What's new

RPG Active RPG Maker [ahriman] 異界探偵ミソギ (RJ326461)

Deathman Forces

Reputation score
And then the whole mess with the Nord games.
So just asking here, what do you mean by the whole mess with the Nord games? i think they are still okay in terms or H scene and gameplay? so what mess are we talking about here?

greenisbae

Reputation score
So just asking here, what do you mean by the whole mess with the Nord games? i think they are still okay in terms or H scene and gameplay? so what mess are we talking about here?
Long story short, Nord 1 was a very buggy mess on release, was short, was hyped up by Ahri to have lots of innovative gameplay elements (which fairness to him, it did, but like half the game didn't work on release), and as a result, lots of people were really pissed about its quality (especially since he was pricing it somewhat high for what it was). Ahri apologized, put a LOT of time into fixing things, adding new art and scenarios, and adding even more gameplay stuff and hyping it up on his dev blog, which resulted in Nord 2. AGAIN, the release was extremely buggy/unplayable, and from what I read on earlier threads, DLSite actually got so many complaints and negative feedback on Nord 2, that Ahriman had to pull the game from the site temporarily, issue refunds, and apologize profusely on basically every platform he pushed the game. Fast forward (2-5 months? I'm not too sure on this one), and he is finally able to re-release the Nord games in their playable state (which I assume is what most people on this or any thread have played), but as a result, this whole scenario has left a sour taste for a lot of his followers.

I think its totally fine to push the envelope and innovate on gameplay (and to a large degree, he's quite successful on that front; most of us really like his kind of game because its unique and to their tastes), but when that comes at the cost of unstable systems, horrendous releases and super lengthy delays, it turns people off. If he gets Eldritch Detective Misogi right, it'll be the next Asagi. But, having followed his dev blog and his constant talk of major problems with his rehauling of the gameplay system that hes running into which is causing the delays, I get Nord flashbacks (esp since I think there's nothing wrong/bad about the current demo gameplay). And its extra bad because I think a lot of his fans (myself included) think his simpler executions of gameplay have been good enough (like Asagi, or the current running version of the Misogi demo), and that all that's needed to tie it together and satisfy is lots of great art/CGs and a decent-ish story. I'm worried he's trying too hard to make his gameplay system novel, and that its going to blow up in his face as it has before.

johntrine

Mystic Girl
Reputation score
Shizuma Kenpu Legend Aoi was decent
that game is a scam to this day since you get the same file even if you download by buying the game or pressing the download demo option. he never finished the game.
Nord 2. AGAIN, the release was extremely buggy/unplayable
yeah.. i memeber... though you put it way gently. the game on release was broken and didnt run. when people complained ahriman said people should've tested the demo first. then he went silent and people complained to dlsite who tried to get in touch with him and couldnt so they deleted the webpage to the game and gave everyone a refund.

innovation is good and all but you dont just innovate blindly. since he got famous with the asagi game, he should've innovated in the direction of that game which he did for a while. you can find art on pixiv on that end along with many other half dead projects on his pixiv and (now dead by the grace of dlsite to make ci-en) blog. people are mad with him not because of him 'innovating" but with him killing off many actual good ideas to in the end innovate towards a mediocre half assed game. take shizuma kenpu aoi. if he ever finished that game, it would've been a 9/10. instead he scammed all his customers to buy a 'tech demo' which he never used to make a game ever again.

Last edited:

greenisbae

Reputation score
Agreed. It sucks cuz I feel like his games hit a really good niche, there's really nothing out there quite like his stuff, and I reeally hope Misogi turns out super good, but I'm seeing signs point to the contrary. I guess come around December we'll find out (or maybe not? considering he may not even hit that target :/). He really just needs to get out of his own way by keeping it simple and realizing people like his current gameplay loop, characters, scenarios and art. Not too hard to plz coomers like us when we already liked his initial offer on the table.

johntrine

Mystic Girl
Reputation score
Agreed. It sucks cuz I feel like his games hit a really good niche, there's really nothing out there quite like his stuff, and I reeally hope Misogi turns out super good, but I'm seeing signs point to the contrary. I guess come around December we'll find out (or maybe not? considering he may not even hit that target :/). He really just needs to get out of his own way by keeping it simple and realizing people like his current gameplay loop, characters, scenarios and art. Not too hard to plz coomers like us when we already liked his initial offer on the table.
it's literally built after a gacha fest shitty mobile game (i think fate series? never played it) AND the dev even made a gacha room IN GAME. this one doesnt feel innovative like to me and honestly, doesnt feel that great to play either since it's too easy. man the aoi gaame has SUCH potential... and all of it was thrown in the trash for the broken norn series and the now shitty gacha game copy cause gamers love being milked.
cant wait for a game where you got roll a jackpot everyday to have the privilege of starting the game!
what is sad though is that all of his games while innovating had one common thing in all of them and that was the capture mechanic baked in to them (except for the angel one) and i think the only time he bothered to innovate it somewhat was in asagi and aoi games where you could be cuffed or blinded that gave a massive debuf bet since norn and the newer one, it feels like we have taked 10 steps back. while i hope and would love to be proven wrong with their new game, i am not looking that forward to this next release.

ChupacabraGonzales

Reputation score
Long story short, Nord 1 was a very buggy mess on release, was short, was hyped up by Ahri to have lots of innovative gameplay elements (which fairness to him, it did, but like half the game didn't work on release), and as a result, lots of people were really pissed about its quality (especially since he was pricing it somewhat high for what it was). Ahri apologized, put a LOT of time into fixing things, adding new art and scenarios, and adding even more gameplay stuff and hyping it up on his dev blog, which resulted in Nord 2. AGAIN, the release was extremely buggy/unplayable, and from what I read on earlier threads, DLSite actually got so many complaints and negative feedback on Nord 2, that Ahriman had to pull the game from the site temporarily, issue refunds, and apologize profusely on basically every platform he pushed the game. Fast forward (2-5 months? I'm not too sure on this one), and he is finally able to re-release the Nord games in their playable state (which I assume is what most people on this or any thread have played), but as a result, this whole scenario has left a sour taste for a lot of his followers.

I think its totally fine to push the envelope and innovate on gameplay (and to a large degree, he's quite successful on that front; most of us really like his kind of game because its unique and to their tastes), but when that comes at the cost of unstable systems, horrendous releases and super lengthy delays, it turns people off. If he gets Eldritch Detective Misogi right, it'll be the next Asagi. But, having followed his dev blog and his constant talk of major problems with his rehauling of the gameplay system that hes running into which is causing the delays, I get Nord flashbacks (esp since I think there's nothing wrong/bad about the current demo gameplay). And its extra bad because I think a lot of his fans (myself included) think his simpler executions of gameplay have been good enough (like Asagi, or the current running version of the Misogi demo), and that all that's needed to tie it together and satisfy is lots of great art/CGs and a decent-ish story. I'm worried he's trying too hard to make his gameplay system novel, and that its going to blow up in his face as it has before.
Let us not forget the part where North 2 was advertised with a release date and then followed by a 8-10 month period where Ahriman just said "it's coming soon, it's coming soon", went radio-silent for very long periods of time and the only updates he ever provided were just more unfortunate delay notices. The game was set to release somewhere in the beginning of the year and ended up releasing in October.

I think a lot of people were also expecting it to be a bugfix update for the first game and were caught by surprise by its release as a separate product which they had to buy again.

johntrine

Mystic Girl
Reputation score
Let us not forget the part where North 2 was advertised with a release date and then followed by a 8-10 month period where Ahriman just said "it's coming soon, it's coming soon", went radio-silent for very long periods of time and the only updates he ever provided were just more unfortunate delay notices. The game was set to release somewhere in the beginning of the year and ended up releasing in October.

I think a lot of people were also expecting it to be a bugfix update for the first game and were caught by surprise by its release as a separate product which they had to buy again.
oh yeah... i completly forgot about that!

potatogod

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
This is a bit off topic but does anyone know if its possible to hook the demo? Even though its RPGmakerMV, since its playing from the browser it doesn't seem like the usual hooking and machine translation methods will work. Furthermore, if you can't hook it then will the final product also be playable only in the browser or will it be possible to play it like every other MV game?

MetaSilver

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
if you can't hook it then will the final product also be playable only in the browser or will it be possible to play it like every other MV game?
I was looking through his development blog recently and someone asked him the same question, and Ahriman's answer was rather noncommittal. Something like "maybe" or "I'm not sure yet". As for if it's possible to hook it, I'm afraid I don't know.

I once described Ahriman to a friend as a developer that made one good game and then never made another good game again. I want to believe he still has another good game in him, but I'm already a little wary of some of the design decisions he's made, like this switch to an entirely mouse-based system seemingly devoid of traditional map exploration, and having it be a browser-based game.

potatogod

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
I was looking through his development blog recently and someone asked him the same question, and Ahriman's answer was rather noncommittal. Something like "maybe" or "I'm not sure yet". As for if it's possible to hook it, I'm afraid I don't know.

I once described Ahriman to a friend as a developer that made one good game and then never made another good game again. I want to believe he still has another good game in him, but I'm already a little wary of some of the design decisions he's made, like this switch to an entirely mouse-based system seemingly devoid of traditional map exploration, and having it be a browser-based game.
That's a shame. I hope he considers making the game playable in the normal MV format.
But yeah, Ahriman strikes me as someone who could easily be more successful if he just played to his strengths but he just keeps making odd design decisions. His decision to move from Asagi's game design was pretty baffling, especially after it did so well and even inspired a bunch of other games. There was also that time when he decided to have a different artist do the art for Nord because he felt his own art was lacking which was pretty odd since I felt his art style did the scenes he portrayed more justice. Another thing I didn't like about Nord compared to Asagi that I didn't see anyone talk about was pacing. In Nord, h-scenes just come way too fast and easily which makes the game feels way shorter as you breeze through all the content meanwhile Asagi had a pretty good formula.
The most frustrating part though is that I really can't come to hate his games because there's clearly a lot of effort and consideration that goes into them, its just that its likely misplaced. I knew about this new game since he first mentioned it but I decided to try out the demo today and I was pleasantly surprised. Besides the game playing a bit weird, the sheer amount of character art for this game really shows how much he loves what he's doing. All sorts of poses for attacking, getting hit, grabs, ultimate moves, etc. plus they're all very cool and original. He has enough pictures in this demo than several fully released h-games and they're all amazing. Then after that you realize there's no fast forward button so you have to see the same pictures over and over again plus its sometimes a pain in the ass to get scenes because there's no surrender or guard option so you sometimes ending killing the enemies to fast before they manage to do anything to you (this is still just the demo though so it isn't fair to judge that as it might change).
Overall, I just really hope that he manages to deliver a cohesive experience this time.

MetaSilver

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
I can appreciate a desire to experiment, but I wish his experiments didn't go belly up so often, and the situations with Nord 2 and Legend Aoi are pretty questionable. Even if I have some misgivings about this new game, I'm at least reasonably certain it isn't going to be like either of those games.

Regarding Ahriman's artstyle, yeah, I think it's fine, and the scenes he portrayed were more than appealing enough to justify his style by themselves. The artist he got for Nord was good, certainly more technically proficient than Ahriman, but I think Ahriman has more to gain from just doing the art himself. Not just in terms of quantity, but of vision, as well. I don't think art done by any other artist will fit his vision quite as exactly as his own work. All those flashy moves the girls can do are pretty cool, but like you said, no skip button, and losing actually seems more difficult than winning. Making sure you choose actions that are not only wrong, but efficiently wrong to ensure that you don't wipe everyone out and escape grabs is almost kind of a little puzzle sometimes. I think Ahriman said he intends to adjust the combat balance, though.

Last edited:

mark21800

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score
This time he's asking which system did people like best. The options are:
  • Nord
  • Asagi? (Google translated it to Tanamin Asagi)
  • Angel Hunt (His first game I think. )
  • Shinobiden (The one with the Ninja girl that you control with your mouse)

greenisbae

Reputation score
Welp, he missed his own update timeline for December/this year. In his own words, the state of the demo has 'shit UI, broken event flows, and is in an un-releasable state.'

I'm not even surprised, not sure what I expected. Seems 6 months of working on a system that seemed TOTALLY fine and playable in May has amounted to a shitshow. Sigh, had such high hopes for this one :/

allexwhy

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
Am i the only one waiting for him to release the new game? Literally best combat-combat rape games on the market from him.

greenisbae

Reputation score
At this point it may be optimistic to even get this goblin demo he's been teasing by end of March (maybe it'll even get to May, marking 1 whole year since any content update)