DarkFire1004

Tentacle Goddess of the H-Section
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reputation score
Re: The ULMF Trail

>.> I-I guess that works.

Anywho, turns out the names had to be squeezed in as well. Hope you don't mind.

Now before we set off on a fantastic journey, we STILL need to do some stuff. Namely, choosing when to leave and what to buy. You have $1,200 to spend on junk.

Feel free to ask what each one does if you're not osure.

As always, I'll let you guys fight it out.

Obeliskos

Tentacle God
Reputation score

I'll go for the usual, AKA, what I did when you were doing this with me.

Leave in May.
12 oxen
20 sets of clothes
50 boxes of ammo
2 of each spare
And 2000 pounds o' food.

Copper

Lurker
Reputation score

I suggest we leave in May.

As for buying things:

Max out the spares on the wheels, axles, and tongues (maybe not the tongues...that's what you use to yoke the oxen, right? At least have one.)

Not sure on clothes. Maybe at least one or two spare sets per person? Or if you could elaborate on their function, maybe, Dark?

Oxen, I'm thinking 4 (but no less than 2)

Bullets I leave to you. You know how good of a shot you are. Maybe at least a couple boxes. (Does the game also fuck you over like it used to? Y'know, you kill a 300 pound buffalo but can only carry back 50 pounds of meat?)

Food - Does it give a suggested amount per person? If not, bulk up on that, maybe.

I'd say try and keep $500 or so bucks in reserve in case, y'know, the oxen die or something.

Obeliskos

Tentacle God
Reputation score

You can only carry 200 pounds back to the wagon.

Also, on second thought, drop the ammo a bit. Every time I play this game, I end up with a fuckload of leftover ammo.

OP
DarkFire1004

DarkFire1004

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reputation score

Do you guys want me to chime in with a suggestion from time to time as well?

Copper

Lurker
Reputation score

As it has been a while since I've played and this is a version that is new to me (I was playing this on Apples, folks. Apples.) it might be helpful.

OP
DarkFire1004

DarkFire1004

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reputation score

Alright then.

Well beginning with the month, I'd say May is pretty much the best month. Unless you're a masochist, I don't know why you would choose August or something (Obe).

Onto the items. Clothing is one of the barriers you have against sickness. Since we have to traverse mountains, it's a good idea that we keep a spare for each wagon rider. That way they won't get sick from wearing the same filthy clothes everyday.

The bullets, I'll just tell you I don't really need a lot. I'm a pretty good shot with Oregon Trail's "fps". 300 bullets (That's 15 boxes) or so should last the entire game.

The oxen... Let's just say Obe's suggestion is a teensy bit better than yours, Copper. Unless we're going for the Animal Cruelty achievement, I doubt that four oxen will be able to carry two thousand some pounds of weight at a pace we'd like to go.

The spares for the wagon, I usually max out on. Never know how many times it'll break down and plus they get counted in the final score, so that's always a bonus.

Food, I usually take, like Obe, 2000 pounds. It's almost too much, if you ask me, because I usually go hunt-crazy. But in this game, I'm letting you guys dictate when I should hunt, which means the food supply is completely up to you as well.

Then again, all of these decisions are up to you as well.

Also yes. The game does in fact fuck you over when it comes to draging hunted food back. 200 pounds? Really? Even I could drag that much by myself!

Shrike7

Lurker
Reputation score

Let's see:

at least a dozen oxen (the game recommends 6, but I have yet to play a game where I didn't lose at least that many to thieves+death, I usually take the full 20)
at least 16 sets of clothes (they end up being fairly oft-used trading items, especially for the all-important oxen)
15 boxen of bullets should be more than enough, yep.
2-3 of every replacement, if there's enough money for three all three, go for it.
And yep, a full load of food, just so we don't lose as many days to hunting, and bought food never spoils.

Copper

Lurker
Reputation score

Fair enough. More oxen is all right and remember, I'm used to playing the older version of the game. I don't recall being allowed to have that many oxen. But then again, I usually took one of the jobs that didn't give me as much money. Up the numbers, then, but I still say, if possible, keep some money in reserve.

So, does the updated version of the game allow you to use oxen for food too? (while we're on the subject of animal cruelty...)

OP
DarkFire1004

DarkFire1004

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reputation score

... HAHAHAHA. The Oregon Trail game has orgasms at the thought of animal cruelty. They feed themselves, but wherever you travel, NO MATTER WHERE THE FUCK YOU ARE, you will always get a message saying, "NO GRASS FOR YOUR COWS. THEY CAN GO DIE."

Obeliskos

Tentacle God
Reputation score

^TELLING IT HOW IT IS

I've never encountered a screen that doesn't say something involving my oxen dying, getting sick, or not having food.

Yet for some reason, they hardly ever die. A thief usually steals them..

Pheonix Alugere

Former Moderator
Reputation score

I have no oppinion on what shit we need to buy. I always ended up getting recommended packs and then loading up on spare wheel parts.

OP
DarkFire1004

DarkFire1004

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reputation score

I still need a list from Mo, Bartnum, and Toxic.

The general vote is:
Leave at May.
Around 12 oxen.
About 16-20 sets of clothes.
15 boxes of bullets.
Max wagon replacements.
Max food.

Bartnum

Lurker
Former Moderator
Reputation score

I agree with the general vote.

OP
DarkFire1004

DarkFire1004

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reputation score

>.>

I guess Mo and Toxic aren't gonna vote. The general vote it is then!

Here we are in Independence, Missouri! To hell with your decisions. I'm gonna keep this interesting and give you some facts about the place. Y'know, just in case you go there... >.>

The town of Independence in western Missouri is one of the chief starting points for folks setting off on the Oregon Trail. Emigrants from the east often rendezvous here to form wagon trains. They stock up on supplies, get information about the journey, and make important decisions, such as when to set off on the trail.

And for those of you who care, I change a couple of the things because the general vote ended up being extremely heavy. I got rid of more of the luxuries, such as cutting down more bullets, and only having two spares for each of the wagon parts.

For our pace, I set it to strenuous. Meanwhile I made our meals meager. If any of you object to this, tell me.

AND THEY'RE OFF!
Along the way, two things of note happened:
One of our wagon wheels broke, but I managed to fix it without having to use a spare.
We got lost in heavy fog (Expect for this to happen A LOT). Because of this, we lost a day.

Besides those extremely minor problems, we reached the checkpoint without any hitches. Now here we are at the Kansas River Crossing. Nothing about our status has changed from Independence, except we now have 1940 pounds of food now.

The Kansas River is a tributary to the Missouri. It is approximately 170 miles long. Its width and depth vary depending on the amount of recent rain or snow melt. Where the Oregon Trail crosses the Kansas River, the average width is 620 feet and the usual depth in the middle is about 4 feet. But be sure to check the present conditions when you get there.

Aside from that, nothing of note besides the fact that we need to cross the river. We do that by the following:

As well as some laziness from me, I just screenshotted the explanation too.

So here are the things to do now:
Should we trade for anything for the moment?
Should we change the pace and/or the rationing?
How should we cross the river?
Do you want me to put the screenies in spoiler tags from now on?

Last edited:

Copper

Lurker
Reputation score

So here are the things to do now:
Should we trade for anything for the moment?
Should we change the pace and/or the rationing?
How should we cross the river?
Do you want me to put the screenies in spoiler tags from now on?
1. I think we're good.
2. Seems fine. I say only change if the health suffers or once it gets ungodly hot.
3. Always hated this part. Always got fucked over. The wagon is heavy enough that it won't float away, but there's also a chance the damn thing will get stuck (I think.) How much is it to ferry across?
4. They're not bugging me at the moment. I say leave 'em in.

Shrike7

Lurker
Reputation score

Five bucks to ferry, which is my chouce. Other then that, it all looks good except for the rationing, which I say full. I have always left it at full rations, and with a once-a-week hunt, I have been able to keep a breakneck pace for the majority of the distance, keep everyone alive, and still finished with about 1300 food remaining.

Copper

Lurker
Reputation score

If it's five bucks, then I say ferry as well.