What's new

RPG RPG Maker [DEVIL'S OFFICE] SHRIFT (RJ209839)

Quite Frankly

Reputation score
Anegorami - which save is your true pacifist route?

Please excuse the bold it is not deliberate.

There is no reason I shouldn't be able to complete this on normal difficulty if I grind my way up. I am also trying to solve puzzles WITHOUT a guide. as that is how teh fun is happens.

Shrifted

Reputation score
There is no reason I shouldn't be able to complete this on normal difficulty if I grind my way up. I am also trying to solve puzzles WITHOUT a guide. as that is how teh fun is happens.
With the latest translation patch the game is definitely playable all the way through without issues. Grinding is really not that useful in this game: If you aren't going Genocide, all you'll be able to get is money, which can only really get you bullets and a few strong healing items. By the time you unlock Tengu's shop that has the really overpowered items, you've probably gotten out of early game hell and the game should be fairly smooth sailing till Daiji in 4-2.

Right now I'm actually doing a completely fresh run on Hard, and cleaning up all the issues in Chapter 1-1's translation caused by the shift over to Gaijinizer way back. Hopefully I'll be able to finish that up soon....

I've also created a shiny, clean new thread for the Translation work: https://ulmf.org/threads/shrift-translation-version-2-0-machine-and-manual-translation.13278/

Last edited:

Anegorami

Reputation score
Anegorami - which save is your true pacifist route?

Grinding is really not that useful in this game: If you aren't going Genocide, all you'll be able to get is money, which can only really get you bullets and a few strong healing items.
The only reason to grind is to get 100% of weapons / armor, since you'll need a pretty big sum of money to buy all those "Customizing Kits". Luckily, you can grind Harpies in EX-1 (Genocide-style), so the post-game money is not a problem.

By the time you unlock Tengu's shop that has the really overpowered items, you've probably gotten out of early game hell and the game should be fairly smooth sailing till Daiji in 4-2.
...With one REALLY annoying enemy in the middle.

ShionK

Reputation score
@Anegorami you didn't reply to this question earlier, so allow me to ask you again: how do you get Real Knife (Edge Dagger?) in this game? The best I got was bloodied fan from Dakki.
you can craft it from the weapons tab in any workbench as long as you have every genocide weapon in the game

Quite Frankly

Reputation score

The only reason to grind is to get 100% of weapons / armor, since you'll need a pretty big sum of money to buy all those "Customizing Kits". Luckily, you can grind Harpies in EX-1 (Genocide-style), so the post-game money is not a problem.

...With one REALLY annoying enemy in the middle.

Thank you for your response!

For the true mercy route, is that the end of the game or is there a final boss that needs to be beat on that save? Also can you explain the rooms?

Also would you recommend me patching the game again in order to make the true pacifist route save compatible?

I know I am prolly never going to achieve the true mercy route and so I'm grateful for whatever you can tell me the save like if its after beating the final boss or not.

I am kind of confused on how I want to play this game should i play with Anegorami's saves or should I just play a blank game with no saves? I copied and pasted all of Anegorami's saves in will that effect the dialogue throughout the whole game for other saves because it shows I supposedly completed other routes that I copied and pasted in?

Basically I have Anegormai's saves as the first 4 save and then I have the 5th save as my genocide route which I am actively playing through,

Shrifted

Reputation score
Thank you for your response!

For the true mercy route, is that the end of the game or is there a final boss that needs to be beat on that save? Also can you explain the rooms?

Also would you recommend me patching the game again in order to make the true pacifist route save compatible?

I know I am prolly never going to achieve the true mercy route and so I'm grateful for whatever you can tell me the save like if its after beating the final boss or not.

I am kind of confused on how I want to play this game should i play with Anegorami's saves or should I just play a blank game with no saves? I copied and pasted all of Anegorami's saves in will that effect the dialogue throughout the whole game for other saves because it shows I supposedly completed other routes that I copied and pasted in?

Basically I have Anegormai's saves as the first 4 save and then I have the 5th save as my genocide route which I am actively playing through,
Aneogorami's saves might be impossible to play through on the mercy route, though. There is a "system save" of sorts which is shared over all save files and effects a lot of things such as Mind Corruption penalties and affection, as well as some more spoilery things. The Genocide route will "permanently" bar you off from a lot of Mercy route mechanics (barring password shenanigans). Honestly, it's really best to start completely fresh if you want to play SHRIFT.

As for True Mercy/Mercy:

You will need to be bonded with all girls (merely unlocking a few of them can be quite a challenge), have no kills, and have no assists from Hell's Gate by the time you reach 4-2 and beat the second boss. If you've done everything correctly, you will get an option to spare her and move on to Chapter 4-3. If you miss it the first go around, it shouldn't be too hard to get it in a NG+ (which is what I did).

Quite Frankly

Reputation score
Aneogorami's saves might be impossible to play through on the mercy route, though. There is a "system save" of sorts which is shared over all save files and effects a lot of things such as Mind Corruption penalties and affection, as well as some more spoilery things. The Genocide route will "permanently" bar you off from a lot of Mercy route mechanics (barring password shenanigans). Honestly, it's really best to start completely fresh if you want to play SHRIFT.

As for True Mercy/Mercy:

You will need to be bonded with all girls (merely unlocking a few of them can be quite a challenge), have no kills, and have no assists from Hell's Gate by the time you reach 4-2 and beat the second boss. If you've done everything correctly, you will get an option to spare her and move on to Chapter 4-3. If you miss it the first go around, it shouldn't be too hard to get it in a NG+ (which is what I did).
Thank you for your response, i do hope that Aneogorami tries to answer the question as he probably knows best.

Anegorami

Reputation score
For the true mercy route, is that the end of the game or is there a final boss that needs to be beat on that save?
All the saves are made at the final possible save location. For Genocide route it is the final savepoint before the battle with Hyakki Oni (since this is the only route that transfers you all the way to the main menu instead of spawning in Clear Room). For other routes the save was made in said Clear Room after the final boss was defeated.

Also can you explain the rooms?
Clear Room is the post-game version of My Room where all the devils are living. You can't (legally) go there during Genocide route walkthrough.
From this room you can enter any of the devils' rooms, go to the library or to the lab.

In the private rooms you can talk with the corresponding devils or ask them to milk you a little.
In the library you can access Devil's Codex that contains entries about the devils and their methods of raping.
In the lab you can use Delusion Capsule to watch some scenes that can't be accessed by normal means and buy some useful items.

My save should work on any 5.XX version of the game (it was made on non-translated 5.01, for now I'm not planning to update it until EX-2 is released).

The game saves carry-over data in the special file called "PublicData.rvdata2". Any data stored in that file WILL affect the gameplay. For example, if you try to do a Genocide run with my PublicData (which is saved with the True Mercy data), you may encounter some differences in the devil's dialogue. So, if you want to play the game yourself you should start without any PublicData present.

The Genocide route will "permanently" bar you off from a lot of Mercy route mechanics (barring password shenanigans).
WRONG!
The only "permanent" change that is made is the main menu image. Every other Genocide route effect can be cleared (you'll have to do some extra work for it tho), so you CAN do a Soulless Pacifist run (G => N => TM).

P.S.
I'm finally back to modding Shrift and this time I'm seriously learning Ruby to rewrite some of the RPGM code. This is my first small victory:

Separate menu for Revenge Data loading is gone. Route and difficulty-specific info is gone as well, since I'm not planning to use the said features in the mod (that is too much for little old me). Also, there is a special slot for storing Chapter Data which is saved at the beginning of the chapter before any (possibly fatal) decisions are made.

Quite Frankly

Reputation score
Anegorami thank you for answering, you answered a lot of relevant questions that i think was confusing, I want to ask you more about the carry over data "PublicData.rvdata2" do you happen to have or are willing to share a true mercy carry over save? I've observed the differences you're talking about in the genocide carry over dialogue change with the iron maiden and wondering what the dialog would be for true mercy carry over, can you even get true mercy carry over data if you are killing new enemies in the new game and doing a genocide route with the previously carried over true mercy .rvdata2 ? thanks for answering these questions.

AleGMaster

Demon Girl
Reputation score
I have one question, because I'm little confused....
all theses ci-en rewards are content to the game?
just curious to know

Shrifted

Reputation score
I have one question, because I'm little confused....
all theses ci-en rewards are content to the game?
just curious to know
They're both downloadable DLCs which unlock a Memento you can visit in the game.

Anegorami

Reputation score
do you happen to have or are willing to share a true mercy carry over save?
Unfortunately, I'm not planning to clear the game from scratch again, so feel free to ask around for a True Mercy data - my PublicData is already corrupted with Genocide route playthrough.

can you even get true mercy carry over data if you are killing new enemies in the new game and doing a genocide route with the previously carried over true mercy .rvdata2 ?
PublicData is saved when you use any savepoint, so no, the only way to get True Mercy carry-over data is to spare every devil and clear the game on True Mercy ending.

More detailed information on how the game works (I tried to make the explanation as spoilerless as possible):
The first time you murder a devil AND save after it the special Violence flag is set. After annihilating a whole devil family (for example, killing 10 Barghests or Lampases, for greater devils, like Empuse or Akane a sole kill is enough since they're unique) another two flags are set - Murderer and Murderer: <type> (where <type> is the name of annihilated devils). And, finally, after you clear Genocide route the final flag Corrupted is set.

During True Mercy route however, another set of flags is used. First one is Mercy - the counterpart of Violence, spare any devil to get it. The second two are Friend and Friend: <type> - again, the counterparts (befriend the devils to get them). And, of course, the final True Mercy flag - Pure, which is set after True Mercy route is clear.

Also, there is an Affection value for every devil. It may vary from 0 ~ 100 (the positive part, shown during the dialogue) and from 0 ~ 100 (the negative part, always hidden). There are lots of info on this thread about positive affection, so I will cover only the negative one. Negative affection is obtained by killing and killing alone. The more you have the more aggressive the devils are. Also, if you try to raise any devil's affection to 100 (to watch her ending, for example) the negative part will be deducted from the positive, dropping the affection level all the way back to zero (in the worst-case scenario). On the bright side, the negative affection is cleared this way, so you can raise the positive one again and have a devil-specific ending anyway.

The effects are the following:
Encounter Chance - increased with Violence, decreased with Mercy, default with both.
Devil combat proficiency - increased with Murderer, further increased with Murder: <type> if the type is matching, decreased with Friend, further decreased with Friend: <type>. Also, there are two special cases (both are rare tho) - if you have a 100 of negative affection, the devil may rape you on sight without giving you a turn (the same effect as from a LV5 curse). If you have a 100 of positive affection however the devil may let you go without a fight. Again, both are extremely rare (with the negative one being slightly more common), so for any practical purpose those two are non-existent. And, of course, those cannot occur during the boss fights (imagine Daji letting you go).

Now, about the dialogue. During the dialogue there are one simple rule:
For NG+ only the positive flags are checked. For normal game it's either only positive, only negative or neutral when none/both are set (pretty close to XOR). The sole exception from this rule is the one particular dialogue of one particular person - it's triggered ONLY when you have BOTH Pure and Corrupted flags set as well as all the devils' personal endings.

So, possible dialogue variations are:
NG+ - none, as you can't kill the devils you're befriended with.
Normal game: neutral => G (the first Genocide playthrough), G => G (killing the devils again after Genocide route), G => TM (saving the devils after Genocide route, check out that Lampas face), neutral => TM (the first True Mercy playthrough), TM => TM (saving the devils again after True Mercy route, playfulness 1000%), TM => G (killing the devils after True Mercy route, check out that Lampas face [2] because Lampas is da waifu).

That must be all of it.

Last edited:

Lazzarus

Lurker
Reputation score
Anegorami thank you for answering, you answered a lot of relevant questions that i think was confusing, I want to ask you more about the carry over data "PublicData.rvdata2" do you happen to have or are willing to share a true mercy carry over save? I've observed the differences you're talking about in the genocide carry over dialogue change with the iron maiden and wondering what the dialog would be for true mercy carry over, can you even get true mercy carry over data if you are killing new enemies in the new game and doing a genocide route with the previously carried over true mercy .rvdata2 ? thanks for answering these questions.
TMR Save

Last edited:

FloofyIsGood

Reputation score
@Anegorami one more question: at the end of Genocide route, does it matter if Kazuya lends a hand to Hyakki or chooses to attack her? Besides the ending you get, I'm interested in how future playthroughs are affected (spoilers are fine)

Anegorami

Reputation score
@Anegorami one more question: at the end of Genocide route, does it matter if Kazuya lends a hand to Hyakki or chooses to attack her? Besides the ending you get, I'm interested in how future playthroughs are affected (spoilers are fine)
It does. "Pardon End" is technically a neutral ending and the game treats it as such - moving the player to Clear Room and giving him all the bonuses (like an ability to start NG+), unlike three Genocide ending variations (Genocide, Merciless and Hypocrite) which are moving the player straight to the glitchy main menu without giving any game clear rewards. Also, since Pardon is a neutral ending, Corrupted flag isn't set (so no secret dialogue or bloody main menu image for you), but you will still get Genocide dialogue variation (and all the penalties of negative affection).