What's new

Games Discussion Thread

Kusanagi

Chief Nippleseer
Reputation score
Re: Games Discussion Thread

... You JUST found out about modding in Borderlands? Have you never played online before?
Yes, I just found out about the modding. I never went looking before.
Not that I didn't figure that something like this was out there, I just never felt like looking until now.

Yeah, I've played online before, but only with my Teamspeak buddies. I tried the arena a few of times, but EVERY SINGLE MOTHER FUCKER USES LILITH. It got boring.

@ Dynasty Warriors: Gundam
It seemed like a fun game from the demo I played. A lot of people I know/knew gave it shit for being 'Gundam', though they never even gave it a try. It's not something I would have payed full price for, but it's worth $15-20 USD.

Termite

A bug
RP Moderator
Reputation score

I enjoyed DW: Gundam very much, but I also played a little of DW: Gundam 2 and enjoyed it even more.

lurker

Hentai Master
Reputation score

If anyone says that strategy games are about massing a single type of unit at the start of the game, DON'T BELIEVE THEM.

Quartz

Evard's Tentacles of Forced Intrusion
Reputation score

I don't think I will ever get sick of seeing the bit with the banelings from that video.

Although, mass reapers at the beginning did work quite well against idra in the finals. It's not what the game is about though, for sure.

Last edited:

SirOni

Demon Girls #1 Fan
Reputation score

You've obviously never played Command and Conquer Red Alert 2; Yuri's Revenge then. Fucking Siege Choppers.

Copper

Lurker
Reputation score

Not just the new DA2 Trailer but the *extended* DA2 Trailer. More fighting, better detail on the magic he's using (like the fire hands at the end) and more...story?...at the beginning.

Hopefully this works for folks.

Lurker
Reputation score

The article says that he's fighting a Qunari. There was no implication that Sten or any of his relatives was the devil...

Copper

Lurker
Reputation score

The Game Informer articles touch on the redesign of the qunari, among other things. Apparently their reasoning behind the difference between Sten vs. This guy is that not all qunari have horns. And there was only a small portion of the race viewed in the first game, so it stands to reason we did not see all physical specimens Par Volen (sod sp?...the Qunari homeland.) had to offer.

Also, while this makes me a bit giddy, I also think it's kind of shitty in a way.

""Never follow me." With these words, Morrigan vanished into the shadows. Her plans and her whereabouts have remained a mystery... until now. But whether you seek answers, revenge, or reconciliation with your lost love, you may find more than you bargained for."

Witch Hunt. The last DA: O DLC. Available Sept. 7th.

Description:
The dreaded Archdemon has been slain and the advance of the darkspawn halted by a lone, heroic Grey Warden. The kingdom rejoices, but at least one question remains: what happened to Morrigan? The sorceress joined the Wardens cause, but it is said her true purpose was not revealed until the eve of the last battle. She vanished into the shadows, and while rumors claimed she crossed over the mountains into Orlais no trace of her path could be found. She was never heard from again... until now. Nearly a year has passed since the Archdemon's death, and word has reached the Wardens that Morrigan has returned to Ferelden. She has been sighted in the southern wilderness where she was first encountered. Is it truly her? If it is, then why has is she here and what secret does she carry with her? The Warden heads into the forest to find out and tie up this last loose end once and for all.

Key Features:
Confront Morrigan in this dramatic conclusion to the Origins storyline
Earn powerful rewards that transfer into your Awakening and Origins campaign
Import your character from Origins or Awakening or create a new, high-level hero!

So, basically, if I want to see how things fully play out, I need the DLC. That...kind of sucks ass in my opinion. From a marketing standpoint, I can see why they'd do it, but up until now, I've mostly just considered a lot of the DLC optional content. This is like...game Canon. I'm thankful for youtube and the stuff people post on it.

Although it makes me wonder even further about the supposed Dragon Age Ultimate Edition that Gamestop apparently has for reservation. It's due out in October and retails for $59.99 but there's been nothing released with regard to content. You'd think the Bioware site would be hyping it up. Unless they're waiting for all the DLC to be published first (which is the theory behind the UE...it's got all the DLC in it.) If that's the case, I might consider trading in my existing copy and picking it up (having gift certs. helps a lot, too.) If it's just codes, like with Stone Prisoner, I'll pass, since I might as well just hook up to the net and download them straight, but if they're on disc, that might be fun.

Incubus

Horn Dog
Reputation score

I've been kinda pissy at the DLC whoring for a while now. Especially considering how underwhelming Awakening was.

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Sorry to say Newbie, but horns don't automatically equal devil. There are plenty of creatures in today's world that have horns, sheep, cows, goats to name a few off the top of my head. So in this world we simply have a bipedal race in which some have horns. Apparently being born with horns (or growing them at puberty, I'm not entirely sure how it works) is quite the honour in Qunari society. It also helps separate them as their own race physically, because before I always thought they were human until half-way through the original game.

As to the new DLC. I'll get it, it's been almost a year since the game's release and hopefully they do a good job. I rather enjoyed Awakenings even though it was short (by RPG standards, otherwise it was still pretty much a full game as I sunk like 10 hours into one play through. That's longer than a lot of games these days), and it really did seem to be leaning towards making much more sense with the Orlais origin. Oh well, I still rather enjoyed it.

I want to see what they cooked up for the finale of the original game, and wonder if there will again be multiple endings that can affect DA2.

Copper

Lurker
Reputation score

I may yet have to pester my friend for an assist on hooking me up to the PSN. Then I've got some serious catching up to do...and yet, given the length of some of the DLC that I'm aware of, one good night and I'll probably be able to knock through it with several of my existing Wardens *laughs* Wonder if it'll make me change any of my fic around, since I'm playing strictly core (no Shale, no Return to Ostagar, nothing.) And I can't *wait* to see what happens to all the fic writers when they come out with this one *chuckles*

Ah well. I've got time. Been this long without it. Maybe I'll wait and see what goes on in October.

Chibichibi

Big Sis
Reputation score

Bah. I wish I could go without playing this DLC xD But I'll get it anyway, I'm sure. -amused-

And i really, really, can't wait for March 8th. That trailer still makes me think arcane warrior. Lightning? Hells yes.

Lurker
Reputation score

A bipedal race with horns in most fictions fall somewhere between mischievous and malicious. Rarely are they the Proud Warrior Race, which is how the Qunari, or at least the Beresad, or at least Sten, were presented.

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

A bipedal race with horns in most fictions fall somewhere between mischievous and malicious. Rarely are they the Proud Warrior Race, which is how the Qunari, or at least the Beresad, or at least Sten, were presented.
Most fictions does not mean all fictions. Yes having horns generally means demonic, but I'm willing to see if BioWare avoids that route or not... only time will tell.

Hentaispider

Lord of the Tap Dance \oO.Oo/ (And Reputation Mana
Staff member
Administrator
Reputation score

Oh? What about minotaurs?

Termite

A bug
RP Moderator
Reputation score

I think that's covered under malicious.

Hentaispider

Staff member
Administrator
Reputation score

Not really. Sure, they're usually in the side of evil, but they're still a proud warrior race. At least in Dragonlance, and probably in other D&D settings, too.

Lurker
Reputation score

On the original (greek) minotaur: A king prayed for a bull as a sign of favor from the gods and when he got it, instead of sacrificing it like he was supposed to, he kept it. So the spurned god called in some favors, and got the king's wife to fall in love with the gods-bull. Weird shit happened, and she ended up fucking the bull. This is how the minotaur was born. Since it was neither animal nor man, and the result of an unnatural pairing of man and beast, it one day decides to eat people because regular food just don't cut it. So the king had a maze built to contain the bloodthirsty bastard. I assume that was their death row, because the beast lived long enough in the maze to be later killed.

Every other minotaur is just kind of bastardized off that frenzied man beast.

Copper

Lurker
Reputation score

And now, may I present the Director's Cut Dragon Age 2 trailer, now with pop-ups (or rather, bloody splashes) that explain just wtf is supposed to be going on. It's fun. And...confirms a few things.

Hentaispider

Staff member
Administrator
Reputation score

On the original (greek) minotaur: A king prayed for a bull as a sign of favor from the gods and when he got it, instead of sacrificing it like he was supposed to, he kept it. So the spurned god called in some favors, and got the king's wife to fall in love with the gods-bull. Weird shit happened, and she ended up fucking the bull. This is how the minotaur was born. Since it was neither animal nor man, and the result of an unnatural pairing of man and beast, it one day decides to eat people because regular food just don't cut it. So the king had a maze built to contain the bloodthirsty bastard. I assume that was their death row, because the beast lived long enough in the maze to be later killed.

Every other minotaur is just kind of bastardized off that frenzied man beast.
Name one fantasy race that isn't similarly bastardized version of some legend.