H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score
Re: Games Discussion Thread

It would be indeed.

Lurker
Reputation score

I guess this is one of those personal preference, agree to disagree type things.
I can't agree to that.
I haven't seen the new design yet, but I can't pass up an opportunity to be a smartass.

Kusanagi

Chief Nippleseer
Reputation score

Your argument is valid, but I refuse to accept it on the grounds that I don't want to accept it.
^fix'd.

I blame Darkfire for the idea.

DarkFire1004

Tentacle Goddess of the H-Section
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reputation score

This sounds familiar...

DarkFire1004

Tentacle Goddess of the H-Section
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reputation score

Th-that sounds familiar too...

Copper

Lurker
Reputation score

Lynch Ba--

Wait, nevermind. And as for the new art in DA, I think it's going to take a bit of getting used to, but then again, a lot of the screens that we've seen are early development stuff, so it may change yet again. Admittedly, they're *creepier* looking, at least.

Also, hmm, this just occured to me. The reason why the darkspawn look different could be regional. Maybe. I mean, the ones we fought in DA were all sort of from Ferelden, stretching up to Orzammar down toward the Wilds. Now we're in a different regional area (for the most part) and since we learned where darkspawn come from, it stands to reason that there would be cosmetic differences. But, I realize there's a lot of flaws in this theory, but, like I said, the thought just crossed my mind, so thought I'd toss it out there

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Like you said Copper, early production. I don't think the models even look complete yet. They seem so flat and texture less. I'm guessing that more is yet to be done on the darkspawn look.

OP
Rule 34

Rule 34

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Continuing my train of thought from the hate thread...

Are there seriously so many people out there that don't know how to play Starcraft 2 if they can't rush? The one time I managed to bunker in in time I had no big problems afterwards. Sure, he tried to stop me from expanding, sometimes successfully, but it was like he was at a loss otherwise.

I guess playing-wise I'm more of a turtle (dig in deep and send out your troops now and then), and as such my base is vulnerable early in the game. The more time I have, the more defense I can pull up. If I don't have time to get up my defenses, I'm pretty much screwed.

Also, while we're on SC2 - WHY are there units missing from multiplayer? Where the fuck are the medics? Where are the GOLIATHS? Or the firebats, for that matter? I could take it if they left out units you unlock via the campaign research tree - but they still give you the raven (which is inferior to the science vessel as a backup unit IMO). Did they think that these units would imbalance the game?

Kusanagi

Chief Nippleseer
Reputation score

At the very least, I was under the impression that SC II did away with the 'Firebat' unit completely.

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Most of those units you get in the campaign were pulled out a long while back, and only kept in the campaign for fun. They had redesigned the three races completely.

Besides, the medic has been replaced with the Medevac, as was the dropship. There's the Hellion to combine the vulture and firebat. The maurader. The Thor is a bigger punch Goliath...

Last edited:

Incubus

Horn Dog
Reputation score

The Thor is a bigger punch Goliath...
This is my only problem with the post. Simply because in SC1, the Goliath was my surface to air defence for my attack force, and the thor does not fill this roll; sure, it has SOME air defences, but the goliath was better at anti air than anti ground.

But otherwise, yes, they were removed from multiplayer play, and were announced as much a while back. They're still in the campaign because it makes sense; while the technology is considered 'outdated' in many cases, it still exists, and you're scrambling for every bit you can get.

I haven't actually tried paying online, mainly because I've never liked RTS online; as I often complain, it becomes a game about micromanagement, not strategy. I'm still tempted to try it out, but since I'm stuck in south east asia...

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

This is my only problem with the post. Simply because in SC1, the Goliath was my surface to air defence for my attack force, and the thor does not fill this roll; sure, it has SOME air defences, but the goliath was better at anti air than anti ground.
I still stand by it. The Thor's anti-air does about as much damage (a little less, but almost as much) as the Goliath's did. However, because the Thor is so expensive you can't get as many and you don't notice the output as much.

What really bugged me was having the Terran's aircraft so... specialized. The banshee gets the cloak the wraith had, but can only attack ground. The viking can only attack air unless it transforms, in which case it can only attack ground. Micromanagment in large battles. The only all around air unit they have in the battle cruiser. Indeed, Starcraft II seems to have much less anti-air capabilities than the first. Which is why online you'll be defeated by hordes of void rays (fucking things...)

Incubus

Horn Dog
Reputation score

I still stand by it. The Thor's anti-air does about as much damage (a little less, but almost as much) as the Goliath's did. However, because the Thor is so expensive you can't get as many and you don't notice the output as much.

What really bugged me was having the Terran's aircraft so... specialized. The banshee gets the cloak the wraith had, but can only attack ground. The viking can only attack air unless it transforms, in which case it can only attack ground. Micromanagment in large battles. The only all around air unit they have in the battle cruiser. Indeed, Starcraft II seems to have much less anti-air capabilities than the first. Which is why online you'll be defeated by hordes of void rays (fucking things...)
As a protoss player online, if you let them build hordes of void rays you deserve it. They ain't cheap, and they go down far too quickly to focus firing.

I do wish the game was less about micro though, but blizzard games always are, sadly.

Nunu

Despot
Former Admin
Reputation score

As a protoss player online, if you let them build hordes of void rays you deserve it. They ain't cheap, and they go down far too quickly to focus firing.

I do wish the game was less about micro though, but blizzard games always are, sadly.
how is sup com going, try microing in that and you'll probably just loose.

Incubus

Horn Dog
Reputation score

how is sup com going, try microing in that and you'll probably just loose.
Eh, I got up to the last mission of my campaign and got bored. It may not be about micro, but it's also ridiculously easy to turtle, which means you need ridiculously big attack forces to actually get anywhere.

Nunu

Despot
Former Admin
Reputation score

turtling wont get you anywhere when they shell your base to oblivion from a stealth base hidden somewhere on a massive massive map. besides whats wrong with ridiculously large attack forces, thats kinda the point.

Incubus

Horn Dog
Reputation score

turtling wont get you anywhere when they shell your base to oblivion from a stealth base hidden somewhere on a massive massive map.
So basically, the best way to counter the turtling, is to turtle even better.

besides whats wrong with ridiculously large attack forces, thats kinda the point.
I prefer the idea that the right force in the right place is more effective than overwhemling force in the wrong place. But with defences so easy to construct and maintain, no risk of running out of expansion room, and resources easy to acquire and guard, it's very easy to construct something that doesn't have a "right place". In the end, the best way to defeat such things is stealth constructing a forward artillery outpost and shelling until victory.

OP
Rule 34

Rule 34

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

So I was getting bored and on a whim bought Two Worlds for five bucks. My first thought was, "This game looks like shit." Incidentally, those were also my second and third thought. This game was released one year AFTER Oblivion. How can the graphics be so horrible? It looks like one of the free MMORPGs you can download, like DnD Online. Actually I'm pretty sure DnD Online has a better character editor than this as well.