What's new

Anime: Highschool of the Dead

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score
Re: Anime: Highschool of the Dead

Does there happen to be any dubbed versions floating about?

Nunu

Despot
Former Admin
Reputation score

dubs normally take at least 6 months to a year if not longer. This has been out for what, 6 weeks?

although i've got premier pro i could just redub it for you, although then it would consist of nothing but quotes from the movie flash Gordon.

Kusanagi

Chief Nippleseer
Reputation score

although i've got premier pro i could just redub it for you, although then it would consist of nothing but quotes from the movie flash Gordon.
That sounds like it would be awesome :D

OP
UrbanKirasagi
Reputation score

Does there happen to be any dubbed versions floating about?
Actually, the series was licensed to be dubbed BEFORE it even aired in Japan. The manga is set to release in English from Yen Press January 4th, and Sentai Filmworks will be distributing the English version in America (Madman Entertainment will be distributing it in Australia and New Zealand).

There are some fandub groups based around it, but none have more than a clip here or there done - it's a heavy dialogue series after all.

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Indeed there is a lot of dialogue. I wasn't sure what to think after episodes 1 and 2, but I'm starting to get into it now. The first episode really put me off for a second, so I'm happy I have patience enough to go to the second one.

OP
UrbanKirasagi
Reputation score

Was the first ep too heavy on the drama for you? Or too heavy on the panty-service?

Those two things were the top complaints about it, even though the series is already being lauded as the breakaway 'A Winner Is You' anime of the entire summer.

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

The panty-service is fine. It's the melodrama that annoyed me. That and when Takashi slaps Rei for no reason. I mean come on, how was that called for in that situation? He was the one that seemed freaking out and weird, not her. But of course she falls for him eventually, after much melodrama, that proceeds to switch on an off.

The violence and action sequences are great, and I really like some of the characters. Some have gone from me not liking to liking over the six episodes, and some I just sit back and shake my head at as they're there for nothing more than gratuitous sexual tension. Sure in some parts the sexuality works, in other parts it just seems really out of place and thrown in.

OP
UrbanKirasagi
Reputation score

The violence and action sequences are great, and I really like some of the characters. Some have gone from me not liking to liking over the six episodes, and some I just sit back and shake my head at as they're there for nothing more than gratuitous sexual tension. Sure in some parts the sexuality works, in other parts it just seems really out of place and thrown in.

It's like that because the author demanded it be that way - the guy did hentai, after all. =P

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

It's like that because the author demanded it be that way - the guy did hentai, after all. =P
Makes sense for the audience yes. I'm simply saying that in some scenes it detracts from the story. For me. Yeah I enjoy my gratuitous sexuality once in awhile, I'd be a lying if I said I didn't. However, I don't want it all the time to the point where I can't take characters seriously because they're entire point is T/A. Those characters annoy me, especially when it's very possible to have a character I really like and have sequences that are just showcasing their sexuality. Like Saeko. She's got to be my favorite character and in the end of the Episode 6 they had her in pretty much nothing, but she still has some depth and mystery about her as a character. Vs. the Doctor.

Of course, this is just my opinion of the show, and I'm not really in the targeted demographic.

OP
UrbanKirasagi
Reputation score

Makes sense for the audience yes. I'm simply saying that in some scenes it detracts from the story. For me. Yeah I enjoy my gratuitous sexuality once in awhile, I'd be a lying if I said I didn't. However, I don't want it all the time to the point where I can't take characters seriously because they're entire point is T/A. Those characters annoy me, especially when it's very possible to have a character I really like and have sequences that are just showcasing their sexuality. Like Saeko. She's got to be my favorite character and in the end of the Episode 6 they had her in pretty much nothing, but she still has some depth and mystery about her as a character. Vs. the Doctor.

Of course, this is just my opinion of the show, and I'm not really in the targeted demographic.
The Nurse gets her character worth a bit later on - she is very skilled in medical needs, physical and mental, the latter of which shows itself most clearly in her interactions with Alice (these will begin in episode 7), and also in chapter 26 with Kouta. And as for Saeko XP that apron shot of her is one of the most oft-drawn images of this series; there are at least twenty renditions of it.

Nunu

Despot
Former Admin
Reputation score

one of the most impressive things about this anime is that breasts hang more realistically than normal in anime.

GargantuaBlarg

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

I read a couple chapters someplace once, up to them evacuating the school I think. The fat guy's pretty awesome.

OP
UrbanKirasagi
Reputation score

I read a couple chapters someplace once, up to them evacuating the school I think. The fat guy's pretty awesome.
Making a rifle out of wood, tape, and a nail gun? I'm going to file that under 'Crazy Awesome'.

According to chapter six, he was
trained by a member of Black Water for a month in America in the use of guns.

SirOni

Demon Girls #1 Fan
Reputation score

Oh God, Kouta is by far the best chaarcter in the series in my opinion. And to make him even more awesome he's based off one of the better manga artists; Hellsings artist Kouta Hirano.

One question though; has the orgy bus chapter been made into an episode yet?

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Oh God, Kouta is by far the best chaarcter in the series in my opinion. And to make him even more awesome he's based off one of the better manga artists; Hellsings artist Kouta Hirano.

No? What chapter was that?

Unless of course you're talking about the bus full of people getting eaten as it speeds down the highway. They're only at episode 6.

SirOni

Demon Girls #1 Fan
Reputation score

Not sure, and I wont give away too much but the bus is run by a crazy ass bastard. Which makes him awesome.

OP
UrbanKirasagi
Reputation score

They're going at one chapter per episode, so right now we're at Episode 6/Chapter 6. However, they've been doing a LOT of buildup with Shido-sensei, so I have no doubt that we'll see that scene as the *cough* climax of his character development.

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

They're going at one chapter per episode, so right now we're at Episode 6/Chapter 6. However, they've been doing a LOT of buildup with Shido-sensei, so I have no doubt that we'll see that scene as the *cough* climax of his character development.
I actually fucking hate that guy so damn much.