What's new

Lets talk tactics...

ZeroSpace

Lurker
Reputation score
Well now, the 1st thing I'd like to discuss is this:
Rushing (in game) vs Real life

Now to the people that followed this from a certain thread in the hentai games section... lets continue.
Yes rushing is a ok noob tactic, but I ca use it to counter rushes. Cause Rush - Rush = 0.
Now a normal rush tactic can be easily foiled if not planned correctly, and since in games you can probably see the massive army coming at you miles away you'd be able to at least prepare a bit...
Now in real life, things are much more different, a sucessful rush could mean a good rest, while failure could cost your life. But a rush in real life could be done in very many ways.
Lets use paint ball guns as examples since I don't think people would like it if I started talking about war and what not. Cover, check. ammo, check. people, check.
A rush could mean your whole team or a small group going full speed towards enemy to catch them off guard, it is not the last choice since a well planned rush is just what a offensive team would need.
I for one use distraction to a great advantage by giving false hints. In gaming it would be me having a huge mass of army going to a certain point without engaging in combat while a smaller more powerful group go another way. If the enemy notice the small group and try to kill them, the weak mass can go right in and bam, I win. If they go for the massive group, the power group would run them over. In other words, by creating 2 threats you'd be able to penatrate the enemy defense easier. But rushing is also very easy to defend from. 1) Rush back at them. 2) Build a better defense. 3) Take the time while they are too busy attacking you to sneak around and attack base. So while rushing is annoying, you just need to tell them it doesn't work on you.
Now in real life, we all should know how bad it is when people mindlessly throw lives into the middle of gun fire.
In real life rushing for the offense would be to try and get defense off guard so you can get close and hit them hard.
For the defensive side, a rush for them would be really stupid. Just keep your eyes peeled and fire at will.
Now I might sound contradicting just now, but bare with me while I go on this rant.
Now if the defense isn't stupid enough to panic under a rush, the offense would need a good plan or else good cover while they rush, I personally like to cause a huge distraction and have team sneak up on other team from behind, or just pop up and shoot them in the face. So if someone is a good tactian, a rush can be a genius idea considering the situation.

Last edited:

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score
Re: Lets talk tactics...

We use "Rush" tactics all the time. But in real life you can not simply just go "AAAHHH CHARGE" cause that's what gets people killed.
The Germans were the first to use a "Rush" in real life. Except they called it a Blitzkrieg, and it startled the fuck out of most countries and worked. Unfortunately it backfired in Russia because of extended supply lines.
I'd talk about what we do but... not supposed to.

ToxicShock

(And Reputation Manager)
Staff member
Administrator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

It also depends on terrain and who is the attacking country. Wasn't a lot of the asian countries strategies, despite having less people, and a lot of the time, no firearms, charging at the enemy, screaming your lungs out, blade in hand?
I mean sure, they lost a lot of people, but they were willing to do it. Arguments can be made for kamikazes as well.

Loli Defense Force

Lili
RP Moderator
Reputation score

We use "Rush" tactics all the time. But in real life you can not simply just go "AAAHHH CHARGE" cause that's what gets people killed.
The Germans were the first to use a "Rush" in real life. Except they called it a Blitzkrieg, and it startled the fuck out of most countries and worked. Unfortunately it backfired in Russia because of extended supply lines.
I'd talk about what we do but... not supposed to.
In their defense, it was much better then the Allie's initial response of "Let's send wave after wave of perfectly straight lines of men at their machineguns!"

lurker

Hentai Master
Reputation score

I have read that the brits did the same thing in the Civil War, due to them still trained in the Napoleanic views of war, and the americans just had an easier time shelling the nice tight groups.

My opinion on strategy is to get defences, and then try to send in offence later.

Hentaispider

Lord of the Tap Dance \oO.Oo/ (And Reputation Mana
Staff member
Administrator
Reputation score

There can be many reasons why it's not an option. Among other things, unless there's something to force your enemy to attack, you're just giving them time to strengthen their defenses.

cross_grave

Lurker
Reputation score

The first thing a good commander should take care of is scouting. There's no such thing as "too much info about your enemy".

Pale

Reputation score

What do we think about the idea of using artillery to soften up the enemy position, then following through with a rush? In gaming, we're talking a support power, or a superweapon.

On the positive side, it can destroy defences, throw them off guard, etc etc...

On the negative it can warn the enemy that you're coming. That's not good.

P

cross_grave

Lurker
Reputation score

If you throw enough bombs at them, they won't be able to retaliate anyway.

Pale

Reputation score

Now, I could be wrong.. but wasn't that what went horribly wrong at the Somme? The allies bombed the trenches, then sent in the troops.. the Germans went into their bunkers, came out when the firing stopped, and machine-gunned the allied forces...

I'd be thinking more of bombing, then pausing so they expect an attack, bombing again, pausing again, so they get used to the cessation of firing.. then, when they get complacent, THEN launch an attack.

P

cross_grave

Lurker
Reputation score

Well, that depends on how well you've planned the bombing. Of course, terrain and such also are important. Sometimes one assault is enough, sometimes it's useless to try.

Diagasvesle

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Ah. But that sounds interesting. But try to instead decrease their moral. If I was a commander, I would send in spies and try to spread rumors of how powerful my army is. I'll send in around 45 spies before the war and group them together. Half the spies are cowards, while the other half use kamikaze tactics. The cowards would drain down their allies morals. While the other spy would boost their moral only to fake a death and cause their spirits to take a nosedive and cause troop rebellion.

That is my insidious strategy. I would then back it up with artillery. I will barrage the other enemy, with artillery, under the cover of aritllery a elite force of my troops will attempt a sneak, while I use my other troops as fodder and send them running into my own barrage of artillery. Those that make it, will cause the enemy to raise up and fight back underneath artillery barrages. I would order only one platoon to do the suicide charge. The elite force of mine would try to get past the defensive lines and set up a mini-base within their lines. They would then learn the terrain and wage guerilla warfare. The enemy will be attacked on the front and the back. They will think their sandwiched by two armies, only to realize if they surrender that they were being attacked my elite troops (Mulitple squads in their defensive line, living off the land and such.) If they don't surrender, then the better tactician at this point would win.

ToxicShock

(And Reputation Manager)
Staff member
Administrator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

If you throw enough bombs at them, they won't be able to retaliate anyway.
Enough demomen solve everything, so goes my tf2 phrase

Loli Defense Force

Lili
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Or you can just send wave after wave of men until their kill counters reach their limits and they simply shut down... I mean run out of bullets.

Lurker
Reputation score

try to spread rumors of how powerful my army is.
I believe there was a battle that was never fought because one of the commanders spent a day and a half marching his troops up and down a hill to give a false sense of numbers to the foe. I do frequently make stuff up though, so you may want to check that info.

while I use my other troops as fodder and send them running into my own barrage of artillery. ...I would order only one platoon to do the suicide charge.
I'm afraid I can't agree with purposefully sacrificing people. I can accept them taking high-risk missions, but sending them to their death intentionally and by my hand?

If we are talking in terms of games, I usually try to maintain a defense until I can pump out two or three uberunits, and then end my foe as quickly as possible. IRL I'm not sure as it's never come up and the first casualty of any battle is the plan.

Lucas

Lurker
Reputation score

OP
ZeroSpace

ZeroSpace

Lurker
Reputation score

Good example of what NOT to do Lucas!

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score

I don't care what you all say, I like Lucas plan just because it's hilarious, especially with "Flight of the Bumblebee" playing.

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Newbie, you'r talking about General Brock I believe in the war of 1812. He used Canadian Militia and Natives to set extra fires and march extra loud to seem like a much bigger force.

The plan Pale was talking about was used by the Canadians during the First World War at Vimy Ridge. They shelled them, and because the allies always attacked directly after a artillery barrage the Germans manned their machine guns right after the shelling was finished. Instead of an attack the Canadians sent artillery again. They did this for two days I believe. During one of the bombardments the Canadians left their trenches and moved up whilst the shelling was still happening, protected by their own artillery. When the Germans came up to man their guns, the Canadians were right there.

The Germans also used poison gas at the second battle of Ypres in WWI. First time Mustard gas was used. French retreated. Luckily a Canadian Chemist knew how to stop it, by pissing on a rag and holding it over your nose and mouth. Many people were still killed by gas, and the Canadians took a pounding, but they held the line.

However, bomb after bomb dosn't work. D-Day, the beaches of Normandy were pounded for days before the attack, I don't think a single German was killed because of the bunkers. Most battles in WWI were followed by hours or days artillery bombardment, but men just hid in their holes. Like Pale said, look at the Somme.

The Germans used the Blitzkrieg in the early days of WWII to great effect. Defeated the French and pushed the British off the mainland. They rushed for Paris in WWI by going through Belgium, but British interference (who joined due to a incident in Belgium) stopped them, though they were far into French territory.

Guerrilla warfare, while not fancy, can be effective and damaging to morale. Worked in Vietnam, and was brutal for the Americans in the Pacific theater of WWII.

Last edited: