• Neither. Not a fan of RPGs.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Both. I can't choose.

Votes: 15 50.0%

• Total voters

Lurker
Reputation score
Re: WRPGs or JRPGs?

I think that's just because JRPGs have been around longer. Any WRPG as old as the NES is a swords-and-sorcery affair, I can assure you. Also remember that most of the J stuff we et over here is colored by the pacific ocean- companies wouldn't ship it if they didn't think it was going to sell. It's the same thing as movies: For the most part, we only see their best.

greatone

Lurker
Reputation score

For some reason, I have never been able to stick with a WRPG long enough to enjoy them(unless you want to toss EQ in there). I bought and still have the planescape discs I believe, I'll see what I can do about getting disc 1 up on one of the upload sites for whoever needed. Personally that held my interest longest, but it still didn't last long.

I've played pretty much any JRPG I can get my hands on. Kefka from FF3/6 was always in my opinion the greatest villan ever, though I never finished SO3 so I haven't seen Luthar in action.

Copper

Lurker
Reputation score

Kefka is *such* a bastard. I think he ranks up there among the top evils of RPG games. Sure, some of these guys want to destroy the world, but Kefka? He's just a sonofabitch. Mr. "We can't seige them so lets poison the water supply instead." Fwa hahahaha! (You all can hear the laugh in your heads, I know you can.)

Nunu

Despot
Former Admin
Reputation score

also he sundered the world because he felt like it.

Copper

Lurker
Reputation score

There is that, too, yes. The "If I can't have it, no one can!" mentality.

Megamickel

Lurker
Reputation score

Wait, shit. I don't remember him. Which FF was he in? In Americunt numbers, please, never bothered to learn the Japanese numbers.

Actually only FF that was really memorable for me was FF4 US.

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

No one here has used the Japanese numbers... only Roman Numerals which are pretty common. If you don't know them...

1 = I 2=II 3=III 4=IV 5=V 6=VI 7=VII 8=VIII 9=IX 10=X 11=XI 12=XII 13= XIII

And so it continues.

greatone

Lurker
Reputation score

Wait, shit. I don't remember him. Which FF was he in? In Americunt numbers, please, never bothered to learn the Japanese numbers.

Actually only FF that was really memorable for me was FF4 US.

Kefka was in Final Fantasy 3(SNES).

Final Fantasy 3 for SNES was Final Fantasy 6 in Japan, and on Playstation.

Also it was re-released on the NDS as Final Fantasy 6 Advance, in a slightly extended version.

Copper

Lurker
Reputation score

Crap. Now I have even more of a reason to get a DS. *sighs*

aika

El Presidente
Staff member
Administrator
Reputation score

Having never had the pleasure of meeting Kefka, I may have to purchase this game.

ShadowWolfSBI

Chief Spam Hunter Why Are You Making Me Do This
Former Moderator
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Tip for anyone playing either the SNES version: If you get the glitch where you get a metric fuckton of items, go into the final battle with Economizers and Gem Boxes on everyone. Also make sure they all know Quick and Ultima.

Ultima, Quick, Ultima, Ultima, Ultima, Ultima. All for 6 MP. Annoying-MIDI-Laugh boy don't like that too much...

Haven't gotten that far, so I don't know if it will work on the GBA remake that I've got.

Bob

Lurker
Reputation score

western made ones, they seem to end up better as a general rule, barring the FF title.

SirOni

Demon Girls #1 Fan
Reputation score

Kind of like how Kouldelka (an unusual PS1 game) is connected with ...crap! Braincramp! *runs downstairs* Oh, I hate that...Shadow Hearts and Shadow Hearts Covenant but you'd really never know it from playing them, I think but for a few obscure references.
Oooh, Koudelka! Iloved that game though I never got off the first disc. Mainly because the copy I had only had the fisrt disc that worked. Also, Koudelka is set not far from where I live.

Copper

Lurker
Reputation score

Having never had the pleasure of meeting Kefka, I may have to purchase this game.
Yes, do!

Tip for anyone playing either the SNES version: If you get the glitch where you get a metric fuckton of items, go into the final battle with Economizers and Gem Boxes on everyone. Also make sure they all know Quick and Ultima.

Ultima, Quick, Ultima, Ultima, Ultima, Ultima. All for 6 MP. Annoying-MIDI-Laugh boy don't like that too much...

Haven't gotten that far, so I don't know if it will work on the GBA remake that I've got.
Glitch? This is the first I've heard of this glitch.

Oooh, Koudelka! Iloved that game though I never got off the first disc. Mainly because the copy I had only had the fisrt disc that worked. Also, Koudelka is set not far from where I live.
Havent' started it yet, myself. That is the *other* problem with RPGs. So blasted long, it takes a while to finish, even for a semi-completist like myself.

ShadowWolfSBI

Chief Spam Hunter Why Are You Making Me Do This
Former Moderator
RP Moderator
Reputation score

It's something that has happened to others. If you want, I can PM you what happened, and what I think triggered it.

SirOni

Demon Girls #1 Fan
Reputation score

Now this is what I get for briefly reading things over;

Kefka is *such* a bastard. I think he ranks up there among the top evils of RPG games. Sure, some of these guys want to destroy the world, but Kefka? He's just a sonofabitch. Mr. "We can't seige them so lets poison the water supply instead." Fwa hahahaha! (You all can hear the laugh in your heads, I know you can.)
Kefka, is indeed a bastard. A fucking awesome bastard. I rate him WAY higher than Sephiroth, hell, Sephiroth is below the gender confused boy himself, Kuja, in my list.

Kefka was in Final Fantasy 3(SNES).

Final Fantasy 3 for SNES was Final Fantasy 6 in Japan, and on Playstation.

Also it was re-released on the NDS as Final Fantasy 6 Advance, in a slightly extended version.
And what the fuck!? When the hell was FF6 released on the DS? That flew way under my radar, I think I'll need to buy that next week if I have the money.

And seeing as they've remade FF3 and FF4 for the DS I'm really hoping that they remake FF5, my god I fucking loved that game. Took my time to master EVERY job class and as soon as I got the Red Mage class I didnt stop playing as it with all the characters until I had mastered it. Yes I know, I'm obsessively in love with Red Mages. It kinda scares even me sometimes.

dogstile

Lurker
Reputation score

i prefer WRPGS

not a big fan or JRPGS, not found one that i like yet

my favorite rpg of all time has to be NWN, it was just that good, and its expantions actually made it better

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Neverwinter Nights was indeed great fun, though I never got to play all the way through it. :(

Copper

Lurker
Reputation score

I weep, as I am having graphical issues with NWN2. Still, gives me an excuse to finally finish Icewind Dale 2 (I was looking at a walkthru and realized how close to the end of the game I was when my old computer died *cries*) Now I'm trying my hand at an evil party (and I'm sucking *laughs*) so I have a "good" party for backup and replay *again*.

greatone

Lurker
Reputation score

Ehhh seems like I had a "moment" about FF6, it was rereleased on the GBA, which you can play on the DS.

In related news FF2(US)/FF4(jap) is being remade in 3d for the actual DS.