What's new

Would you survive?

Janna

Lurker
Reputation score
Re: Would you survive?

In all seriousness this is a question that has to be asked. Who here can actually hit a person in the head at 100m, or more. Not just on a target range in perfect conditions either. Could you actually pull the trigger when it came down to it? And don't just yammer off a yes because you can (though I can't really stop you either).

Also, in melee, do you have the endurance to punch something through a human skull to destroy the brain, pull the weapon out, and continue to do so in a closed space.

Thirdly, do you have ready access to anything that will allow the above two to occur.

Do you have any survival skills? Can you cook your own food? Know how to take care of yourself? Treat wounds? Build shelters? Keep warm?
I have no training in firearms. My dad was, I think, the only person in the town where I grew up who didn't own a gun, go hunting or let us shoot. One of my brothers does now, but I still haven't and I don't really have any desire to learn. I'm too much of a city girl now and I like getting my food from the supermarket.

I'm in pretty good shape and more to the point I have an aluminum baseball bat like right here. My problem would be the initial shock and horror at seeing a real zombie. But once I got over that realization, I think I could use that or my claw hammer to defend myself assuming I didn't get swarmed.

I know first aid and have a fully stocked kit in the bathroom. I can also start a fire, and catch, clean and cook a fish (we didn't hunt but we went camping all the time as a kid.) I know how to not get lost in the wilderness and some reallly basic survival skills; I wouldn't be happy about it but I think getting away from civilization would be the way to go.

Momiji

Lurker
Reputation score

I have no training in firearms. My dad was, I think, the only person in the town where I grew up who didn't own a gun, go hunting or let us shoot. One of my brothers does now, but I still haven't and I don't really have any desire to learn. I'm too much of a city girl now and I like getting my food from the supermarket.

I'm in pretty good shape and more to the point I have an aluminum baseball bat like right here. My problem would be the initial shock and horror at seeing a real zombie. But once I got over that realization, I think I could use that or my claw hammer to defend myself assuming I didn't get swarmed.

I know first aid and have a fully stocked kit in the bathroom. I can also start a fire, and catch, clean and cook a fish (we didn't hunt but we went camping all the time as a kid.) I know how to not get lost in the wilderness and some reallly basic survival skills; I wouldn't be happy about it but I think getting away from civilization would be the way to go.
Getting away from civilization would probably be a double edged sword. For one thing, there are going to be less zombies. But you'd probably find no other survivors out in the woods.

Hopeyouguess62

Has a penis diamiter of 4.5cm
RP Moderator
Reputation score

That's very true, but generally speaking, making yourself easy to find is usually a bad move in zombie-land. We could probably navigate so as to come nearby cities, where we could look in on towns to ascertain their status, but I'd rather be a little lonely and survive than join the zombie community.

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score

OKay, this is getting crazy out of hand. People start to use logic, and it falls to shambles (which is originally why I proclaimed myself queen of the dead in the first place)...

In all seriousness this is a question that has to be asked. Who here can actually hit a person in the head at 100m, or more. Not just on a target range in perfect conditions either. Could you actually pull the trigger when it came down to it? And don't just yammer off a yes because you can (though I can't really stop you either).

Also, in melee, do you have the endurance to punch something through a human skull to destroy the brain, pull the weapon out, and continue to do so in a closed space.

Thirdly, do you have ready access to anything that will allow the above two to occur.

Do you have any survival skills? Can you cook your own food? Know how to take care of yourself? Treat wounds? Build shelters? Keep warm?

I also find it amusing that I'm the one bringing up the serious aspect of this thread.
Yes, to all of them but I ha ve the advantage of experience in all of them being a combat veteran. I also went through SERE school and have most of the equipment I would need already here.

None of this really matters though since I'm leading the zombies, however.

Don't forget not only would you have to be able to shoot someone, but more than likely the first person you would have to shoot would be someone you know and love. I highly doubt if anyone could do that.

lurker

Hentai Master
Reputation score

Yes, let's go back to zombie spies sapping sentries please, let's stop going soo serious.

Or I shall have to count to 3 (5 sir!) aw, right, 5 and toss a hand grenade

lurker

Hentai Master
Reputation score

Awww, thanks for the picie ^,^

Unknown Squid

Aurani's Wife
Reputation score

Aw, but I like the serious aspect. It's fun.

If I can land a measly 0.35 gram plastic pellet on a person trying to take cover at 100 meters, then I'm pretty confident I could hit a head at 100 with a real gun. I know how to zero a rifle, and after that as long as you take care of it, it really isn't that hard to aim. It would mostly be a case of getting used to the recoil. I use real capacity mags in my skirmishes, so I'm used to counting my shots and keeping an eye on ammo. I know more than I should when it comes to firearms. I always like to look things up and compare the real equipment to my own.

That said, living in east England I have rarely seen a gun let alone shoot or own one. But I do know several local locations they are kept, and when things get tough, people learn fast. My step father has served in the army, and I know more about the very weapons he has used than he does. I already know my way around a G36 and can reload one efficiently with my eyes closed. I know the most common faults in the older L85s and what to do about it. I wouldn't be caught off guard by the recoil of an SLR. All this may sound like some cliqued wannabe/know-it-all, but I'm positive that what I know could be of genuine value.

The issue with family and friends would be the toughest one. Though I would obviously aim to avoid part of that problem in the first place. I have actually often run through impossible situations in my head before. What would I do, and how far would I go. You can't really know until your there, but I sure as hell don't intend on turning into one of those whimpering fools in movies that messes everything up.

Lurker
Reputation score

I've had little experience shooting anything, especially off range. I do have some nifty survival skills, first aid knowledge, leadership ability, and luck, so that's got to count for something. I'm also pretty good at simple construction, stuff with wood and rope. I don't know about shooting turned family, but I'm pretty sure I'd at least dump liabilities pretty quickly.

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score

Actually, I'm confident most people could shoot a weapon. The point I was thinking about, and that I thought Sinful was making is can you shoot a person. Wether it's someone you know or not, you will still have to look in their eyes and pull the trigger. Granted theses are zombies, but they will still look like people. Trust me when I say it's never easy to say yes you would shoot someone or thing.

Kusanagi

Chief Nippleseer
Reputation score

I can use a bow and arrow fairly accurately :D

In all seriousness, though, the only guns I know I can use accurately are a sniper rifle and a shotgun.
As I prefer a shotgun, I would probably be the one popping out of cover first in the 'hunting' phase - as described in "The Zombie Survival Guide" by Max Brooks - yelling "suprise, cockfags!"

Tassadar

Panda King
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Actually, I'm confident most people could shoot a weapon. The point I was thinking about, and that I thought Sinful was making is can you shoot a person. Wether it's someone you know or not, you will still have to look in their eyes and pull the trigger. Granted theses are zombies, but they will still look like people. Trust me when I say it's never easy to say yes you would shoot someone or thing.
Shooting something is easy after the first time. More often than not, it only comes back to haunt you a while after the deed is done, when you have a few free moments to think about it. Fight or flight doesn't give room for morality. That, and if it had been long enough the zombies would only look very vaguely human anyway, so it would cease to be a problem.
You are right though, it is much easier to say you could than to prove it.

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score

I hate to burst your bubble, but the first time is probably the easiest after that it starts to build up and get worst. Of course no two people react the same way, nor do they react the same way every time.

Also Kusa if you can use a sniper rifle accurately than you should be able to use most any other gun accurately. With the exception of handguns maybe they are quite different.

ZeroSpace

Lurker
Reputation score

Well, I have no skills that would be useful really, but I would be able to stay calm and think logically, like not shooting a zombie 100 miles away from me. And like I said before, it's not about 'killing' zombies, its about staying alive and the hell away from them so as long as the zombies are what we think they are (Slow, dead, no thinking) we are pretty much fine as long as you are not in a hot zone or anything. And as to family... I really wouldn't want to shot anyone at all but I'd shoot them anyways cause they aren't really my 'family' anymore and well... I wouldn't want to die in the hands of my family that I know, I'd rather they rest in peace then have their dead body moving around. And hm... as to moving away from civilization I'd use something call a car and just drive through places till I find people or unaffected places or an isolated place.

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Also Kusa if you can use a sniper rifle accurately than you should be able to use most any other gun accurately. With the exception of handguns maybe they are quite different.
Yeah, I tend to shoot a rifle much better than a pistol. As a defense, I've never really trained with one because us Canucks don't get issued a sidearm, unless your an officer. However, I know my way around them pretty well.

I'm also TCCC qualified, which is basically uber first aid. I know my shit, cause I've used it, and saved lives with it.

However, on foot is not always a good way to go about things. Sure in a forest it might be the best way. But think of an armoured bus. This is also my downfall, I don't know how to hotwire a vehicle. Does anyone here know how to?

Nunu

Despot
Former Admin
Reputation score

You'd want me around when the imminent zombie invasion occurs, being a jack of all trades means that i can do everything. also all signs point to me being a pretty decent shot, this is quite useful in Australia due to the lower population density (hence zombie density) and the extreme lack of weapons and ammunition (the only thing i'd be able to get my hands on easily outside of kitchen knives is my 40 pound composite bow, speaking of that its good because of its reusable ammunition but would it do enough damage to take down a zombie).

at the end of the day its also convenient to have someone who can make meals out of more or less anything.

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Cooking... always a good thing!

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score

I don't see a use for a handgun against zombies really, but it could help to gather food or against the humans who would inevitably turn to raiding. Since you could hit them anywhere. Never hunted with a bow so I don't know if it could penentate a skull, but I think it would. Yes cooking is always a good thing luckily SERE taught me to eat just about anything.

Nunu

Despot
Former Admin
Reputation score

a 35 pound composite bow should penetrate a skull, killing a normal person pretty well, but it doesn't fracture like a bullet so i dont know how much it would do. as for hunting, 35 pounds just isn't enough. my dad used to hunt with a 70 pound bow and he still had to slit throats after the animal had gone down.

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score

Well to be honest I don't really know how to kill a zombie, never really come up for some reason. If you have to seperate the brain from the body it probably wouldn't work but it might who knows this is all hypothetical anyways.