What's new

Old Stuff to be archived

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score
Re: Escape from Dracholt (Sinfulwolf)

As she ran, she felt the blood on the blade crawl up the ancient steel, and over the guards before sliding across her hand and absorbing into her skin. For a moment her chest flared in pain and she faltered ever so briefly as cracked ribs reknit themselves, reducing the pain from the beating she had taken.

Gasping, she continued down the long tunnel until coming to the final room, and glanced around at the stacked boxes. Meaghan took a quick glance behind her to see if the beast was near, before taking a deep breath and ascending the ladder, leaving her old sword behind so she could sheathe Lifedrinker in its old scabbard.

"Fuck this better be it," she muttered angrily.

OAMP

Turtle Poker
Reputation score
Re: The Village of the Wayward Lambs (Pale, Oamp)

"Uhhh, okay..." She was still a bit dazed, though the last was wearing off now. Celine quickened her pace at the oracle's mention that the woman may be violent if or when she woke up. "Eh, yeah, I guess we're all okay. Everyone's wandering around not quite sure what happened, and I'm not feeling so hot either..."

The elf bent over the captive too, looking over both her wounds, and the oracle's. "We can use strips from my clothes, either for bandages, or bindings, if we HAVE too..." She didn't sound too enthusiastic about what she was getting involved in, but she knew if someone didn't do something, the day's ominous events would no doubt get worse, and perhaps follow her beyond the village.

Farren

Cthulhu
RP Moderator
Reputation score
Re: An Ancient Compact (Farren, Gargantuablarg, Copper)

Should worse come to worse, Nae was much more sure that she wouldn't be able to avoid injury. She wasn't a fighter, at least she didn't like to fight and she hadn't really trained much. It wasn't an outcome worth dwelling on right now. She and Keti were going to clear this mess up, in the mean time she just had to pay attention to what was going on around her. As long as nobody had any silly ideas then this would all be fine come tomorrow.

Altair seemed genuinely interested in looking out for them, at least from what she could tell. He had been given plenty of options to leave them in that conversation alone, yet he choose not to. She wanted to trust his intentions fully, and any other day she might well have done so, but considering the mess they were already in, she forced herself to be more alert than she would normally be.

"I didn't get the impression she was hiding anything, at least not from what was asked. I agree that we need to find some lead before we can stand our ground on this accusation." Nae adds after listening to Altair on his return, "I guess the militiaman might know something more, at least about what Norris and his partner should have been doing."

The female Siren shifted a little awkwardly, moving a hand to gently brush Keti's arm, needing some reassurance herself. "If we do have to talk to the fisherman... I want to go too. I know why the school is doing what they are, but I know its making people suffer here."

Caulder

Is completely fucking irrelevant. And he's a bitch
RP Moderator
Reputation score
Re: Baptism by Fire (Occam, Squid, Kathy)

After the harpy that he had been shooting at had fallen, Drago, looks over at the fleeing harpy, noticing Kriia chasing it, he himself chasing after him before his sister-in-law takes him down. "Excellent shooting, sister!" he practically yells, a smile on his face as he looks down below, seeing the other harpies scattering as he takes aim at one of them. "Should we engage the rest of them? Or head back to the nest and tend to the wounded?" he asks, noting Kriia's arrow wound.

GargantuaBlarg

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Nae's touch brought to Keti's attention how hard he was squeezing her arm. Shooting her an apologetic look, he relaxed his grip, trying to calm down. Now that Atair was back, it was unlikely the guards would try anything, anyway.

Chibichibi

Big Sis
Reputation score
Re: The Ill-Portented Expedition (crossgrave, blueslime, chibi)

Soren hissed in pain but sent two blasts of light at the creature in front of him again. And again, should the first hit take care of the beast he sent his second shot at the Vampyre,

((two light attacks at Rel5/one at vampire if Rel5 is destroyed by the first blow.... again. ))

Kathy

Lurker
Reputation score
Re: Rise of the Accursed OOC thread(interest check)

I'm aware some of you can't make it on every day for various reasons and generally, I'm aware of you. Pale and Kathy, for example, are people whom I know cannot presently get on every single day, yet I know are still interested in the game, and likewise I'm aware that crossgrave was/is away from computer access and have taken that into account.
This is a major reason why RP forums are one of my first goals when I come online, before I get into reading webcomics and playing flash games and all that other stuff I usually do. I realize that other people are waiting for me, and that my participation is vital to the continued play, not just for my enjoyment and the GM, but for everyone in my thread.

Patch note: I've adjusted Support Magic as used by the wands. I realised that I've not specified a range yet so that's been adjusted.

Support Magic, unlike offensive, is also ranged, rather than reach, meaning you don't want to be using it if someone is in melee range of you.

This patch will apply at all future combats, but not effect the one in progress outside of the range restriction now in place.

I've also split reach into soft reach and hard reach. Hard reach counts as being in melee for the purposes of disrupting the use of ranged attacks, soft reach does not. I will come up with a better term for soft reach in the future. For more info on reach and ranged rules, see the rules and game mechanics thread.
Hard and Soft reach are confusing and I don't understand what the implied difference is... Aside from that, does this mean that if (for example) Flow is behind an aly (adjacent) and an enemy is on the other side (not adjacent) she can buff the ally still? Since technically her target is adjacent... >.> Or is reach only limited when an enemy's adjacent?

Also, will Spear/Whips/Etc reach affect if we're in an enemy's influence area? (I assume that rival spellcasters/archers won't be limited by being in each other's range...)

Also, while on the topic of patching. What exactly will a grapple affect? Does it limit combat? Does current HP come into consideration at all (if I injure an enemy, then grapple them, do I gain a bonus)? Will there be any measures taken to prevent the superior-grapple-ends-combat situation that often occurs when grappling becomes a direct one on one situation?

OP
Incubus

Incubus

Horn Dog
Reputation score

Hard and Soft reach are confusing and I don't understand what the implied difference is... Aside from that, does this mean that if (for example) Flow is behind an aly (adjacent) and an enemy is on the other side (not adjacent) she can buff the ally still? Since technically her target is adjacent... >.> Or is reach only limited when an enemy's adjacent?
Only enemies affect ranged. As for Soft/Hard reach, soft reach is basically a ranged attack which can be fired even when one is in melee. Hard reach is a melee attack with a greater reach than adjacent, which means that weapons with hard reach extend a greater area for supressing enemy ranged attacks and support magic.

Also, will Spear/Whips/Etc reach affect if we're in an enemy's influence area? (I assume that rival spellcasters/archers won't be limited by being in each other's range...)
I think my previous may have answered this. Yes @ spears and whips, no @ spellcasters (who primarily have soft reach) and definitely no @ archers.

Also, while on the topic of patching. What exactly will a grapple affect? Does it limit combat? Does current HP come into consideration at all (if I injure an enemy, then grapple them, do I gain a bonus)? Will there be any measures taken to prevent the superior-grapple-ends-combat situation that often occurs when grappling becomes a direct one on one situation?
When grappled, one is unable to take any actions until one escapes from the grapple. However, one escaping a grapple can spend extra AP to gain an added bonus at the cost of their ability to take other actions, preventing a grapple from being an absolute locking. Those doing the grappling are arble to make unarmed attacks. I will ammend this much to the rules as it's not mentioned.

OP
Incubus

Incubus

Horn Dog
Reputation score
Re: The Village of the Wayward Lambs (Pale, Oamp)

Before long, the pair had bound the creature, binding her as the oracle saw necessary; tearing strips of cloth from her robe to bind her wrists and ankles Compared to the process of disarming, this went much easier, although ‘Auricael’ continued to make the odd soft groan as she was handled. With that done, Alazais could finally see about tending to her wounds, a combination of cloth bindings and water magic saw her make a passable recovery; while she would still be sore for a while, she’d survive, her wounds healing at a rapid rate.

With that done, the question now was what to do with her prisoner. It wouldn’t be long until someone else came to investigate this hall; the fact that it seemed to be seldom used largely the only reason no one had come by now. The people needed answers and at present there were only questions, but at least it had sounded like this village was only under threat from the one creature, now subdued.

OP
Incubus

Incubus

Horn Dog
Reputation score
Re: Escape from Dracholt (Sinfulwolf)

Pushing open the trapdoor at the top of the ladder, the dim, murky light of outside filtered down into the hole. Judging by the dark clouds overhead, only allowing through the dimmest of light; she was outside, which was a start. Looking around, she also seemed to be out of the city, the tunnel seemed to come out nestled between a number of small hills. There was no distinctive markings about anywhere, making this entrance rather difficult to locate, nor was there any sign of any scouts or the like. Over one of the hills, she could see the walls of Dracholt, perhaps still too close, but she was out.

The sounds of pursuit had long since died off, but the trail was hardly difficult to follow at this stage, so moving onwards seemed wise, as much as fatigue was beginning to set in. At least making her way to the Lamian Principalities wouldn't be difficult, even more here she could see the mountain range to the west, which she knew they lay just beyond.

Kathy

Lurker
Reputation score

When grappled, one is unable to take any actions until one escapes from the grapple. However, one escaping a grapple can spend extra AP to gain an added bonus at the cost of their ability to take other actions, preventing a grapple from being an absolute locking. Those doing the grappling are arble to make unarmed attacks. I will ammend this much to the rules as it's not mentioned.
Question about HP/injury affecting grapple remains unanswered.

Although ouch @ grapple locking system. The way grapple-lock worked was never that you can't break a lot, it was that when you *DID* break a lock, the enemy could re-initiate, and since grapplers usually/always had superior scores for it, you can almost consider the fight over. You spend your entire AP to break grapple, and they simply re-grapple you on their turn for 4ap.

Can I suggest borrowing from an old AD&D 2nd Edition rule? (probably exists in 3rd/4th, but I'm less familiar with them.) When attempting to initiate a grapple, targets subjected themselves to an attack of opportunity. Doing this will make repeated re-grapples every turn sound less reasonable to enemies, as every time a PC breaks a grapple and they try to force one again, it gives us a free attack with whatever melee weapon we have equipped.

OP
Incubus

Incubus

Horn Dog
Reputation score

I really don't want to bring in AoO rules, they're messy and slow down combat.

HP/injuries does nothing for grapples.

Ultimately with the way stats scale, it's very unlikely you'll come across an enemy who's body score so heavily outweights your own that grapples will be ridiculous like they can appear in D&D. So far every enemy I've written out has had a body score of between 6 and 10. Between reasonable stats and reasonable enemies (trust me to not have an enemy try to grapple a character in a one on one fight every turn) I don't forsee a big problem.

OP
Incubus

Incubus

Horn Dog
Reputation score

To say that the confrontation with the member of the militia was tense would be an understatement. Not that the group were after such a confrontation, but as they moved towards the member of the watch, the number of people from the watch who were watching them increased noticably. The man himself showed a combination of fear and anger towards them, obviously much less approachable than Moyra had been. "Yes?" he says flatly, clearly not in a friendly mood.

Copper

Lurker
Reputation score

Still, Atair does his best to keep his posture casual, his demeanor pleasant enough. "I'll spare the preamble, Sirrah. I know you were in the crowd, so I know you heard a good deal of the exchange already." The nekomata pauses, considering what he might ask, especially not wanting to aggrivate the man further than he already seemed to be. "You...look similar to another they believe to have seen near Keti's home, with Norris. He claims to have been alone, but it's possible he didn't see another following him." The statement comes out in more of a questioning tone than a statement. "Out of concern, perhaps, as to why he might have reason to leave his post?"

Last edited:

Kathy

Lurker
Reputation score

I really don't want to bring in AoO rules, they're messy and slow down combat.

HP/injuries does nothing for grapples.

Ultimately with the way stats scale, it's very unlikely you'll come across an enemy who's body score so heavily outweights your own that grapples will be ridiculous like they can appear in D&D. So far every enemy I've written out has had a body score of between 6 and 10. Between reasonable stats and reasonable enemies (trust me to not have an enemy try to grapple a character in a one on one fight every turn) I don't forsee a big problem.
Actually the HP/Injury effect was something I was hoping to add on the players' behalf, for easily capturing enemies (such as the harpy that Flow had beaten down on).

As for the AoO, I trust in your ability, but players can abuse it just as badly if given the opportunity. And even a 6 to 10 difference is massive when taking many rolls into account. I was purely suggesting AoO for this one situation, and to have the rule available for in the event of future situations that prove to be difficult to deal with. (Notedly, this would also allow ranged weapons to be used at close range, if a player was willing to suffer the penalty. Such as support spellcasting, and possibly other special skills we'd obtain later on.)

On an unrelated issue, is money going to play a part in this RP at any point? Items to purchase or use? Weapons to buy or sell (or trade)? If so, I think Flow is about to obtain our spear friend's lost weapon for her collection.

Additionally, can one wield untrained weapons at all? Or does being untrained exclude that?

OP
Incubus

Incubus

Horn Dog
Reputation score

On an unrelated issue, is money going to play a part in this RP at any point? Items to purchase or use? Weapons to buy or sell (or trade)? If so, I think Flow is about to obtain our spear friend's lost weapon for her collection.
Basically no. Ultimately those with a magical weapon are unlikely to trade it for money, although exchanging one for another is possible. The PCs are assumed to have enough wealth at all times to make mundane purchases, so retriving said spear would mean little unless you wanted a spear, or thought it might be a magical/special one.

Additionally, can one wield untrained weapons at all? Or does being untrained exclude that?
Yeah, you can, but you do so at a penalty for non-proficiency and of course, cannot use any of the special skills/abilities/attacks they may have.

As far as grapples, if a PC wants to try to lockdown a foe by constantly grappling them, by all means go right ahead. There have been very few one on one fights, most fights thus far have involved larger groups of weaker enemies rather than a few strong ones, making that kind of lockdown a less valid tactic. If one does end up in such a one on one fight against someone they can out grapple, by all means use it to your advantage.

Farren

Cthulhu
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Nae made sure to stay a little back from Altair when they approached the militia member, though she made sure that she was the closest of the pair of Sirens to him. If he wanted to argue with either of them it would be with her, she wouldn't have the man picking on Keti. She wasn't blind to the increased attention from the other elves either, her own posture no doubt growing more confrontational as she spread her wings. Much like the elves would protect their own she would do the same.

She was glad they had Altair to act as a mediator at this point, the Nekomata seemed to have his head about him. Nae wasn't sure she could manage the same with everything else she had to worry about right now.

GargantuaBlarg

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Keti stood at Nae's side, his eyes roaming the gathering while her wing stretched out behind him. After a short survey of the other militiamen and villagers nearby, he rested his gaze on the dark-haired man they came to speak with, trying to see if there was anything on the man that he might recognize, unlikely as it was.

OP
Incubus

Incubus

Horn Dog
Reputation score

Just a general heads up, my reply rate will likely be a little slower than it usually is; I've not been feeling too great.

So apologies for those people waiting on me and I'll get there as soon as I feel up to it.

OP
Incubus

Incubus

Horn Dog
Reputation score
Re: The Ill-Portented Expedition (crossgrave, blueslime, chibi)

((Battle Map:

The light grey squares are difficult terrain, due to the rubble. Movement there costs 1 AP for 1 square rather than the usual. You can still get 1 free square of movement. The dark grey is impassible. And the square the vampire is in is elevated, melee attacks cannot strike it.
Code:
              HP      WP     SP   Effects
Satuma      20/24   16/16   6/6
Azalia	    28/28   17/17   8/8
Soren       26/28   17/17   8/8
Turn Order:
28 - Nath
24 - Soren
15 - Fel Spirits
14 - Satuma
12 - Prof. Jontus
12 - Goron
12 - Vampyre
10 - Azalia
You know the drill by now))

------------

((Ugh, hate to do this especially as it sets a lazy precident, but 10 minutes into the update my headache is back with a vengeance and I want to slink back to bed right now. If someone likes, they can write up the round proper and I'll edit it in, but I'm cutting corners so I can go lay down without postponing this update another day.))

Nath attacks Fel 5, kills it, Fel 6, hits.
Soren 2 attacks at the vamp, 1 hit.
Fel spirits attack, 1 bite on Satuma (4 damage)
Satuma 2 attacks on Fel4, both hit.
Jontus blasts Vampyre
Goron shifts out, attacks Fel4, hits.
Vampyre shoots at Jontus, hits.
Azalia heals Satuma 10 hp