What's new

Would you survive?

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score
Re: Would you survive?

Romero zombies and Max Brook's zombies are pretty much the same.
World War Z was also an amazing follow up book by him.

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score

Actually the voodoo zombies are just people who have been drugged into slave labor. At least in my small experience with voodoo, that's what I'm told. I would agree with those three basic definitions though.

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

There is a fourth actual magic one however. Que something out of Evil Dead. But yes, voodoo zombies are something akin to what Ronny said.

Unknown Squid

Aurani's Wife
Reputation score

I've been thinking of the Max Brook's zombies. Though in all honesty, I don't see that version as that much of a threat. The way the survival guide describes them, I found it absurd that they could possibly be a real danger to the modern world. Any other type of zombie gets significantly more dangerous. The sprinting rage zombie kinds, or the imposibly strong and durable types, would mess things up badly.

If you think about the Max Brooks zombies though, they are said to not even be cordinated enough to climb stairs properly, instead crawling up. They generally aren't smart enough to climb over a 7 ft wall either, said to only breach the wall when their numbers are suffient to climb over the bodies of the other zombies. With enemys like that, I could calmly walk across a potato field (lots of those near my area) knowing that the horde behind me won't be able to cross the uneven ploughed land without stumbling over every step.

Another way to think of it. If you asked 5 soldiers, whether they would rather fight an army of 5000 zombies, or an army of 5000 equal soldiers, which do you think they are going to pick? If zombies are only dangerous in numbers, and are less of a threat than an equal number of humans, then how are they meant to spread?

I like Max Brooks guide, but I can't help but disagree with it on sereval points. Maybe I need to read World War Z to get a better idea of what he's talking about. I've been planning on getting that.

Kusanagi

Chief Nippleseer
Reputation score

While the zombies in Brooks' guide aren't as dangerous as others, they have something most others don't: durability. Most other zombies, sure you have to shoot 'em in the head, but you can be messy about it; or you don't -HAVE- to shoot the head, because a zombie head with no body isn't a threat. If you're messy with Brooks' zombies, the virus will persist, and humanity is fucked. Not to mention that, yeah, the majority of human beings don't see zombies as a real, can-happen threat, so the initial outbreak will be devastating; also that people who don't see it for an outbreak, may not necessarily kill the zombies, merely blow them to bits, but the head will fly somewhere, waiting to bite any passerby.

Sure, I disagree with some of the things; i.e., I think they'll be able to climb, run, jump, etc., but it will take time for the virus to evolve to that level, hopefully enough time that we manage to get people informed as to what to do.

All-in-all, yeah, Brooks' zombies don't seem dangerous, but I'll take the non-viral variety any day.

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

The virus is what makes Max Brook's zombie so devastating, and people's underestimation of them. That's why they kicked ass at the beggining of the Zed war in World War Z. Good book.

The virus was highly contagious, could be spread through water, contact, etc. It was brutal.

Plus, you have to destroy a zombie's brain, so even though we got all this cool technology to kill humans, dosn't always work against zombies.

Tassadar

Panda King
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Don't forget about Dead Alive's zombies, called Braindead in the UK. They were awesome, requiring complete disintegration to be permanently destroyed, head shots weren't enough (at one point a zombies digestive system in it's entirety fell out and it moved independently of the zombie it fell out of,) and could evolve into super-ugly-giant-zombie-monkey-rat things, and even reproduce!
If you haven't seen it, pirate it. Nao.

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Ah... from braindead to Lord of the Rings... good job Peter Jackson

ToxicShock

(And Reputation Manager)
Staff member
Administrator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

I loved Dead Alive. Hilarious to the end.

Nothing beats kung fu priest

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Back to the topic, I think Dead Alive's zombies classify in my fourth category. Like the ones from evil dead they require complete dismemberment. Dead Alive is a better example of this category, as Evil Dead weren't actually zombies.

But Evil Dead did have trees rape a girl.

Tassadar

Panda King
RP Moderator
Reputation score

"I kick ass for the Lord!" Whoever came up with that line is brilliant.

Nunu

Despot
Former Admin
Reputation score

sins fourth type of zombie is pretty much exactly the same as the third type...

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

The third type is the voodoo type, which is more of a controlled slave than anything. They are not necessarily even undead like the other three types. The fourth type, the magic type, is something that is raised by magical forces or needs to be completely dismembered, examples being Diablo I or Dead Alive.

They are not the same.

Nunu

Despot
Former Admin
Reputation score

i think the voodoo zombies would fit more into rage zombies than anything else. but really what culture has turned zombies into is very different from what they actually are historically.

i suppose we must be talking about different classification schemes of zombies then...

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

But voodoo zombies were slaves, whilst Rage zombies were people turned to raving monstrosities by a virus, with no loyalties.

Nunu

Despot
Former Admin
Reputation score

i'm more talking about the recieving end of things.

voodo zombies are likely to only be marginaly tougher than normal people and be capable of performing more complex actions than you half rotten resident evil type (which is really the classic, shambling zombie in my experience). This really makes them not unlike rage zombies.

Diagasvesle

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

That sounds fascinating, but as you say the virus evovles.. Some humans will be immune to it. Some will be turned into demi-gods of flesh.. In fact there are so many possiblities of mutations that it get's ridicoulous. I mean look closely at the virus, if humans make it, there's going to be several different brands of it. Each one different from the other in some way. Zombies probably = super soldiers controlled by the government..

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

We can never be sure what a zombie outbreak would be like. We'll have to wait and see.

ToxicShock

(And Reputation Manager)
Staff member
Administrator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

That's the problem with you humans, you always "wait and see"
See, I'm working on it as we speak. If you want something done, go out and achieve it yourself. That's why one of my daddies used to say.

..Don't make any plans for early june btw, unless they're escape plans. MUHUHAHAHAHAHAHA!!
..get it.... escape... nvm, you'll think it's funny later

Unknown Squid

Aurani's Wife
Reputation score

Indeed, indeed. Who knows how it will be. The virus may even be airborne. Don't leave it too late. Get prepared people.

Did someone say Benelli Nova Tactical?

Last edited: