What's new

THIS IS THE OFFICIAL TEAM FORTRESS 2 TOPIC

cross_grave

Lurker
Reputation score
Re: THIS IS THE OFFICIAL TEAM FORTRESS 2 TOPIC

... Damn it, I really should have gone scout. I'm not exactly used to that class, given how fragile scouts are, but the extra speed certainly helps you survive long enough. And they are pretty damn lethal, with the right setup.

As for the newbie classes... Yeah, I suppose you're right. Altough I'm not sure why newbies would pick a spy. I mean, sure, you can turn invisible, but if anyone looks at you funny, you're dead. Takes some experience and discipline to play this class right, methinks. I can see how sniper is a newbie class, since they probably think he's just a point-and-click kind of guy. I do agree that bodyshooting is for wankers, though, and people who can't headshot consistently should stay away from that class.

W+M1 pyros... Successful, as long as enemy doesn't have competent soldiers, demos, snipers, engies or heavies. Then you can't do shit. At least those guys tried to flank sometimes. Sometimes. There was a soldier on enemy team who scored five dominations in one round.

Incubus

Horn Dog
Reputation score

Both sniper and spy are not newbie classes because they're easy to play as such. They both have methods that will guarentee a kill as long as you connect and are seen as high profile. Yes, spy is a horrendously hard class to play well, but it looks cool. Really cool. It gets all sorts of fancy tricks that are fairly unique to it across FPS as a whole.

And both classes, when played properly, get a lot of attention. I started learning sniper because I was playing regularly on a server and no one was remembering me because while I was a decently good soldier, I wasn't so good it was memorable. But you very quickly learn to loathe the sniper who's one shotted you as soon as you come around the corner as early as the second time it happens.

OP
Obeliskos

Obeliskos

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Spies get too much credit. It's my main and people never shut the fuck up about spies in pubs. "OH WOW NICE STAIRSTAB" who fucking cares, I consistently pull it off with little to no effort "HOLY JEEZ GREAT CHAINSTAB" he was using the YER, that's stupid easy "WHOA HOLY SHIT GUYS LOOK AT OUR SPY HE WAS TOP SCORING" he gets two points per backstab meaning he can get half of your kills and receive the same amount of points if they're all backstabs, chill the fuck out

I notice pyros who reflect, medics who pop and don't drop, medics who uber save, soldiers who airshot, demomen with great sticky control (I can tell the difference between MOUSE 1 MOUSE 2 MOUSE 1 MOUSE 2 and a demoman who's actually good with stickies), scouts who seem to have solid aim and good dodging, etc. I'm very, very rarely impressed by spies.

Incubus

Horn Dog
Reputation score

Yeah, I'll agree with that.

One question, "Pop and don't drop"? I'm guessing that means to pop and uber and stick with the person you uber'd rather than swapping person; which does tend to fuck things up; I myself have gone "oh, shit, a random uber" that I wasn't expecting as it was switched onto me, rushed forwards, and then found myself without the bubble just as suddenly.. :/

I should play again tonight, I've been distracted by other things lately. It's just not the same game without my favourite server though, y'know? I can't find a good server that has some good chatter going on anyways; my favourite server used to have good team communiaction while being an alltalk server. So yeah, the other team could overhear everything, but we kept it contextual whenever popular.

Still "tap e when you want it" can pretty much only be heard as "incoming uber"

lurker

Hentai Master
Reputation score

There is a VERY rarely used voice command at the bottom of the second page, used to annotate a medic if you want a Uber, shortly followed by a Medic call when they have the uber at full to nearby squaddies (if they were saving uber, there's a good chance you got full a bit ago). Once again, rarely used.

Also, unless you are trying to double-uber people, what's the point of starting a uber and then dropping it off someone? It's called ensuring your target is right the first time, Uber only lasts so long.

Incubus

Horn Dog
Reputation score

Yeah, there's a voice command, but its awkward to get at and still doesn't actually get the same message across. Having the person on the receiving end being able to call for medic when they want it will do the job quicker which is often important, and medic players are used to listening for calls of medic so react faster to it. As I said, we didn't actually call for uber over voice, we just let them know it's ready and to hti E when they want it, putting the control of when it's popped into the hands of the person with a better idea of when it's a good time for it, as they know their own current loaded ammo and can usually see what they're up against better because they're in front. Ubers are far more effective when they're planned for by both parties especially if they're activated when they're needed and not early before they're even in sight of the enemy.

OP
Obeliskos

Obeliskos

Tentacle God
Reputation score

"Pop, don't drop" refers to popping your uber if you're about to die rather than dying and losing it completely (which is referred to as "dropping uber"). Darkfire drops a lot.
:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

Incubus

Horn Dog
Reputation score

Ah. Wow, there are medics that die when they've got a full bar from things other than instant kills? (backstab, headshot)

._.

I mean, if it were kritz, I can understand to some extent, but unless you're suddenly ambushed you don't pop kritz unless you're in control of the situation. And when you are suddenly ambushed, you pop it immediantly to get rid of said ambush because the risk of dying is too great.

Last edited:
OP
Obeliskos

Obeliskos

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Top level medics drop sometimes. It just happens. A lot of distraction, lag, slow reflexes, whatever.

Did I mention that darkfire drops a lot?
:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

Cactuses

The user formerly known as MoT
Reputation score

Better gift him a medigun named "Chance of dying;"

Incubus

Horn Dog
Reputation score

Mm, I can see it happening if you get blindsided while trying to save uber. It's not something I've had to worry about in recent games back the team hasn't had good enough communication that I'm comfortable holding onto a charge most of the time.

There was one beautiful game on a KOTH map where I was a kritz medic (as I usually am) and would usaully go on a kritz run with the same demoman because he was good at it, although if they weren't handy and/or there was a major offensive one of the heavies was also a good choice. Most fun I've had as a medic in a long time, that game, because there were a few good players who knew what to do.

And only one or two people who would duck behind cover on the wrong side of the point screaming medic while the enemy was making a major push and expect me to run out into a field of bullets to come and save their precious ass without anyone to give me covering fire.

lurker

Hentai Master
Reputation score

Oft-times I focus on healing over damaging as Medic, so I often use the original Medigun (for the invulnerability uber to break pushes) plus Vitasaw, so even if I am gank'd by that pesky spy I don't lose all that hard work. Even still, on the front lines, shit happenz >,>;

Momiji

Lurker
Reputation score

Top level medics drop sometimes. It just happens. A lot of distraction, lag, slow reflexes, whatever.

Did I mention that darkfire drops a lot?
:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:
Did I mention that Obe consistently has the worst KDR in almost all of his highlander matches?

lurker

Hentai Master
Reputation score

Inb4 Obe rages at this ^

Darmy647

Lurker
Reputation score

Getting a WEE bit better at playing demo, getting the grenade bounce under control a little more. Enjoying My Scotsman Skull-Cutter too. Although i haven't met many gutsy melee people (aside from the scouts. I lurve bat-scouts.They make my axe a happy axe.) Aside from that...not so much. I AM getting better though, ive been playing a lot of offline practice to train with the grenade launcher better. I think my Number one hate is scouts for the grenade launcher. very difficult honestly.

Incubus

Horn Dog
Reputation score

Getting a WEE bit better at playing demo, getting the grenade bounce under control a little more. Enjoying My Scotsman Skull-Cutter too. Although i haven't met many gutsy melee people (aside from the scouts. I lurve bat-scouts.They make my axe a happy axe.) Aside from that...not so much. I AM getting better though, ive been playing a lot of offline practice to train with the grenade launcher better. I think my Number one hate is scouts for the grenade launcher. very difficult honestly.

Well, scouts are one of the hard counters to a demo. You pretty much need stickies to stand a decent fighting chance.

Also you forgot to close your brackets.

Darmy647

Lurker
Reputation score

Well, scouts are one of the hard counters to a demo. You pretty much need stickies to stand a decent fighting chance.

Also you forgot to close your brackets.
You must have responded faster than i could edit, damn lol. I got the brackets like 2 seconds after i posted. But yeah, its really, REALLY tough to get them. I do a Little better at them with the LocknLoad launcher, but im trying to stick with the grenade launcher since it started strange and has been keeping count of kills and such (i have no idea if it adds anything special or not, i haven never received a strange weapon before). I'll probably have to spend an extra hour or few days training with stickys, but im working on grenade and Axe.

OP
Obeliskos

Obeliskos

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Did I mention that Obe consistently has the worst KDR in almost all of his highlander matches?

told, son

inb4darkfire points out my god fucking awful gpit match

also, unrelated:

OP
Obeliskos

Obeliskos

Tentacle God
Reputation score

the skullcutter is a straight downgrade, get rid of it