What's new

ULMF Minecraft Server (Address can be found on first post)

SirOni

Demon Girls #1 Fan
Reputation score
Re: ULMF Minecraft Server (Address can be found on first post)

If it's been restarted now then I still can't detect the server. I'll try restarting my computer, though I was able to access it this morning before going to work.

OP
maikochan

maikochan

User #69
Reputation score

No, it's still shutting down. Takes a while actually with all the mods on it. Seems to be taking longer than usual this time- and there it goes. Going to reboot the machine and bring it back up. 2-3 minutes at most probably.

SirOni

Demon Girls #1 Fan
Reputation score

Woo, finally managed to connect.

SirOni

Demon Girls #1 Fan
Reputation score

Video updates of what will be in the next Minecraft updates.

Host

Lurker
Reputation score

Hmm, the sever still seems to be running quite poorly. I was also having issues reaching it, and while I connected on occasion, it was painfully laggy - and still seems to be now.

SirOni

Demon Girls #1 Fan
Reputation score

Maiko said it's probably to do with the memory so he'll be upgrading it soon.

OP
maikochan

maikochan

User #69
Reputation score

Yah, I apologise about the lag. As Oni said, I'll be upgrading the server's RAM to hopefully fix it. Right now the computer's using 90% of its RAM when the server is just sitting idle. I'll be getting the memory in about a week or two, so please bare with it until then.

SirOni

Demon Girls #1 Fan
Reputation score

For some reason I can't reach the server again. Been like that for the past hour or so, though I did manage to get on it a few hours ago, though the lag was pretty bad then. As in, I could do nothing for several minutes, the sun would rise and then suddenly jump back to just before sun rise again.

Host

Lurker
Reputation score

Yeah, I'm in a similarly shitty situation. Guess we'll just have to wait for the ram to arrive.

...Of course, there is always the possibility that this is a side-effect of whatever glitch occurred to destroy world-3, given the timing and the fact that the server was fine before-hand. Of course, the physical power-outage could have potentially caused damage, but in that case there's not much that could be done, so it's not worth mentioning. I take it you've tried the universal fixes of uninstalling and reinstalling the mods/Minecraft? Then again, given the errors that have already occurred, that might just tempt fate into losing all our maps...

On a side note, could you upload world 1 (i.e., the one with my project in it) to a fileserver so that I can sate my paranoia about my work mysteriously disappearing?

OP
maikochan

maikochan

User #69
Reputation score

Just a heads up, I won't have internet for about a week. When the server's back up, it should have the new RAM in it. And Host, I'll see about getting the world put up on the internet somewhere. Should be done by the weekend.

OP
maikochan

maikochan

User #69
Reputation score

Okay, time for a status update. Server is still offline, as I'm sure you're all aware. I'm all moved in and have my internet hooked up, however, it's cutting out seemingly at random. I'm calling the company tomorrow to address this. Once they fix that, I'll bring the server back online. However, I still haven't upgraded it's RAM, so it will be laggy as hell. So here's two options:
1) Bring it back up as it was before I moved. There'll by a lot of lag, fair warning, unless something magical happened during the move.
2) Bring it back up, but with only one world available, probably either the latest one, or a brand new one. This'll be temporary, until the memory arrives and I can fix the lag issue. Well, I hope that'll fix the lag issue... If not... Going to have to try something else.

Host

Lurker
Reputation score

I vote for world 1 to be the only world- *Immediately overruled*

I would check for magic happening after the move just in case, Maiko, seeing as the server -was- working fine for some time. Maybe a component got jiggled and the move will have jiggled it back in? Happens with my tower all the damn time.

If we don't get some unexpected lagless-ness with all our worlds once your net isn't fritzing out, drop it down to one world, I don't truly mind which exactly. (Though if we could somehow get our world-3 back, that would be my preferred choice…)

Unknown Squid

Aurani's Wife
Reputation score

No sense in making any more new worlds, especially not for a temporary thing. I would imagine that we're all too invested in various large scale or ongoing projects to be interested in building a few new mud huts in some new wilderness. Though personally I probably won't actually be logging in this week anyway, so it's not much of my concern right now. I'm fine to wait, so count the other's votes first.

SirOni

Demon Girls #1 Fan
Reputation score

Yeah, I'm with Squid. There's no sense creating a new world. Though if we do stick with one world I'd rather it be the tekkit world.

OP
maikochan

maikochan

User #69
Reputation score

So I'm still having connection problems, though they have lessened a bit. Going to call the company again tomorrow and have them send someone out. I've got some stuff to do tomorrow and Friday, but Saturday I'll hook the server up, assuming nothing comes up and prevents me from doing so. Just remember that you might get booted occasionally.

And I'll check the tekkit world. I know one thing that can lag a server is excessive amounts of flowing water. Ahem. *looks at the people making quarries in the ocean* I have come up with an easy way to effectively clear an area of water though (or any other liquid). Turtles.

ComputerCraft turtles will destroy any liquid in the squares they enter. If you know how to program them, it's really easy to tell one to just go back and forth until it hits the ground and it'll clear the water (or lava) in that area. Incidentally, they also work as snow removal robots for those living in snowy biomes and want to keep the streets clear.

If you want an example of something similar to this, take a look at the 'excavate' program that's on all turtle's ROMs. It digs a square shaft down to bedrock or until its inventory is full. Kind of needs to be done on a mining turtle, but I think regular turtles have the program as well. Just take out the mining parts, fiddle with the arguments and loops to allow for non-square rectangles, and you should be good.

SirOni

Demon Girls #1 Fan
Reputation score

Yeah, mining turtles are pretty fun (and destructive), though I didn't know regular turtles could use the excavate command. Would help greatly considering a mining turtle needs a diamond pick for its recipe.

I can't speak for anyone else, (well aside from Squid, but we all know what happened there) but at least with Bart and myself the only water our quarries have seen is from the water we've filled them up with to turn lava into obsidian. And we made sure to take it out once the quarries had finished. And I only suggested the tekkit world as it's the most recent world any of us has built on and I don't fancy losing all my shit again.

Unknown Squid

Aurani's Wife
Reputation score

Don't worry about my work in the ocean. After the first incident I've not done any more under sea digging yet, and when I get round to resuming the project, I intend to drain the water for each section fully before any further excavation. It was the literal thousands of blocks of down flow that caused the problems.

63x63 = A square area of 3969 blocks for a single layer of the quarry.

Multiply that by say, 32, about half the depth of the pit when we cleared the water problem, and you get in the area of 120'000 blocks of extended downflow. It's easy to see how it caused lag when you think about it like this. '-'

But yeah, my Seawell project is currently completely inactive and waiting for the next phase, so no lag from me. I've not got anything else around that would cause any issues either.

SirOni

Demon Girls #1 Fan
Reputation score

Two new mobs revealed to be released in the next update;

Host

Lurker
Reputation score

In other Minecract related news, user Host24 has died of an unfulfilled Maikocraft addiction.

SirOni

Demon Girls #1 Fan
Reputation score

Had an idea for when the server comes back online. An arena, both PvP and PvE, the reward for winning would be a varied amount of Industrial Credit's that can be spent on better gear to use in the arena and even some non-arena items.

Also, I'll be needing a ton of coal for a project so I was planning on setting up a trade-o-mat to trade a stack of coal for one diamond. Which is basically how much coal is needed to make a diamond, so you don't have to worry about me gypping you out of resources. That won't be right away though as I'll not be using Siranum Industries' diamonds for it.