What's new

The Nearly Dead Community Game

Giron

Lurker
Reputation score
Howdy folks. For reasons unbeknowst even to myself the time and notion to restart the Community Game sprung dynamically in to my head. I know this may seem slightly annoying to some of you, seeing as the whole thing went defunct twice now. I'm not certain if this time will be any better, but I AM cutting down some details of the design heavily (last time I got stuck on making the heroine's arms rise and fall as she aimed for instance. This time I'm just going to have her static without the arms following the targetting reticule.) I just wanted to give a heads up that I'm not dead, the game's not dead, and that I AM doing some work on it.

For you newer folks you can also ask questions about the project if you want details, but pretty much it's a 2D Hentai shooter, with mutated/zombie-like (NOT zombie) enemies constantly approaching while the heroine needs to work her way through each level to a end point with limited places to restock ammo and get weapons. Cheers!

Nunu

Despot
Former Admin
Reputation score
Re: The Nearly Dead Community Game

good to see you back.

Caulder

Is completely fucking irrelevant. And he's a bitch
RP Moderator
Reputation score

*Is glad to know this thing isn't dead*

Good to have you back, man. Here's hoping it's a stunning success. *thumbs up*

ZeroSpace

Lurker
Reputation score

Hi, nice to meet you, welcome back, etc.
Now just make sure you finish the game so we can cheer mmk? Tyvm.

Mamono Assault Force

Coon Tamer
RP Moderator
Reputation score

My heart skipped a beat when I saw his name.

He must be our messiah.

Diagasvesle

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Sounds awesome, read a little on tent heaven forum. Rep point for you.

ToxicShock

(And Reputation Manager)
Staff member
Administrator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Wait, community game but 2d shooter?

Chibichibi

Big Sis
Reputation score

I still have the stuff you made before if you need/want it

OP
Giron

Giron

Lurker
Reputation score

Thanks all, good to be back.

Chibi: If you could send me what you have it would be much appreciated. I've lost a lot of stuff here and there.

Diaga: I'll turn back the time machine and head over there.

Toxic: Yes. I love 3D as much as the next guy but the difficulty level on developing a 3D game is out the roof. I'll try to get some screenshots up when I can though, I think the results will be approvable.

ToxicShock

(And Reputation Manager)
Staff member
Administrator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

I meant the community part. I don't understand how they mix, as I see a 2d shooter as a singular game. Unless you mean by a community or for a community or something. I'm kinda new to this stuff but I hear community game and either think of some type of forum thing or completely mass online

ShadowWolfSBI

Chief Spam Hunter Why Are You Making Me Do This
Former Moderator
RP Moderator
Reputation score

It was originally called the Community Game, because the ideas for it were drawn from forum members.

ToxicShock

(And Reputation Manager)
Staff member
Administrator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Oh coolio, so it's just a title then? I was applying directly adjectively :(

I'm too literal

OP
Giron

Giron

Lurker
Reputation score

Here's a repost of the very general rundown of the game design thus far more or less. I'm still 100% open to ideas if you guys want to repost stuff I missed from the tentacle haven forum that you think might be interesting, or want to suggest new things to do. I'm starting on the game again today, spring break being the perfect time for such things, and I'll let you know how it goes.

Summary: The as-of-yet unnamed Community Game is a side-scrolling action shooter staring Abigail Moore, a recent graduate of the local police academy being assigned to her first station in a sleepy (also unnamed thus far) desert town. However, due to its remote location a nearby abandoned gold rush era mansion has been commissioned as scientific excavation and experimentation facility, buried in the desert beneath the ruins.

While digging, scientists at this facility uncovered a uniquie, statue-like artifact in the shape of a nude human, and extracted it for study. However, the statue carried upon it the dormant remains of an undetectable alien virus that at once begins to spread throughout the compound. This virus transmits through sexual contact, and rapidly evolves its new hosts to make them horribly efficient at this task. Without warning the virus breaks out upon the small town, infecting every male creature almost instantly. The males set out to hunt for females to either transform in to creatures themselves, or to capture and use for breeding for future generations of monsters. So, you play as Abigail Moore, fighting your way through the city toward the source of the disaster in order to shut down the original host and hopefully reverse the plague assaulting the city.

Levels:
Street - Starting level. Classic horror fare. Mutants/Zombies (not dead zombies for you who squirm at necrophilia Razz), twisted animals (wolves for now), small slime blobs, and things that are hopefully going to work like Alien-ish face-huggers except on all entrances.

Sewer - Heavy on the slime and gas critters that can cause effects that reverse keys (confusion) slow reaction times or even paralyze the heroine. Boss battle against "Snuggles", a huge blue tentacle monster.

Military Base - Fight your way past hulking humanoid creatures with huge muscularity, dogs, maybe some others if I can think of any. Boss battle against a captured and tansformed amazonian-ish, now shemale, captain of the base.

Haunted House - Fairies, tentacles, zombie/mutants, ghosts, spiders possibly, anything haunted-houseish. Also introducing traps to capture, weary, and immobilize the heroine.

Lab - Final level. Robots, electrical traps, transformed scientists, and "The Big Trap" with several entrances which will forcibly strip, and process the heroine before delivering her to the hive queen (for lack of a better name). Final boss battle against the Queen.

Gameplay - The goal is to go for a sidescrolling-ish type of Resident Evil 4, slower paced, deliberate, with ebbs and flows in difficulty. Ammo will be plentiful but still limited, more limited at hard difficulties, and the further you get in the level (1/4, 1/2, etc) will get you extra CGs for that level. So, if you lose to a zombie you might get one of three random zombie CGs, then depending on how far you got you'd get a certain number of special CGs for that level before the final shot of Abigail being dragged to the mansion with the classic "Game Over".

In general, suggestions are the best help you guys can offer. I might start another background-maknig competition some time soon, we'll have to see. If you want to contribute though this is an open project. It's our project, not mine, and your input is very much appreciated and will be throughly considered. If you have any questions just ask, or just shoot me a PM or e-mail. My IM is open too when I'm on, which isn't often Razz

P.S. The game is being done in Python programming language using the Pygame SDL wrapper for anyone who might care to know. Right now the resolution is at 800x600, and I'll probably add a toggled/fullscreen option.

Chibichibi

Big Sis
Reputation score

:'D There's the stuff you gave us a while back.

OP
Giron

Giron

Lurker
Reputation score

Much appreciated! Thanks Chibi :)

Chibichibi

Big Sis
Reputation score

no problem, I'm just glad i kept it.

OP
Giron

Giron

Lurker
Reputation score

Just a thought I've been having. What are some thoughts on switch the shooter to top-down instead of side-scrolling? It's a bit bizzare I'll admit, and not exactly with in common parameters. Just sort of a weird light that went off in my brain.

ShadowWolfSBI

Chief Spam Hunter Why Are You Making Me Do This
Former Moderator
RP Moderator
Reputation score

If you mean something like the old "twitch-shooters" as I like to call them, then perhaps it might be worth looking at.

Of course, some manner of graphic insert when the fun stuff starts happening might also be a good idea.

lurker

Hentai Master
Reputation score

HELL. FUCKING. YEAH!

WB Giron, VERY long time no see!

Unknown Squid

Aurani's Wife
Reputation score

You beat me to it Chibi. I'd been saving those files all this time too. A top down game may actually be superior in terms or game play, as well as being easier to create I'd imagine. The results of being stuck by an enemy would have to be a little different of course. Heroine gets knocked down to provide a better view maybe?

A second thought just flashed into my mind, since the phrase "Comunity Game" was mentioned and explained. I've recently been playing that Ryonancing Saga game, with all its contribution based content. Made a few basic enemies by modding existing ones myself. And so I just thought, why couldn't this game be something like that? If you can make the mechanics of the game open to us to add new critters, then this could really kick off. It'd make the title of Community Game make much more sense. Now I don't know a jot of useful coding, but when I see a sprite sheet and some open code in a txt file, I can't help but taking a look at what I can mess with. I don't know how that works exactly, but it sounds doable. I noticed the existing preview you showed us already had clearly named sprites. We could add a wealth of content for you, without actually needing to know the deeper end of the coding.