What's new

Random movie talky stuff.

Obsidious

Evard's Tentacles of Forced Intrusion
Reputation score
Re: Random movie talky stuff.

From what I've read, it's a solid remake. Bruce Campbell is behind it, Sam Rami is behind it, and everybody who's seen preview footage loves it. So go ahead and hate it on principal, I guess, but I'll probably be watching it at some point.
People watching the previews are at fault for the allegedly "improved" ending of I am Legend. And they all love Twilight. So...
I only liked the comical approach of the second movie more than the original.
I will probably still give the remake a chance, though I don't expect much.

Also I am quite interested in Robot & Frank. It's about a robot (duh!) butler given to an old man by his son. The old man being a former master thief however soon manages to find some use for the machine.
Might be worth a shot...

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

I for one am interested in seeing what they can do with the remake of Evil Dead. Sam Raimi and Bruce Campbell, and the hero is female this time (not many of those, and I'm still afraid she'll let me down). The trailer looked pretty good, and I'm going to give it a shot (the 2004 Dawn of the Dead is still one of my faves out there, and John Carpenter's The Thing is truly amazing over the original).

But there still is originality out there... just no body goes to watch those movies, or goes to look for them. So they don't get made in the big budget. Just sayin.

super_slicer

Lord High Inquisitor
Staff member
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

I must disagree, the original The Thing tops the prequel by far. Sure the special effects are nothing near today's capabilities, but they've held up comparably well, that tentacle dog is still creepy as fuck. Besides, a 'dead animal' scientist can't possibly hope to beat out the awesomely bearded Kurt Russell.

Last edited:

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

I must disagree, the original The Thing tops the prequel by far. Sure the special effects are nothing near today's capabilities, but they've held up comparably well, that tentacle dog is still creepy as fuck. Besides, a 'dead thing' scientest can't possibly hope to beat out the awesomely bearded Kurt Russell.
is better than ?

I mean you are due your opinion... but I wasn't even talking about the prequel, as that is a prequel to the remake. John Carpenter's version is the remake.

super_slicer

Lord High Inquisitor
Staff member
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Haha, much confusion over what you said. Though they're based off the same material ( in case anyone's interested) the B&W movie is much further removed from it than John Carpenter's, so I end up forgetting that it's viewed as the predecessor.

Lurker
Reputation score

Do you remember and Apparently those were just to get people's attention, and apparently no one in hollywood cares. So the folks behind The Goon put together , but it seems to have stalled out.

I think maybe we got enough interested parties with significantly varied interests that maybe the word can get to people that can help.

Rule 34

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

So I caught a trailer for , and I've gotta say that it does look different (read: better) than most of the standard zombie fare out there. Especially the way they show the zombies moving almost like a tidal wave is pretty fucking awesome.

SirOni

Demon Girls #1 Fan
Reputation score

Yeah, I'm already set for hating it because it's going to be nothing like the book going by the trailer.

Lurker
Reputation score

Saw The Man with the Iron Fists the other day. If you were interested by any of the promotional material you'll probably enjoy it. If you saw the trailer and went "meh", give it a pass or wait for it on cable.

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

I'm conflicted when it comes to World War Z the movie. On its own, its looks like a pretty damn good, and enjoyable zombie film. As an adaptation... looks like they threw all of what the book so good out the damn window.

Still, I'll watch it, and more than likely enjoy it for what it will be. But damn... could have had an amazing movie if they stuck with the book's style.

picklejones

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

I'm conflicted when it comes to World War Z the movie. On its own, its looks like a pretty damn good, and enjoyable zombie film. As an adaptation... looks like they threw all of what the book so good out the damn window.

Still, I'll watch it, and more than likely enjoy it for what it will be. But damn... could have had an amazing movie if they stuck with the book's style.
I haven't read the book myself but from the trailer it looks okay. You know it's gonna be a hollywood knock out the park with Brad Pitt as the main actor. Actually the trailer doesn't give much away at all. I like how the zombies kind of climb all over each other.

lurker

Hentai Master
Reputation score

So. Rise of the Guardians. In 3-D.

First off, basic plot: In the background of the world, the creatures of the myths and legends we all know do exist, and a select few are selected (by the Man in the Moon) to keep watch and ensure the children of the world are safe and sound. These souls are refereed to as the Guardians, naturally. Meanwhile, the story focuses on not only the Guardians (A Russian, ice sculpting Santa Claus with Naughty/Nice gunboat tattoos/a mute, short, surprisingly ass-kicking Sandman/gratuitously Aussie Easter Bunny (by gratuitous I mean he freakin does a 'you call that a knife' reference)/surprisingly normal, if tooth-obsessed Tooth Fairy and a army of humming-bird-fairies), though the story mostly takes the perspective of Jack Frost - who in this story has spent 300 years essentially isolated and unbelieved in by practically everyone. The villain is in a similar boat, who to avoid too many spoilers I'll refer to his less giveaway name, Pitch, and during the course of the film breaks forth a Xanotos Gambit to rid of the Guardians once and for all so he can bring nightmares and terror back to the globe.

The plot is very well written, and while admittedly ya spend a good chunk of time in the North Pole in the film, the pace keeps going without dragging out, and there's quite a few moments of awesome, sad, and feel-good placed right where they should be, and with the focus on neutral party Jack Frost, the story keeps unique and doesn't bog itself down too much. While admittedly you can probably see a few twists coming as a adult audience a decent clip away, it does a good job trying to hide what will happen.

The 3-D effects I personally have to give the developers credit for. There's nothing too obnoxious or out of picture with the effects, and half the time you can't even tell they're there except the most subtlest of things, which is much better in my opinion then several out-of-the-frame gratuity shots like you see in a lot of 3-D movies.

My opinion is you definitely want to see this one, if not at least check it out when it hits the shelves eventually. It's a good piece of writing and very well done for a not-so-holiday-holiday-movie.

Copper

Lurker
Reputation score

That one is on the list to see, though might have to wait. Stupid dollar theater closing down...

Still being trumped by Les Mis, though. Hopefully, we can get tix Christmas morning.

Tassadar

Panda King
RP Moderator
Reputation score

The Hobbit was good. How they've separated it out for three movies actually works extremely well and allows for a lot of things that improve the story (and some things that don't, but still.) Also, Thorin is Raditz. I will give +reps to all who get that reference without having it explained to them.

Alias

Lurker
Reputation score

I might turn gay for Kili.

Those of you that haven't seen the Hobbit, go see it! Even if you're a hardcore fan of the books. I read the book just before I went to go see it and they only made one change that actually bothered me:

The troll scene. Bilbo gets plenty of chances to shine later on, even in the same movie. They didn't need to show him as bright and helpful to the party that early on. It really diminishes one of Gandalf's defining moments as a character.

super_slicer

Lord High Inquisitor
Staff member
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

I must agree, the first hobbit movie is excellent and washed away all my fears of the upcoming trilogy's shortcomings.

Also, saw a trailer for: and I must say, FUCK YES. I'm a mechafag, always have been and always will be, and this looks like pure fucking awesome. I don't care if the plot's terrible, I don't care if the acting is awfull, it's a live-action movie with giant mechs. And remember kiddies, if it does well, we could get more.

Nunu

Despot
Former Admin
Reputation score

Yes but it just seems a bad idea to make GLaDOS the computer that runs the robots...

Minerve

Tentacle God
Reputation score

I must agree, the first hobbit movie is excellent and washed away all my fears of the upcoming trilogy's shortcomings.
Though I liked very much the LotR trilogy as movies, every time I hear about Jackson's work, I see Tolkien's grave...

Otherwise, is that me or... I feel lonely: who has seen ? Just for example.

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Watched the Hobbit tonight, and came out very pleased with it. Maybe because I just love the fantasy genre, and not enough good films get released in it.

When I saw the small snippets of Smaug though, he was not blue. The lighting in the scene though, and the way it reflects off his scales does make it appear as if he is.

Nunu

Despot
Former Admin
Reputation score

I loved the hobbit as an adventure, you can really see how dungeons and dragons was reverse engineered from it.