Votes: 24 49.0%
  • Death

Votes: 11 22.4%

• Total voters

Goldstein

Lurker
Reputation score
Re: No internet or no sex?

My vote is probably invalid, since I've never had sex. Personally, I don't see what the big deal is about it. I mean, I understand intellectually, but it's not that important to me. Would my opinion change with additional data? Maybe.

On the other hand, access to the internet provides one with easily a lifetime worth of games and information, not to mention instant news from anywhere on Earth. It's a rather more important tool and asset to me.

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

My vote is probably invalid, since I've never had sex. Personally, I don't see what the big deal is about it. I mean, I understand intellectually, but it's not that important to me. Would my opinion change with additional data? Maybe.

On the other hand, access to the internet provides one with easily a lifetime worth of games and information, not to mention instant news from anywhere on Earth. It's a rather more important tool and asset to me.
The human race is going to die...

Goldstein

Lurker
Reputation score

The human race is going to die...
Hardly. One person not having children is certainly not going to make up for hundreds having three or four or more. Look up something called Quiverfull sometime.

OP
Obeliskos

Obeliskos

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Sex is losing because of STDs and pregnancy.

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

No, one person not having sex is indeed not going to cause the slow extinction of the human race you are correct in that. I was making in a simple joke but now you want to get serious, very well.

Quiverfull is interesting, but in a way can be seen as irresponsible. If the families are not set or prepared to be raising children then this can be very unhealthy for the child, and in the long run for the parent(s) as well.

Also, you talk of sex and data as if sex is a purely logical element, when it can be argued that sex is the opposite of logic. Emotion, passion, pleasure, lust, feelings all jumbled into a large ball and knocked around inside the skull. So you can't just sit back and really analyze sex like you would a atom, or how a tree grows. Sure people try and pump out papers and books on it, but really, it doesn't explain a thing.

Also, you access to games and information is no where near as important as real life experience, another reason I voted no internet rather than no sex. Information is all fine and dandy, but what are you going to do with it if you really don't have any experience. Besides, you are getting that information from another source, so second hand at best which has to be sifted through to ensure its even trust. There is plenty of false information on this wondrous world wide web.

Communication, something people love the internet for, and while yes it is helpful, it just does not compare to interaction with live human beings. I am not talking about Xbox live either before someone brings that up in an attempt at humour. Now, people may argue that they are shy or even afraid of talking with someone outside the internet, but hiding away and not developing the social skills that could be quite an asset later on in life, especially when looking for a career. People skills can greatly assist one in getting along well in life, more so than knowing the rules of the internet off by heart or even the best place to get hentai (though that information could make for some enjoyable moments, before someone brings that point up).

Also, STDs and pregnancies are issues that can be avoided easily. Knowing your partners sexual history, condoms, birth control. There are all forms of ways to prevent these issues. Besides, pregnancy is not always something to be feared, sometimes it should be welcomed. Having a baby can be a most beautiful thing, and raising a child something very worthwhile.

Last edited:

Goldstein

Lurker
Reputation score

Right.

Sex and data was somewhat tongue in cheek. However, certainly it has quite a lot to do with emotion, but ultimately sex, like any other behavior, can easily be explained and analyzed. Any behavior is rooted in the biology of the animal and as such can be explained. There's nothing mystical or supernatural about sex. We do it both because it feels good and because it's been programmed into ourselves to reproduce, it feels good because that was an easy way to ensure that creatures would keep doing it and therefore keep reproducing. Yes, it involved a lot of emotional qualities, but even these can be explained by studying our brain chemistry.

Yes, I admit that experience can be better than second- or third- hand information, but at the same time you can't really ignore the fact that there is quite a bit of information available online from primary sources. Many, many scientific research papers and journals, for example, are being reproduced online.

Yes, communication is an important part of socialization and of success in life. I never argued otherwise. Sex is not (necessarily) equal to communication, and certainly not the type of communication you meant.

Now, with that said, I am playing the devil's advocate a bit, and my original post wasn't entirely serious. But, this is enjoyable.

OP
Obeliskos

Obeliskos

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Also, STDs and pregnancies are issues that can be avoided easily. Knowing your partners sexual history, condoms, birth control. There are all forms of ways to prevent these issues. Besides, pregnancy is not always something to be feared, sometimes it should be welcomed. Having a baby can be a most beautiful thing, and raising a child something very worthwhile.
Well alright then.

Sex is losing because people here are nerds and virgins that know they'll never get laid and won't bother.

Not much better is it? And yes, I included myself in that demographic.

DarkFire1004

Tentacle Goddess of the H-Section
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reputation score

Sex is losing because Japan is making fem-bots.

Kusanagi

Chief Nippleseer
Reputation score

Having had time to reflect on my thoughts, I must retract my previous conclusion; I do believe I would choose no internet over no sex.

I have come to this conclusion because after thinking about it, I have realized that it is the desire to have sex that attracts me to the women I am attracted to. Without the urge for sex, my feelings are simply that of a friend. Even without the internet, I have plenty of friends offline; what I am looking for is somebody to, well, fuck, for lack of a sophistimacated way of saying it.
Sure, you can look at it logically, and say 'oh, his chemicals are telling him to procreate, yadayadayada,' but I am looking for a bond with somebody that goes deeper than that of simply a friend.
. . . possibly with multiple women.
Hey, polygamy is fine by me, so long as all partners involved are okay with it. i.e., don't have multiple wives/husbands, and expect them to not want the same.

Alias

Lurker
Reputation score

Right.

Sex and data was somewhat tongue in cheek. However, certainly it has quite a lot to do with emotion, but ultimately sex, like any other behavior, can easily be explained and analyzed. Any behavior is rooted in the biology of the animal and as such can be explained. There's nothing mystical or supernatural about sex. We do it both because it feels good and because it's been programmed into ourselves to reproduce, it feels good because that was an easy way to ensure that creatures would keep doing it and therefore keep reproducing. Yes, it involved a lot of emotional qualities, but even these can be explained by studying our brain chemistry.

Yes, I admit that experience can be better than second- or third- hand information, but at the same time you can't really ignore the fact that there is quite a bit of information available online from primary sources. Many, many scientific research papers and journals, for example, are being reproduced online.

Yes, communication is an important part of socialization and of success in life. I never argued otherwise. Sex is not (necessarily) equal to communication, and certainly not the type of communication you meant.

Now, with that said, I am playing the devil's advocate a bit, and my original post wasn't entirely serious. But, this is enjoyable.
I actually hate to pull this card, but you really can't expect your opinion to be taken seriously if you make a disclaimer like that. It's just like anything else... you have to have all the information about both sides of the argument before being able to make an informed decision. Reading all the scientific information out there does not substitute real life experience.

Logically, I understand that my desire for sex is a simple genetic imperative to procreate. I understand that anything I might feel during said act is merely the result of chemicals mixing in my brain, and that there's nothing transcendent or mystical about it.

But none of that matters. Whatever I'm doing with my partner, it becomes something memorable just because we're sharing something so intimate between us. No amount of words can describe the emotions that run through you when you connect on that level with another human being.

tldr: find someone you love and want to spend the rest of your life with before choosing abstinence over electronics.

wallpaper

Lurker
Reputation score

Sure, you can look at it logically, and say 'oh, his chemicals are telling him to procreate, yadayadayada,' but I am looking for a bond with somebody that goes deeper than that of simply a friend.
. . . possibly with multiple women.
Hey, polygamy is fine by me, so long as all partners involved are okay with it. i.e., don't have multiple wives/husbands, and expect them to not want the same.
Also, see polyamory if you're interested in that stuff. The dating/sexual relationships of more than two people out in the open, sometimes with a pair of 'primary' partners and a 'secondary' or 'secondaries' (though those terms are debatable in their quality) and sometimes three+ folks who are in on it together -- exponentially more difficult with each new person as far as I've read. XD

tldr: find someone you love and want to spend the rest of your life with before choosing abstinence over electronics.
Hey now, who says that one is more important than the other? I have friends who are already having kids and loving it, and those who never want a stable relationship (let alone to spawn) who are quite happy with where they want to be. If someone would rather go the route of abstinence then who are we to say that they're making a bad choice? What you're saying is like telling someone who's gay that they should sleep with someone of the opposite gender before they decide to like only their own, or before they're taken seriously by straight people. :p (Oh man, that's gonna get me flamed, ain't it?)

Goldstein

Lurker
Reputation score

Ah, but I never said that I am, in reality, choosing abstinence. I simply said that sex doesn't interest me right now, which is true, and that I'm not really trying for it right now. I'd rather focus on education, and concern myself with sex later on. Yes, I know that's a bit of a false dichotomy, but so be it.

Now, with that said, yes, I think sex is overrated. I get that you connect with another person, or that you have this amazingly deep experience with them, or whatever. But it really doesn't seem that interesting to me. I guess I'm a bit of a misanthrope, and I'm not really interested in having that sort of a relationship with someone.

ToxicShock

(And Reputation Manager)
Staff member
Administrator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Ah, but I never said that I am, in reality, choosing abstinence. I simply said that sex doesn't interest me right now, which is true, and that I'm not really trying for it right now. I'd rather focus on education, and concern myself with sex later on. Yes, I know that's a bit of a false dichotomy, but so be it.

Now, with that said, yes, I think sex is overrated. I get that you connect with another person, or that you have this amazingly deep experience with them, or whatever. But it really doesn't seem that interesting to me. I guess I'm a bit of a misanthrope, and I'm not really interested in having that sort of a relationship with someone.
FAMILY!!
Brothers don't shake hands, brothers gotta hug!

Alias

Lurker
Reputation score

Hey now, who says that one is more important than the other? I have friends who are already having kids and loving it, and those who never want a stable relationship (let alone to spawn) who are quite happy with where they want to be. If someone would rather go the route of abstinence then who are we to say that they're making a bad choice? What you're saying is like telling someone who's gay that they should sleep with someone of the opposite gender before they decide to like only their own, or before they're taken seriously by straight people. :p (Oh man, that's gonna get me flamed, ain't it?)
mm.... actually you make a good point. But most homosexual people don't go running around telling people they will NEVER sleep with someone of the opposite gender.... this is a case of extremes which sort of makes it silly to compare with real-life situations. Obviously none of us are ever going to be banned from one or the other for the rest of our lives, assuming none of us are going to be shao-lin monks or eunuchs or something. So my post is a bit silly, too. In fact, the whole thread is pretty silly. =P

hmm. I'm going to try to say this without sounding judgemental or snooty. It'll probably come out that way though, so please bear with me and know that's not my intention =(
Your lifestyle is your lifestyle. I'm not here to judge. I didn't start having sex until after my majority, and I didn't even get my drivers' license until age 20. So I really have no place in telling others when they should do stuff in their lives. All I'm trying to get across is, don't completely shut yourself off from the idea until you've at least attempted it. Because, I think (and you might think something completely different, and that's ok!) that you don't really have the ability to get it until you've experienced. And I mostly say this because I used to be in the same frame of mind... until I experienced it. I guess you remind me a bit of me when I was a little younger. =)

FAMILY!!
Brothers don't shake hands, brothers gotta hug!
I... don't even get this. Is this an incest joke? :-[ <~~ embarrassed face

Goldstein

Lurker
Reputation score

Your lifestyle is your lifestyle. I'm not here to judge. I didn't start having sex until after my majority, and I didn't even get my drivers' license until age 20. So I really have no place in telling others when they should do stuff in their lives. All I'm trying to get across is, don't completely shut yourself off from the idea until you've at least attempted it. Because, I think (and you might think something completely different, and that's ok!) that you don't really have the ability to get it until you've experienced. And I mostly say this because I used to be in the same frame of mind... until I experienced it. I guess you remind me a bit of me when I was a little younger. =)
Certainly, thank you for your concern. Again, I'm not discounting the idea, I'm just saying I'm apathetic towards it. If it happens, it does, but it's not something that I'm going to be seeking out, and certainly not any time soon.

I would argue with you idea that "you don't really have the ability to get it until you've experienced", but you've already acknowledged that we have a difference of opinion there.

Alias

Lurker
Reputation score

Any particular reason why? You've piqued my curiosity. (I get curious about anything I don't understand)

wallpaper

Lurker
Reputation score

I... don't even get this. Is this an incest joke? :-[ <~~ embarrassed face
Toxic's opinions seem (at least from what I've seen) to be fairly similar to Goldstein's, so he's "hollering" up in the "hizouse" to a "homie". :D