What's new

A rant about gaming.

Alias

Lurker
Reputation score
Hello all, new member Alias here, again hoping to provide some meaningful discussion. This time I want to get my anger about the gaming industry out in the open. Since you don't know, I am an aspiring game designer. My major is declared as Game Design and Development, or GDD. I am a competent programmer, and a somewhat-less-than-adequate artist. I know several programming languages, including C++, C#, Java, and ActionScript. I have played many games over the past years of my life, not as many as I would like to, but more than perhaps the average person. This is something I've been mulling over in my head for a while.

My view of games is that they are a form of art, not just entertainment for the masses. Unfortunately, I think that is a line that has become blurry or nonexistent lately. Let's go back and look at forms of entertainment. Dance. Music. Cinema. Theater. Animation (cartoons). All of these are also classed as Arts. Other arts include photography and making pictures with a variety of materials, from wood to stone to canvas to notebook paper, from charcoal to oil pastels to simple graphite pencils. Writing is another huge one, whether it's simple dialogue or an epic. What do games have in common with these? Well... they incorporate almost EVERY one of them. Games have soundtracks. Games have sound effects that must be recorded or synthesized. Games have animation, movies, some have photos, some have singing, most have acting, if only with their voices, some even have motion acting (a few memorable titles include that awful flop Enter the Matrix and Guitar Hero 3).

So what am I supposed to do in this corporate world? Games aren't considered art by most people. For the producers, they are made in order to make money. This is why you have companies like Bungee, who rehash the same game over and over for one reason: PEOPLE WILL BUY IT. People don't want art. People want entertainment. What better way to spend 50 dollars on 50 or more hours of entertainment? Sure beats going to the movies. Let's go to the MMO scene. People pay 10 dollars a month for something they spend an average of 3 hours a day on, not counting the powergamers or gold farmers that spend 18. 3 * 30 = 300 hours worth of entertainment... for just ten bucks. Games are by far the cheapest source of entertainment there is. Who would pay 10 bucks per old movie when they could have 100 times the entertainment length, and only buy one or two movies every so often? The CEOs know this and so they cater to what people want: entertainment. To hell with things like quality: good design, memorable characterization, thought-out story, all of it.

What does this result in? Perhaps 99% of games that are produced are utter trash. Games are made out of Brittany Spears for crying out loud. They're crap, but the Spears fanboys and girls will buy them... which results in cash flow to the producers. What barriers did Halo 2 break? Halo 3? From what I could tell, they were simply the same thing as the first one Bungee made - eye candy and mindless entertainment.

Now take a game like Narbacular Drop. For those of you that don't know, it was this game that inspired Portal, from Valve, the same company that brought Half-Life on the scene. Hopefully one of those names rings a bell. If not, Wiki them.
Narbacular Drop put something never-before seen on the gaming market. And how much money did the producers get? None. They made it for the art of it, because they had a cool idea and wanted to turn it into a living, breathing entity, much like the household name Leonardo Da Vinci painted. He didn't paint for money. Sure he got money for some of his work (at least I would hope he got some sustenance for something like the Sistine Chapel) but most of it was just because he wanted to do it.

How many games are there on the market like Narbacular Drop? Ones that break boundaries and do something that nobody had ever done before? Sure, not every game can be like that - human creativity simply isn't like that. If every idea was a completely new and different one, we would all either be immortal archangels or have destroyed the planet thousands of years ago. And I'm not saying that games that don't do something new and fresh are bad. Take Chrono Trigger for example. Nothing groundbreaking there. Yet it remains to be seen by me personally as one of the best games ever produced, for its superb characterization, story, and gameplay.

But nowadays, companies don't want to put quality in their games. They want to put something out on the market that people will buy. Mostly, this boils down to something that affiliates itself with something else popular, like a movie or an actor or singer, or simple eye candy. OOO WOW that game looks PURDY! This last is what Assassin's Creed boils down to. Storyline: what storyline? It ENDED a third of the way through! Gameplay: boring, one-dimensional, and uninteresting. Jumping from platform to platform... kinda fun to watch, but incredibly uninteresting since all you're doing is holding spacebar and W. Combat is nonexistent, just sit there holding right click and occasionally left click. But damn, it has HAWT graphics. Which is why some people think it's an awesome game.

Well, I am not one of those who will cater to the graphic whores out there. I want to make a meaningful game, one that will make you think about something important, like the human condition, or something else grand and philosophical. Ever play Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of a New World? Well I'm going to spoil the storyline for you.

Edit: Ah ha!!! NEW FUNCTIONZ
The main antagonist throughout the game, Richter, wants to open the door to Nifleheim, the demonic realm (a sort of parallel to the Christian Hell). Later on, you find out that you, the protagonist, Emil, are actually his archnemesis. You see, you're not really Emil. You are Lord Ratatosk, a spirit charged with guarding the door to the demonic realm. Richter and his best friend, Aster, were researching spirits like Ratatosk and made their way into the realm where the door was, a sort of alternate dimension. They wanted to ask him something, I don't remember what it was, I think it had something to do with restoring balance in the world. Ratatosk, angered that humans would dare to ask him for a favor after destroying the World Tree, the source of all life, in their human wars, killed Aster and was in turn struck down by Richter. When Ratatosk woke, he blocked out his memories and took the identity of Emil and the appearance of Aster. Throughout the latter half of the game, you play thinking that Richter wants to trade the world to the demons in order for the resurrection of his dead friend, Aster. When you come to the gate, you fight Richter, and beat him, and learn that his plan was actually to kill Ratatosk once and for all, to avenge his dead friend, open the door when its guardian was dead, and resurrect Aster with the demon's power. You already knew this. What you didn't know was what he planned after. Richter, having revived Aster, planned on using the mana of his body (mana = life force in this world) to seal the door to the demonic realm by burning it. Mana is anathema to demons, so they would not be able to pass through the door with Richter, his mana aflame, standing in the way. He would do this by using a stone that would limitlessly regenerate his mana, but burning one's very life force is understood to be excruciatingly painful.

It's this sort of thing that I mean. The antagonist was willing to go through an eternity of unbearable pain in order to save his dead friend and keep the world safe at the same time from the spirit who wanted to extinguish all human life. When you finish that game, you sit down and think for a while. You're like, whoah. Imagine if every human were willing to make that sort of sacrifice for the sake of their friend. I want to make games like that. But the fact is, most people don't spend money on them. How am I to provide for myself and my family when people only want mindless entertainment, instead of something that makes you think? The amount of money a company makes producing games like that simply won't allow them to continue doing it. Hiring talented composers, effects techies, visual artists, good voice acting (how many games have you played that actually had decent voice acting? pfft)... it all costs a ridiculous amount of money. Money that won't be refunded, because people don't want what that makes.

Thoughts?

Edit: Sigh, just noticed the rant thread. >< Sorry. I think I would have posted it here anyway, though, because I really want to know if people agree/disagree/any opinions they might have as opposed to just yelling about something to get it off my chest. Mods... ok/not ok?

Last edited:

Obeliskos

Tentacle God
Reputation score
Re: A rant about gaming.

I really want to know if people agree/disagree/any opinions they might have as opposed to just yelling about something to get it off my chest.
The thread is also intended to discuss rants. But I don't call the shots, so you got lucky... this time.

ZeroSpace

Lurker
Reputation score

Hm... I guess I understand your idea.
But I guess I'd rather write a story than make a game too much work for me lol.
But if you are willing to work for what you belive for, you should stand up and get working, things don't happen cause you got it off your chest.
Now, I guess some games are really the same as their last ones and probably will be the same as the next one, but we will buy them cause we liked them, so what the producers aim for is money, and if we'll waste money on them, I say let us, but if some people out there are willing to create games for free, we will say our thanks, and enjoy the games they have to offer.
And if they share your belive in making good games...
Aim for a impression that will change what we think about games.

OP
A

Alias

Lurker
Reputation score

That's all good advice. But the fact is, making a game takes a lot of work. I don't want to make a game with a good story and bad everything else. I want to make everything. The problem is, I also need to put food on my table, and the cost would exceed the revenue by factor of about fourty. I don't have that kind of money to use just because I want to.

And you kind of make my point in your post. People will spend their money on the mindless entertainment, even when truly excellent games ARE out there. There are some games that have been produced that meet my stringent standards. There just aren't many. And there will never be many, because people don't pay for them. And none of those has changed the way people think about games. So I'm at an impasse.

ZeroSpace

Lurker
Reputation score

Surprisingly, I found a lot of games lacking in story, I have seen so many different stories I can almost tell what will happen next in the story, I want something completely different and that itself would be hard. Which is why I like to write something, and try to avoid as much as cliché as possible to create something new.
And about making money, if you want to make money you can, just lower the price. Kinda impossible still, but it would be nice lol.
Now, about your so called 'good' games, I've played a few of them, most of them was a series that held the same 'basic layout', something in common that makes a game. You could introduce something entirely different every game you make, but why do that when you can introduce something entirely different on the market only and stick to it?
It might be the same thing over and over again, but at least it's not over done by all the other games, which is what I like.
Something other games don't have, a system, weather it be battle, item, tactic, party, etc. It has to stand out, thats what makes the 'good' games good, the pricelessness it contains for making it such a good game.

OP
A

Alias

Lurker
Reputation score

I found a lot of games lacking in story
This. I power through a 700 page novel in a week, and that's only if I am doing some light reading before bed every night. If I am actively reading, more like a day or two, maybe three. I LIKE GOOD STORY. A game without story to me isn't a game, it's just mindless entertainment.

Hmmm.... taking my idea into moderation. Not sure if I could do that. In terms of design, I'm kind of in the mindset of go big or go home. I would want the best musical composer of the world, the best voice actors of the world, the best story writers in the world, all working for me. That's what I meant when I said OMG2Muchmoneyz. But if you say working with only one unique concept and running with it... Meh, that's sort of what I'm doing now. I'm in the middle of making a rough outline of a game system that I haven't seen before. The problem is, I haven't played every game in the world, so how do I know it hasn't been done before? I could ask, but then run the risk of someone stealing the idea. Even when I tossed the idea to my girlfriend, she immediately came up with a parallel. "Oh that's what they do in such and such." I haven't quite lost hope because it was an anime and not a game, but still. What good is my creativity if it's been done before, never mind the fact that I thought of it on my own?

I'll think about what you said, though.

ZeroSpace

Lurker
Reputation score

Ideas are sprung from the minds of others.
I do that sometimes, what it means to me is that you could create a whole new story by combining so many clichés that one can't call it a cliché because the cliché would be so mixed together it's unprediciable.
Thats what you could do, combine ideas with yours.
It might not be totally original, but what you are aiming for would be better than just doing the same thing others are doing.
And a saying I hope I made up...
Don't ask for the best, MAKE the best.

OP
A

Alias

Lurker
Reputation score

Unfortunately, game design is not a single person making a game. It takes many people. One person can't compose all the music, do all the programming, make all the graphics, do all the marketing.

Well they could, but they'd die of old age before they finished. Certainly I can MAKE the best battle system I can think of. But I can't do it all. Not in one lifetime.

But yeah, what you're saying about ideas is absolutely true. Even the idea I'm talking about was inspired by... fuck I forget the name. SRPG H-game. Main character's name was Hakuoro. Isometric Fire Emblem type with hentai. Oh well maybe you know what I'm talking about. It was translated by Mirror Moon. Also by Aidyn Chronicles. It's sort of a combination and continuation of some ideas from those games' battle systems. I'm not concerned with total originality - that's impossible, because, as you said, everything is inspired by something else. I just don't want to make something that's a rehash of something else.

ZeroSpace

Lurker
Reputation score

You seem to have misunderstood what I was trying to say.
You don't need the best to make the best, you just need to take the shot to try and make it the best.
So please, don't try to do it in your whole life time by yourself, cause 'I' might be too old to play it by then lol.

OP
A

Alias

Lurker
Reputation score

Ahaha, point taken.

DarkFire1004

Tentacle Goddess of the H-Section
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reputation score

Maybe we should look at the beginnings of video gaming. Why did we first invent those games? Because it was new technology and people wanted to profit from it. The only problem was that to make this new technology shine, people had to incorporate art into it. Video gaming was always an entertainment industry before an artistic development. It's only in recent years that people are starting to turn that around.

I'm not saying you're wrong in that video games are considered art. I can see all the life some developers breathe into their creations. However, the video game industry will always be the entertainer first. If a programmer really wanted to tell an amazing story, he would simply write it down or draw it. The reason he makes it a video game is because he wants to make entertainment as well. Otherwise, he wouldn't make his creation interactive.

It's kind of a weird twist in the hentai world though. Look at all the h-novels out there. Pretty much all of them claim to be a video game. But what are they really? They're just artwork with dialogue and sounds. In an opposite move of video games, the creators try to make their art and turn it into entertainment rather than a form of expressing themselves (Then again hentai overall wasn't exactly made to express oneself).

Of course people are going to consider video games entertainment rather than art. They made it interactive. Sure, interactive doesn't have to mean it's not art, but there's absolutely no other reason they would make it interactive besides making it entertaining.

I think you're being a little stereotypical when it comes to CEOs of video game companies, though. Sure, in the back of their minds they want their company to succeed. Who doesn't? But I'm pretty sure it's safe to say that almost everybody joined the industry because they enjoy making quality products that others can enjoy.

Let's take your Assassin's Creed example. You said that the storyline basically sucked and the gameplay wasn't any better. Do you really think all those months they had it in development was just them doing nothing? You may have thought it sucked, but there was still evidence that the company really did take their time to try to make something good.

The combat system, for example. Do you notice how the combat was mapped together according to Altair's body? Or that they gave the choice of making the fights actually exciting? Most people either did counters, or slashed like crazy. You don't have to fight conventionally. That's why they made him an assassin. You could steathily flee, lure them to traps, or even be a man and face them with your fists. It's the player that is the final judge of the game, and some players just don't look at the full scale.

But let's move on from that. More on the whole "The public doesn't like the game, so they won't buy it," This, to be honest, seems a little whiny to me, no offense. You're not entering an industry where a person displays his creations for others to admire. You're entering an industry that was always designed to make money out of people's talents as well as give them something fun to do. Therefore, it's the players that have the final say in it.

If some FPS idiot doesn't like an RPG, it's because he simply likes to be entertained with shooting things. If a person wants to be blown away by artful creations, he'd get those artful creations. But if you say you're not going to create what others want you to create and then complain about how the things that people don't like aren't getting enough attention, you're not helping the situation at all. By not catering to the public, you're still going to go unnoticed. If you start to cater to the public, that probably means you sacrificed some of those artful elements to make the game run more smoothly. Either way you've stuck yourself in a loop and there's no way out.

All in all from what I've read, you basically said that people should pay more attention to those games that delve deeply into art, and not the games that are there to make a quick buck. On the flip side, though, that basically says people shouldn't enjoy the games that they like simply because someone else's game isn't as fun in the person's eyes. And that's what I don't like about your rant. I see you saying that people can't enjoy the games they want to enjoy simply for the sake of art.

Of course, I'm pretty sure that's not what you were trying to say and it's just my devil's advocate side turning on right now, and I understand what you mean when you say you don't know how to support yourself while still indulging in creating art. Well it's simple. What's more important to you? Your life or your passion? You said how da Vinci did what he did simply because he wanted to. You're implying that you want to be like da Vinci. If that's the case, then stop worrying about what other people are playing and just release your art for those who are willing to play. If you're not trying to be da Vinci, I suggest you either stop these rants and just give into the public demand, or start getting really good at programming.

.... What the hell did I just type? Seriously. I had absolutely no idea what message I was trying to get across. Let me try this in a tl;dr sentence:

People like what they want. In the video game industry, your opinion doesn't matter. So if you want art, you're either going to have to suck it up or just make your art regardless of other people's opinions.

(I think that's what I wanted to say in my insomniac state of mind...)

Lurker
Reputation score

You used films as an example; but not every film has a good story. Many of them don't. And sometimes watching a good story can be taxing. I was tired when I finished watching the dark knight, worn out from the suspense and madness, but it was a good film. Sometimes though you just want to see the mindless action flick, the popcorn cinema meant to entertain you at the very edges of attention, so you can relax. That's what Halo is. That is, to a large degree, what most games are: Purely escapists pursuits, meant to amuse you. And some of these games have surprising depth to them. Street Fighter can be won by button mashing or spamming, but it can also be won by perfectly timed combos and skill.

In the long run I'd rather have a game that was fun to play with a hackneyed storyline than a game that was art but difficult to play. There are a great many other considerations that must be made because this is an interactive media: How much control do we have over the protagonist? A creation mode can help immerse the player, but may not fit the story or be available given the size of the rest of the game on the disk. What tools do you give the player, and when? We can't have players opening the highest level right away, where's he challenge? What view do you use? First or third makes a difference, at least in how much the player gets to see. How hard do you make it? Frustration is the leading cause of never finishing the game. Games are ultimately about having fun. If they can entertain you by making you part of a grander storyline that's all well and good, but often times pretty colors are easier and more effective because they are less subjective.

TL;DR: Game>Story IMHO

Caulder

Is completely fucking irrelevant. And he's a bitch
RP Moderator
Reputation score

.....Alias brings up a good point.

While video games are indeed a way for companies to make money, that does not mean they need to be shitty. I'm one of the few gamers out there who cares only for the storyline and gameplay. If the story sucks, I'm sure as shit not gonna buy it. Graphics can be the best there ever will be, but so long as the story sucks, it's not a game, just something with a tiny bit of effort.

Which is why I am waiting on the next installment of Mass Effect 2. The first one had an epic storyline, great gameplay, and fairly good graphics. That is an example of a good game. If you do not cater to the online gamers and make a game with only a single-player option, you will make a great game. Look at Fallout 3. Perfect game, no online, and epic storyline. Same for all the other single-player only games. Which are perfect games, IMHO.

That's the end of this idiot gamer's statement.

OP
A

Alias

Lurker
Reputation score

@dark:
No I understand what you're trying to say. I am whining a bit, because it's upsetting to me. I'll give you an example. Ever heard of Syberia? It's one of those point and click puzzle-solving adventure games like Myst. Beautiful landscapes, a wonderful, quaint little town that was almost magical in that all of its machines ran entirely by clockwork, basically a game that managed to produce the fairy-tale sort of setting that enchanted the user and makes you feel as if the game is really alive. Puzzles were great. Story was great. You're in pursuit of a man who is questing for Syberia, a mythical land with an ancient, forgotten people. He has created a clockwork train that will run to Syberia.

Throughout the game, you get closer and closer to finding Hans, your quarry, and finding more and more about Syberia, and then when you finally find Hans, the game ends.

You don't even get to see Syberia... which is what the title was. WTF devs. Finish your game. One of the biggest disappointments in my history of gaming. It was like reading a fantastic prologue, then the first couple chapters of an engrossing novel, only to have it end before it began. Total gameplay time: 5 hours.

But dark, you're right. I am being a little stereotypical. I'm sure many of the people in the industry got into it because of their love for the art. Unfortunately, that just doesn't show in the average quality of games now days. Probably because of the pyramidal structure. Devs want to do their art, but they also want income to pay the bills. So if what their superior tells them to do doesn't really sit with their ideals... well, tough luck. Ideals don't feed.

Let's debate Assassin's Creed. No I do not think the months in development were for nothing. It takes a LOT of work to create a game that runs as well and looked as gorgeous as Assassin's Creed. I won't deny that the play was smooth and the thing looked beautiful. I run on a 3.0ghz quad core, 640mb 8800 gts, 4 g ram box, so I can run it on max settings and I can, without hesitation, tell you that it was gorgeous.

Unfortunately, that was all it had going for it. Let's talk about the kills, the main part of the game. What comes to my mind when you say the word "Assassin" is something much like a ninja. A shadow slips in and slips out, and nobody notices the target is even dead until the shadow is long gone. Did they ever give you an option to do this? No. The best you could do was try to get close to your target without getting noticed, which was often more difficult and more time consuming than simply rushing through all the guards. It's a game about assassinations, not public lynchings. The stealth kills weren't even rewarded, as every guard within a twenty mile radius would instantly know you were there as soon as you so much as touched your target and start attacking. Ever play any of the Splinter Cell games? That's what stealth killing should be all about. Get in, get out, leave a body, and nobody knows you were even there. I'm not talking about the mechanics - the hiding in shadows wouldn't work for AC - but as far as blending in the crowd, getting close to your target, and then bringing him down without so much as a flick of the eyes from the guards, THAT'S what AC should have been about.

I did like the escape mechanisms. I liked that you could blend in with scholars and use vigilantes to aid your escape. I thought that part of the game was done well. I also liked the way they made the game a "memory by use of the Animus.

But let's take a look at the other stuff. Mini-games, for example. Pickpocket, find X flags, yadda yadda, all to gain "information" on your target. The same four or five minigames that weren't all that fun to begin with, to get information that's worthless to you. You never use any of it in any way, beyond finding out where your target is. You don't sneak around a fortress, knowing the timing of the changing of the guard beforehand. You don't avoid any sorts of traps because you did the silly minigames. Sure they gave the illusion of depth, but when you can just ignore all of that and charge straight in, go for the kill, and run out because you're basically invincible, those things are revealed for what they are - tacky add-ons in a lame attempt to add gameplay value.

Extras. Side quests. All that is in this category are the collecting of each flag. A boring, repetitive task, that doesn't get you a single thing when you complete it. You don't get a fancy new weapon, or a cool new skill. You get nothing. I am a hardcore completionist; there is rarely a game I've played that I haven't done everything there is to do in it (and if you take Tales of Symphonia as an example, that's a LOT of playing). But there was zero incentive for me to find all those flags. I made a halfhearted attempt and stopped, because it was just boring and I wouldn't get anything for it anyway.

You're right when you say the player makes the game. But there are two fundamental laws of human behavior that you're overlooking:
Law 1. Humans will always either take the path of least resistance OR
Law 2. They will always take the path that is more rewarding.

Combine this and you get: Humans will always take the path that is easiest and has the most for them to gain. The only variation for this is how people decide what path has the most for them to gain, and how they weigh reward versus ease. For example, some might not care about reward at all and simply go for what is easier, or they might only go for rewards, but out of 2 paths that are both equally rewarding, the human will always choose the easier of the two.

Therefore, there are not many people that will take advantage of the fact that AC does offer some options. You get no reward for doing things differently. There are no 100% bonuses for getting a stealth kill, and in fact it's impossible to kill your target without getting noticed, so you don't even get the full sense of accomplishment.

I guess my beef with AC is that it had a TON of potential, and the devs just cut it short and put it out on the market like it was. I was expecting body-mapped combat to be far more interesting than it was. But you can't even headbutt using the head tool. You can't use poison. You can't do much of anything that a real assassin could. Which left me feeling like the game was extremely limited.

End rant about AC... on to the other parts of your post.

You have misunderstood my intent a little, but I can see how you could take that from what I said. I don't have a problem with the players who just want to blow stuff up. Hell, I play counter-strike on occasion when I need to burn off some excess rage. I'm as guilty as anybody. What I have a problem with are the developers of games that could have been quality, but aren't. Like AC. Or Syberia.

I'm also not trying to dispute the fact that people will always like different things. Valve, for example, made Half-Life, a fantastic single-player game. I never finished it because it doesn't interest me, but I still regard it quite highly in my mind as something that contributed to the gaming world. But they made it multifaceted. Using the same game engine, they created multiple other games, including CS and TF, where people who aren't so much interested in the storyline an get their rocks off by killing people and blowing stuff up. They even released these in an easy-to-use package. I wish more developers would do that.

Which brings me to my conclusion to my incredibly long winded response to your post. I'm not really saying I want to be like Da Vinci, though I do. What I'm saying is, I wish ALL developers were like Da Vinci. I wish every game-making company would put quality first, and money second. My rant is more about wishful thinking than anything. "Wouldn't it be great if...." while knowing it will never happen.
Who knows, though. Maybe I'll create a game that will change the face of the world. *shrug* One can dream.

@newbie: You're right. In every form of art I mentioned, there have been examples of bad art. Some people just don't have the talent. As far as game design goes, however, I don't see any excuse in making a game that COULD have been great and shipping it out early just because it looks pretty. Especially when games are made by a TEAM. Don't have a specific talent? Hire someone who does.

@Burrito: Agreed. I enjoyed my several playthroughs of ME. Looking forward to the next one. Still haven't played any of the Fallouts... but planning to. Soon. After I get my life back on track.

Kusanagi

Chief Nippleseer
Reputation score

Assassin's Creed did kinda of leave me wanting for something... more, in it. Like Alias said, I thought I'd pull something like in Splinter Cell; get in, assassinate, get out, nobody knows it happened until morning. Other than that, I loved the game, even the side quests (though those flags can burn in he deepest bowels of hell).

While video games have come a long ways since their first creation, they are still entertainment, pure and simple. Take the new Red Faction game, for example. Your main goal is to blow up/destroy as much property as you can. Sure, the idea has been done, but the amount of ways to do it is staggering. The storyline has been done to death, and the graphics aren't the most astounding, but it's a game that is and will continue to fly off shelves; and it's all because it's meant to entertain the audience, not be new or original.

Seeing as how Devs are only human, there's never going to be a time when ALL of them put quality ahead of money.
The problem is, developers and publishers are often on two different wavelengths. one wants a quality game, whereas the other wants it out by a specific time or it gets the axe.

BLARGLE

What I'm trying to say, is that the way games get made, it's hard to make a quality game due to time constraints. I'm sure if companies weren't rushed, there would be more awesome games out there (R.I.P. Hellgate:London)

OP
A

Alias

Lurker
Reputation score

Yeah. I guess that's sort of what makes me sad. It's like the whole system is flawed, producing utter shit games more and more often. But I guess it's like that with a lot of products....

Lurker
Reputation score

@newbie:
You're right. In every form of art I mentioned, there have been examples of bad art. Some people just don't have the talent. As far as game design goes, however, I don't see any excuse in making a game that COULD have been great and shipping it out early just because it looks pretty. Especially when games are made by a TEAM. Don't have a specific talent? Hire someone who does.
I'm not talking about bad art, I think simple would be the best term. We need popcorn flicks and short stories just as much as we need masterpiece blockbusters and War and Peace. And movies usually have multiple writers, directors, and producers. Books usually have at least one editor working on them, as well as probably having input from any number of other sources, like friends or family. There will be games where the plot is contrived and the story cliched, but this does not make them bad. Being boring or broken makes them bad. A good game just needs to be fun, and that's an extremely subjective goal.

Momiji

Lurker
Reputation score

I'm not talking about bad art, I think simple would be the best term. We need popcorn flicks and short stories just as much as we need masterpiece blockbusters and War and Peace. And movies usually have multiple writers, directors, and producers. Books usually have at least one editor working on them, as well as probably having input from any number of other sources, like friends or family. There will be games where the plot is contrived and the story cliched, but this does not make them bad. Being boring or broken makes them bad. A good game just needs to be fun, and that's an extremely subjective goal.
THIS. Not every fucking game ever made has to a masterpiece and art, although games would most likely be taken in a more positive light if this were true. Also, the Halo series is successful for it's multiplayer gameplay in my eyes, and that's perfectly fine. In my eyes, video games are simply an evolutized (I think that's a word) way to tell a story. I just wish some games would actually TELL a story rather than being a shitpile of monkey farts. (looking at you here, Wii Fit and Wii Sports and all that other garbage)

Also, one of the games that has a extremely interesting (although somewhat depressing) storyline for me, is, of course, GTA IV. I love the characters in that game, and what they have to go through and the kind of choices you have to make are fascinating to me. Do you let a drug dealer, who, although pleading that he will try to make something better of himself, will most likely return to his trade live? Or do you kill him in cold blood? And that hardly effects the storyline at all! What about your friend's old girlfriend who basically took all his money? Do you let her live out of kindness? Or do you kill her for what she's done? I love choices like that, even if they don't effect the storyline or the characters all that much.

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Well, you are saying there is a huge splurge of crap games, when I see lots of good ones.

I picked up Fable 2, Farcry 2. Fallout 3, Resident Evil 5, and Brothers in Arms: Hells Highway. Those will keep me entertained, yes entertained, for a good while. I play games because I want to have fun, and if a good story comes with it, awesome.

Now, you've listed only a few games, and while there is lots of crap out there I agree, there is always personal opinion. For example, there are plenty who hate the Halo series, Burrito for example, but I personal had interest in the story, and while the single player wasn't anything grand I had a lot of fun with the multiplayer with friends. Lots of fun, which from what I gathered from your rant is something you don't think is important in games.
Call of Duty 4, crap story, good multiplay and campaign. Intense firefights and situations, and I am eagerly looking forward to its sequel.

The Gears of War series. Sure the first game didn't have much story in game, but I went looking around and found tons of backstory and history. I love it for so many reasons.

Mass Effect, its strongest point is story in my mind, as I find some of the core gameplay lacking compared to something like Rainbow Six Vegas (awesome games), but its good enough to still be fun. Which is something that I find key. If a game isn't fun I can't really enjoy myself playing. My key example of this is Clive Barker's Jericho. I was into the story, and the grotesque environments and everything. Clive Barker even made the game because he was making the argument that games are art (which I agree, but its not the point here). The game however, was not fun in my opinion. Very simplistic gameplay, and level layout (though design was awesome) which really degraded from the game, and I couldn't enjoy it, not even to get to the end and find out the secrets.

So, video games are an art yes, there is so much to them. They are however, still a form and source of entertainment, and to dismiss a game because it lacks story but has good gameplay seems silly in my own mind.

OP
A

Alias

Lurker
Reputation score

Hrrm. Maybe I've gotten a little sidetracked. My complaints are more toward the games that fulfill no aspect of being good. My personal prejudices against Halo aside, the series does fulfill a very important purpose for a game: it's fun. Like you said, that is extremely important. I think the point I was trying to make about it was the fact that Bungee didn't have any creativity in Halo 2 or 3, simply rehashing the same thing they created years ago for the sole purpose of making a sure buck. Not that the original Halo was one of the spectacular failures of a game that people will eat up even though it's trash.

Fun is integral to the gaming experience. If you're not having fun, then there is no point in playing it. The thing is, there are different types of fun. Personally, I have more fun slowly building things up from small things into big things, which is why I loved SimBrothel so much; I loved the progression. It's also why I occasionally dabble in MMOs (though only when the woman isn't around... unless she plays with you, there isn't enough time in one day to split between the two =( ). My idea of fun and yours are probably completely different. Another source of the confusion might be this. I wouldn't exactly call reading a book "fun." But I love to read. I enjoy playing games with an in-depth story for much of the same reason. Even though it might not be as "fun" as pawning noobs in Counter-Strike, or Soul Calibur, I still enjoy the story more than the mindless shoot'em'ups/hack'n'slashes. Take Skies of Arcadia... combat wasn't really that great, and I wouldn't exactly call the typical RPG-style fighting as "fun." But the story was so engrossing, I couldn't put it down.

So maybe fun is a subset of the more umbrella-term "enjoyment"? Maybe you're right and "fun" isn't all that important to me, but "enjoyment" is.

I hope I'm not confusing things further =(