Lets talk tactics...

ToxicShock

(And Reputation Manager)
Staff member
Administrator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score
Re: Lets talk tactics...

Guerrilla warfare, while not fancy, can be effective and damaging to morale. Worked in Vietnam, and was brutal for the Americans in the Pacific theater of WWII.
Those are the ones I was thinking of.

Caulder

Is completely fucking irrelevant. And he's a bitch
RP Moderator
Reputation score

*smokes his pipe* Burn them out. Mass the Flame Tanks and roast them. Capture a War Factory and make some APCs. Load 'em with Black Hand. Then, when all else fails, launch the nuke.

ToxicShock

(And Reputation Manager)
Staff member
Administrator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Tesla coils everywhere.
Also recon bikes for the lulz

Shrike7

Lurker
Reputation score

Zealot rush, to hell with Zerglings! Seriously though, back when me and my friend played SC on the 64, I could mass Zealots faster than he could Zerglings, he just refused to buy more than one hatchery... So anyways, we should probably go back to regular tactics, and ignore video games altogether.

ToxicShock

(And Reputation Manager)
Staff member
Administrator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Well it all depends on terrain, attacking-defending, your own numbers, the enemies, and both sides equipment/weaponry/training/ maybe even allies, what have you.
That really determines the level of tactic one could use, from civil war, to guerilla warfare, to terrorist acts. Just whatever degree you decide is fair when you're the underdog.

Nunu

Despot
Former Admin
Reputation score

if you didn't win then your not using enough conscripts.

lurker

Hentai Master
Reputation score

if you didn't win then your not using enough conscripts.
Conscript=Zergling

but agreed, if you got your opponent with a mass of artilary on a hill, come in with air units.

Oh, and quotes that fit:

"Hmm, tower defense... No, that's a stupid idea. Would never work."

Incubus

Horn Dog
Reputation score

Personally, I favour a defensive style.

Create an strong defence, and let the enemy wear themselves upon it. Wait until they reveal a weakness, and then strike at it.

I favour supporting a defensible position with units skilled at stealth sent out to ambush enemy supply lines, strike at soft targets and retreat before enemy reinforcements can arrive. Wear down enemy morale.

When your enemy's spirits are broken, then is the time to strike back.

ToxicShock

(And Reputation Manager)
Staff member
Administrator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

preemptive nuclear strike

(what to do when an assailant comes at you armed with a banana)

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Air assets are an awesome sight to behold. They truly are. Towers are useful as well. We use em still.

Also remember, that you can not focus too much on one tactic or element of your army. It'll give the enemy something to focus on. Too defensive, you'll be slowly crushed as you are giving the enemy total domination of everything around you. Too offensive, you'll be over run because you have no defense.

Stealth is a great thing, but what if they have no noticeable supplies? Eg. The Taliban. Stealth is still useful but you can't take out their supply routes as easily because of the way they operate.

Caulder

RP Moderator
Reputation score

I just use my most unorthodox tactic and catch them off guard. HARVESTER RUSH! Seriously. 30 harvesters can do some serious damage if they aren't prepared. As the harvesters are wreaking havoc, I build my army of mammoths with their rail guns and flatten that fool! MWAHAHAHAHA!

Sorry. Got a little crazy. But, in all honesty, I prefer to confuse my enemy. An attack on 5 fronts, with each threatening his base, is pretty hard to counter. And while he's busy countering my ground assault. Mow over his base with the airstrikes

ToxicShock

(And Reputation Manager)
Staff member
Administrator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Apparently, the US is just really poor in military intelligence, spies and whatnot, especially nowhere as good as Israel. It's harder for us to infiltrate organizations of any type. The game is as much where you're hitting as how hard you're hitting, sometimes even more important. So yes, stealth is an incredible asset.

*edit* ya'll know we brought up rts's as a joke right, we're discussing real life.

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score

Hold on now, spies are the CIA not military inteligence. I mean why give the military inteligence a worse name than they already have.

Wait I thought RTS's were real life, are you trying to tell me Kane isn't real.

Caulder

RP Moderator
Reputation score

Kane LIVES! He also has a badass eye-patch

ToxicShock

(And Reputation Manager)
Staff member
Administrator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

I actually liked Seth, which I always liken to Steve Buscemi. And I didn't mean the actual group of military intelligence. I meant it as anyone who gathers intelligence against an enemy, which would range from spies to a trooper with binoculars. I was just trying to use it as a vague term

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

One thing that's never really displayed in RTS's or thought about in tactics. The skill, integrity and general calmness of the individual soldier. I've seen some panic at a rocket going over head, others keep a cool head through a fire fight as a bullet strikes the wall next to their head. Tactics and plans can be thrown out the window by the actions of someone on the ground. Bravery and cowardice all play their roles in the outcome of a conflict.

lurker

Hentai Master
Reputation score

Ah yes, moral. The only game I know that fits that sorta system is the Warhammer franchise. I've noticed that broken moral can be a bitch...

Incubus

Horn Dog
Reputation score

One thing that's never really displayed in RTS's or thought about in tactics. The skill, integrity and general calmness of the individual soldier. I've seen some panic at a rocket going over head, others keep a cool head through a fire fight as a bullet strikes the wall next to their head. Tactics and plans can be thrown out the window by the actions of someone on the ground. Bravery and cowardice all play their roles in the outcome of a conflict.
Well, Dawn of War is one of the few RTS games I've played that bothered with morale at all. In that, the troops effectiveness is reduced when things they don't like are happening, such as watching friendly units being destroyed. All in all, it makes a lot of things important that are much less so in most RTS games, such as morale and position holding.

EDIT: Ninja'd >>

Diagasvesle

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Morality is useless with brain control. I favor zombie soldiers commanded by non-zombied commanders who know that the zombies have no fears or cowardice about them, but still have their clever thinking ability. That is technology the military is most likely working on in secret. Probably gonna hit the black market if they use it leading to slaves in such in a very easy manner. Anyway, zombie soldiers keep rushing while commanders operate defesne and offense from the inside of a super bunker.