What's new

RPG RPG Maker [Ahriman] 紋章騎士ノルド ~ケガレの紋章編~ (RJ233587)

Renestrae

Devious Succubus
Reputation score
If he came out with a finished game and said sorry then, okay. But why the hell is he pushing for sales now? Why not take your time, finish it, and then release; you would get so much more goodwill of your customers back that way. Or is he that short on cash? The Moral Sword of Asagi was so good in part because it had a lot of content, it kinda just kept going and going and going, and then a totally new environment, and it keeps going there too... Which was then also all tied into the story of the "villain who keeps slipping away" and "the actual bigger evil reveal" tropes. If all of the planned "episodes" where one game from the start this could have achieved the same

If he would just take his time and properly build a finished game with content and polish, I'm pretty sure we would all forget about this in a year or so, and he'd make a ton of money

BigJohnny

Tentacle God
Reputation score
Selling alpha versions is all the rage now, big publishers and devs do it so why not small indie devs.

Lazka

Grim Reaper
Reputation score
oh man this is really funny... idk why ppl mad about he selling alpha ver
but never angry with the never ending update on patreon xD

nnescio

Evard's Tentacles of Forced Intrusion
Reputation score
2nd paragraph indicates that it seems that he didn't manage to finish everything in time so he will be selling the game in as an alpha version. With more stuff to be updated in december.
What he has done so far:
Game progress bug fixes
・ Parameter adjustment for battle
・ Correction regarding enemy behavior
・ Specification changes difficult to understand regarding battle
・ Implementation of battle erotic scenes (6 types of rebels, 3 types of goblins)
1. Fixed game(-breaking) progression bugs.
2. Adjusted parameters involved in combat.
3. Fixed issues with enemy AI
4. Fixed some complicated (event-)handling for in-battle H stuff.
5. Implemented some in-combat H-scenes (Rebels 6x, Goblins 3x).

What is planned:
・ Addition of bandit quest (quest is already implemented, but erotic scene is incomplete, so hold)
・ Addition of battle erotic scenes (3 types of goblins, 6 types of bandits)
Tentative plans:
- Adding the Bandit quest (event). (Quest has already been implemented, but the H-scene isn't done yet, so it's deferred for now.)
- Additional H-scenes (Goblins 3x, Bandits 6x)

He wants to get sales in november hence why he is releasing it in alpha state. But he promises updates right after in december.

This is what I got with my own understanding of Jp and google translate mixed in cause fk kanji.
Incidentally, fk (the blatant misuse of) keigo. It made the blogpost 20x times harder to read than it should be. It's like someone trying to emulate business lingo but twisting the language and grammar into fourth-dimensional pretzels in the process. Like reading some corporate shill rambling on about "going forward", "incentivizing proactive synergistic visions", "run X up the flagpole", "accountability matrix", "paradigm shift" and "going forward' (yes I hate that one enough to mention it twice).

SoulBreaka

Cthulhu
Reputation score
Even my jp classes back in the day couldn't prepare me for sonkeigo. That shit was a whole new ballgame. Even native Jp ppl themselves have to relearn it once they get into the workforce.

Seems like he is actually replying in the comments now. Apologising n whatnot.

potatogod

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
Selling alpha versions is all the rage now, big publishers and devs do it so why not small indie devs.
No one really supports selling alpha versions though. It can be done right but most big publishers these days are finding ways we didn't even know possible to fuck this stuff up. Small indie devs doing it is a different argument.
For Ahriman though, I'd say this is another bad move. He's proven himself repeatedly that he's untrustworthy and now he's going to sell an alpha version and his buyers have to trust he'll update it. I wouldn't call his actions nonredeemable but this isn't a good idea if he wants to regain trust from his fanbase. Ideally he should release a full game and sell it, possibly fix reported bugs after release. That's it. Maybe even throw in a free update or two if he's really aiming to reconcile.
Using a model that requires buyers to have faith in him after he's been repeatedly shown to abuse that faith is a bit counterproductive.
I'm staying away from his games until he gets back on track and I hope he manages to carry out the alpha and updates successfully but I'm sad to say my trust for Ahriman is pretty low right now and I don't care how much he apologizes in the chats or on dlsite, I'd rather he apologize by proving he can still put out a good game.
Just my opinion though.

nnescio

Reputation score
Even my jp classes back in the day couldn't prepare me for sonkeigo. That shit was a whole new ballgame. Even native Jp ppl themselves have to relearn it once they get into the workforce.
Most of the beef I had was with the kenjougo (humble language). I cringe each time I read a 'misused' "sasete itadakimasu" ("allow us the privilege of doing...") instead of the expected "itadashimasu" ("humbly do..."). When somebody apologizes and promises to fix something (with standard, acceptable procedures that don't require consent), it's jarring to read "sasete itadakimasu" because it's already something you expect them to do. It's like saying "we have taken the liberty of doing X..." despite X being part of your job and expected duties. Makes the apology sounds less sincere.

Then there's the "to natte orimasu" (”it has become the case such that..." Technically this one is sonkeigo, sort of, but it uses kenjougo grammar), where "ni natte orimasu" would have been appropriate (or even better, a simple "gozaimasu"). The "to" version carries a certain nuance of being (like when announcing an unscheduled server maintenance). Basically made me go "what" (or "nani") and reread the patch/progress notes.

(Also, a misused "to natte orimasu" can potentially... "trigger" people, because it's particularly infamous for being used in “passing-the-buck" "not-our-problem" type of 'apologies'. , so they say.)

Granted, a lot of people also use the above forms this way, and I don't want to sound like a language prescriptivist, but non-standard use still make it harder to understand whatever that is intended to be said.

(And not being a native speaker I'd more than likely mess up keigo even worse if I try to speak or write it in an off-the-cuff moment. So, in a way, I'm not exactly one to talk.)

Seems like he is actually replying in the comments now. Apologising n whatnot.
This one is actually very well-written, informative and sincere.

Last edited:

Trevelontous

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
Every time I bump into sonkeigo and keigo I feel like pulling my hair out, it's easier to just skip over those parts and read the main portion of the text that has any context, but it feels weird just skipping reading things just because I'm lazy. I need to not do that and finish my studies so it doesn't bother me any more. It was fairly easy to make out what he was saying with the number of added scenes, when it's coming, what got fixed etc. But yeah just a bunch f verbal diarrhea with the apologies, and we seem to run into it too often on these types of indie games, it's harder to keep to schedule when you are the schedule, which means more apologies.

Trevelontous

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
There was an update on his b.dlsite blog stating he's submitted it to dlsite, so the alpha version should be on their website however long it takes them to review it and put it up, along with a trial version.

There was also another post that's an extended apology that attempts to address a lot of the concerns/hate/questions, it's an interesting read and not too full of the former buillshitty formal speak (but holy shit is there a lot of と思います。). He does mention/apologize for the unfinished aoi game, and says that he has every intention of finishing it, that it ended up being a much bigger project that anticipated, and more apologies.

mark21800

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score
A trial version has been released on Ci-en.
Full release scheduled for December.

krisslanza

Lurker
Reputation score
What is the actual like, plot to Emblem Order anyway? From messing around on that demo, besides there being a surprisingly long training sequence, I noticed the camp actually changes. It seems the women were kind of dominant in the camp, but if the protag loses, it seems the men end up being in charge or... something. Or I might be misinterperting the visuals, since I kind of just messed around and haven't tried text hooking anything yet.

OP
N

nozdozzle

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
Be aware folks, the finished game is likely to be barely more than an alpha given his recent track record. Do not give this guy money with the expectation that he'll deliver later. Not trustworthy.

kyriacos

Lurker
Reputation score
Honestly after playing the trial I can't help but feel like this is too ambitious of a game. Yeah, the gameplay mechanics are extremely unique and engaging, but if Ahriman actually manages to finish this game with the precedent that he set for himself in the trial then I will be extremely surprised. Even if the creator was someone other than Ahriman I would still be extremely surprised.

Lazka

Grim Reaper
Reputation score
Honestly after playing the trial I can't help but feel like this is too ambitious of a game. Yeah, the gameplay mechanics are extremely unique and engaging, but if Ahriman actually manages to finish this game with the precedent that he set for himself in the trial then I will be extremely surprised. Even if the creator was someone other than Ahriman I would still be extremely surprised.
actually, no
this one is same kind like the eps 1, just diff the mission/stage select
overall just reused content and changed artist... so kinda bit a meh to me (the eps 1 is short, and not much do beside in battle)
i really2 prefer his asagi game than this one, but sadly nope i think he just kinda make easier + grab money fast

nnescio

Reputation score
actually, no
this one is same kind like the eps 1, just diff the mission/stage select
Plus there are more "ambitious" stuff floating around on Cien, with free trials with far more content than Nord 1 + 2 combined.

Nord isn't ambitious. It's an uninspired attempt at phoning it in, and he still botched it.

overall just reused content and changed artist... so kinda bit a meh to me (the eps 1 is short, and not much do beside in battle)
i really2 prefer his asagi game than this one, but sadly nope i think he just kinda make easier + grab money fast
Same artist (Infraton). It's just that the artist has stopped emulating Ahriman's artstyle this time, unlike in Nord #1.

Last edited:

nnescio

Reputation score
What is the actual like, plot to Emblem Order anyway? From messing around on that demo, besides there being a surprisingly long training sequence, I noticed the camp actually changes. It seems the women were kind of dominant in the camp, but if the protag loses, it seems the men end up being in charge or... something. Or I might be misinterperting the visuals, since I kind of just messed around and haven't tried text hooking anything yet.
Alright, first, to provide a background...
A recurring theme in Ahriman's works is that there is a force of evil that corrupts people into debauchery. (It's like Slaanesh, kinda.) The protagonists are members of some organization that fight against this evil corrupting force, but they are also prone to getting corrupted themselves, depending on events in-game (read: get raped a lot.)

In the Nord series, the protagonist is a leading member of the Emblem Knights, who fight against the evil force of corruption known as Kegare, or "Taint". The Emblem Knights appear to have jurisdiction over multiple fiefdoms, and are frequently called in to deal with problems like pervasive crime, monster incursions and chaotic uprisings. Individual knights are blessed with "emblems" (or crests) — runes inscribed on their body that are the source of their martial and magical prowess.

Nord #1 opens with Nord(hart di Fauberat, Lady of the Black Flame) being cursed by a Tainted sorcerer. The curse warps her Emblem (into something resembling an in-universe cumslut slave tattoo), robbing her of most of her strength and inflicting her with frequent bouts of arousal. This gets her relegated to backline "house-keeping" (as in defending a town and catching small-time crooks) duty while she recovers her powers (her sister Est helps a bit with this process by synchronizing their crests, which from a meta perspective provides excuse for a yuri scene).

Nord #1 ends with Nord rounding up kidnappers and other assorted criminal elements that plagued a town, plus fending off an orcish invasion of a nearby village. Meanwhile her sister gets to do all the fun stuff offscreen like taking out some bigshot enemy that I can't quite remember now, but it's probably Tainted related.

Nord #2 starts with Nord being fêted as the guest of honor in the fiefdom of Pales, as she gets called in to deal with a rebellion (that is Tainted-related, somehow). Along the way she gets distracted by a goblin incursion that the player can choose to pursue.

The opening banquet scene in the alpha trial demo is... excessively long, but basically it involves Nord losing her temper at some of the other attendees making snide (and sexual-harassing) comments behind her back., causing her to leap on the table to show off her magical crest to awe them into submission. Which is an idiotic move on her part because of the aforementioned "warped-into-cumslut-slave-tattoo" curse.

Apparently the Crest Knights were trying to keep the curse under wraps. (Because having one of your captains being branded with a sex slave tattoo is basically a political death sentence.) Nord's adjutant/executive officer was particularly quick-witted about this affair and managed to storm in and brainwash (MIB-style) every single one of the banquet attendees to forget about the whole affair, keeping Nord's dirty secret a, well, secret.

Also Nord is now the Marquise of the Northern Reaches, courtsey of Est recommending her (in a flashback reveal) for the title as part of some kind of political manueuver that holy-shit-I-stopped-caring-about-because-holy-hell-the-cutscene-is-GOD-DAMN-FRICKIN'-LONG. Then some bureaucrat politico stepped in (interrupting the sisters' 'bonding' time) raising some issue about the war effort and something about nobles complaining of whatever-I-stopped-caring-ages-ago-and-am-totally-out-of-shits-to-give. Then it transitioned into a femdom scene with Est calling out the politico as a lolicon (Est has a svelte body figure despite being the elder sister) because she's also out of shits to give about the boring politics. Or something. I was fast-forwarding by this point. Anyway, Nord discreetly left the room by this point in the flashback. Phew.

So... anyway, the Crest Knights are usually in charge during a military operation, which is why they appear to be a dominant position when you first move into a forward operating base. As Nord's Submission Level increases, the enemies and (depraved) citizens get bolder and eventually turn the tables on the Knights even in their encampment. This change is reflected in the NPC sprites on the encampment map.

--

As for a brief review of the current trial (labeled Emblem Order trial v1.1):

1) It's mostly a rehash of the same mechanics from the first game. You begin at your headquarters. You talk to your adjutant and pick a mission/map, which brings you to a forward base. From there you can pick sub-missions/quests that usually involve taking out a specific target. (Or targets.) All of these involve a long chain of unskippable fights fought back-to-back. There is no dungeon or field map; you automatically progress from one fight to the next with your current HP/MP/TP and status (de)buffs.

2) Combat has you faced against multiple enemies (usually a minimum of four enemy groups per phase). You get two actions per turn. Buffing/Healing/Support skills don't take up an action. Some specials consume MP, while some others consume TP.

3) By default, enemies perform a basic attack for low damage (the number of attacks scales with the size of the group, and some of the can call for reinforcements). They may telegraph a Power (growling wolf face), Binding (evil smirk) or H (pink heart) move, which they will perform next turn. These can be interrupted by hitting them with the correct special, which will stun them and deal extra damage (which move a special is effective against is labeled pictorially in the special description itself).

4) Getting hit with a H-attack will increase Nord's submission meter. You will progress into a H-scene at certain break points (Submission Level 1, by default when you start with Level 0). The H-scene also progresses at various break points (by default this corresponds with each increase in Submission Level).

5) H-attacks will usually also grapple Nord. You have three general types of responses to a grapple: Endure (left option, usually skips the turn but heals), Resist (top option, usually counterattack for a TP cost ) and Escape (right option, usually attempts to escape the grapple but may fail). Occasionally you may be given an access to a list of menu options that let you recover more HP/MP/TP or a guaranteed chance to break out of grapples/restraints at the cost of TP.

The current published trial version has 6 scenes (exactly as advertised), three involving rebel soldiers and three involving goblins. There is also a small variety of short generic H-attack scenes (on top of the aforementioned six).

Overall the game is much better steamlined compared to the first game. Animations are more fluid both in and out of combat, and it's easier to recover MP/TP now. Breaking out of grapples is also less annoying. Scenes are extremely well-animated. Heck, I'll give credit where it is due and commend Ahriman for being the best ever RPGMaker scene choreographer (involving map sprites). It's really top-notch work, even if it can get excessively long at times.

Map selection also feels more natural now (you move around on a campaign map as you pick your targets instead of just picking from a menu from your forward base), and map travel is even animated, at least on the first visit. It does make saving between combat slightly more annoying though.

The free trial is a well-polished demo, and is worth your time playing it, even for non-fans of the first game. I reserve my judgment for the actual game itself if it ever gets released in full.

(Though I admit I'm not expecting much.)

Last edited:

kyriacos

Lurker
Reputation score
Plus there are more "ambitious" stuff floating around on Cien, with free trials with far more content than Nord 1 + 2 combined.

Nord isn't ambitious. It's an uninspired attempt at phoning it in, and he still botched it.

Same artist (Infraton). It's just that the artist has stopped emulating Ahriman's artstyle this time, unlike in Nord #1.
Are there actually any better games than Ahriman’s? I have been searching for years for games that give me the same feeling as moral sword of asagi and I can’t seem to find any other than games from marimo ankokukan.