What's new

About lurkers

Alias

Lurker
Reputation score
Hello all. I've been lurking around here for a couple months. Seems like a nice community - too small to have many of the usual forum trolls and/or douchebags. Some very nice rare uploads that I'd never even heard of before.
I wanted, for my coming-out-of-lurker phase, make my first post about lurking. I hope it will inspire some creative discussion (not arguments, hopefully). Namely, I wanted to explain my personal reasons for staying in the shadows and see if I can sway some others to at least see my point of view, if not agree with it. After all, I've seen a lot of lurker-hatred on this and other forums. And there's a good reason for that - these magnificent uploads are being handed out to the general public, with no questions asked, no payment tendered, no reward expected. It does seem a bit morally corrupt to just leech off of other people's work and not contribute anything in return, especially if all that would make you guys happy would be to actively post in a forum.
However, there is (as always) another side of the story. Bear with me while I get a little personal =D

I was brought up by a very christian, very puritanistic mother. Thus, my beliefs in some things as 'wrong' are very firm and set in my character. For example, I think rape is one of the worst crimes possible, probably even worse than murder.
For those wondering why I am posting on a forum that specifically caters to people who enjoy rape, especially tentacle rape, I will explain... the biggest turn-on for me is when a woman is turned on. I get off when they get off, so to speak. I love situations where they might not like it at first, but eventually love it. This is why I loved Riesz's storyline so much in the new Slave Maker (check out the hentai games forum if you don't know what I'm talking about - definitely worth the play through!)
Getting back on topic, I am and have always been a little ashamed of my darker perversions like tentacle rape and such. Though it has not stopped me from enjoying those perversions to the fullest, I will always be extremely secretive about them. Not even my girlfriend of six or seven years knows I am into tentacle rape. Admitting this, even to a forum of complete strangers where anonymity is supposedly guaranteed, makes me very uncomfortable.
Furthermore, as anybody with even the slightest know-how of networking will tell you, the so-called "anonymity" of the Internet is a nonexistent fraud. Anything and everything can be traced back to anybody. Worse, what if there is someone I know who frequents the same forum I come out in and recognize telltale signs of my life? I would never be able to live it down, even if they had the exact same proclivities I do. It would make things extremely awkward and I could probably never speak to that person again.
I guess what I'm trying to get across is, some basic part of me will always consider these desires as 'wrong.' That's why I'm more of a lurker than a contributer. Actually, this will be my first contribution to anything hentai-related ever...

So, knowing that, do any of you have a little less hostility toward lurkers?

Also, I have to add, I bear no ill will to those of you of this forum that are hostile to lurkers such as myself. There are very good reasons for it, and even if there weren't, the welcomes I've seem for such lurkers are warm and heartfelt - someone coming out of lurkerdom seems truly appreciated instead of publicly lynched.

Hope this provokes some thought-provoking discussion =)

ShadowWolfSBI

Chief Spam Hunter Why Are You Making Me Do This
Former Moderator
RP Moderator
Reputation score
Re: Beware: You will be KO'd by my introductory wall of text.

This really should have gone here since there is already a thread for introductions...

Gatorbait

*hic*
Reputation score

Yea shadow's probably right, either way good for you! I know that many people are afraid of being "Found out," so to speak. That's the big reason I don't post pics I take period. I'd be scared to death if my parents or bosses read my bondage thread and knew it was me!

Nunu

Despot
Former Admin
Reputation score

well he's put in a lot of effort and raised a new topic so i'm allow it doggy. Your probably right anyway but still...

I can honestly say that your post hasn't effected my opinion of lurkers in the slightest, mainly because i don't feel strongly about them in any fashion. How i see it is that we are essentially both missing out, they dont get our company and all the fringe benefits of active members (like some of the stuff that is passed around in PMs) and we don't get another person to contribute and help make our home here a little better. But i can't really hate them for it because posting is a deceptively exhausting activity, once you start you then have relationships which have to be maintained and it just snowballs from there.

I think most people here don't really hate lurkers, there just fun to pick on / scapegoat because they don't fight back by definition. kind of like saying a wizard did it if you catch my drift.

Also don't be put off by the lurker wars stories (like the part where i rip someones jaw off) there just a bit of fun and a way to keep our history alive.

Momiji

Lurker
Reputation score
Re: About lurkers

Despite how I was a co-creator of the Lurker Wars stories, I honestly never, and will NEVER understand how anyone can hate a lurker. They're not doing anything. They're not posting, sure, but so? It's not like a non active member hurts the forums that badly.

DarkFire1004

Tentacle Goddess of the H-Section
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reputation score

First off, I'm impressed at all this. Most people such as yourself really wouldn't have the balls to admit all this, so I wanna say good job on pushing yourself to do this.

Secondly, our hostility towards Lurkers is really just a huge line of forum jokes. The history behind it is that in the first forums in Proboards, we had literally thousands of lurkers. There were only about a couple dozen of active members. So the active members started making jokes about how we were basically overrun with lurkers and that they would kill us off if they kept growing, kinda like how diseases spread. So the jokes went a couple steps up, and eventually Mo and I made Lurker Wars, which is basically the pinnacle of the jokes.

We don't mind Lurkers at all in all honesty. In fact, some lurkers, as you've just proven, are very interesting individuals. Some in the past have randomly posted a tip in a game, others have given a part of their collection, while some just told a good joke. Finally we have lurkers like you who spark thoughtful discussions.

Of course, like everybody else, we all hate stupid lurkers *Cough*linemarvin*Cough*.

lurker

Hentai Master
Reputation score

Hey.... we don't hate me, I'm actually a good guy!

OP
A

Alias

Lurker
Reputation score

@shadow:
Sorry =( I took a look at the main board page and saw "introduce yourself here" without looking further. Also it's been years since I was active on a forum message board that wasn't related to some game or another, so I haven't 'introduced' myself to an online community for quite some time (those forums, you just said "HERE'S MATH!!")

@gator:
I know =( it's a terrifying thought...

@dark:
thanks =D Mainly I think I wanted to do this to see what kind of reactions I would get. Reading some of you guys' posts about lurkers has always made me feel a bit guilty, so I was wondering if that feeling of guilt was deserved or misunderstood. People will do anything for curiosity =D

@lurker:
=D

It's good to know that the whole lurker bit is more of a running joke than anything. Still, I wonder if there are folks out there who actively resent lurkers. Also, I think I may have put things too strongly - I didn't mean to imply that you all HATE lurkers, just that I get a negative vibe about them. In a couple cases, it went so far as people encrypting uploaded files and only telling people who would PM them the password, so as to ensure no 'filthy lurkses' got their hands on it.

That made me sad =( <~~~ sadface

DarkFire1004

Tentacle Goddess of the H-Section
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reputation score

Gee... That sounds like an exciting life.

ToxicShock

(And Reputation Manager)
Staff member
Administrator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

You honestly don't see any reasoning as to why someone wouldn't want to hand out passwords to free versions of not free games?

Kusanagi

Chief Nippleseer
Reputation score

Yeah, it's not that we hate Lurkers, they're just easy to poke fun at :p

Personally, I find it hard to lurk. I always manage to find something on most any forum I go to that I just have to add my thoughts to; not to mention I like to meet new people, even if it is on the internet... the 'scary, scary internet' >.<
(It's not something you can just dump stuff on, it's a series of tubes!)
*ahem*
Anyways.

The reason people on here will password a file and tell people to PM them is because. . . like Toxic said. Besides, if the person is only going to give it out to friends, what chance would you have of getting it if you're not their friend, even if you aren't a Lurker?

Yes, it's a false anonymity, but the only person on here that I know of who can do that is Nunu, and Nunu does it for the lulz, not to do anything harmful.

XSI

Lurker
Reputation score

Well, welcome, and as others in the thread said, we're not at all hostile to lurkers, it's all just a big joke :)

Besides that, any passworded things where the password is given out by PM, even people that don't post can just ask for it and sometimes just get it(unless the poster decided not to share with everyone that asks, it's a personal choice on their side.)

So, yeah, welcome, enjoy your stay, and feel free to explore every board and sub-board you see, there's a lot of art and fun things in the blank page, most of it fairly original.

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score

Yes welcome, like everyone else said we don't actually hate you. It's more we just need to entertain ourselves sometimes. I actually lurked for awhile on the original, because I thought they were actually hostile to lurkers as well. Then I had some of the kool-aid Dark offered me and now I can't stop myself.

OP
A

Alias

Lurker
Reputation score

@dark: pfft.

@toxic: Of course I can see the reason. I was only pointing out how it supported the illusion that lurkers were actively hated ^^

@kusanagi: But without resorting to such methods myself, how do I know Nunu isn't one of my family or friends? Yeah, logically I know it's ridiculously improbable, but improbable is still more of a chance than impossible. That's just the fear. And fear is never logical anyway. Example... I'm terrified of spiders. Wtf did they ever do to me, crawl on me? Nonetheless, I hate the thought even more than the feeling of all those legs on some part of me.
And Nunu, unless you're lying about being British, all of the above is purely hypothetical. I can say with as much certainty as one can about another entity from the internet that you are what you say you are and not one of my friends. Not trying to suggest that I actually think you, with your networking haxor skills, are actually someone I know =)

@ronny: Kool aid? Where!?

Nunu

Despot
Former Admin
Reputation score

you know i'm not one of your family or friends because i'm in australia and you are american (ps: i know where you live). but i see your point, although if they did bump into you here then you know they've been naughty to.

OP
A

Alias

Lurker
Reputation score

True. But also no consolation. It would still make everything very awkward.

ToxicShock

(And Reputation Manager)
Staff member
Administrator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Is it weird that I have dreams of me being in strange places and walking by someone on their computer on a site I know, then happily introducing myself while trying to guess who they are? (I met Nunu and Aika) :p

OP
A

Alias

Lurker
Reputation score

Depends.

Is it weird that I had 5 unique sequential dreams about my teeth falling out last night?

ToxicShock

(And Reputation Manager)
Staff member
Administrator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

THE PROPHECY MUST COME TRUE!

Lurker, get me my hammer!

Nunu

Despot
Former Admin
Reputation score

Is it weird that I have dreams of me being in strange places and walking by someone on their computer on a site I know, then happily introducing myself while trying to guess who they are? (I met Nunu and Aika) :p
what did we look like?