What's new

Games Discussion Thread

Copper

Lurker
Reputation score
Re: Games Discussion Thread

Instead of that, he decided that Sten might as well go in unarmed and see how things went. The scene was awesome, as an unarmed Sten fells scores of rushing dark spawn with nothing but his fists, seemingly with ease. Finally charging fearlessly at the alpha ogre that arrives at the end, taking it down in solo combat, and performing the finisher with out a weapon. Ended up looking like Sten just ripped the ogres heart out with his bare hands.

Went from level one baggage handler to mighty bare knuckle ogre slayer in the course of five minutes. A true hero.
I'm almost tempted to do that during a battle with an ogre to see that. Hmm, watching my friend today, reminds me that there's two of them in the Dalish woods. That's two opportunities. And I am playing on Casual this time through.

Hah. Sounds awesome. I may have to search youtube for something like that.

In other news, is indeed making a return as a party member. was announced as well.
Want Alistair and Wynne--as party members, tyvm. *makes generally grumbly noises* And I managed to see the Mhairi trailer a bit ago. Just didn't mention it. Also, Penny Arcade is doing a webcomic (don't remember if I mentioned this before or not.) They did one for Origins and now they're doing one for . There's also a "cut" scene that a Deviant Artist Aimo (who does some really nice work) and game writer David Gaider put up that fleshes things out prior to Morrigan speaking to you of the ritual. Link

Oh my fucking GOD I loved Sten. Easily the best character in the whole damn game. I hated that I had to bench him, since I already had Alistair and myself (a twohander dwarf berserker/champion), plus I was playing as a good guy and he generally didn't like that. I may have him in my healer-mage + morrigan + main character mage group, just because I like him so much, even though I'd prefer a rogue.
I'd love to use Sten with my Assassin/Duelist I'm working on currently, but he doesn't like me too well because I'm a woman. Plus, the dog's doing better than him whenever I use him currently. Which is sad, because Sten pretty much made my mage run-through easy as hell, with him sitting on the front lines soaking up the damage and spitting just as much back out.
Yeah, Sten isn't exactly the easiest bastard to please, but he has some *damn* good lines if you keep him in your party. I particularly enjoyed taking him along to get his sword back *evil grin* And yeah, I'm finding that being a rogue yourself makes things very easy, but I do want to explore the warrior aspects, too. And, of course, mage. I love, though, the Mark of Death + Dirty fighting + whichever skill it is that lets you backstab stunned foes. *grins* Still, Sten + Ysaris = Revenant beatdown machine!

Kusanagi

Chief Nippleseer
Reputation score

The only problem I'm having as a Rogue right now is those blasted Emmisaries and their 'curse of mortality' shit. Get 2 Emmissaries in one encounter + I'm a squishy rogue at current = I die. No questions about it. Usually Alistair as well. The dog out-survives everyone somehow, not taking health pots into account, and Alistair's using his Fortress or w/e sustained ability o_O

Copper

Lurker
Reputation score

Ugh. Yes. Hate Emissaries. This is why you use bows to lure them away from the main horde. Or kill them first.

Lucas

Lurker
Reputation score

I just now realized something.

In Resident Evil 5, the guy who found the sacred flowers in Africa in the 1800's was an explorer by the name of Henry Travis.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF--

Kusanagi

Chief Nippleseer
Reputation score

AHA. Now I remember what I meant to pick on DA for when I first started playing it. WHAT THE FUCK is with Bohdan's prices. He says I'm getting a discount, but there's no way in HELL it feels like I'm getting a discount. If anything, it feels like he's pricing things UP. Maybe it's because I never really bothered with him late game, I dunno, but his prices always seemed a bit much to me. His armor, okay priced. His weapons, well I don't know, since he never has anything 'normal' in stock to compare. His 'other' stuff, like belts/amulets/rings, feels a bit pricey, but I found most of the stuff in the 'other' category that I wore, so I never payed attention to that. AROUND 8 GOLD FOR A BACKPACK?!? Fuck off, Bohdan. I'll just use that bag of holding mod I found. Provided it doesn't fuck up like a couple of the people who commented on it said it did to them.

Incubus

Horn Dog
Reputation score

AROUND 8 GOLD FOR A BACKPACK?!? Fuck off, Bohdan. I'll just use that bag of holding mod I found. Provided it doesn't fuck up like a couple of the people who commented on it said it did to them.
Ah, yes, cheating. The perfect response to "overpriced" ingame items.

Seriosuly, by the end I had more gold than I knew what to do with. I must have thrown over 100 gold at Redcliffe's troops "just cuz"

Kusanagi

Chief Nippleseer
Reputation score

Ah, yes, cheating. The perfect response to "overpriced" ingame items.

Seriosuly, by the end I had more gold than I knew what to do with. I must have thrown over 100 gold at Redcliffe's troops "just cuz"
That's the thing, though. At least for me, by the time I could easily afford even just half of Bohdan's stuff, it all sucked in comparison to what I already had, the bags were about all I bought because those were the only things worth it. If his prices scaled by your level, I'd understand, but 8 gold for a backpack immediately after leaving Lothering, after having the backpack cost only 60 silver in Ostagar, is a bit of a price jump. Even 5 gold would be pretty bad IMO, but I'd deal with it better.
Yeah, you can argue that you don't need the backpack early game, but I seem to have the worst luck with loot. And by that I mean I tend to get a helluva lot of loot drops and I never have enough space. Hell, just running through Redcliffe filled up the measly 90-space inventory I had by the time I was about 3/4 of the way through. I predict it to be worse on my rogue, because now I'll be able to open doors and chests I couldn't before (Yes, I know Leilana is a rogue, but on my first run, I had no clue what to do with her other than use her for utility, so she sucked in combat, therefore leading me to keep her out of combat zones, and this time around I already have myself for the rogue).

And it's not cheating. It's "enhancing gameplay". :p
Meh, the bag is getting too many mixed reviews for me to want to even try it anyways >.<

OP
Rule 34

Rule 34

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

You got the backpack thing upside down. They're outrageously cheap at the merchant in Ostagar. You can't find them under 5 sovereigns afterwards, so Bodahn's prices are reasonable. And I agree, towards the end I had so much money that I actually bought that enormously expensive Elven axe that Bodahn has for sale - it costs about 132 sovereigns.

EDIT: The Duelist specialization's final ability makes you deliver a critical hit with every strike. If you want to play your rogue a bit more straight-forward, I can't imagine an ability that would suit better.

Last edited:

Copper

Lurker
Reputation score

Don't forget, too, that you can actually buy *two* backpacks from the weaponmaster at Ostagar (I found this out *after* Lothering on my first playthrough.) You can buy a backpack from him once when you're in camp after Duncan cuts you loose (oh, and, btw, if you get caught stealing in the camp, there's a conversation between Duncan and a guard captain that I just knew had to have been about me *innocent whistling*) and then after you come back from the Wilds, you can purchase another one. I also found a similar "merchant duplication" thing in Redcliff. I bought stuff from Lloyd, the bartender, and then hustled his fat ass out to fight, leaving Bella in charge. When I talked to her again about supplies, she had some of the stuff I just bought (I know, because I bought the 'ale' gift twice.)

Awakenings in 10 days. Glee! There's a new video up, featuring the Scary ogre is scary. Also, friend I shared this with pointed out "Hahah! Someone commented 'Wonder if the talking darkspawn will be a romance option."

Obeliskos

Tentacle God
Reputation score

I just now realized something.

In Resident Evil 5, the guy who found the sacred flowers in Africa in the 1800's was an explorer by the name of Henry Travis.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF--

also tried the Just Cause 2 demo. what the fuck is all I can say. I latched somebody onto a car and watched it drag them off, latched onto a motorcycle to speed off, then jumped onto a moving car to shoot down my pursuers.

Copper

Lurker
Reputation score

also tried the Just Cause 2 demo. what the fuck is all I can say. I latched somebody onto a car and watched it drag them off, latched onto a motorcycle to speed off, then jumped onto a moving car to shoot down my pursuers.
Yay? Sounds like a more detailed GTA if you ask me, and I mean that in a good way.

Kusanagi

Chief Nippleseer
Reputation score

@Copper: Yeah, I know about the backpack thing in Ostagar. I found out on my first play-through because I check shops every time I enter and re-enter an area.

@Rule: Cool, I was already going to go Duelist as soon as I could anyways.

TheWeirdOne

KICK ME
Reputation score

Zomg got the SC2 beta key today!

It's awesome even if I suck!

Copper

Lurker
Reputation score

SC2? As in Star Craft 2? *arches brow* I have a friend who might be insanely jealous of you for that one.

TheWeirdOne

KICK ME
Reputation score

SC2? As in Star Craft 2? *arches brow* I have a friend who might be insanely jealous of you for that one.
BWA HA HA HA HA HA

Let the world know that the world's noobiest RTS player managed to get a SC2 Beta thing!

HA HA HA HA.

Copper

Lurker
Reputation score

*laughs* More power to you. Maybe you'll help make it playable for those of us that suck at RTS!

Pheonix Alugere

Former Moderator
Reputation score

I always had the most fun in the use map settings area. Also, does a map editor come with the game like it did last time?

Incubus

Horn Dog
Reputation score

I always had the most fun in the use map settings area. Also, does a map editor come with the game like it did last time?
Yes. Blizzard are

OP
Rule 34

Rule 34

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Fuck. Yes. I think I've spent more time in the SC map editor than I did with the game itself. I've invented entire campaigns. If this one is halfway as good as the one in SC I'm going to have a blast.

TheWeirdOne

KICK ME
Reputation score

Not in the Beta it dosen't. You can only do matches online in the beta on the Battlenet.

I'm letting my friend use my beta key because he's actually good at RTSes and I enjoy watching him play more then playing myself lol.