What's new

ACT [八角家] ハチナ怪異譚 (RJ431925)

Rat-attack

Sex Demon
Reputation score
@Noble 6 I think the point is more so that as a result people can then do manual proper translations instead that then end up replacing the MTL's.
Will take some time though for on to be made/done.

Jesus

The Father, The Son, The Holy Spirit
Staff member
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score
Hype train go choo-choo

I never really understood the hate MTLs get. Sure they're a butchery of the author's original intent and the english language both, but it still gets the point across better than moon-runes if you can't understand them.

takeba

Reputation score
I never really understood the hate MTLs get. Sure they're a butchery of the author's original intent and the english language both, but it still gets the point across better than moon-runes if you can't understand them.
Yeah, I'd rather have a vague idea of what's going on instead of no idea.

I wonder how well this game can be modded. I made a janky mod for Mission Mermaiden that made escaping more difficult amongst other things. Hope the same can be done with this one too.

Noble 6

Mystic Girl
Reputation score
Hype train go choo-choo

It drastically lowers the chances of a game getting a "real" translation.
The times where a game with "an MTL'd game getting a second translation" are so rare, it's easy to name them. And most of them usually involve a third party publisher trying to get the game onto steam.

Yeah, you might have a slightly-playable translation now. But from what I remember of reading Mission Mermaiden in JP and then trying the "edited MTL" like a year ago, the latter almost completely omitted why the recharge chairs worked for Hasumi.
This game is made around not just Japanese folklore, but even folklore that the devs themselves considered obscure and had to look into. I do not trust an MTL to translate that correctly, and because the game will have "an existing translation," it would be a while before someone does more than just edit the MTL.

My main example always will be Taima Miko. The game has fun, hilarious, and compelling writing. But you would not know that if you only played the Steam release, which was an MTL.

Rat-attack

Sex Demon
Reputation score
I'm sorry @Noble 6 , but I don't agree with that thought/blame process as there's a great many games out there that despite popularity never got translations, fan or MTL or official. But with those where an MTL occurs I've seen a fair amount ending up getting fan fixes to the MTL's or a whole rewrite. I've rarely seen fan ones appear from no translation, which I feel is in part because there's no obvious way to do so but also there's a ton more work to do with doing so.
For example and to my great shame still I haven't yet completed (via time and other personal things) my full translation of Acid Style's Explorer of the Golden Planet and even after someone tried to finish it and did a lot of work they ended up being forced to abandon it, I've only recently been able to start a little bit on it again along with contacting that person to see about joining hands and someone else. Biggest problem with doing it though has been there's no easy way to get a hold of the text, make changes and put it back while finding out the context connected to the text if it's a story one. (best hint is knowing what room it's occurring in, but not when it's triggered in terms of progression)
If there was an MTL and the original to compare and go between things for that game would be a ton easier though I've been using google translate/bing and other sites to do my best at translating at is and guessing what makes the most sense since I don't actually know JP, do know though that if I just MTL'ed it then some things would not make sense and always be obvious.

So if a bad translation occurs for Hachina, so what? We end up still with the original text and it's MTL, all that needs to be done next is for someone to compare the two and make corrections, can be done to a limited degree by someone that just reads the MTL text file. It cuts a fair chunk of work in my mind as a result, can be annoying to make changes though if the text file is in the assests and not possible to extract though as it's unity we already know the bepin and reipatcher work so they can make the files probably no?

I don't believe I'm wrong in anything I've said but I wouldn't be surprised as I've not looked deeply into it all nor tried to translate and unity game nor any others than the one I've attempted and put on an hard long pause. I just believe that Hachina's translation should be fixable much easier as a result of the MTL if it is a mess as it can provide a starting point as long as it doesn't break the game itself. If I've offended as a result of my lack of knowledge then I apologize.

WaffleDance

Reputation score
Very excited for the release!

I bit the bullet during covid and learned to read the moonrunes so I don't have to worry about translation quality anymore usually. Though naturally some obscure references will go right over my head. (Like all the rock stuff in undercrust was a bit beyond me at the time)

Noble 6

Mystic Girl
Reputation score
We end up still with the original text and it's MTL, all that needs to be done next is for someone to compare the two and make corrections
Yep. And it almost never happens.
Even in your own example, you admitted that it failed to happen (twice).
And no, an "edited MTL" is not a translation. It's just someone grammatically touching up what google/bing/deepl failed to translate before. The original meanings are always lost, it becomes a shoddy game of Telephone.

Hachina's game has a glossary for enemies, medicines, etc. I don't expect an MTL to translate that well, and I don't expect someone who tries to "edit" an MTL to actually properly compare and add back any missed meanings.

Aflac

Reputation score
well from the blogposts on fc2, it looks like the dev ordered transcripts for the translations, so it appears that the translations for this game were done by people, not machine translated.

Attachments

Noby

Reputation score
Really hope so. Having to try and decipher what the MTL is saying really takes me out of the moment.

MisaShot

Reputation score
People hate MTLs because in a lot of cases it's either unreadable gibberish or it breaks the game and the one who made it has no idea on how to fix it.
Yep. And it almost never happens.
Even in your own example, you admitted that it failed to happen (twice).
And no, an "edited MTL" is not a translation. It's just someone grammatically touching up what google/bing/deepl failed to translate before. The original meanings are always lost, it becomes a shoddy game of Telephone.

Hachina's game has a glossary for enemies, medicines, etc. I don't expect an MTL to translate that well, and I don't expect someone who tries to "edit" an MTL to actually properly compare and add back any missed meanings.
To be fair I don't think there's any edited MTL that claims to be a proper translation. It just tries to bring the gist of the game in a readable manner. I wouldn't discredit them either because it's still work, effort and time someone puts into. Honestly your complaints are something almost noone can relate to because the fewest people actually can understand japanese. Those who do would just play the JP version as well.

Boxtie

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
This is one hell of an emotional roller coaster.

From "I'll be doing bug testing and releasing it much later" to

"Released in two days, lol!"

OP
blueinorb9

blueinorb9

Reputation score
This is one hell of an emotional roller coaster.

From "I'll be doing bug testing and releasing it much later" to

"Released in two days, lol!"
Mizuku pulled a pro gamer move and turned on us all

IAmAKi

Reputation score
Honestly, smart decision.

Set a release date pretty far ahead of your expected finishing time, don't get anybody's hopes up even if you're well within schedule, reveal with the last few bugfixes you're about done and drop the game onto the market within the week. It might be unexpected to the fans, but what is somebody gonna do, complain it's releasing well ahead of its dlsite finishing date?

Hazunya

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
I needed my time on the recharge, I guess we will have to speed up the recovery time...

Mick2000

Reputation score

it's here.... the game is finally here

OP
blueinorb9

blueinorb9

Reputation score
Mizuku: "Guys, the game will be released on October 7th".

Also Mizuku: *Release the game literally a minute into October 7th*

Update: I threw my money at the dlsite ver. Hell yeah.

Last edited:

Madly

Reputation score
Normally I would be cheap dirty pirate especially for Hentai game... but for this one, even with Country Gov "Moral" Blocking, I still ended up paying for it.
Well 10 dollars well spent, at least better than spending them on some low quality "AAA" games in these modern "Game Company" era.