What's new

Games Discussion Thread

Mamono Assault Force

Coon Tamer
RP Moderator
Reputation score
Re: Games Discussion Thread

Amnesia: The Dark Descent

This game actually surprised me, because in this day and age of the games wielding the banner of survival-horror, being about as frightening as our own forum member Chibi, I have actually forgotten what it was like to be in an immersive game, that made me shit myself whenever something leaped out of the darkness at me. Amnesia does just that, it's the indie game that knows it's fear, and knows how to make you struggle for survival.

Amnesia is not like the majority of survival-horrors you've played. You don't have a gun, you don't have a weapon. So when you see something shambling through the hall, you don't even have the time to get a good look at it before you have to decide to either run, hide, or die. You're in a place where supernatural things constantly happen, and it builds the fear in you, making you wonder if that was just the sounds of the atmosphere, wood groaning from age, or if that was really a monster nearby. Loud sounds might make you panic, and hide in a cupboard, just out of fear of the fact that it might come shambling inside, and tear you apart.

Being in the darkness is not healthy. The protagonist, Daniel, will start imagining things are there, that really aren't, as he loses his sanity. Witnessing unexpected, or supernatural events will draw his attention, and frighten him. If you walk into a room, and a book falls from a shelf, later on, if the room is dark, and you've no light with which to see clearly, he might hear such sounds repeat themselves, even if no book falls from the shelf, while shadows pass through the room, honestly making you believe that something it shambling around inside of the room you're in. And you have no way of knowing if it's real, or not.

But, again, don't assume this game is anything like the ones you've played. Because more than likely, it's not. Or at least, not like a game you've played since many years ago. It isn't a monster fest. It doesn't constantly throw one kind of situation at you, and expect you to be scared. It keeps you scared, as you don't know what's going to happen next. You could browse a library, and read the notes left by yourself, and others, to try and help regain your memory, for a long time. Then, suddenly, a door slams open. Naturally turning to look, you'd see that it was just the wind, coming in from the cracks of the structure, and not a monster ready to pounce upon you.

This game is what survival horror should be. I seriously recommend it if you enjoy the horror genre.

Quartz

Evard's Tentacles of Forced Intrusion
Reputation score

Amnesia is pretty great. The protagonist is such a selfish prick though.

SirOni

Demon Girls #1 Fan
Reputation score

Right, made a character on PSP2 not sure how to add people on the game if that is even possible. If anyone feels like getting a party together at some point this week my PSN name is Onikain and my PSP2 chaarcter's name is Shanae. Bear in mind that I'm only level 3 at the moment.

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

I've heard good things about Amnesia, but I'm not sure if the core gameplay is up my alley. I agree that games should try harder to be scary, and that this is a step in the right direction if it is as scary as I hear.

My only question... what is the core gameplay? Third person movement? Point and click? Whenever I've looked it's always seemed like a point and click, but the way some people say it, it almost sounds like the gameplay of the original Resident Evils (without the shooting)

Mamono Assault Force

Coon Tamer
RP Moderator
Reputation score

It's first person. The point and click aspect you're thinking of, is simply just the hand icon that appears in the middle of the screen, telling you that you can interact with whatever you're looking at. Another aspect, is leaning, which some first person shooters feature. I use leaning a lot when I hear those strange noises I mentioned, because it doesn't immediately make a monster notice you if it happens to be walking around in another room, as you don't make noise when leaning over to check a corner, obviously.

It's intention is to firmly root you in the protagonist's shoes, and never remove the immersion for a second, or draw you away from what's happening by saying, "Here's an epic camera scrolling through a hallway," or, "Sorry Mario, the item you need is in another castle," as Resident evil often did. And I think that was a mistake it made during it's earlier games, was that puzzle crap, which usually weren't even puzzles. You just had to go find some gay item to put into a slot.

Thank god I've never seen anything like that in Amnesia so far. That shit ruins the experience, and makes life tedious.

Last edited:

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Indeed it does. I never really understood the point of most of those "puzzles" in Resident Evil. Who honestly has their city park's water system running off of some random shields...

Anyway, maybe now I'll check out Amnesia. The only reason I was staying away was because I thought it was a point and click. Gotta support whats good, because that gives incentive to make more original things, than playing it safe and cashing in on old franchises and remakes.

Reputation score

Crap. -_- My luck would stuff my informative post at the end of a page so it's easy to miss.

DarkFire1004

Tentacle Goddess of the H-Section
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reputation score

Well it caught MY attention, if it makes you feel better.

Host

Lurker
Reputation score

Crap. -_- My luck would stuff my informative post at the end of a page so it's easy to miss.
I noticed it. When you include a RED ARREMER or the words CHRONO TRIGGER, I would have to not be me to not notice it.

Mamono Assault Force

Coon Tamer
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Actually, I take back what I said about the puzzle crap, it does make you run about, and collect some things. What's worse, light is limited, so it's very easy to become disoriented, or miss a door you needed to go into, that was hidden in the shadows. That's not to say I take back my liking of the game, but you will need to make a chemistry set, collect all the materials for it, and find the empty chemistry bottle in the same room, before finding your way to a machine room, and having to run about to collect all the parts, wheels, and rods that'll make it work.

It's sort of a refresher to find out what to do though, if you want to look on the bright side of anything at all, as the mind tricks and voices inside your head go away.

Reputation score

do they have fallout 2 in 20 minutes

There's the full schedule of runs.

Super Mario Galaxy 2
Portal
Halo
Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes
Metal Gear Solid 2

Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow
Resident Evil 1, 2, 3
Megaman 1, 2, 9, X, X2, X4

Snake Rattle 'n Roll
Ninja Gaiden
Contra
Super C
Contra III: The Alien Wars

Metal Storm
Blaster Master
Battletoads (Pianotoads)
Mike Tyson's Punch-Out
Marble Madness
Excitebike
Super Mario Bros 1, 2, 3, Lost Levels, World
Dr. Mario
Tetris Attack
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
Donkey Kong Country 1 and 2
Castlevania 1, 3, Super (4), DXC + Rondo, Symphony Of The Night

Ghosts 'n Goblins
Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts
Resident Evil 4, 5
Thexder Neo
Actraiser
Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 and 2
Trials HD
Pokemon Yellow
Metroid, Super Metroid, Fusion, Prime, Prime 2: Echoes
Legend of Zelda
Link's Awakening (10 minute glitched run)
Link's Awakening (full length run)
Link to the Past
Ocarina of Time
Majora's Mask
Super Mario 64

Blast Corps
Super Monkey Ball
Mario Kart 64
Banjo-Kazooie
Kingdom Hearts 2
Katamari Damacy

Michael Jackson's Moonwalker
Earthworm Jim
Gunstar Heroes
Rocket Knight Adventures
Altered Beast
Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Streets of Rage 2
TMNT4: Turtles in Time
Double Dragon
River City Ransom
Castle Crashers
Final Fight
Metal Slug 3
Final Fantasy IV
Devil May Cry
Bayonetta
Myst
Uncharted 2

Aladdin
Magical Quest Starring Mickey Mouse
Wario Land: Shake It
Kirby Super Star
Kirby: Nightmare in Dream Land

Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back
Sly Cooper: and the Thievius Raccoonus
Cave Story
Lego Star Wars II: The Original Trilogy
Chrono Cross
Chrono Trigger

Note: I bolded the ones I thought were the biggest name or most anticipated, but there may be others of interest. The link has all projected times for length, what time the run will be, and details (ie: whether it will be co-op, a race between two people, or other special conditions).

SirOni

Demon Girls #1 Fan
Reputation score

There's the full schedule of runs.

Pokemon Yellow
Link's Awakening (10 minute glitched run)
Link's Awakening (full length run)
Ocarina of Time
Katamari Damacy
Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Streets of Rage 2
Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back
My body is ready.

Reputation score

The streams will be right up on the front page of Speed Demos Archive when it begins. There'll be two streams - one on the left has gaming, one on the right has commentary (at least, that's how it was last year). What I did was I turned on both, but muted the gameplay one (cause they sometimes will slip out of sync by a second or two) and just had commentary on, since you can hear the game from the TV screen there.

I would highly suggest looking at some of the videos from 2010's marathon, you can download any of them from the 2010 section linked on the 2011 page. TMNT retry (glitchy turtles) was good for a lot of laughs. Oh, and Kari Essentia Johnson and the others singing along with the Opera in Final Fantasy VI was epic, including epic acting in the epic battle XD

Darmy647

Lurker
Reputation score

Its an awesome idea and cool to watch. But i cant just watch someone play something. It drives me crazy. I need to get in there too and start killin stuff.

Master_Bei_Shun

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Exagerated girlish squeals!!!

Its being released!

I've been waiting for Square-Enix to release information on there little "Shadow" project

A continuation of the Parasite Eve series dubbed "The 3'rd Birthday"

After years of waiting they finally released it in Japan and... Austria? on Dec. 22nd.

Nunu's can look for it around February...

Mer... A kangaroo will be playing it before me...

And USA and Europe still have to wait... 1st Quarter 2011

Well... At least it wasn't another Too Human 2...

Host

Lurker
Reputation score

After years of waiting they finally released it in Japan and... Austria? on Dec. 22nd.

SirOni

Demon Girls #1 Fan
Reputation score

Exagerated girlish squeals!!!

Its being released!

I've been waiting for Square-Enix to release information on there little "Shadow" project

A continuation of the Parasite Eve series dubbed "The 3'rd Birthday"

Nunu's can look for it around February...

And USA and Europe still have to wait... 1st Quarter 2011

Well... At least it wasn't another Too Human 2...
I heard about Parasite Eve 3rd Birthday months ago. Your clothing ingame actually gets damaged when you're attacked, if you didn't know.