What's new

Exploration CYOA

Alias

Lurker
Reputation score
Well, after the dismal failure of my first attempt at a CYOA (too complex, not enough time to invest), I've decided to try another one. This one I will attempt to write out the sex/rape scenes, although I'll warn you that it will most likely be in a somewhat abstract form that leaves more to your imagination rather than going into overly explicit detail. The premise is treasure hunting - really, it's a form of Indiana Jones. I'll be designing temples, caves, and ruins for you all to explore and hopefully nab some expensive artifacts to fence.
The heroine, who will probably remain unnamed, has just been released from prison after getting arrested for theft of a precious relic. Your job is to acquire funds from the ruins and purchase equipment that will help her on her next adventures. And without further ado...

After she was finally released from the prison she had lounged in for the past few months, she wandered around town, trying to gather her bearings. Thankfully, the little place hadn't changed much while she was incarcerated, but she needed a way to earn some cash - and fast. Her personal effects had been noticeably reduced from what she remembered when the officials had returned them to her - including her money. She only had ten gold, her trusty grappling hook, and the clothes on her back to her name.

Of course, she wasn't about to give up her way of life just because she'd been captured by the authorities; she would just have to be a little more careful on her next jobs. Because that's what her job was, really - she was a professional thief, an acquisitioner of rare artifacts and expensive relics. Heading back to her old haunt, she learned of a relatively easy job - just an old temple which was rumored to be hiding a gold idol within its depths. She'd need to purchase supplies, though. There was no way she was going down there as unprepared as she was. This particular merchant didn't really have a very wide selection, but he did have a couple rare items of interest...

Current funds: 10G
Merchant's wares:

Tentacle ward: 1500G
This is an amulet that is rumored to be a ward of some sort against tentacle creatures. Good luck getting your hands on one, though!

Restorative potion (1mL): 2G
This is a wondrous potion that will re-energize the drinker. However, for this cheap of a price, it really won't have much of an effect...

Restorative potion (10mL): 20G
A bit more of the restorative potion, held in a lightweight flask instead of a tiny tube. This will help somewhat, but really should only be used for minor recovery.

Restorative potion (100mL): 50G
Of course you'll be rewarded with a better deal when you buy in bulk. This holds ten times the amount of potion than usual, and will even give you more than one usage with just one flask!

Never-ending flask: 700G
This wondrous flask (strangely, it's somewhat cold to the touch) will store an almost infinite amount of any liquid! Popular with adventurers like her, it's a fantastic tool for traveling light yet being prepared for anything. But look at that price tag....

Adventurer's clothes: 5G
A set of nondescript clothes for women. Occasionally, when spelunking and running and jumping and doing the other things adventurer's are required to do (not to mention those dastardly monsters...), her clothes may get ripped, burned, frayed, stolen, removed, or otherwise destroyed, so it's always handy to have a spare set in your satchel.

Short Sword: 30G
Your basic sword, handy for defense against any who might wish you harm. Efficient, lightweight, inexpensive, and of course sharp, you can't go wrong with this purchase!

[Just post what you'd like her to buy and in what quantity. Remember, right now you only have 10G to spend. Basic exploration necessities such as food, water, torches and such will always be with you so you won't have to worry about such things.]

Setting off toward the ruins, she found it within a few days; it wasn't too much of a hike. The only problem with the journey was that it was sort of in the desert - rather hot and very dry. Once she entered the heavy stone doors, however, she found that it was quite cool within the stone halls, and wiped the sweat off her brow in relief. She pulled out a torch and lit it, and was immediately faced with a choice - the path split off into separate directions in a strange Y-shape. Which to head down...? The one to the left seemed to slope downward. Logic reasoned that the idol was kept as deep in the ruins as possible. However, as she peered down it, holding the torch high, she caught a strange glistening coming off the walls as it curved out of sight, a shimmering that was absent from the hallways curving off to the right. She felt a sense of foreboding from that glistening... as if it was the precursor to something rather unpleasant.

Choice 1:
A: Head down the left path.
B: Head down the right path.

Update: Here are the current rules I'm using for this CYOA.

This spoiler is the important stuff: You can fail quests, and you can die. There are hefty penalties to both. I'd suggest reading this section.

I'd like to keep this CYOA as simple as possible, in contrast to my last one, allowing more room for creativity. There are, however, going to be several mechanics to determine failures and successes and Game Overs.

First off, yes, you can fail quests. Breaking a door that is the only path to the goal is one way - if you can't get to the treasure, you'll fail the quest and lose half your gold (in addition to whatever supplies you may have used on your trip).

You can also get a Game Over. If you get a Game Over, the story stops. There is no restarting, no second chances, no nothing. There are two methods to getting a GO. First, you can die. Some traps in the dungeons we'll encounter will be lethal, and if we don't avoid them, our brave heroine will go the way of many other adventurers before her, her bones joining the rest of the unnamed masses. The other method is getting trapped by a creature with no way out. For example, certain tentacle monsters actually have the capability of developing a symbiotic relationship with a woman they ensnare, feeding off of her while providing her with nourishment and enough nutrients for her to last more or less indefinitely in its grasp (all while fucking her brains out, of course!). However, there are methods of placating even these frightening creatures even if trapped in one's clutches. There are rumors that breast milk can actually lull these creatures into a comatose state for a short time.... But of course that's never been confirmed.

Anyway, the point of all that is this: let's say we do get trapped by one of these monsters, there will always be some sort of way to deal with them - if we have prepared appropriately! If we don't have whatever item we need to break free of the trap, it's Game Over. This is why we always want to be as well-equipped as possible when venturing into a dungeon!

This spoiler section is just for those curious as to how I'm determining successes or failures on our various activities. Helpful, but not essential for you to play.

Old rules:
As for the mechanics of determining whether or not our adventurer succeeds or fails in her activities, I'm going to be using a very simple Stamina/Health system. We have twenty possible Exhaustion, starting at zero. Lots of things contribute to Exhaustion. Passage of time, getting wounded, exerting strenuous effort all contribute. Being raped the most notable of these, each rape session dealing a significant amount of Exhaustion damage. Every point of Exhaustion equals -1 to all dice rolls. Based on the difficulty of whatever task we're trying to accomplish, I will more or less arbitrarily assign a number to beat with our trusty d20, which will range from one to twenty.

Example: When attempting to infiltrate an orc camp, scaling a ten-foot fort wall with a grappling hook would likely have a difficulty of 2. Only a roll of 1 would fail this check if we have just set out on our quest. However, if we've just emerged from a dungeon, we're probably tired from our quest... let's say the passage of time has given us Exhaustion +2. We're a little tired, but the task is still pretty easy (rolling 4-20 is success). Let's say we almost got caught in a deadly trap of blades and got scraped up a bit... Exhaustion +2. Let's furthermore say that we failed a certain riddle and got raped. Getting raped is the heaviest contributor toward Exhaustion... this one only lasted an hour or two, but we're still getting Exhaustion +5 from it, for a total of Exhaustion +9. Now our heroine is dead on her feet tired, and even a task as simple as throwing a grappling hook over a wall and climbing it is just as likely to fail as it is to succeed. The check for this hypothetical situation would be a whopping 11, requiring a roll of 11-20 to succeed.

Potions will reduce this number, but the best way to keep ourselves out of the danger zone is... duh.... rest! Resting will be more or less possible whenever we want to. However, if we're in a dungeon, most of the area will be deemed "unsafe." This means that if we decide to rest, there will be a die roll. If we fail, there will be a random encounter with a monster... and we won't be rested for the encounter. However, I will let you know if we discover a "safe" area for us to rest in - there will almost always be at least one in every dungeon. Although it will usually be hidden, we can always return to it to rest once we've found it.
Current rules:
[I'm changing the rules of exhaustion a bit. I'll be calling it Stress, but it's really going to refer to Exhaustion/Stress. I'm also dividing any actions that require a die roll into three levels of difficulty, appropriately dubbed easy, medium, and hard. Exhaustion will also be divided into levels, and depending on what level we're at, we'll get a penalty to rolls for each task. Here's the chart:

0-5 Stress: no penalties
6-10 Stress: -2 for hard tasks, -1 to medium tasks, no change for easy tasks
11-15 Stress: -5 for hard, -3 for medium, -2 for easy, she'll most likely have to take a short break after any actions requiring a roll
16-20 Stress: -10 to hard, -7 to medium, -5 to easy, she'll be desperate for a rest, and must lie down for a while after any actions requiring a roll. May fall asleep, which may lead to an encounter with a monster.
21+ Stress: -15 to hard, -10 to medium, -10 to easy, she might simply pass out from the strain, which will almost certainly lead to an encounter with a monster, and almost certainly lead to an inescapable situation... ie game over

I'm also allowing players to attempt to leave the dungeon any time they want. This is mostly because there are going to be some dungeons that are unbeatable until you get an item from another dungeon, so once we run out of things to do, we simply leave and come back another time. (Hint: this is why you always want to keep a reserve of gold available.) I'll be putting a "leave dungeon" option available whenever applicable.

Last edited:

Kathy

Lurker
Reputation score
Re: Exploration CYOA

(I've learned a lot from my CYOA, and can give you a few tips if you'd like, just drop me a PM.)

Uhm... A. If she's going to get scared of everything right away, she shouldn't be in the dungeon crawl business. Better to test out the traps and monsters near the beginning of the dungeon so we know what to expect deeper. Imagine avoiding all the traps until we get to the very end, and suddenly get something insanely nasty, and we're totally unprepared!

As for buying... Nothing for now. We shouldn't need healing yet. And we can always go back to town (I think). Better to save our gold for something more useful (like a sword).

Diagasvesle

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

B. Head down the left path to tentacle ward

Keylo

Lurker
Reputation score

A. Left path... I think. There's two A's :V...

Reputation score

I'm not sure.. hmm. A or A...... so - I think I decide for A ;P

kay.. serious now: Right into the glistening thing, I would say - It's always better to use the way with the obvious traps..

Buying.. hmm maybe clothes IF there is a need to buy something.

OP
A

Alias

Lurker
Reputation score

Oops, haha. Sorry about that! The second option is (obviously) supposed to be B. I'll edit the post now.

Impatient and woken up early by construction, so since the options seem to be 4-0 in favor of going down the path with the slime, I'll just make the next post now...

Exhaustion: 0
Gold: 10
Equipment:
Grappling Hook

She peered down the left hallway, trying to make out what it was that the greenish hue of the walls might be hinting at, but her torchlight didn't extend far enough. Well, she had always had a habit of taking the most dangerous-looking path first - that was usually where the best treasure was kept.

She began slinking down the path, eyes scanning the floor and walls for possible traps. She found none until the corridor opened up into a larger room, one in which the floor sloped downward. She noticed that the air seemed more humid in this room than the dry hallway she'd just emerged from, and the source was immediately apparent: in the basin of the room was a large pool of slowly shifting green slime, phosphorescent and clearly alive. It was far too wide to jump across; she'd either have to wade in the muck or find another way of crossing.

She'd encountered this type of creature before, of course. Green slimes were hardy, lasting many, many years without needing to move or even much sustenance. They made ideal traps for unwary thieves, for they wouldn't break down like machinery or be persuaded to leave their posts like human guards. Luckily, there was a simple way past them - they reacted to live biological mass, so if you had a decent set of rubber hip-waders you could typically just walk right through them.

Unfortunately, our adventurer didn't have a set of quality waders in her pack. Her boots did come almost to her knees, but with no way to tell how deep the slime went, she had no way of knowing whether or not she could successfully navigate the slime to the other side.

Peering around the room, her sharp eyes did spot a possible alternate method of crossing - breaking through the ceiling of the stone room was a rather large root, which seemed sturdy enough to hold her weight if she could manage to grapple it. The only problem with that method was that it was somewhat past the halfway point of the crossing; she would have to be careful on the swing across not to be grabbed by the slime at the lowest point of the pendulum swing.

Choice:
A: Attempt to wade across, using boots as protection. (No danger as long as the slime doesn't reach up past the line of her boots; we just need to keep it away from her skin. Clothes are too thin to serve as adequate protection, but the leather boots should serve nicely.)
B: Attempt to grapple the root and swing across. The lowest point of the swing will most likely submerge her in the slime, and even if just her boots touch the surface, the slime will most likely react to the speed of the impact and reflexively grab her, so she'll have to be somewhat agile.

Last edited:
OP
A

Alias

Lurker
Reputation score

Double posting cuz important stuffs is happened.

I've updated the original post with the mechanics of this particular game. The rules will always be in the first post, and I'll always post if I ever change them. I'd suggest reading them, as you can die in this CYOA and there are no continues.

Kathy

Lurker
Reputation score

(ow.. what? Why on earth would we lose half our gold for breaking a door that ends our quest? if the door doesn't work anymore, shouldn't we just casually walk away, lose whatever we spent on the quest, and that be the end of it?

Not that I mind that you want a GO to be severe and actually have an impact, but that first part just seems a bit silly.)

B! No sense in having a grappling hook if we don't use it, right? Besides, if we were to walk through the slime, leather is already organic based material and may set the slime off (if a bit more gradually), not to mention, one quick mis-step and we're suddenly falling face-first in the goo. If it's already moving, then this seems very likely to happen... and that's not even considering that whoever left the slime here, if it genuinely is a trap, probably knew full well us pesky adventurers are going to try simply wading through, and put a hole somewhere near the center, just to spite us.

So without question, grappling time.

OP
A

Alias

Lurker
Reputation score

(ow.. what? Why on earth would we lose half our gold for breaking a door that ends our quest? if the door doesn't work anymore, shouldn't we just casually walk away, lose whatever we spent on the quest, and that be the end of it?

Not that I mind that you want a GO to be severe and actually have an impact, but that first part just seems a bit silly.)
The cost of provisions and travel. This cost will be deducted from the price you fetch for each artifact you retrieve as well. Just because you don't have to worry about purchasing food and drink and such doesn't mean they don't exist =)

TentanariX

Lurker
Reputation score

B. I would say just for the account of not knowing exactly how agile we are, but we always could end up simply slipping or miss stepping and falling in there for good, with the grappling hook it will hopefully be quick enough to avoid slimey rape.

OP
A

Alias

Lurker
Reputation score

[4-0 so far in favor of grappling, so I'm going to go ahead and make the next post before I have to leave for work.]

Choice B (Attempt to grapple across)

Deciding that the root's placement wasn't far enough away to truly hamper her ability to swing across, she planted her torch in a nearby bracket and unwound her grappling hook from her waist, keeping the end fastened to her belt just in case she lost her grip. She made two unsuccessful swings before finding the range, then neatly snaked the barbed hooks around the root. She pulled several times, hard, but the root didn't budge, and she judged it was safe to carry her weight. Because of the distance, however, and the proximity of the slime, she'd sort of have to shimmy up the rope as she was swinging. It shouldn't be too hard for someone with her agility, but she took a moment to mentally prepare anyway.

Getting a running headstart, she leapt out into space, quickly running her hands along the rope to get closer to the root - and further away from the hazardous slime below. There was a horrible, breathtaking moment when her hands slipped, and her boots skimmed the surface of the slime, but not deeply enough for it to be able to get a purchase onto her. With a woosh of air, she landed catlike on the opposite side of the room. Bringing forth another torch from her pack, she let it flame into life, lighting the ominous room with cheery firelight.

Looking back, following the line with her eyes and seeing that she had gotten the metal barbs hooked into the stern wood of the root, she realized she'd have to leave the tool here - the angle would be better for freeing it once she made her way back across this room. Hoping she wouldn't need it, she unfastened the line from her belt and tied around another nearby torch bracket, well above the slime's surface, which was roiling slightly from the brief contact she'd made with it. Shivering at the thought of that, she held up her torch and moved down the dark hallway, at the end of which was hopefully some sort of reward.

After moving through a small antechamber, she found herself in another room, somewhat smaller than the one with the slime trap, only perhaps three paces from end to end. There were two archways opposite from one another; one that she had just entered through and one at the far end of the hall. On either side of both archways were two stone golems, vaguely humanoid in shape. Oddly, all four of them were glowing a dull rust-red color... not enough that she would have been comfortable putting out her torch, but enough that she was sure she'd be able to see them if she did. They seemed to be uniform in shape. The ones on the far end, however, carried wickedly sharp-looking axes, and held them crossways in front of the archway, past which she could see a shelf with some sort of crystal, displayed by a wire pedestal holding it up. Oddly enough, there was an empty rack fastened to one wall, which seemed to have at one point held vials or bottles of some sort. She wondered what it was for, slightly disappointed that it seemed whatever it carried had been used up long ago.

From the glowing, she was sure that the humanoid structures were enchanted in some way, and she very much doubted that they would simply let her take the crystal without reacting to her presence. As she cautiously approached the two with the axes, she was proven correct. Points of red began to glow brighter where their eyes would have been, and dull voices intoned the following riddle:

I am flat yet deep,
I am beautiful yet ugly,
I give both death and life,
I am incorruptible yet seduce the hearts of many men,
I am yielding as a woman's breast yet strong enough to topple mountains,
I have been conquered, yet remain untamed,
No man may own me, yet all men must own a part of me,
I am more powerful than the Pharoah himself.

It was a riddle of some sort, and she thought about it for several moments before slowly moving forward and extending her hand toward the crystal. Instantly the two golems' eyes glowed brighter, and she was repelled by some sort of magical field, knocked back a couple steps. The golems slammed the butts of their weapons against the stone beneath them, and repeated the phrase in the same ritual monotone. Clearly she wasn't going to just sneak past them, and she suspected that if she tried again, she would pay for it. She would simply have to answer the riddle. Several answers presented themselves to her, but she had to choose one...

A: Time
B: Love
C: Riddles
D: Food
E: War
F: Ocean

Exhaustion: 0
Gold: 10
Equipment:
None

TentanariX

Lurker
Reputation score

For some reason I've got to say B: Love. It makes the most sense to me.

Reputation score

hmm.. Love or Time..

I think I say A - for time.. I think it can't be one of the other answers..

Kathy

Lurker
Reputation score

The cost of provisions and travel. This cost will be deducted from the price you fetch for each artifact you retrieve as well. Just because you don't have to worry about purchasing food and drink and such doesn't mean they don't exist =)
Already suggested better system in PMs, but just to reiterate: This means the wealthier we get before starting a new dungeon, the more we lose, with no real reason behind it, which is why I think it's more than a bit silly.

As for the vote. Meh, pass. I know the answer already.

DeMatt

Lurker
Reputation score

As for the vote. Meh, pass. I know the answer already.
Psh. Considering that the result of a wrong answer, here, isn't going to be smexy-time, but beatstickings at the hands of the golems, you should still vote.

Speaking of which, I vote F - the ocean.

OAMP

Turtle Poker
Reputation score

F - The Ocean

Keylo

Lurker
Reputation score

Eh...the only options available to us?...I'd argue another thing...but the Ocean for now.