What's new

JSK工房 Hgames Translation Thread

jameson252

Reputation score
Would a parser be useful for the translation folks? I'm working on a text extractor that will (hopefully) pull the Japanese text from .txt files, allow you to change the extracted text, and place the newly translated text back in code where it was pulled from.

I followed the tutorial at the beginning of the thread on how to translate these games and from just playing around with ffdec it seems like the most annoying part of the whole process is finding all the japanese in a mess of code, and having to deal with tons of duplicates. I'm interested to know if the tutorial is still the best way to translate JSK's games or if anyone has found a quicker method.

Last edited:

Delexicus

Reputation score
Would a parser be useful for the translation folks? I'm working on a text extractor that will (hopefully) pull the Japanese text from .txt files, allow you to change the extracted text, and place the newly translated text back in code where it was pulled from.

I followed the tutorial at the beginning of the thread on how to translate these games and from just playing around with ffdec it seems like the most annoying part of the whole process is finding all the japanese in a mess of code, and having to deal with tons of duplicates. I'm interested to know if the tutorial is still the best way to translate JSK's games or if anyone has found a quicker method.
That is exactly what Donocad's parser does. We have made extensive use of it with our translation efforts. His version is based in Bash, so Windows users have to use a program like cygwin to operate the parser. If you feel up to the task, a Windows, or platform agnostic version would be welcome. You can find Donocad's parser under text string extractor.

jameson252

Reputation score
That is exactly what Donocad's parser does. We have made extensive use of it with our translation efforts. His version is based in Bash, so Windows users have to use a program like cygwin to operate the parser. If you feel up to the task, a Windows, or platform agnostic version would be welcome. You can find Donocad's parser under text string extractor.
Awesome ill definitely give the windows version a shot, though i'm no programmer so it might be a bit messy. Anyways, having more tools couldn't hurt.

This is roughly what I've got right now, need to clean it up a bit for sure.

autotranslatorthingy.PNG

Definitely gonna add a gui later on, if any of y'all have suggestions, don't hesitate to tell me.

Icevail

Lurker
Reputation score
Awesome ill definitely give the windows version a shot, though i'm no programmer so it might be a bit messy. Anyways, having more tools couldn't hurt.

View attachment 24380

Definitely gonna add a gui later on, if any of y'all have suggestions, don't hesitate to tell me.
Can it run Crysis? 😂

Delexicus

Reputation score

View attachment 24380

I would suggest looking at what features Donocad's parser has, as well as how he implements them for ideas. His included readme file goes into extensive detail on both how to use the parser, as well as what features are included.

Some examples would be looking for "marks" to identify what lines have dialogue. You may have noticed that all lines with dialogue have a line similar to the following preceding them.

Example mark lines:

Object(root).kotoba = [[\
Object(root)\.otoko = [[\
Object(root)\.kotoba1 = [[\
Object(root)\.kotoba2 = [[\
Object(root)\.kotoba_m = [\
this\.mess_plt\.mess\.text = \
Object(root)\.main\.mess_plt\.mess\.text = \
Object(root)\.kotoba3 = [[\
Object(root)\.kotoba4 = [[\
Object(root)\.o_kotoba = [[\
Object(root)\.kaiwa_naiyou = [[\
Object(root)\.miru_kotoba = [[[\
Object(root)\.kihon_1 = [[[\
Object(root)\.kihon_2 = [[[\
Object(root)\.kihon_3 = [[[\
this\.riyuu\.kotoba\.htmlText = \
this\.odoshi\.kotoba\.htmlText = \
this\.kareshi\.kotoba\.htmlText = \
this\.kitori\.kotoba\.htmlText = \
this\.ending\.kotoba\.htmlText = \

This will significantly reduce the amount of junk texts that are extracted if you only extract lines with marks.

Another nice feature to include would be to compare all the extracted dialogue and identify what lines are clones of each other. Then you could mark one line as a key line, then blank out the lines that are clones of the key line. This would allow the translators to not have to translate the same lines repeatedly. Donocad's parser does this at the "mark" compound line level. It may be useful to do this clone detection at the individual line segment level.

Donocad's parser also removes the non-dialogue parts of the extracted dialogue e.g.(font color, html brackets). These non-dialogue parts are reinserted when the dialogue is merged back into the game files.

There is quite a bit more that Donocad's parser does, but those are the highlights to consider incorporating first.

I have also made a small program that lets you decompress, compress, and make difference patches between SWF files. It uses a simple GUI for selecting what game to work on, and then what features to use on said game. I've made this with the ancient BAT programming language. I call it the JSK Codec. I intend it to be the place to plug in other peoples programs and scripts as added features in the future. JoSmiHnTh is currently working on a python script that will look for Japanese sound effects in the dialogue, and auto translating it to English. It is based on my work to do the same with a program called PowerGREP. It uses this as a guide. I've included my JSK codec so you can see how it is structured, and how easy it would be to add onto it.

Here's an we've made up. It may be helpful in seeing what we've come up with for our translation pipeline. It's a bit outdated, but still useful as a template.

Attachments

Donocad

Reputation score

View attachment 24380

Good luck, if you need some help or advice, don't hesitate.

Delexicus

Reputation score
Man what a day. I've been digging out this tree stump for two weekends now. Almost at the point where I can start cutting it up.

Started out thinking I could just drill a hole in a main root and winch it out. Little did I know just how much stump needed to be dealt with.

Even used six pulleys coupled with a 12,000 foot pound (16,2400 Newton Meters) Winch. This gave me seven lines of pull, so that equates to a total pulling force of 84,000 foot pounds (113,680 Newton Meters). The stump did, not, budge.

Back to square one. Manual labor it is then! Started out using a spade shovel, pickax, and wheelbarrow to get as much dirt out of the way as possible.

Here's the progress from day one. Lots more roots uncovered.

Third day digging and my wheelbarrow handle snapped. Definitely had to take a minute and calm down. Found my contractors wheelbarrow and borrowed his for the time being.

And that brings us to today, day four of digging.

The amount of dirt I had to move way more than I had anticipated.

The stump is massive and and roughly five feet (1.524 meters) in diameter.

This stump will take me a few more weekends to finish at best. I'll try to keep on top of questions posted on ULMF, as well as continue working on the JSK Codec. It will most likely be slow going though.

tsmaniac

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
Just found this whole thing and since i am overwhelmed by the sheer valume of the pages in each thread all i am wondering is how are we gonna know that the translation on something has finished.I am more interested in Reimi, the Queen of Martial Arts .Wish i knew kanji but i bet thats not the only hurdle in this process.Thanks for ur work eitherway though.

Icevail

Lurker
Reputation score
Just found this whole thing and since i am overwhelmed by the sheer valume of the pages in each thread all i am wondering is how are we gonna know that the translation on something has finished.I am more interested in Reimi, the Queen of Martial Arts .Wish i knew kanji but i bet thats not the only hurdle in this process.Thanks for ur work eitherway though.
And I thought our combined ramblings would make good afternoon tea reading 😂.

KarasMorrigu

Reputation score
Oh they do make for good reading, especially the news bulletin you wrote about Great Demon Lord and Magical Buster. "and now for sports" still makes me laugh. page 33 btw if anyone needs a pick-me-up.

Last edited:

Icevail

Lurker
Reputation score
Sauce

Well, it looks like we're close to seeing JSK remake or 'Orekko' being completed, the final adjustments have begun, and according to their estimates, the game will be registered on 8th or 9th on september.

KarasMorrigu

Reputation score
Any chance of finishing some of the partials before tackling this one? Y'all can probably skip all the oohs and ahns if that's quicker.

Icevail

Lurker
Reputation score
Any chance of finishing some of the partials before tackling this one? Y'all can probably skip all the oohs and ahns if that's quicker.
Unfortunately, I am restricted by the ball and chain in this particular matter. 😂
One PC in the house and we both use it on daily basis, leaves little next to no time to sit hours deep into night and work on those.