What's new

[Complete - Full] [RJ215006] ナイトメアガールズ / Nightmare Girls English Translation

moskis

Reputation score
anyway, if someone cares, or have the same problem, i think i fixed it
it seems to be a bug derived from the translation (i cant think how this is even possible), so i copied the save file to the untranslated game, and im going to do the inverse after defeating the deathstalker

OP
barraged1

barraged1

Reputation score
anyway, if someone cares, or have the same problem, i think i fixed it
it seems to be a bug derived from the translation (i cant think how this is even possible), so i copied the save file to the untranslated game, and im going to do the inverse after defeating the deathstalker
Thanks for the bug report, I'll take a look and fix it for the next update.

HowlerLeech

Reputation score
Finally finished the first run of the game using the 0.95a including post-game. I had a few problems of which i don't know if it was due to translation, or game code, but i'm going to post it anyway.

1) i had problems with the card suits where it didn't show how or when i acquired them, they just appeared on my inventory randomly except the card in the toilet which had a prompt.
2) can't trigger some shower scenarios, specifically 17 (shigure's singing power), 18 (troubles of dvd distribution) and 27 (video distribution struggles)
3) don't know how and can't find a way to trigger some of the IV company scenarios, the 1 worked properly, but the 2 only triggered randomly on post-game, can't trigger 3 and 4 which depend on showers (i tried everything, including sleeping for several days, redoing every town h-scene of everyone, and the usual talk to everyone).
4) some events have no continuation, like how yatsuha collects the "magical soul" by herself and says she will ask yue about it, but nothing happens, ever.
5?) the death stalker room on the construction site, a flame talks about you defeating it, and there is a door/mural/wall at end of it which looks like would open, but doesn't, seems weird because otherwise the entire room, which is big, would be meaningless
6) can't find the materials "garden fairy tale" and "element orb" which seem to be end game mats, tried revisiting some worlds but found nothing.

Please be free to call upon my stupidities in case any of those is just my bad.

ae3o

Reputation score
Need some help... Just trying to start the game and thats what i get...
1594071208020.png

AnonJohn

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
Missing font, google and download it. Either installing it or tossing it into the game folder should work.

ae3o

Reputation score
It didnt work. Firstly, I already have vlgothic in rpgvxace folder. But okay, i downloaded this font from the internet, drop it in the corner of the game folder, and... nothing much changed! :c
I still have same error. Maybe i need to reinstall the game or something?..

Umm... Okay... I just INSTALLED this font from the .ttf in the game folder and now i have another error :D
1594098882645.png

Arenara

Lurker
Reputation score
I believe this may be the same thing that happened to me. You may need to grab another version of the original game and dump the files inside the folder.

zipetya

Evard's Tentacles of Forced Intrusion
Reputation score
@ae3o
You are...not really...making too much sense, frankly.
(rpgvxace folder?! REINSTALL the game?!?! I mean, this needs no installation...) lol
So, if you haven't already, just get the pre-patched game from the opening post of this thread. Make sure you have the RPGMaker VX Ace RTP installed. Make sure you extract the game to an "easy" folder (ergo NOT some 400 character long, crawling with special characters, in a system folder/otherwise automatically Read-only attributed folder address or such). Make sure to run with 'Game.exe'...

Profit.

AzureArtism

Reputation score
I know you may not have much time to devote to this translation, barraged1, but I figured I should leave some feedback:

- Some parts are wordier than they need to be
- This could use some ellipsis-trimming as well
- The currency is sometimes misspelled as "MJ"
- It'd be nice if you'd change the font to something more stylish, yet befitting of the game. Seriously, this game really deserves better than the drab, VXA default font... I recommend the royalty-free . ^_^ One of the screenshots attached to this post shows it in action.
- There's a small bug where some text gets cut off due to space limitations. It's in one of the screenshots attached to this post.
- Considering its purpose, I suggest renaming the Monster Notebook to Bestiary. It'd certainly look less squished in the menu.
- Also in that same screenshot, the H stats screen is named "Student Notebook". That's not quite appropriate; I'd rename it to "H Stats"
- Considering the game's context, there are at least a couple of mistranslations... Like how Ice is Nature and Electric is Metal. And how Blunt/Bash is Heavy and Pierce/Stab is Light.
- In regards to the Cub thing, it'd be better to come up with an alternative that makes sense, than leave translation notes to kind of get the Japanese wordplay across. I know this isn't an official localization, but still

There's a lot more I could say, but I'll leave it at that for now. xD

areaNameIssue.png
ngAmaranth.png

Last edited:

Kynshin

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
Considering the game context/plot and the fact of the original jp text, "Student Notebook" and "Monster Notebook" are more apropriate than "Bestiary" and "H-Stats".
Unless ofc you want to just ignore what the original japanese text said and replace it with generic names.

As for the font, lets just say not everyone haz that font on his/her computer. It would be just a extra step that people would have to take if they wanted to play the game (not to mention that could lead to even more problems in text formatting).

And finally the mistranslations; Would it really be a mistranslation if thats whats written on the original script?

The space limitation is a bit of a issue thought.

OP
barraged1

barraged1

Reputation score
I know you may not have much time to devote to this translation, barraged1, but I figured I should leave some feedback:

- Some parts are wordier than they need to be
- This could use some ellipsis-trimming as well
- The currency is sometimes misspelled as "MJ"
- It'd be nice if you'd change the font to something more stylish, yet befitting of the game. Seriously, this game really deserves better than the drab, VXA default font... I recommend the royalty-free . ^_^ One of the screenshots attached to this post shows it in action.
- There's a small bug where some text gets cut off due to space limitations. It's in one of the screenshots attached to this post.
- Considering its purpose, I suggest renaming the Monster Notebook to Bestiary. It'd certainly look less squished in the menu.
- Also in that same screenshot, the H stats screen is named "Student Notebook". That's not quite appropriate; I'd rename it to "H Stats"
- Considering the game's context, there are at least a couple of mistranslations... Like how Ice is Nature and Electric is Metal. And how Blunt/Bash is Heavy and Pierce/Stab is Light.
- In regards to the Cub thing, it'd be better to come up with an alternative that makes sense, than leave translation notes to kind of get the Japanese wordplay across. I know this isn't an official localization, but still

There's a lot more I could say, but I'll leave it at that for now. xD

View attachment 33172
View attachment 33173
Thanks for the feedback, I always love helpful comments and thought-out criticism.

To address your points:
1) I agree, my lack of writing skills have produced some sentences that run-on, however sometimes long sentences are like that to replicate the entire meaning of the original text.
2) Good find, I'll have to do a look-through to find the spots I missed from the original spelling of "MJ".
3) While changing font could be more visually pleasing I believe it my introduce some unforeseen complications during translation release.
4) That text cut-off is a limitation for text length rooted in the design of the UI. I'll look into it, but I want to avoid changing the script files for fear of breaking something.
5/6) I believe my translation is more appropriate given the original text.
7) While it may seem that the translation was supposed to be ice based on the basic 4 element system I believe that Nature is more closely describing what the creator meant. I am basing this off the original kanji used (which was not "Ice"), the spells that use this type, and the context in which the type fits into the game. As for Metal there were some considerations to be made based of skills that use this type that made me go with "Metal" rather than "Electric". As for "Heavy" and "Light" I believe my translation comes across with the same meaning as the original text and its more concise length allows it to fix in skill description boxes more appropriately.
8) I did think about doing a full replacement of the entire joke/wordplay, but I believe that because the wordplay was involved with the special "Turnip" boss there was going to be no possible way to change the joke/wordplay over into English and make that boss make sense.

"There's a lot more I could say, but I'll leave it at that for now. xD"

Hey, I would love to hear it. I love translating games and receiving constructive criticism. I appreciate your post.

Last edited:

Kynshin

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

I shouldnt need to point this out either but all Bullet/Grenade skills in game are tagged with the "Metal" element. Now if you were to rename it to "electric" , wouldnt that be very weird?

Same goes for Ice being Nature, the ingame skills using that element are healing skills, water skills , ice skills, etc etc, AKA Nature skills. (Ps: the kanji used in the jp version can be translated as Forest so i would say Nature would be very accurate)

Long story short, dont assume that the generic elements listed on the rpgmaker program are actually accurate ingame. If the dev called it 森 (Forest) instead of アイス (Ice) it was probably for a reason.

On a side note im happy that Barraged still alive and kicking.

AzureArtism

Reputation score
Thanks for the feedback, I always love helpful comments and thought-out criticism.

To address your points:

1) I agree, my lack of writing skills has produced some sentences that seem to be run on, however most of the time the long sentences are like that to replicate the entire meaning of the original text.

2) Good find, I'll have to do a look-through to find the spots I missed from the original spelling of "MJ".

3) While changing font could be more visually pleasing I believe it my introduce some unforeseen complications during translation release.

4) That text cut-off is a limitation for text length rooted in the design of the UI. I'll look into it, but I want to avoid changing the script files for fear of breaking something.

5/6) I believe my translation is more appropriate given the original text.

7) While it may seem that the translation was supposed to be ice based on the basic 4 element system I believe that Nature is more closely describing what the creator meant. I am basing this off the original kanji used (which was not "Ice"), the spells that use this type, and the context in which the type fits into the game. As for Metal there were some considerations to be made based of skills that use this type that made me go with "Metal" rather than "Electric". As for "Heavy" and "Light" I believe my translation comes across with the same meaning as the original text and its more concise length allows it to fix in skill description boxes more appropriately.

8) I did think about doing a full replacement of the entire joke/wordplay, but I believe that because the wordplay was involved with the special "Turnip" boss there was going to be no possible way to change the joke/wordplay over into English and make that boss make sense.

"There's a lot more I could say, but I'll leave it at that for now. xD"

Hey, I would love to hear it. I love translating games and receiving constructive criticism. I appreciate your post.
Glad to help ^^ Responding to your points:

1) Understandable. Speaking from a lot of experience, I still doubt the lengthiness was usually so necessary.

3) Having used Amaranth for most of my playthrough, the only complication I've found is that the JP letters are rendered as spaces; Amaranth doesn't support those. Given my experience with RM (and what I've seen of this game), I doubt it'd cause any other issues.

5/6) Considering the in-game context, it seems to me that the translations are too literal. Using "heavy" as an element name to describe blunt force might make sense in native Japanese, but it really doesn't in native English. Same for using "Light" to describe damage done by cutting, "Nature" to describe only ice and water attacks, etc.
5/6a) The letter is the messenger, the spirit is king. I'm worried the messenger here is misrepresenting the king, due to not understanding how things work where it was sent.

8) Considering the context
(humans being called turnips because the boss of the area was a turnip monster girl)
... I believe you can still change the joke, keep the spirit, have it make sense in English, and even add a layer of wordplay.

8a) For example, you could change "Cub" to "Pintur"; the latter is an anagram of "turnip".

Here's a little more for now; this post is already awfully long ^^;

1f) Quad Strike's desc uses "unstable" to describe it having shaky accuracy. That doesn't sound quite right.
2f) Speaking of descs, if you can get any volunteers, it'd be nice to have the descs for items and skills follow better formats. Ones that look nicer and deliver the information better. Here's an example for skills:
<StatScaleIcon(s)> | <Targeting> | <TierLetter> <ElementIcon(s)> | <SpecialEffects>
More info, optionally with flavor text.

I attached a few screenshots showing examples. There are at least three other games that handle their descs in a similar manner.
Dark Hero Party, Miss Lisette's Assassin Maid, and Eredia: The Diary of Heroes

Considering the game context/plot and the fact of the original jp text, "Student Notebook" and "Monster Notebook" are more apropriate than "Bestiary" and "H-Stats".

Unless ofc you want to just ignore what the original japanese text said and replace it with generic names.
Both "Monster Notebook" and "Bestiary" make sense in context; my criticism for that was mainly for aesthetics, since the former just looks ugly in the UI. As for "Student Notebook", that's more about logic and clarity. After all, do you usually think of student notebooks as holding sexual encounter details? If you want a less generic name for it, then "Eros Records" would fit well with the context.

That one Tsukimiri researcher asking Yatsuha and company to write about their sexual experiences in a notebook.

As for the font, lets just say not everyone haz that font on his/her computer. It would be just a extra step that people would have to take if they wanted to play the game (not to mention that could lead to even more problems in text formatting).
Not a problem; you can easily bundle the font with the game. And if the alternative font is thinner than the VXA default (like Amaranth), it shouldn't cause any formatting issues. Heck, issues like overflow would be lessened when not fixed outright, reducing editorial headaches.

And finally the mistranslations; Would it really be a mistranslation if thats whats written on the original script?
No, they wouldn't. They may instead be overly-literal translations, which is still cause for concern.

I shouldnt need to point this out either but all Bullet/Grenade skills in game are tagged with the "Metal" element. Now if you were to rename it to "electric" , wouldnt that be very weird?
It's just as weird to call electric skills metal skills. Though still, that wouldn't solve the problem... My bad. I somehow forgot that the gun/grenade skills were metal element ^^; If I find a word that reconciles the two, I'll suggest it later.

Same goes for Ice being Nature, the ingame skills using that element are healing skills, water skills, ice skills, etc etc, AKA Nature skills. (Ps: the kanji used in the jp version can be translated as Forest so i would say Nature would be very accurate)
Things such as fire, earth, and wind are also comfortably within the umbrella of the word "nature", yet those three elements are treated as separate ones. Considering that, "nature" is more confusing than it is accurate. "Forest" similarly makes no sense.

If the dev called it 森 (Forest) instead of アイス (Ice) it was probably for a reason.
That reason being either a mistake, or (perhaps more likely) it making enough sense in native Japanese. If there's context in the game that invalidates the context issues I've brought up, please explain it. I've made it pretty far into the game, and I've found nothing. 🤷‍♂️

icyChillEdit.png fireTangoEdit.png sleepWaveEdit.png

Kynshin

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
All that text
For some of your points:

1f and 2f- Talking is fine and all that but fan translators dont usually have the means to mass edit that stuff, not to mention thats the format games usually follow (maybe you should go to the other translation threads of games by this dev and tell the translators there to go edit all the icons as well).

Also, " More info, optionally with flavor text. "?
So you telling him to make up stuff that doesnt exist in the game? ( because thats exactly what it looks like).

"Student Notebook" vs "Eros Record" vs "H stats" ( the last 2 still very generic). I will point out the characters are students, so them using a student notebook to write that stuff isnt that far fetched as it could be the only thing they had at hand.
And you just contradicted yourself with your spoilered quote. The npc asked them to keep their sexual experiences in a notebook, " a notebook" , not a "Ero record" nor a" H stats".

And while it may look a bit odd in the menu it fits the context/dialogue of the game perfectly.

If u can find a better term than "metal element" for gun and grenade skills i will tip my hat to you, but its obviously still better than electric.
And yeah all those elements would be under nature, except the translator decided to go with the best possible option since the "Ice" element as u call it includes healing , water and ice skills. Well idk about u but when i think about healing skills i dont think "Ice".
I will even quote exactly what barraged told me about that in dms:

"I actually did almost make the translation use Ice, but the problem was the kanji that could be put into english as "forest" and skills that healed with nature type names used that type as well.
The type was used for a lot of water skills too, along with ice skills so I tried to think of what could apply to healing, water, and ice"

Also, did you actually sugest for him to rewrite an entire stage from the original JP intent so he can use an anagram for turnip? Thats actually hilarious.

And take this as you want, but if you wanna call out a translator for his mistakes in translating and choice of words you should make yourself acquaintance with what the game says in japanese first.

Last edited:

Oir

Reputation score
I feel like it's steadily getting more heated with the discussion here and that's not good.
It's really cool to see such passionate (and surprisingly thorough) debate on this subject though!

OP
barraged1

barraged1

Reputation score
Glad to help ^^ Responding to your points:
I appreciate your continued feedback and will take it into consideration when working on both my current and future translation projects.

Thank you for your feedback.

Kynshin

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
I feel like it's steadily getting more heated with the discussion here and that's not good.
It's really cool to see such passionate (and surprisingly thorough) debate on this subject though!
It is futile to continue with this "feedback" since in the end, its just someone telling the translator to do as they want him to do without considering how the original game was structured and the amount of work the translator himself already put on the translation that they actually go and ask him to rewrite parts of the script among other things. (which in my opinion is a insult to both the developer and the translator just to fullfill their OCD).

During all this feedback the only thing i have seen was someone picking on negligible things instead of actually reporting big issues like actual bugs in the game.

I appreciate your continued feedback and will take it into consideration when working on both my current and future translation projects.

Good job with the translation Barraged1, it needs a little polish in some sentences here and there ( you could probably add more text boxes if you dont want to cut the actual meaning of the text too short) but you did a good job keeping things consistent.

As for the cut text and any somewhat squished text, there are ways to increase the text "window". If you dig up on the script u can find the Window scripts that let u edit the length , width ,the amount of space atributed to a specific line and even align the text in menus without need to replace it for shorter words unrelated to the actual ingame dialogue.

Or you can always add your own script to fix said text. There are some nice plugins that let u do it.

Last edited:

AzureArtism

Reputation score
How did I come off as hotheaded? ^^;

1f and 2f- Talking is fine and all that but fan translators dont usually have the means to mass edit that stuff, not to mention thats the format Tsukinomizu Project games usually follow (maybe you should go to the other translation threads of games by this dev and tell the translators there to go edit all the icons as well).
I do understand that Barraged may not, but I felt it was still worth throwing out there.

As a side note, this and other parts of your response me sound like I was trying to order Barraged around. :/

Also, " More info, optionally with flavor text. "?

So you telling him to make up stuff that doesnt exist in the game? ( because thats exactly what it looks like).
That part of the format was literally meant to be more info with flavor text you can choose to add. I don't see how it says anything close to "just make something up", especially with the examples I posted.

"Student Notebook" vs "Eros Record" vs "H stats" ( the last 2 still very generic). I will point out the characters are students, so them using a student notebook to write that stuff isnt that far fetched as it could be the only thing they had at hand.
Yes, in that scenario, it would make sense they'd write about that stuff in a notebook. The problem remains that the name doesn't quite fit what the menu option leads to, unless you want to go with something like "H Notebook".

And you just contradicted yourself with your spoilered quote. The npc asked them to keep their sexual experiences in a notebook, " a notebook" , not a "Ero record" nor a" H stats".
If that's how the NPC asked, then perhaps I misinterpreted/misremembered it ^^; Also, "Eros Record" and "H Stats" would still fit the menu option well, given what it shows when you select it.

And yeah all those elements would be under nature, except the translator decided to go with the best possible option since the "Ice" element as u call it includes healing , water and ice skills. Well idk about u but when i think about healing skills i dont think "Ice".
So the one thing justifying nature as a separate element is that it has healing skills? That argument doesn't work either, then. Reasons being...

- The healing skills some Ice stones have are actually Star element
- Perhaps because of that, they're not even exclusive to said stones. For example, Izanagi, a wind and metal stone, has Starlight, Star Twinkle, and Revive.
- There are healing skills that Ice stones don't even get access to. For example, Earth Gem Mayi and Old Gem David have the Chakra line. And Fire Crystal Shin has Healing Waltz and Healing Dance.

I will even quote exactly what barraged told me about that in dms:

"I actually did almost make the translation use Ice, but the problem was the kanji that could be put into english as "forest" and skills that healed with nature type names used that type as well.

The type was used for a lot of water skills too, along with ice skills so I tried to think of what could apply to healing, water, and ice"
That's the "nature = healing" argument again. I explained earlier in this post how it doesn't hold up.

As for water skills also being under that type, that's fine. It wouldn't be the first time a game treated water and ice as the same element.

Also, did you actually sugest for him to rewrite an entire stage from the original JP intent so he can use an anagram for turnip? Thats actually hilarious.
Again, as the original didn't make sense in English, it would be ideal to go with something similar that does. That anagram example was such a similar thing. Was I wrong?

And take this as you want, but if you wanna call out a translator for his mistakes in translating and choice of words you should make yourself acquaintance with what the game says in japanese first.
That's like the "You can't criticise a movie because you can't make one yourself" argument. If part of my criticism is wrong, it's better to explain to me how, rather than trying to dismiss it all like this.

It is futile to continue with this "feedback" since in the end, its just someone telling the translator to do as they want him to do without considering how the original game was structured and the amount of work the translator himself already put on the translation that they actually go and ask him to rewrite parts of the script among other things. (which in my opinion is a insult to both the developer and the translator just to fullfill their OCD).

During all this feedback the only thing i have seen was someone picking on negligible things instead of actually reporting big issues like actual bugs in the game.
That's a bit much, don't you think? I thought I was being respectful with my feedback and discussion thereof. And while some of that was nitpicky, it's not reasonable to say it all was.

You're welcome. If something seems off about my input, please don't shy away from discussing it with me, be it in forums or DM.

Kynshin

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
Yes, in that scenario, it would make sense they'd write about that stuff in a notebook. The problem remains that the name doesn't quite fit what the menu option leads to, unless you want to go with something like "H Notebook".

If that's how the NPC asked, then perhaps I misinterpreted/misremembered it ^^; Also, "Eros Record" and "H Stats" would still fit the menu option well, given what it shows when you select it.

That's the "nature = healing" argument again. I explained earlier in this post how it doesn't hold up.

That's like the "You can't criticise a movie because you can't make one yourself" argument. If part of my criticism is wrong, it's better to explain to me how, rather than trying to dismiss it all like this.

That's a bit much, don't you think? I thought I was being respectful with my feedback and discussion thereof. And while some of that was nitpicky, it's not reasonable to say it all was.
1. "H Notebook" would actually be a better fit than all the others you said. Or you could actually suggest a script that allows Student Notebook to fit there since it seems like youre a rpgmaker program user pro (at least from how you talk).
2. Now you are dismissing it as "perhaps I misinterpreted/misremembered it" because you got called out on it. Good one.
3. The nature /healing skill was something i asked barraged myself on discord and thats the reasoning he gave.
4. I have no reason to explain nor to read you the entire game in japanese. My only advice was and still is: before u nitpick about how the translator decides to translate something try and play the game in japanese yourself and then maybe you will understand the why he did it instead of basing yourself solely on what you see in front of your eyes (aka the english translation).
5.If you trully believe that you were being respectful by nitpicking on everything then let me show u the door to the Chan. Theres lots of people there who think nitpicking is being respectfull towards someone hard work.

Maybe you didnt realize or didnt think, that some of the games u mentioned arent even the same engine version nor have the same plugins and scripts.Therefore the organization would be substancially diferent. (Miss Lisette's Assassin Maid and Eredia are MV as far as i can tell, thus diferent layouts, with Eredia being very customized).

Anyway i have nothing more to say as this thread is starting to derail from its intended purpose ever since the "feedback" started.
If you wanna keep talking you can hit me on discord though.

Last edited: