[Other] Walkthroughs

Jun 14, 2009
Re: Walkthroughs

I support this idea.

However, instead of making it its own sticky, why not put the list in the games list post? That way, we don't have an extra sticky lying around and if we have the game in the list, you can also see if it has its own walkthrough.

Bulmassj4

Jungle Girl
Apr 3, 2010

That would be ok too of course, but who is going to organize that?
And can Admins just shove a post between like... the first and the second?
So that you have the first post a game list and the second one a walkthough list?
I dont know, but i dont think that it works, so i suggested a sticky ^^

Edit: Already found some walkthroughs to add, i hope u like it. :3

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2009

I don't think they can just shove a brand-new post in between posts, but they can edit other people's posts. I'm positing an edit of that post, so we only have one sticky, and one post, and any link to a walkthrough is right under the link to the actual game.

DarkFire1004

Tentacle Goddess of the H-Section
Nov 10, 2008

I have a couple problems with your suggestion, Alias. First, people around here tend to be blind and will most likely overlook the walkthroughs in the first place. If it were its own sticky, more people would take notice of it than if I just did something like change the title of the Game List thread to have"(THERE'S WALKTHROUGHS HERE)"... Actually, that'd probably work.

The other problem is, I haven't updated the list in a looooong while. It'd take a very long time for me to get it back up to date, so a lot of games that we'd probably add wouldn't even be on the list in the first place.

Moonchaos

Evard's Tentacles of Forced Intrusion
Aug 21, 2010

How about finding it trough a category like you choose from the list if you make a new thread ([Other], [Full Game])
Just make a [Walktrough]

Bulmassj4

Jungle Girl
Apr 3, 2010

@DarkFire
Yea, i think there would be some problems, easiest thing:
Some Admin should make this a sticky and we're good to go. ^^

@Moonchaos:
I think when someone is looking for a walkthrough for a game he is playing,
he already knows the category and its easier to find it in an alphabetical ordered list.
Or do you mean that EVERY walkthough should have its own thread?
That would be even more complicated and overflowing the board ^^

But still, thanks a lot for your interrest and ideas everyone.

ToxicShock

(And Reputation Manager)
Staff member
Administrator
Nov 10, 2008

I would like to think the simplest thing is to have a walkthrough in the first post of the game it's posted. Really the only thing that makes sense to me, why would the walkthrough for the game not be with the game.

Bulmassj4

Jungle Girl
Apr 3, 2010

1.) They would be scattered all over the place
2.) Not everyone would want to see it.
3.) Again Admins would have to edit the post, and delete what other people say about the game.
4.) You have to copy the post everytime a new version is released and gets a new thread.
5.) If the Walkthrough gets bigger, u would have to delete more and more user posts.

It would be nice to have them there, just like in the games list, but thats lot too much work.

And i dont think that most ppl would be happy when their posts get deleted / completely edited.

Again a nice idea, thanks, but not realy possible that easy.

Last edited:

ToxicShock

(And Reputation Manager)
Staff member
Administrator
Nov 10, 2008

1.) They would be scattered all over the place
No they wouldn't, they'd be with the games themselves.

2.) Not everyone would want to see it.
Then they don't have to click the link or open the spoiler

3.) Again Admins would have to edit the post, and delete what other people say about the game.
Wouldn't have to delete anything. That's why I said ideally anyway, because they're up already. Here's how hard the extra step is. If you find the walkthrough, you already know the name, so you search the forum for that name.
4.) You have to copy the post everytime a new version is released and gets a new thread.
You'd have to copy it every time either way, who cares. The game gets updated, the walkthrough gets updated, you throw in the edits for both in the first post of the game thread and everything's tidy.
5.) If the Walkthrough gets bigger, u would have to delete more and more user posts.
No you wouldn't I have no idea why you think peoples posts have to be deleted just to put in extra information.

Bulmassj4

Jungle Girl
Apr 3, 2010

1.) Yea, they would be as scattered as the games that are not in the "Game List".
2.) Ok, spoiler would be an idea
3.) So you CAN make new posts between post 1 and post 2 of a thread?
If no, then u can only add Walkthroughs to games with no second post in the thread OR edit the second post and with that delete what that person wrote.
4.) Why would you have to copy it when its in a list?
5.) see 3.

If you have a Walkthrough as big as mine, you need the ENTIRE second post and maybe more, there is no space to leave what that person wrote before.
(I had to delete a lot of redundant stuff in my Walkthrough because i wanted it to fit into one post ^^)

And i think that u would have to do that because Alias sayd:
"I don't think they can just shove a brand-new post in between posts, but they can edit other people's posts."

Edit: May i ask what all of you have against a list?

Is it realy easier to edit other people posts,
Squeze a whole walkthrough into a spoiler tag in the second post,
Maybe even deleting or moving other ppl's informations,
and then...
Use the forums search engine,
browse the over 9000 results for the right post,
open the thread and then looking into the spoiler,

then just writing it here, make a link in the first post,
and then...
open the list and click the link?

Editedit: I tried to search for some walkthroughs for the list and yes, it realy are like over 9000 results, alone like 1000 for Legend of Queen Opala...
I searched for like 30 minutes and look how few actual walkthroughs i found.
And btw, who is going to do all the work to add the Walkthroughs into hundreds of posts?

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2009

I don't understand why you seem to think hitting the "edit" button means some information of the post gets deleted.

Admin hits edit, adds some information, and doesn't remove anything. You don't have to delete a part of a post just to put in something. Case in point: Your last post. Did you delete anything in order to put the extra information in?

ToxicShock

(And Reputation Manager)
Staff member
Administrator
Nov 10, 2008

Yeah, I have to say I don't understand your misunderstanding of my position. I don't know what you think is required of anyone, but you're most likely incorrect.

The games here are all here. I don't know how to say that any easier. I know they're here because if they're not here, then they're not. So if the person gets the game off this site, which is most likely if this is where they're searching for the walkthrough, then the walkthrough would be RIGHT UNDER where they got the game from. That's the easiest thing I could ever think of. If you have the game on your computer already, you can use the search button for the title, and if someone has to wade through 9,000 different results, they're borderline retarded. Mod edits work the exact same way as individual edits, they just hit the first post, edit it, and throw in the walkthrough

Bulmassj4

Jungle Girl
Apr 3, 2010

Well, if its so easy, then why isnt there a walkthrough in the second post of every game that has one?

And what about the RPGMaker games?
Those walkthroughs would be scattered all over the thread wich has like 100 Pages.

I just wanted to add something use and helpfull to this forums,
but if u guys are so much against that idea, then just leave it
and wait for some admin to add walkthroghs in the games posts,
wich will (i think) never happen.

@ToxinShock: Thanks for calling me retarded, how low are you?
No wonder you write bullshit like in your post before that.

Maybe you guys first read and then post before insulting others.

I hate to repeat myself but:
If you have a Walkthrough as big as mine, you need the ENTIRE second post and maybe more, there is no space to leave what that person wrote before.

ToxicShock

(And Reputation Manager)
Staff member
Administrator
Nov 10, 2008

@ToxinShock: Thanks for calling me retarded, how low are you?
No wonder you write bullshit like in your post before that.

Maybe you guys first read and then post before insulting others.

I hate to repeat myself but:
It doesn't have to be in the second post and I didn't say you were retarded, I offered a hypothetical and used a fictional person. You really have no idea what this process is, so I don't know how to explain to you how you're wrong. I'm not trying to be abusive and it was a good idea, but I just can't wrap my mind around how you're not understanding.

There's not a post limit or something, I don't care how long your walkthrough is. And a spoiler tag limits that, like I said. Or anyone can have it uploaded on a website as a text document, so if you download the game, you can just download the walkthrough with it, and you never have to go looking through this forum. There is absolutely no reason any of what you're saying has to happen, so I don't know how to approach this conversation anymore.

Bulmassj4

Jungle Girl
Apr 3, 2010

"if someone has to wade through 9,000 different results, they're borderline retarded."
Thats exactly what i did to get the 5 links, so, yes, you called me retarded.

And now plz try to add my walkthrough into any second post that has more that 1 sentence in it.
And remember, were talking about the walkthrough, NOT a link.

ToxicShock

(And Reputation Manager)
Staff member
Administrator
Nov 10, 2008

Why does it have to be the second post? And I'm not a mod so I can't edit things. But check this out.

Let's find a game on our forum that you have a walkthrough for.
Hey, let's play Blank Blank Shoujo. The only problem is, I have no idea where it is on the website!
http://ulmf.org/bbs/search.php?searchid=322436
Just about 8,998 short of 9,000, but two threads is still a lot, so I can understand how you're confused. And one of them is this very thread that you created.

Aww but thats a huge thread because it's only rpgmaker games in general, which in all fairness to you, shouldnt really exist. Games really should be threaded by themselves. If only we had a "search this thread" so we could
http://ulmf.org/bbs/search.php?searchid=322438
Oh, holy shit! There's a search this thread option! and there's a total 11 posts on that thread about blank blank shoujo.

I guess we'll just check the first post that says anything about it. And wow, lookie gee, it's the first post of the thread.
Now watch how this would work.

The newest game by the creator of Kaido Shoujo - Blank Blank Shoujo.
Beware, it's instant death if you mess up - guide the girl to the true ending or else.
17 possible BAD END and 9 True Ending, with lots of different death animations.
http://rapidshare.com/files/170420667/Girl0.07.zip
Spoiler

First page of an individual game thread, done.

Bulmassj4

Jungle Girl
Apr 3, 2010

Oh, your not an admin?
Then good luck adding anything in one of the first posts,
or editing the walkthrough, wich is only possible for admins if you post them there.
So everytime a game gets updated, an admin has to update the walkthrough.

But yea, i am amazed how much u can write in one post, like i said,
when i made my walkthrough, i was VERY limited and had to delete parts because the post was too long.

ToxicShock

(And Reputation Manager)
Staff member
Administrator
Nov 10, 2008

Oh, your not an admin?
Then good luck adding anything in one of the first posts,
or editing the walkthrough, wich is only possible for admins if you post them there.
......seriously?

So everytime a game gets updated, an admin has to update the walkthrough.
Every time a game get updated, the link to the updated version changes, which means the first post has to be changed anyway, so what's the problem. Update it in one single post instead of having the walkthroughs completely separate from the game thread.

But yea, i am amazed how much u can write in one post, like i said,
when i made my walkthrough, i was VERY limited and had to delete parts because the post was too long.
which is why it's popular for the longest walkthroughs to be uploaded as a text document for download.