What's new

[WIP - Full] Princess Sacrifice - Eng Translation (WIP)

habisain

Tentacle God
Reputation score
Re: Princess Sacrifice - Eng Translation (WIP)

Welp, that's me told then. Guess I should pack in my VPM translation efforts because I use machine translation aids.

In any case, I'm probably gonna take some flack for this post, but whatever. This project has always been tenuous due to the size of the games script. While I can criticise Memory and the others involved for being wishy-washy when I offered to write them some sensible tools, and not understanding how to do backups, I can't fault their effort in getting as much of the game translated as they have, especially as they were editing raw XML files.

Second off, m1zuki is not the messiah of H-game translations. Objectively speaking, I can praise his work ethic, but his translations are very, very literal. So much so that it would not surprise me in the least if he himself is using machine translation aids (note this is not an accusation; it's the observation that his translations are very literal and, in my view, in need of editing). In any case, I don't think any of m1zuki's projects even come close to the script length of Princess Sacrifice, and certainly none of his projects have such dire tool support, so who knows if he'd actually get it finished in the end.

Finally, the amount of hate this translation project has gotten is simply unreal, apparently going as far as sabotage (referring to the incident last year where, when Memory was on holiday, a "contributor" deleted all the translation data in the Google Drive folder and vanished - this was only not game over because, by blind luck, I had a local backup of the folder). In my opinion, it's really not deserved, and I would take Memory's comments as indicating that the amount of hate directed at the project is part of the reason it was abandoned.

Now then: there are no special tools to translate this game. Anyone can do it, and given that it is already based of machine translations, knowledge of Japanese is not much of a pre-requisite. So, everyone complaining: why not start translating yourselves? No reason not to, apart from the fact it's hard work.

KairiFactor

Demon Girl
Reputation score

Welp, that's me told then. Guess I should pack in my VPM translation efforts because I use machine translation aids.

In any case, I'm probably gonna take some flack for this post, but whatever. This project has always been tenuous due to the size of the games script. While I can criticise Memory and the others involved for being wishy-washy when I offered to write them some sensible tools, and not understanding how to do backups, I can't fault their effort in getting as much of the game translated as they have, especially as they were editing raw XML files.

Second off, m1zuki is not the messiah of H-game translations. Objectively speaking, I can praise his work ethic, but his translations are very, very literal. So much so that it would not surprise me in the least if he himself is using machine translation aids (note this is not an accusation; it's the observation that his translations are very literal and, in my view, in need of editing). In any case, I don't think any of m1zuki's projects even come close to the script length of Princess Sacrifice, and certainly none of his projects have such dire tool support, so who knows if he'd actually get it finished in the end.

Finally, the amount of hate this translation project has gotten is simply unreal, apparently going as far as sabotage (referring to the incident last year where, when Memory was on holiday, a "contributor" deleted all the translation data in the Google Drive folder and vanished - this was only not game over because, by blind luck, I had a local backup of the folder). In my opinion, it's really not deserved, and I would take Memory's comments as indicating that the amount of hate directed at the project is part of the reason it was abandoned.

Now then: there are no special tools to translate this game. Anyone can do it, and given that it is already based of machine translations, knowledge of Japanese is not much of a pre-requisite. So, everyone complaining: why not start translating yourselves? No reason not to, apart from the fact it's hard work.
What, not throwing shade at you but...what? How can you think this, this is laughable imo. Knowledge of the language you're translating from is 100% needed!

habisain

Tentacle God
Reputation score

What, not throwing shade at you but...what? How can you think this, this is laughable imo. Knowledge of the language you're translating from is 100% needed!
I've gone into this before a lot, but these days, for amateur projects I believe that at most you would only need a very basic understanding of Japanese grammar, so that you can use tools such as Rikaichan/kun. For the most part though, machine translation will get you the meaning of the text, and then knowledge of English is required to edit the meaning into something that's readable. Of course, this approach may miss some nuance, but as I said: these are amateur projects. Expecting impeccable standards from amateur projects is what's really laughable, and frankly, given the existence of machine translation software, English skills are a far higher priority than Japanese skills. No machine will give you an idea on how to write compelling English, but machines can certainly give you an idea on what the Japanese text in front of you means.

Incidentally, it's not as if professional translators are great on picking up nuance, or even overall accuracy, either - go check out . While I don't agree with some of the criticisms (a lot of the authors 'alternate translations' strike me as being over-written and cheezy), there's a lot of fairly basic stuff which the professional translators, with a good understanding of Japanese, screwed up.

black990

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

Would you prefer to have an average english or a gibberish foreing language where you do not understad a single word? If you like the translation you use it, but if you don't, you can always use the original version, or whatever you want.

Translating a game in english, even if it's bad english, for some people can really really be helpfull ... expecially for those who suck with translations aggregator.

I do not know about the Mizuki - Memory situation, but I respect Memory for his efforts and the energy he spent on translating this game.

OP
Memory

Memory

Cthulhu
Reputation score

but I respect Memory for his efforts and the energy he spent on translating this game.
Fixing the technical parts actually, but thanks. :3

Hoboy

Evard's Tentacles of Forced Intrusion
Reputation score

For someone who said - quote:

"Not to be a dick or anything..."
"not throwing shade at you..."

You tried to throw gasoline on a fire. After I tried to quiet things down a bit. Please - your opinion may be that only native speaking (or ones fully versed in) Japanese should be doing translations, but most of these translations in this thread would have never been done.

BTW - where is your basis for this opinion? I would be interested...I don;t see anything really supporting it...Please try to be thoughtful AND respectful in posting ( and I am not trying to sound like a dick)...

Kyosuke91

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

Well, I feel really bad now ....
I only wanted to encourage something ...
And I think my comment started this flame...

black990

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

Well, I feel really bad now ....
I only wanted to encourage something ...
And I think my comment started this flame...
You did nothing wrong, is just how internet works and here is a paradise respect to other site, so it's all ok man

KairiFactor

Demon Girl
Reputation score

For someone who said - quote:

"Not to be a dick or anything..."
"not throwing shade at you..."

You tried to throw gasoline on a fire. After I tried to quiet things down a bit. Please - your opinion may be that only native speaking (or ones fully versed in) Japanese should be doing translations, but most of these translations in this thread would have never been done.

BTW - where is your basis for this opinion? I would be interested...I don;t see anything really supporting it...Please try to be thoughtful AND respectful in posting ( and I am not trying to sound like a dick)...
All I'm saying man is that it's common sense, one might enjoy having Engrish translations but at the end of the day that might as well not even be a translation. I don't expect people that are working on these for free to be 100% fluent in Japanese. But I do expect ENGLISH translations to have ya know...a grasp of the English language if you're translating it into ya know English. If English isn't your native language and it's clear you don't have a grasp on it, all I'm saying is translate it into your native language first; and maybe get someone to proofread it if you are going to try and do an English translation. Who cares if it comes out later then, no point in rushing the damn thing if it's just going to be a jumbled mess after being "translated".

Yoshiiki

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

Oh boy... what's going on in here...

Doing translation like this:
Jap -> Your native lang -> Eng
Is like playing telephone (Chinese whispers) and we all know how that ends.
Shit, even translating Jap->Eng is nowhere near easy. Same sentence can be five times shorter in Japanese when compared to English. This can result in pretty much not being able to squeeze it all inside. All giseigo, context meaning and such do not make it easy. Especially not for a machine translation, which would require translator to use his own imagination and brain. Is is that bad? To be honest, only slightly, as you wouldn't get 1:1 translation anyway, even if done by professional translator.
So yeah, sorry but this is a shitty advice.

I will agree, you need to know English fluently to translate into it, same goes for language you are translating from. This doesn't mean you need to be a native speaker. Fuck, how many times you see idiots that can't tell between "you're" and "your"? Or do shitload of grammar errors? Exactly.
Thus, back to first sentence of this paragraph.
And even if you do fulfill those requirements, you will still fuck up from time to time, so either read it few times or get someone to proofread for you. None of those can guarantee 100% removal of errors.

Changing topic.
Hugging translation to yourself? Why? HOW? I always thought it was just out of pure respect: Oh, I see you are translating this, well, in such case I will just find something else to translate.
Also, I don't see why lurkers would be responsible for translation being canceled. If you don't feel like continuing it, just stop, it's that simple. Maybe someone else will pick it up.
If it's not your job, you're doing it for free, then you aren't obligated to complete it. If someone disagrees with that... tough luck, learn to deal with it. Or more like, learn to respect someone's time, as he/she uses it to do something for free. Simple private life disasters can kill any free project.

Seriously, all of this drama is caused by things like: Needing to jack off and waiting too long, too much expectations and mostly, people just venting off stress.
Guys, girls, chill out. Sometimes you need to have a lot of patience. In some cases you don't always get what you want, it happens.

And if it's fully cancelled, maybe someone else will pick it. Heck, maybe someone will try doing it on their own. Who knows?

Sayathing11

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score

One must be aware that Opinions are illegal in the Internet.

KairiFactor

Demon Girl
Reputation score

Soo uuhh......shouldn't this go in the partial thread now since it's partially completed? :p

black990

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

Soo uuhh......shouldn't this go in the partial thread now since it's partially completed? :p
Is not a full translation neither a partial (cause they usually just translate the interface) so... dunno

Josh_UA

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

I was lurking around and found other(?)almost complete translation of this game:
gitgud.io/Princess_Sacrifice_Translation/Princess_Sacrifice_translation
(no permission for links yet :C)

Are gitgud and this one somehow connected or fully independent one from another?

rizo

Reputation score

I was lurking around and found other(?)almost complete translation of this game:
gitgud.io/Princess_Sacrifice_Translation/Princess_Sacrifice_translation
(no permission for links yet :C)

Are gitgud and this one somehow connected or fully independent one from another?
wow, went on the site, not sure what I'm supposed to download though :/ and it seems it's still being worked on which is sweet.

UrusaiSenpai

Sex Demon
Reputation score

wow, went on the site, not sure what I'm supposed to download though :/ and it seems it's still being worked on which is sweet.
i will give it a try. Let me see what this is.

rizo

Reputation score

i will give it a try. Let me see what this is.
I ended up just clicking the download thing at the top but the files inside it are in XML format so they don't work in the folder. :/ As well as a load of other shit Lol

UrusaiSenpai

Sex Demon
Reputation score

I ended up just clicking the download thing at the top but the files inside it are in XML format so they don't work in the folder. :/ As well as a load of other shit Lol

Hmm.. English but not sure how much it is tho.

OP
Memory

Memory

Cthulhu
Reputation score

...did nobody really know that link existed?