Reputation score
Re: Spiral Knights rules face

in the latest patch.

Kusanagi

Chief Nippleseer
Reputation score

in the latest patch.
Devilite Pit Bosses now get demoted to grunts if they lose their work force.
LOL.

Also, I'm liking that starter pack, but $20? I know they have to make their money somewhere, but... really?

ALSO Also:
Heh, I was wondering when they'd add achievements. EVERYBODY LOVES ACHIEVEMENTS. EVERYBODY.

Mamono Assault Force

Coon Tamer
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Oni's probably spent even more than that on Spiral Knights.

SirOni

Demon Girls #1 Fan
Reputation score

After checking my receipts from Paypal I've spent about £21, and that was just last weekend. I will probably buy the starter pack sometime this week if I can afford it.

lurker

Hentai Master
Reputation score

Starter pack does seem reasonable. However, I should note that if my pubbin experience is anything to go by, the pit bosses won't be dying as the last enemy by the way some people act :/

SirOni

Demon Girls #1 Fan
Reputation score

Are the Pit Bosses the blue demon things? If so I normally target them first if I'm closest to them otherwise I just go at it like a nutjob. I have no combat sense, just swing until things stop moving. It's probably why I die so much. Ask RJ, he'll agree.

Mamono Assault Force

Coon Tamer
RP Moderator
Reputation score

RJ: "Whoo! That room was a tough one! You alright, Oni?"

Oni: "I'm gonna have to go back to Haven, it costs me 640 energy to revive now."

RJ: "What the fuck, HOW MANY TIMES DID YOU DIE!?"

Oni: "A lot."

lurker

Hentai Master
Reputation score

Are the Pit Bosses the blue demon things? If so I normally target them first if I'm closest to them otherwise I just go at it like a nutjob. I have no combat sense, just swing until things stop moving. It's probably why I die so much. Ask RJ, he'll agree.
Pit Bosses are the blue devites with clipboards. If ye had noticed (or maybe not) they'll change other Devites either into Overtimers (who are nastier normal devites) or Yesmen, who do nothing but heal the Pit Boss. However, they have no natural attack themselves, so solo I usually leave em last, for obvious reasons.

Also note that when they die, any nearby Yesmen turn into Devite Overtimers.

SirOni

Demon Girls #1 Fan
Reputation score

RJ: "Whoo! That room was a tough one! You alright, Oni?"

Oni: "I'm gonna have to go back to Haven, it costs me 640 energy to revive now."

RJ: "What the fuck, HOW MANY TIMES DID YOU DIE!?"

Oni: "A lot."
To be fair that one Arena floor we were in did rape the shit out of us both. Everything was going so well too, until it decided to Touhou our asses back to Haven. But yeah, that's generally how it goes when RJ and myself decide to hit the deeper floors of the T2 dungeons. And 640 energy is about 8 deaths.

lurker

Hentai Master
Reputation score

Sounds likek me and Kitsu a few days ago ^^;

Torakaka

Demon Girl
Reputation score

So, I intend to start playing this "face-ruling" game within the next day or two. Anything a newbie like me should know?

SirOni

Demon Girls #1 Fan
Reputation score

From my personal experience, don't suck. Your shield, as well as your ability to get the fuck out of the way of the enemies attacks are your best friends. Me? Fuck that shit, I'm going to take it straight on the chin. Literally in most cases. I'll probably be on tomorrow and most of the weekend as I have nothing better to do so I'll run you through the dungeons a couple of times so you don't end up getting raped by everything.

Kusanagi

Chief Nippleseer
Reputation score

So, I intend to start playing this "face-ruling" game within the next day or two. Anything a newbie like me should know?
Swords will just about ALWAYS do more damage than the Guns.

Bombs are nice, but only if you're in a group. You can use them solo, but I prefer a Sword and a Gun, personally, unless I'm trying to level the bomb up.

As has been said previously, might wanna stay in the newbie area and level up at least the gear you start with. Maybe not all the way to 10, but at least up to 5-6.
-Also, personally, I like the Fencer armor (bonus Sword dmg), Cyclops helmet (bonus Gun dmg), Stun gun (charged shots have a chance to stun), and Machete (only two swings, but high dmg). Oh, and the shield is better than the one you start with.

To join a party of people on your friends list who are already in a dungeon, go to your friends list, right click one of the people who are in the dungeon, and choose 'join'.

It tells you at some point, but the televisions or w/e they are behind the gates will tell you what to expect in the dungeon.

lurker

Hentai Master
Reputation score

Jus try to be careful. During the start of the game, keeping your distance and firing your gun in 2-3 shot bursts do well when getting overwhelmed. Close in with your sword when you can get a few slashes off. Also, charge attacks are really effective, but can be tricky with low-level gear due to the speed of charging for a level 1-2 weapon.

A couple enemy types to look out for in general as well: Alpha Wolvers are pretty mean customers and pretty hard to pin down without getting bitten up a lot. Trojans... I jus hope ya got someone with ya or a pretty large bomb. Also, glowing butterflys (aka Glimmers) will heal monsters on contact, they'll probably be good first-priority.

Wonderboy

Lurker
Reputation score

Well, seeing as I've had to play solo pretty much every time when I go into clockworks in order for my computer not to bluescreen, I can tell you that a good gun and some patience goes a long way. Sure it takes more time, but there's a certain satisfaction in taking down a huge group of enemies including mini-bosses and healers solo. Without taking a hit. Don't get me wrong, the swords are better for damage and overall speed, but I use mainly my gun, and throw in some fencing when I'm up against the worst auto-dodge monsters.

When it comes to using your gun, use wasd to move, and the mouse to fire. This might seem obvious, but I've seen far to many people using the mouse for control and aiming at the same time, meaning they can't fire when they're avoiding.

Last but not least, when you get into the game world, make contact with me or someone else, and I'm sure we can set you up with a decent alchemer. Yeah, I think that's it.

EDIT: I'm called MiniReynolds in game, friend me!

Last edited:

lurker

Hentai Master
Reputation score

New boss stratum for Tier 1 part 2, critter called the Snarbolax. He's pretty tough, if only cause you have to dodge his attacks while trying to time the bell ringing to when he ISN'T attacking.

SirOni

Demon Girls #1 Fan
Reputation score

Awesome, I may have to give him a go tonight. Haven't been on this week because I don't have much energy (yes, 1k energy isn't much to me) but that'll change later on so if anyone wants to I'm up for partying up later.

Wonderboy

Lurker
Reputation score

Just a little question for you experienced players... I've gotten myself a Calibur, a Flourish, a Hot Edge, and a Cutter. Right now I am really loving the speed of the Cutters 10 hit combos as opposed to the three hits of most of the other swords. What I'm wondering is if on the higher levels, the swords are so fast that it doesn't matter if the combo's are short or not.

Did that make any sense?
Now for a nap before work...

SirOni

Demon Girls #1 Fan
Reputation score

From what I can tell (My Flourish and Cutter are only at their T3 forms) the Cutter is the better sword all round however it does seem a bit harder to aim properly with as it sends you all over the place. Or at least in my experience that happens, though that being said I've got shit aim so I may be wrong. Also don't bother with a Hot Edge, or any of the Edge swords, as their max tier is T3.

Wonderboy

Lurker
Reputation score

Yeah, I only have the hot edge because I needed some elemental damage way back when I started. And it's good to hear that someone else finds the Cutter useful, there's so few high level players that use it's permutations, I was wondering why:/

Anyways, I love it, there's just something about flying all over the place with blades dancing around you that appeals to me...