What's new

Games Discussion Thread

Kusanagi

Chief Nippleseer
Reputation score
Re: Games Discussion Thread

*In best Ellis voice*
HO-LEE SHIT GUYS! KIDDIE- I mean, ARKHAM CITY!
/Ellis

Rocksteady Studios is making Batman Arkham City. Warden Quincy Sharp has taken credit for Batman's victory in Arkham Asylum, and used that to win the position as Mayor. As Mayor, he walls off a section of Gotham and dubs it "Arkham City", placing all the criminals from Arkham and Blackgate in there, saying that those facilities were unfit to house the criminals.
The criminals are left in the walled off area with only one rule: do not escape. To reinforce this, mercenaries are positioned on the walls surrounding the area.
Two-face gets admitted into Arkham City, and decides to prove his worth to the other criminals by executing Catwoman. As Batman, it is your job to go in there and save her, while also uncovering the truth about the facility's psychiatrist, Hugo Strange.
- More or less what Game Informer says about the game on the first page.

Last edited:

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

*In best Ellis voice*
HO-LEE SHIT GUYS! KIDDIE- I mean, ARKHAM CITY!
/Ellis

Rocksteady Studios is making Batman Arkham City. Warden Quincy Sharp has taken credit for Batman's victory in Arkham Asylum, and used that to win the position as Mayor. As Mayor, he walls off a section of Gotham and dubs it "Arkham City", placing all the criminals from Arkham and Blackgate in there, saying that those facilities were unfit to house the criminals.
The criminals are left in the walled off area with only one rule: do not escape. To reinforce this, mercenaries are positioned on the walls surrounding the area.
Two-face gets admitted into Arkham City, and decides to prove his worth to the other criminals by executing Catwoman. As Batman, it is your job to go in there and save her, while also uncovering the truth about the facility's psychiatrist, Hugo Strange.
- More or less what Game Informer say about the game on the first page.

I quite enjoyed Arkham Asylum, and my excitement for this is surprisingly neutral. Though that will undoubtedly change when the date gets closer. I'm weird about games and excitement.

However, I'm also nervous about the bit with Catwoman. Frankly I'd almost want to play as her, but that's just me. I've always liked her character from what little I know about Batman's world. So I hope that she isn't killed at the very least. That would very much upset me.

So I was getting bored and on a whim bought Two Worlds for five bucks. My first thought was, "This game looks like shit." Incidentally, those were also my second and third thought. This game was released one year AFTER Oblivion. How can the graphics be so horrible? It looks like one of the free MMORPGs you can download, like DnD Online. Actually I'm pretty sure DnD Online has a better character editor than this as well.
My first thought was actually "shitty character editor". Graphics aren't something that bother me much, and I find that today people are getting too uptight about them. Playing the recently released Clash of the Titans video game, I felt the graphics were okay, but a review said they belonged on the PS2. Obviously someone hasn't played a PS2 in awhile and is spoiled by his Hi-def TV.

however, don't get me wrong. Two Worlds was a shit game, but not because of graphics... but because of everything else.

And holy shit was that some bad dialogue.

Copper

Lurker
Reputation score

Squeeeeeeeeee! Dragon Age 2 trailer is live and all I have to say is HOOOOLY shit.

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Squeeeeeeeeee! Dragon Age 2 trailer is live and all I have to say is HOOOOLY shit.

Holy shit. Well put together trailer. I'm very excited for this game, it has the potential to be so much more than the original in terms of story telling.

TheJester2009

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score

Was never a big fan of the first one, don't know why it just didn't click for me. Which is weird because I've liked nearly every BioWare game to come out. (Mass Effect 2, omg!) But this was just...I dunno.

Nunu

Despot
Former Admin
Reputation score

i think the largest problem with the first one was that it took place in a generic fantasy setting. thats a mold thats very hard to break out of and i don't think they achieved it in the first game.

Copper

Lurker
Reputation score

Aye, and they are looking to expand upon that in the second game and do more with it, hopefully beyond anything generic.

After watching the trailer a second time (blame Chibi) anyone else thinking Blood Mage/Arcane Warrior when watching Hawke at the end there?

Chibichibi

Big Sis
Reputation score

Aye, and they are looking to expand upon that in the second game and do more with it, hopefully beyond anything generic.

After watching the trailer a second time (blame Chibi) anyone else thinking Blood Mage/Arcane Warrior when watching Hawke at the end there?
Maker's Breath, yes. I want my Hawke to be as manry as possible and stab them with fire. <3 <3 <3

Quartz

Evard's Tentacles of Forced Intrusion
Reputation score

CGI trailers are always so sexy.

Also for SCII, I've decided that mass Phoenixes in PvP matches are the best thing ever. People never seem to respond the right way, and end up getting contained by the constant harass while I expand to 3 bases. I'm sure people will eventually learn to build more cannons to stop it, but so far everybody I've used it against just spams stalkers.

I'm such a bad protoss though. I need to start playing zerg again.

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

We'll see what happens, but I don't see it bursting too far away from generic fantasy setting. However that doesn't bother me overly much because I still enjoyed the setting in the first game.

And yeah, I was thinking Blood Mage at the end. Probly because of the eyes. A spell to rip someone apart with fiery hands though sounds fun.

Maker's Breath, yes. I want my Hawke to be as manry as possible and stab them with fire. <3 <3 <3
My Hawke is going to be female, and I'll still probly stay away from magic. I always preferred having a good blade at hand and being damn good with that, over some magic. Just the way I roll.

Chibichibi

Big Sis
Reputation score

I haven't made a female character in a while. The only reason i had one before was the different romance option, and with the free love mod there's no point. I like having male characters, because I'm female. lol. If I'm playing a fantasy game i want to be as far away from my life as possible. Meaning Male, non human, and Magic user. I like knocking enemies down with a mind blast and then stabbing them while they're gasping on the ground.

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

I wasn't criticizing you. Everyone plays games their own way. Because if everyone played a game like i did, there'd be no point for all this customization.

Copper

Lurker
Reputation score

We'll see what happens, but I don't see it bursting too far away from generic fantasy setting. However that doesn't bother me overly much because I still enjoyed the setting in the first game.

And yeah, I was thinking Blood Mage at the end. Probly because of the eyes. A spell to rip someone apart with fiery hands though sounds fun.

My Hawke is going to be female, and I'll still probly stay away from magic. I always preferred having a good blade at hand and being damn good with that, over some magic. Just the way I roll.
To expand on my lack of articulation in that...yeah, still going to be set in Thedas, but they're expanding more on the various settings. We're moving out of Ferelden and into the Free Marches. Some of the maps even reference Nevarra and uh...Pon Varel? Brainblank. Qunari continent. And since the Qunari seem to be heavily featured here... Hoping to see more of the other cultures expanded upon. Haven't played the DLC but was a little disappointed to see that Leliana's Song took place in Denerim. Ah well.

Yeah, didn't think about it until I saw him messing with his arm there for a bit and then FWOOSH! Fiery rendings looks fun.

Probably go through the game with both. Haven't played a mage in the original yet, so I'll have to see how I like them. I do much prefer blades though and rogue. I just...being able to lockpick on my own makes me sooo much happier. Will have to see how combat goes, I suppose.

Chibichibi

Big Sis
Reputation score

I wasn't criticizing you. Everyone plays games their own way. Because if everyone played a game like i did, there'd be no point for all this customization.
I didn't think you were. I was just elaborating on my love of male!Hawke and his fiery I rip you apart arms of doom

Kusanagi

Chief Nippleseer
Reputation score

Well, I thought I'd mention this as I just found it today. It's something for Borderlands.
*NOTE: If you don't like it, then don't use it. It's that simple.

Basically, the page has editors that allow you to edit your .SAV files and tools which let you create items. You can give your character items, mod your stats - it's kind of like Diablo II's Hero Editor, but a bit more user-friendly. personally, I used the WillowTree game save editor along with the Gear Calculator tool. The Gear Calculator tool can be used to create a "legit" weapon - meaning it has to be something you could potentially find legitimately in the game, so no cross-manufacturer parts (can't have a Torque-specific Barrel and an S&S-specific Ammo Clip). Also, you can choose what the level of the weapon is. The higher the level, the better the weapon, but it also means you have to be that level or better to use the weapon. You can also make Shields, but I haven't played around with that yet. So far I've made 3 elemental-based SMGs for my Lilith, seems to work fine.

I should also note that you can also create weapons/items with the WillowTree editor, but I haven't played with that yet.

DarkFire1004

Tentacle Goddess of the H-Section
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reputation score

... You JUST found out about modding in Borderlands? Have you never played online before?

Incubus

Horn Dog
Reputation score

I bought Dynasty Warriors: Gundam today. For the lulz.

Copper

Lurker
Reputation score

Apparently for some reason that is insanely hard to get ahold of these days. Hope you at least get some amusement out of it.

Incubus

Horn Dog
Reputation score

I still didn't buy it for any gameplay quality. If it turns out to be decent, which it probably will, as it used the DW combat system, that's a bonus.