What's new

Into the Maw OOC Thread

BlueSlime

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score
Re: Rogue Trader interest check.

Okey dokie, you're the helmsman. Prepare to hear a lot of "You have the bridge, Number One."

Zilrax

Master of Kinky Fetishes. Or just Bitch if you pre
Reputation score

Someone was going to say it, so I'm already prepared. Now if we can just work the guns from the cockpit I'll be golden haha.

maikochan

User #69
Reputation score

Leaning towards the Tau mercenary at the moment. If Tenta ends up joining, I could do the Guardsman, or have the two Tau work together. If Tenta will be going for a battlesuit pilot, I'd be leaning towards a Drone Controller, if that'd be fine.

And... I think the Fire Warrior career is the same level as the other careers. There was some odd bits in the text saying that, for example, that Drone Controller is available only to Rogue Traders, Explorators, Missionaries, Seneshals and Void-Masters, which wouldn't really make sense since it's chiefly a Fire Warrior specialization.

BlueSlime

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score

If we have Tau, it would make sense that our little venture is involved with the Cold Trade (the buying and selling of lucrative and heretical xeno tech for major profit)

TentanariX

Lurker
Reputation score

i know its late for asking, but does cauld want us to use an online dice roller like DND or invisible castle? Or is rolling our own physical dice acceptable as well?

Zilrax

Master of Kinky Fetishes. Or just Bitch if you pre
Reputation score

Invisiblecastle.

maikochan

User #69
Reputation score

If the trade involves xenotech stuff, then it's probably at least possible to come across a serviceable or repairable XV battlesuit or Drones... Right?

I still need to put my nose into the book and actually get around to figuring out what dice to roll where... I've played some WH Fantasy RPG before, but this seems a little bit different, though there's obviously a great deal of similarity too.

TentanariX

Lurker
Reputation score

Shas'la Sa'cea Shas'len'ra (Fire Warrior of Sa'cea sept, Cautious Warrior) , Tau Fire Warrior/Battle Suit Pilot

Let me know if I left anything out or if anything needs correction.

Name: Shas'la Sa'cea Shas'len'ra (Fire Warrior of Sa'cea sept, Cautious Warrior)
Homeworld: Tau
Birthright:
Lure of the Void:
Trials and Travails:
Motivation:
Career: Fire Warrior/ Battlesuit Pilot

WS 28
BS 38 (+5) 43 [100XP]
STR 27
Tough 42
AGI 46
INT 38
PER 42
WILL 38
FELL 38

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4591617/

Wounds: 12
Fate: 2
Corruption:
Insanity:

Traits:
-For The Greater Good!
The Tau value the group over the self, and further trust their comrades and commanders to always choose the best course of action. This enables every Tau to follow orders without hesitation or doubt. Once per encounter, a Tau Explorer may gain a +10 bonus to a Test made while directly following an order from another Tau character. Additionally, if this order places the Explorer into substantial danger to benefit the group as a whole, this bonus increases to +30 (GM’s discretion).

-Non-Imperial
This character was not raised among humans, and knows little about the culture and history of the Imperium. The laws, traditions, religion, and superstitions of Mankind are unfamiliar and alien to characters with this trait. The character suffers a –10 penalty on all Common Lore, Forbidden Lore, and Scholastic Lore Tests relating to the Imperium of Man.

-Speak Not Unto the Alien
This creature is a member of an alien species that is viewed with a mixture of fear and loathing, and different enough in form and thought as to make any kind of social interaction a greater challenge.
This creature suffers a –20 penalty on all Fellowship-based Tests when dealing with humans, and imposes the same penalty on humans. These penalties do not apply when dealing with individuals who have become familiar with him. Finally, the presence of any xenos aboard a human vessel is unsettling for the crew. The continued presence of one or
more xenos Explorers aboard a human ship reduces its morale by 2.

Classified Competence

Windstrider

*Although most large vehicles fall under the Air caste’s
purview, the Fire Caste still employs many smaller craft, most
notably the wide variety of powerful battlesuits. Fire Warriors
might find themselves piloting Battlesuits, Piranhas, or other
such machines for a variety of reasons, but in all cases share
the determination to utilise their vehicle to defend their allies.

Once per encounter, a Tau Explorer who chose this Classified
Competence may spend a Reaction to make a Half Move Action
while in a vehicle or battlesuit. If he ends this Move Action
within three metres of a friendly Tau character, the next attack
that would hit that ally this Turn instead hits the Windstrider,
who relies on the vehicle or battlesuit’s superior armour to
absorb the blow.

Talents:

Fire Caste Weapon Training
Prerequisites: None
This Explorer is proficient in the use of all Tau weaponry, and can wield these weapons without suffering the penalty for untrained weapon use.

Marksman
Prerequisites: BS 35
Distance is no object with a gun in your hand, and you are as adept at picking off far away targets as you are ones nearby. You suffer no penalties for shooting at Long or Extended Range.

Rapid Reload
All reload times are reduced by half.

Supporting Fire
Prerequisites: None
Tau prefer ranged combat over barbaric melee, and seek to cut down their foes before they reach close combat. Any time an enemy makes a Charge Action to become engaged in melee with an allied Tau character within 20 metres, this Explorer may spend his Reaction to make a Standard Ranged Attack at a –20 penalty against the enemy. This attack
resolves before the target completes its Charge Action.

Unshakable Faith
Your faith in the Greater Good is so strong that you are unafraid of stepping into danger. You mat re-roll any failed Willpower Test to resist to the effects of fear.

New Allies [300 XP]
Prerequisites: Fellowship 30
This Fire Warrior has grown accustomed to working with xenos allies, whether these be Kroot mercenaries, Vespid warriors, Eldar wanderers, or even human Gue’va. This Explorer’s For the Greater Good!, Supporting
Fire, and Classified Competency Traits, and any Talents he possesses that reference Tau characters can include any trusted ally (such as other Explorers), instead of only allied Tau characters.

Starting Skills:
Common Lore (Tau Empire),
Dodge,
Logic, Literacy,
Speak Language (Tau),
Tech-Use,
Common Lore (War) [100 XP]

Gear: Good Craftsmanship Pulse Rifle
Best Craftsmanship Pulse Pistol
3 Tau Photon Grenades
Tau Combat Armor with inbuilt micro-bead, translator unit, and blacksun filter.

Unspent EXP: 0
Spent EXP: 5,000

Bio: (Will come later))

Last edited:

Chameon

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

My backstory's finally up, way, way later then it should be. Apologies to anybody who was waiting for me to have some sort of big amazing plot up for the wait. It ain't happening. If anybody wants a somewhat dull read, however, it's listed on my page.

BlueSlime

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Maiko and Tenta, are either of you familiar with the lore of RT? Do you have suggestions as for what you're doing on an Imperial ship? (To my mind, we're still nominally pro-Imperium, as it makes us money and gains us prestige back in the more civilized sectors of space.) An alien presence hurts morale unless we become comprised of a crew that has good reason to be sympathetic with xeno presence, for this reason, I'd say Faydra would prefer any xenos to be hidden from the general crew, and she'd want plausible deniability if any Inquisitor gets on her back for consorting with the Alien.

She's only interested in risking aliens on her ship if they can make her a profit.

maikochan

User #69
Reputation score

You know, I actually had a good reason for that Ork to be on the ship... Had planned on writing it up as him describing how he got there to the Trader in full Orky speak. Might end up doing it for fun at some point, but for now, I'll just mention that it involved a game of Squigball (The objective of the game is to see who beats the snot out of a squig the fastest. If no squig is available, gretchin may be used instead. The winner gets to eat the squig as well as keeps any teeth knocked from the players during the game) and a Choppa made out of a toilet.

For the Tau, they could be from the same cadre, or have arrived separately. The joined story would be simpler, as there only needs to be one. When I was expecting to be the only Tau, the story involved a more diplomatic warrior than what I'm currently building, who became separated from the main Tau force and made their way to a human village where they traded their skills as a marksman to protect the village from Ork raiders in exchange for A) not killing the warrior and B) a way off the planet (Possibly in the form of a good recommendation to the Trader's ship).

For Shao're... well, I'm still deciding on what to spend her starting experience on. If her and Tenta's warrior (who has a not at all Tau-sounding name, I'd like to point out, though it could be a translated version) are from the same cadre, then his New Allies talent and marginally higher Fellowship score (and human-like name) might make him the more likely one to have arranged it.

Otherwise, I can move a few numbers around and make Shao're a bit more of a diplomat (for a member of the Fire Caste) and go with my original story. Another possibility is that the Tau (one or both) offered some piece of Tau technology in exchange for passage and aren't so much crew at the current point.

And if that's still a no-go, I can just default back to that Guardsman I mentioned before.

Edit: Oh, current build for Shao're is as a pretty tech-savvy character, and I notice the crew doesn't include an explorator or other techie, unless I missed something, so she'd probably do pretty well as a ship mechanic too. Especially since Non-Imperial doesn't penalize Tech-use.

And Tenta, about Tau names. They follow a convention and can be pretty long by human standards. They have three parts, the Tau's caste and rank, their homesept (homeworld), and then any personal identifiers. So Shao're's full name is Shas'la Tash'var Shao're, which translates roughly to Fire Warrior from Tash'var named Shao're (which is a word I made up to sound Tau-ish and, so far as I know, doesn't have an established translation. I'll come up with one if it needs one.)

The caste and rank have two parts, obviously. Caste for any Fire Warrior is Shas (for example, Earth caste is Fio). The rank would probably be 'la or 'ui. Shas'la are the main rank-and-file Fire Warriors and translates literally to Fire Warrior. Shas'ui are the lieutenants or sergeants in the Tau army. 'ui translates to Veteran.

Here's a list of the Tau septs as well as what they're generally known for: . I may consider changing Shao're's homesept to Tau'n, Dal'yth or Sa'cea depending on how I end up finalizing her build.

An example of a particularly long Tau name is Shas'o Vior'La Shovah Kais Mont'yr, shortened to Commander Farsight (O'Shovah).

Here's a page with some examples and explanations, as well as a very short list of translated words:

Also, Tenta, I'm planning on taking Precise Hunter for Shao're as well. Since you're planning on going for a battlesuit pilot, it might be best to go with Windstrider. You can't benefit yourself with Expose Weakness, but if Shao're used it on some baddie and then your guy unleashed a hail of fire from a battlesuit, that'd be pretty devastating, in addition to the rest of the crew's firing.

Last edited:

BlueSlime

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score

The squigball story could have been funny, true, but I still don't see a reason why the ork wouldn't be shot six ways to Sunday by every human on the ship. Faydra don't dig on squig.

The Tau is far more understandable as far as a potential ally. Caulder needs to let us know where he intends for us to start out, but I might suggest that the two of you were a part of an exploratory force that got caught up in withstanding a savage orc attack and ended up fighting with a human settlement who were too outnumbered to balk at an alien force choosing to save their bacon (for the greater good). Your battle group was heavily overwhelmed, but at the last second, interceptor fighters and landing crafts opened fire from above, devastating the orks from behind and setting the to flight once their boss shaman got crushed by a lander. Out of that lander stepped Faydra and her standard Away Team (the PCs).

The two of you were relatively unscathed survivors who want to get back to the Tau Empire space to report on what happened to this exploratory force and you need our help to get there. In return for our transport, you offer to fight with us, and to speak well of us enough for a good trade deal in your xeno-tech. Perhaps you are hoping to convince Faydra to switch sides and join the Tau. We could pick up the journey from that point?

maikochan

User #69
Reputation score

Sounds fine to me.

TentanariX

Lurker
Reputation score

Yeah that works fine for me too.

OP
Caulder

Caulder

Is completely fucking irrelevant. And he's a bitch
RP Moderator
Reputation score

For starters, I had originally planned on only Maiko or Tenta being part of the crew, but after seeing how much effort you're putting into getting them into the crew proper and not be hated by the rest of the ship, I'm gonna say both are in.

As for where the ship will be starting, the idea is for it to start with the Beneficent Murder arriving at Port Wander for the first time. After all, Faydra just got her ship, so it makes sense she's not taken her right of passage as a Rogue Trader yet.

maikochan

User #69
Reputation score

Well, here's Shao'Re's sheet. As of posting, it's not complete in that I haven't spent the starting XP and haven't done anything about a free acquisition (Leaning to trying to get a markerlight and/or target lock for the armor). Nor have I done anything with the Origin Path because I wasn't sure how it would work for Tau. Also haven't rolled Wound points yet and haven't done anything with fate, insanity or corruption points yet either. Though Tau are somewhat immune to either corruption or insanity, I forget which, because of their near-lack of presence in the Warp.

Also haven't done any fluff writing, though I have done some thinking on it.

Shao'Re:

Characteristic Dice Rolls:

Wound Dice Roll: Since I couldn't find where it said Tau Wounds were generated, I just copied Tenta's roll.

Last edited:
OP
Caulder

Caulder

RP Moderator
Reputation score

After careful consideration, and more in-depth reading into the Tau Creation Guide, I've come to a disturbing revelation. With the way it is set up, it appears to have been created for much shorter campaigns than I am planning, what with Tau having a grand total of 3 Strong Constitution advances across their entire tree, and only starting with one Fate Point. As such, I will be saying that Tau start with an additional Fate Point, and can take another 3 Sound Constitutions at a later date as Elite Advances for 300 XP each.

Sorry to be ruling this so late, but I just got around to getting more in-depth into the guide than the basic creation info and talents/skills. Any complaints against this ruling, please feel free to speak your mind.

BlueSlime

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score

My only concern is whether or not the Tau are considered underpowered due to the lack of fate points. I have not heard of them being so, especially if they get to use their mech suit technology, which makes them Space Marine tier.

So if you're intending on not allowing them easy or early access to their tech (which might make sense given the storyline that's been hashed out so far) then I'm fine with the Fate point raise.

The sound constitution as an elite advance is always permissible, given that an elite advance is anything you could justify your character as acquiring due to gameplay and if they are willing to spend extra experience on it.

maikochan

User #69
Reputation score
Re: Into the Maw OOC Thread

Tau also structure their tactics around killing the enemy before they have a chance to kill you, so lacking the extra Sound Constitution makes sense from a story perspective, but yah, for more extraordinary characters, it wouldn't hurt. (I actually forget what Sound Constitution does at the moment...)

OP
Caulder

Caulder

RP Moderator
Reputation score
Re: Into the Maw OOC Thread

Each time you get Sound constitution, it gives your character another Wound.