

Yeah, I see how it makes sense to just finish the tools if it would take a lot of effort typesetting everything. Kinda defeats the point.
Oh, and you definitely don't need to justify not releasing faster. Life is life and hobby projects such as this really should take the lower priority to real life stuff.

Anyway hope you're getting better/staying healthy. Not only to get more work done of course. :3

Stiltzkinator

Evard's Tentacles of Forced Intrusion
Reputation score
As someone who has been following translations of not just H games, but also console games that never made it to the West, my take is that this is a terrible idea. I've seen countless times where, once a 'mostly complete' patch is released, people take it and run with it, while the translators lose steam and find themselves lacking the will to finish it. The patch ultimately never gets finished, and any missed lines, errors, or worse, bugs introduced by the patch itself, go unaddressed for the rest of time. It's like bad early access for patches. In light of that, I admire habisain's more professional approach to making sure it's as complete and polished as possible before release, because you only get so many first impressions.

Nyanyanyan

Lurker
Reputation score
As someone who has been following translations of not just H games, but also console games that never made it to the West, my take is that this is a terrible idea. I've seen countless times where, once a 'mostly complete' patch is released, people take it and run with it, while the translators lose steam and find themselves lacking the will to finish it. The patch ultimately never gets finished, and any missed lines, errors, or worse, bugs introduced by the patch itself, go unaddressed for the rest of time. It's like bad early access for patches. In light of that, I admire habisain's more professional approach to making sure it's as complete and polished as possible before release, because you only get so many first impressions.
That's a valid point, I guess. I'm probably just paranoid from people dying/setting their hard drive on fire before they release their stuff and everything being lost, so I'd rather take something that's 99% finished but certain than something that is 100% but uncertain.

scientist

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
That's a valid point, I guess. I'm probably just paranoid from people dying/setting their hard drive on fire before they release their stuff and everything being lost, so I'd rather take something that's 99% finished but certain than something that is 100% but uncertain.
That's why version control software exists.

OP
habisain

habisain

Tentacle God
Reputation score
That's why version control software exists.
Techy point: I do use version control, but it wouldn't do anything if the hard drive the project was on got hosed - remote repositories are a type of collaboration/backup thing, and are not mandatory with version control software.

Anyhow, to assuage fears of hard drive failure: the project is backed up on Dropbox, Onedrive, and multiple computers - I'm going to assume the probability of everything breaking simultaneously is vanishingly small. To assuage fears of me becoming unable to release the project, there's also a dead mans switch mechanism that will publish what is done if I vanish for more than a month by pushing it to the Assembla repository.

Last edited:

rizo

Evard's Tentacles of Forced Intrusion
Reputation score
To assuage fears of me becoming unable to release the project, there's also a dead mans switch mechanism that will publish what is done if I vanish for more than a month by pushing it to the Assembla repository.
Reading this made me laugh so hard! You're amazing!

OP
habisain

habisain

Tentacle God
Reputation score
Sue Nami rizo Eh, I just tend to do silly over-engineered stuff by default. I hope this mechanism doesn't get employed. Just to add though, it's not like a built it for VPM; it does a bunch of other more important things. I suppose a more sensible thing would have been to ask someone to do these things if something happens, but I like my way better.

Nyanyanyan

Lurker
Reputation score
Techy point: I do use version control, but it wouldn't do anything if the hard drive the project was on got hosed - remote repositories are a type of collaboration/backup thing, and are not mandatory with version control software.

Anyhow, to assuage fears of hard drive failure: the project is backed up on Dropbox, Onedrive, and multiple computers - I'm going to assume the probability of everything breaking simultaneously is vanishingly small. To assuage fears of me becoming unable to release the project, there's also a dead mans switch mechanism that will publish what is done if I vanish for more than a month by pushing it to the Assembla repository.
Now I can sleep at night. Thanks for taking the time to relieve my paranoia.

Sue Nami

Demon Girl
Reputation score
And now we know that we need only wait for the correct time to assassinate him and we will have ALL THE TRANSLATIONS!

Muhahahaa!

MUHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAH!

ZapRabbit

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
Any chance you can give a 1 or 2-line explanation of how you're doing a dead-man switch, lol? A program you wrote or something else?

OP
habisain

habisain

Tentacle God
Reputation score
And now we know that we need only wait for the correct time to assassinate him and we will have ALL THE TRANSLATIONS!

Muhahahaa!

MUHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAH!
It would appear I have tipped my hand as to how people can get the patch released faster...

Any chance you can give a 1 or 2-line explanation of how you're doing a dead-man switch, lol? A program you wrote or something else?
Sure; it's not really a program, just a couple of simple scripts. Basically, my local user accounts perform an ssh login to my server whenever I log in. The server has a daily cron-job which checks the last time I logged in. If the cron-job sees that my last login was more than one month ago, it performs the dead-mans switch actions, which includes pushing the current version of VPM to the Assembla repository. Maybe I should try and update it to do something else like send a tweet or something...

Shiryuu612

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score
It would appear I have tipped my hand as to how people can get the patch released faster...

Sure; it's not really a program, just a couple of simple scripts. Basically, my local user accounts perform an ssh login to my server whenever I log in. The server has a daily cron-job which checks the last time I logged in. If the cron-job sees that my last login was more than one month ago, it performs the dead-mans switch actions, which includes pushing the current version of VPM to the Assembla repository. Maybe I should try and update it to do something else like send a tweet or something...
Any updates or progress on this? It's been a week now xD

OP
habisain

habisain

Tentacle God
Reputation score
2 weeks actually.

I'm still alive and still working on things. Not quite ready to share new stuff though for one simple reason: I'm not sure if I can actually quantify how much progress I've made. There's a bunch of tasks done, a bunch still being worked on, and I'm not entirely sure how to count all the stuff up to estimate how much longer the rest will take.

EDIT: I just thought I'd add a little clarification by what I mean with "bunch of tasks" etc.
Tasks which are done:
1. Typesetting
2. Majority of patch conversion
3. Basic spell checking
4. Majority of Font work

Tasks which need work
1. Typesetting hints in patch (i.e. do not typeset RPGMaker commands, like colour codes)
2. Scripts aren't converting correctly yet
3. LanguageTool spelling/grammar check (+ appropriate processing to detect things that would never pass, i.e. onomatopoeias etc)
4. Onomatopoeia improvements
5. Some game scripts need further testing/modification (because RPGMaker can be a bit nuts over deciding what text to squish)
6. Packing up a pre-release version of JapeTrans for people to use
7. Fixing some translations

Once I've got 1/2 done from the second list, I'll be in a much better position to figure out how much work is actually needed and hence being able to post more info on progress relative to how much work needs to be done

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.