What's new

ADV Patreon Active RPG Maker [Reepyr] Adventures of Tara (v0.86.D19)

OP
Reepyr

Reepyr

Sex Demon
Reputation score
Re: Adventures of Tara - English H-Game [Demo]

If this is your first game, do what seems simplest for you. These games have a way of getting really complicated really fast, so I don't think anyone will complain either way as long as its done rather bug free. Besides, people wanna see the game come out, and nothing rains on that parade like shitty switch and variable operations.

So keep doing what you do. You got potential. :cool:
Sage advice! I will push myself to make as interesting of a game that I can without complicating it so much that I create major headaches for myself. I will have an extension to the Demo out by the end of the week that will basically take Tara through the end of Day 2 in the game. More scenes and an introduction to the time management choices that will impact what happens in the game going forward.

Thanks for the compliment, I appreciate it!

alias34

Cthulhu
Reputation score

Goddamn, I'm really trying to stop being a party-pooper about things I don't like but I can't stand to see these 3D-models anymore, they are way too deep in the uncanny-valley and there's at least 4 projects here that use the same models.

Also the combination of RPG Maker and 3D-models always makes my brain melt.

hrpgheaven

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Tried it, a bit short yet very solid demo. It doesn't look like you're trying RPG Maker for the first time or translating a game in google translator.

Good luck with the project.

OP
Reepyr

Reepyr

Sex Demon
Reputation score

Goddamn, I'm really trying to stop being a party-pooper about things I don't like but I can't stand to see these 3D-models anymore, they are way too deep in the uncanny-valley and there's at least 4 projects here that use the same models.

Also the combination of RPG Maker and 3D-models always makes my brain melt.
Try harder! ;) Just kidding, sorry that you don't like this type of art but since I have absolutely zero skills at drawing anything there is no other option for me.

Sorry for melting your brain, can't feel good...

[Edit:] I hope someone works on making a game more to your liking and if you haven't already looked into it, Aylia's Story is an english game being made by YummyTiger that has good drawn art.

Tried it, a bit short yet very solid demo. It doesn't look like you're trying RPG Maker for the first time or translating a game in google translator.

Good luck with the project.
Thanks hrphheaven, I am on a roll at the moment working on an extension to the demo. Will be out soon.

Last edited:

MidnightXV

Mystic Girl
Reputation score

Very good demo. Cant wait to see more.

Wulfe

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

People like what they like... I actually prefer 3D art to drawn, as long as they're posed in a reasonably lifelike way, with some expression.

The one thing that does grind my gears a little with 3D RPG Maker projects is the disconnect between Chibi 2D assets and 3D artwork. It's so jarring.
But when I look at what Eromancer is managing to achieve with this engine and 3D art, it fills me with hope for other game developers to follow suit.

(Oh, also ghost or silhouette males. No!. Just, no!.)

torkenstiem

Tentacle God
Reputation score

I will have an extension to the Demo out by the end of the week that will basically take Tara through the end of Day 2 in the game.
awesome :)

flarglberg

Demon Girl
Reputation score

People like what they like... I actually prefer 3D art to drawn, as long as they're posed in a reasonably lifelike way, with some expression.

The one thing that does grind my gears a little with 3D RPG Maker projects is the disconnect between Chibi 2D assets and 3D artwork. It's so jarring.
But when I look at what Eromancer is managing to achieve with this engine and 3D art, it fills me with hope for other game developers to follow suit.

Lol but the underlying reasons why so many artists go that route make a lot of sense once you actually sit down and try to make the art for yourself. Glad most English games aren't going that route, but think about it: it takes a shit ton of effort to draw things that the artist wants to (e.g. boobies). After that the enthusiasm for drawing the males normally takes some will power. Besides, a ghost or silhouette has the advantage of easily reusable models.

So maybe someone's next project should be a ghost man H-RPG! It'd probably get done fast (jokesssssss).

Aquarius

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

Since I am going to have 2 main routes in the game(Sinius/trainer & Bernal/affection), would most people rather have them separate early on so that there would be two distinct playthroughs? Or have them both going on at the same time with the endings determined by which route was more focused on?
Greetings my friend.
I would definitely choose Sinius/trainer route.More dark path for pure Tara! :D

1st choice looks more simple... but i'm not sure about the second..
hmmm :confused: (after deep thinking) i think that as you create the game,you will see which option has better flow.

OP
Reepyr

Reepyr

Sex Demon
Reputation score

I have no chance at beating RPG Maker into submission like Eromancer has, but I will do what I can to spice up the game as much as I'm able.

No silhouette figures in my game! Nope, not going to do it.(although Sinius might be in his dark black robe quite a bit but he will be a real model) I completed Sinius, Bernal and Morton models the other day and made the face portraits for Sinius. Bernal's expressions will probably be in the update after the one I am working on right now. Morton doesn't have much in the way of expressions at this point but I made one anyway. :D

Lol but the underlying reasons why so many artists go that route make a lot of sense once you actually sit down and try to make the art for yourself. Glad most English games aren't going that route, but think about it: it takes a shit ton of effort to draw things that the artist wants to (e.g. boobies). After that the enthusiasm for drawing the males normally takes some will power. Besides, a ghost or silhouette has the advantage of easily reusable models.

So maybe someone's next project should be a ghost man H-RPG! It'd probably get done fast (jokesssssss).
I think some artists like to do blank or ugly male figures so it is easier for some players to imagine them self in their place instead? Like scale garden does.

Hmmm, maybe there will be a ghost somewhere in the school. Hah!

Last edited:
OP
Reepyr

Reepyr

Sex Demon
Reputation score

Greetings my friend.
I would definitely choose Sinius/trainer route.More dark path for pure Tara! :D

1st choice looks more simple... but i'm not sure about the second..
hmmm :confused: (after deep thinking) i think that as you create the game,you will see which option has better flow.
Yeah I think most players would be tempted to run the Sinius route first. My challenge would be to make the Bernal route interesting enough for people to want to go through the game again and see how it worked out. I'm still on the fence about having the route choice be early in the game or have them run together for a while. I'll figure it out in the next couple days by the time I release the extended Demo.

Been a busy day of writing/eventing(got a lot done), I'm off to get some sleep. Night all!

Wulfe

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

I have no chance at beating RPG Maker into submission like Eromancer has, but I will do what I can to spice up the game as much as I'm able.
Well you're already working on it from your changelog. You're replacing more of the portraits with 3D renderings bit by bit, and that's going to help a lot... I was never really expecting all new sprites and environments, since that seems like a crazy amount of very thankless work. :)

What you might do though, and maybe you are but I just wasn't looking for it, is try to make sure that the colour palettes in your rendered backgrounds match the ones of the 'room' that the scene takes place in.
(So, not necessarily redrawing everything in the room, just matching the general atmosphere of the colour and lighting)

I think some artists like to do blank or ugly male figures so it is easier for some players to imagine them self in their place instead?
I think that's the reasoning, but I'm not convinced. I find it almost impossible to 'project' myself onto an indistinct black silhouette. It might as well be an alien in that regard... If it has a penis, human proportions, and a somewhat natural looking skin tone, I can manage that much more easily.
(Hell I can play an Orc Futa in Skyrim and have no trouble projecting myself onto my player character)

I kind of suspect this silhouette thing might be a subconscious import from Japan... I can't remember ever seeing it used in western games, and I think for players who grew up with a lot of Japanese influences in their gaming or manga it probably passes by unnoticed.

But I lack those influences, and it jars me out of the experience every time.

OP
Reepyr

Reepyr

Sex Demon
Reputation score

Well you're already working on it from your changelog. You're replacing more of the portraits with 3D renderings bit by bit, and that's going to help a lot... I was never really expecting all new sprites and environments, since that seems like a crazy amount of very thankless work. :)
I do plan on replacing the generic face portraits with 3D rendered ones for each character in the game, takes quite a bit of time to make them but I agree that it will enhance the immersion. What's funny to me though, is that because I now envision these characters from their face portrait images, that is what they look like and so my models will come close to looking like that. (green hair girl will have to have green hair obviously!)

What you might do though, and maybe you are but I just wasn't looking for it, is try to make sure that the colour palettes in your rendered backgrounds match the ones of the 'room' that the scene takes place in.
(So, not necessarily redrawing everything in the room, just matching the general atmosphere of the colour and lighting)
Yep! In the scenes I have added recently I did make colored versions of the rooms for the backdrop of the new images I was making. I imagine when I have some extra time I will go back and redo the backdrop for the Bernal BJ scene since I now have the basics of the room rendered. Damn, does it crush my computer when rendering these though. Have had it crash the modeling program multiple times mid-render.

Here's a sneak preview of Tara's room as she sleeps while Morton watches over her(Sinius and Bryce as well maybe? ;)).
I think that's the reasoning, but I'm not convinced. I find it almost impossible to 'project' myself onto an indistinct black silhouette. It might as well be an alien in that regard... If it has a penis, human proportions, and a somewhat natural looking skin tone, I can manage that much more easily.
(Hell I can play an Orc Futa in Skyrim and have no trouble projecting myself onto my player character)

I kind of suspect this silhouette thing might be a subconscious import from Japan... I can't remember ever seeing it used in western games, and I think for players who grew up with a lot of Japanese influences in their gaming or manga it probably passes by unnoticed.
The only part that can be a benefit for me when playing a game is it allows you to have a see through silhouette so you can create an angle that you couldn't have otherwise. I'll just have to work with POV, side and front shots, it'll do.

Last edited:

babon123

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

Yeah I think most players would be tempted to run the Sinius route first. My challenge would be to make the Bernal route interesting enough for people to want to go through the game again and see how it worked out. I'm still on the fence about having the route choice be early in the game or have them run together for a while. I'll figure it out in the next couple days by the time I release the extended Demo.

Been a busy day of writing/eventing(got a lot done), I'm off to get some sleep. Night all!
if I may add here,
to make it worthwhile to play other routes maybe you can consider virgin island style, ie let say 1 route is pure/virgin with lot of perks (magic, equipment etc) while the non-pure one is less perks...

or if you in it just make 2 different accessible areas in these routes , but this will make the game massive :)

OP
Reepyr

Reepyr

Sex Demon
Reputation score

Morton's looking very good I might say. :p
I think he works out. :D

if I may add here,
to make it worthwhile to play other routes maybe you can consider virgin island style, ie let say 1 route is pure/virgin with lot of perks (magic, equipment etc) while the non-pure one is less perks...

or if you in it just make 2 different accessible areas in these routes , but this will make the game massive :)
I loved playing VI and would be extremely happy if I could end up with something as well designed as that game. I am trying to keep my goals reasonable enough at the moment so that I don't get myself into trouble by biting off more than I can chew. As I learn more and develop my writing, coding, and rendering skills to a higher degree I will certainly try and incorporate new things into my projects.

I think I will be content having the 5 distinct endings that I have in mind for Adventures of Tara.

Last edited:

orcaki

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

reup pls

OP
Reepyr

Reepyr

Sex Demon
Reputation score

I finished the extended demo last night and it doesn't appear to have any major bugs, so here it is! This basically runs the demo through the end of Day 2 and almost doubles the CG scenes content.

Demo <a href="https://mega.nz/#!fNA0iBwQ!0oNjK60_upj8XtdJzfpyIHN7XNPlEKtkLNAOZPD0Yl4">Download</a> 218MB<br>
If you already have VX ACE RTP installed you can use this <a href="https://mega.nz/#!aZgARAwC!Xj7JozCovWHpWElcLbFXk8tjMf3Msz_y9ATjbabIOKk">Download</a> instead 29MB<br>
Photobucket took a dump today so I had to upload them somewhere else and to top it all off we got rear ended on the way home...:mad:

Ahh well, hope you enjoy! I'm going to go lie down and ice my back now. Fun times.

Last edited:

torkenstiem

Tentacle God
Reputation score
Re: Adventures of Tara - English H-Game [Demo] [1/29]

well, gettn rearended in the first month of the new year aint the best way to start it off, but i hope nobody was seriously hurt. i really enjoyed the 2nd segment of yer demo, really lookin forward to more content :D