What's new

ACT Unknown/Hiatus [Zicare] Unforbidden

Zikare

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
Re: Unforbidden (platformer)

Hey everyone.

I see a lot of cynicism and I guess I deserve it. I chickened out and didn't post a "project is on hiatus" message.

There wasn't a definitive date when I thought "oh, you can't work on this project anymore," rather, I tried to split my time with freelancing. As I've written on my blog, it pays well, but we're usually the guys who get crazy deadlines because we don't have overtime pay and our compensation can be haggled about :rolleyes:

So step by step, I got behind on my game and soon it was months since the last post.

Anyway, I'm trying to grow some balls here and get this back together now. I kept my identity and revealed what happened.

Let me respond to a few things:

So tired of all these starving artists and their life woes. If it's not a 'broken computer' its a lack of money. The best way to approach small scale indie development like this is to get a full time job and just put a few hours each night into your game. Living off of your savings is the single dumbest thing you could possibly do. I realize not everyone has a choice, but if you get to that stage, you need to re-evaluate your life goals. Sometimes you need to abandon your dreams.
I really suck at doing a full-time job and splitting my attention with a moonlighting gig. It's exactly what I tried for the first year and sorry, I don't have the energy to do both.

So for three years I've put away every penny and yes, I'm now absolutely going to do "the single dumbest thing I can possibly do" :D

I'm surprised more people aren't frustrated about the "My game idea didn't work so I'm going to go to Patreon" idea. I think that starting up a Patreon following a 3 YEAR disappearance is the exact wrong method of trying to gather supporters... Because I sure as hell won't be pledging anything. Does he expect to have any trust from people when he's come back from a 3 year hiatus without any work finished?

I guess best of luck to him, but if he thinks that patreon will suddenly solve his financial issues I think he's foolishly positive.
What I think is that I have one year to finish my game, that's all :p

To prove that I can finish things, I postponed a Patreon launch and I'm completing + releasing a smaller game before going back to Unforbidden. That probably won't convince everyone I've burned, but I think it's a start.

I'm perfectly fine if most people prefer to watch from a distance whether this is for real or not. My path to redemption has to start somewhere... :eek:

I have no financial issues for the next 12 months (and hopefully a bit longer). Even if I fail, I hope to at least finish my game this time before going back to freelancing or employment.

The comments on his blog have to be approved so...
So far I haven't deleted or left unpublished a single comment.

I was expecting a lot more flak myself (which was one of the reasons I chickened out posting for so long).

Too bad that he's not going to actively work on Unforbidden. Not all that interested in "small animation loops" to be honest, but still nice to know where he's been and that he's back.
I will.

This is the plan: .

Going by the comments on my blog, more people than not want to me to immediately resume work on Unforbidden rather than do mini games. As soon as I have finished my current mini game (aiming for this or the next week) I'll have to decide what next. There's a pretty good chance Unforbidden will be next.

Last edited:

nightshad

Tentacle God
Reputation score

not to sound asholess but screenshots are just screenshots. show us a working game. fix whats broken on the game you started and failed to finish

hard to take anyone serious if they keep making new games but never finish the one they said they would. keep your word is more important then anything when it comes to dev games.

textbook703

Evard's Tentacles of Forced Intrusion
Reputation score

ITT: a lot of conjecture, life advice, and psychoanalysis from teenagers, shut-ins, and perverts.

Don't take it personally, Zikare. You're only guilty of getting anxious when pressured to be creative on a deadline -- something that happens to everyone, and isn't a big deal. The people that liked your stuff will come back.

I do want to say that you should be wary of living off your savings. You might be the sort of person who finds their creativity gets suffocated by anxiety when they work on a deadline.

bumpywolf

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score

Hey everyone.
Im soo happy that you are back :D your game have alot of potential and i checked you blog for more than 2 years, just when i lost hope u came back :p time to get into the HYPE train again :D

PS. dont forget to add a wolf in your new 2 small games :p

Last edited:

Zikare

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

Sorry, I guess I can't make everyone happy at that same time.

If I had resumed working on Unforbidden right away, there would be angry people saying "you didn't finish it in your first attempt, so why would you now?" It would seem exactly like what @thswherizat said.

If I do a minigame before resuming Unforbidden, a few people will get angry seeing me work on something else, but at least when I resume Unforbidden I can point at the minigame and say "look there, I can finish stuff" :p

-

Anyway, thanks @textbook703 for the words of caution. It's a double-edged sword, the other side being that now I've burned my bridges and the only way that remains is forward...

I'll keep working on my stuff and eventually show a new build.

Last edited:

Zikare

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

Im soo happy that you are back :D your game have alot of potential and i checked you blog for more than 2 years, just when i lost hope u came back :p time to get into the HYPE train again :D

PS. dont forget to add a wolf in your new 2 small games :p

Seeing the sentiment for Unforbidden, I'll probably put the next project to the vote already. So it's either Unforbidden itself or one from this selection of smaller games: . Some with wolves, some with other critters :D

Lichchimp

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

Wow, I finally gave up on this project a few months ago..

Welcome back =D

JuKJuKlyt

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score

It is nice to see this game back from the dead. I used to like this game a lot.

However I hope you upgrade the graphics and game play, as well as I hope that you end up adding some RPG mechanics to it. (Such as items, clothes, and going full on horny or pure girl)

I hope that this time we can actually see this game getting finished. Also if you ever need more incentives to finish the game, you could checkout patreon and some very popular 3D games there; such as : patreon - adeptussteve

bumpywolf

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score

Seeing the sentiment for Unforbidden, I'll probably put the next project to the vote already. So it's either Unforbidden itself or one from this selection of smaller games: . Some with wolves, some with other critters :D
Unforbidden all the way, why try the small dishes when you already tried the main dish :p

Its ok that you care about your fanbase and hatters, but i think working on unforbidden is the awnser, its the game that gather all that people around you, your game game and your blog, the same ppl that tell you that you cant finish a game will still say nasty stuff to you, thats what being famous is, its a world full of hatters, so dont care about that and just focus in your game, maybe adding a poll for game content can work but even without a poll your game is already awsome, keep it up! :D

Renmaru

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

*spits out drink* Holy F*** he's alive!

Honestly I was under the impression something might have happened to you Zikare, glad to see you back. Hope this means good things for the future :)

Just, please don't vanish without a trace again, please?

ElPresidente

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

I vote for whichever one involves futanari.

Given that Unforbiddeni involves genetic experiments and crazy lust virus, I see futanari and female enemies as very possible.
and I hope I'm right.

Make it so Zikare.

Dyhart

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score

Well I never thought I'd see this resurface.

But that's a big pleasant surprise. Best of luck, because the content that was in the game was simply incredible.

textbook703

Reputation score

Well I never thought I'd see this resurface.

But that's a big pleasant surprise. Best of luck, because the content that was in the game was simply incredible.
Yeah I have tugged it to Unforbidden so many times that I actually feel bad when I do it now. I think to myself "come on. You've tugged it to this for YEARS. It's just a bunch of 3d models wiggling in patterns alongside randomized captions you've long since memorized. How are you letting yourself be aroused by this?"

Then I continue, obviously. But an effort is made, and that's what counts

Johnny Johnson

Reputation score
The dialogue/corruption system in the demo really gave this game a ton of potential. Sadly, while the dev seemed to want to make the game, he just never got past the boars and wolves. The next update was supposedly going to have horses and the bulging belly thing was going to be fixed but oh well.

thswherizat

Reputation score
To prove that I can finish things, I postponed a Patreon launch and I'm completing + releasing a smaller game before going back to Unforbidden. That probably won't convince everyone I've burned, but I think it's a start.

I'm perfectly fine if most people prefer to watch from a distance whether this is for real or not. My path to redemption has to start somewhere... :eek:
Since this was bumped, I get to brag about his stated 'path to redemption' that never took off. I would love to see the game continue but after a failed restart I have even less hope than before.