What's new

ANNOUNCEMENT: SOPA, PIPA, MEGAUPLOAD, AND THE FUTURE OF THE FORUMS

blackraven1425

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score
Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: SOPA, PIPA, MEGAUPLOAD, AND THE FUTURE OF THE FORUMS

the entire thing has been taken down and their assets have been seized (without any form of lawsuit mind) they took all the hardware and even a bunch of personal property from the founders using only a claim of foul play (again, no trial)
It's an indictment. That means they filed a lawsuit, not that there's no lawsuit involved at all, and that they'll never have a chance to defend themselves against the accusations. Mind, you shouldn't be able to shut down a website until proven guilty of the crimes, or in the rare circumstances where a judge would provide a temporary injunction pending trial (it happens more often in the realm of patents), but there is a lawsuit involved. This is actually the first step of a lawsuit brought by the DoJ against MU & Co.

The disturbing thing is that the entirety of the site's assets were seized and the site is shut down, which is going to be a huge blow to a business, even if it defends itself successfully against the lawsuit, and somehow manages to recover the seized property. It could take a year or more for it to be over, during which time an enormous amount of business would be lost.

And for the record:

Last edited:

Hemorage39r

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

Yeah, I ended up at a siteI clicked a link that emailed three different senators with an auto-generated message, and allowed me to put my own message. It literally is the easiest bandwagon to get on. AND the most important IMO!

censuur

Tentacle God
Reputation score

The scary part is also the ammount of media support this action is receiving, at least here in Holland the media is acting like what happen is perfectly normal and is intentionally releasing all sorts of "suspicious" (a.k.a. speculated a.k.a. forged) information about the people arrested, they claim the boss had a sawn of shotgun in his office if you can believe that...

What surprised me the most is the way in which the arrest occurred, as the people arrested had no criminal past nor violent past instead of simply using a warrant for their arrest or court order they went in with a full-scale task force and dragged them from their homes.

And like mentioned before, they didn't just freeze assets or seize potential evidence, they simply shut down a huge corporate business on charges alone and more appalling is that court precedents have already cleared owners of file management sites of criminal charges of this kind. Heck, youtube could be down next using this very same means, people post copyrighted stuff there all the time.

Another major concern is that it wasn't an american business that was taken down but an international one, even if their claim is true by american law the speed at which they did this is unbelievable, they have treated this as if taking down a major criminal cartel when all they have is an accusation that goes against all precedents.

And for those of you who would argue that youtube is doing their best to stop copyright infringement and thus wont be shut down like that, megaupload was constantly removing content that was copyrighted, the fact that they had no easy means to monitor the content that was posted on their service doesn't make them criminal.

This is dangerous. This is real. America is already acting like the police-state it's trying to become.

dog0810

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

The scary part is also the ammount of media support this action is receiving, at least here in Holland the media is acting like what happen is perfectly normal and is intentionally releasing all sorts of "suspicious" (a.k.a. speculated a.k.a. forged) information about the people arrested, they claim the boss had a sawn of shotgun in his office if you can believe that...

What surprised me the most is the way in which the arrest occurred, as the people arrested had no criminal past nor violent past instead of simply using a warrant for their arrest or court order they went in with a full-scale task force and dragged them from their homes.

And like mentioned before, they didn't just freeze assets or seize potential evidence, they simply shut down a huge corporate business on charges alone and more appalling is that court precedents have already cleared owners of file management sites of criminal charges of this kind. Heck, youtube could be down next using this very same means, people post copyrighted stuff there all the time.

Another major concern is that it wasn't an american business that was taken down but an international one, even if their claim is true by american law the speed at which they did this is unbelievable, they have treated this as if taking down a major criminal cartel when all they have is an accusation that goes against all precedents.

And for those of you who would argue that youtube is doing their best to stop copyright infringement and thus wont be shut down like that, megaupload was constantly removing content that was copyrighted, the fact that they had no easy means to monitor the content that was posted on their service doesn't make them criminal.

This is dangerous. This is real. America is already acting like the police-state it's trying to become.
Well I know that I announced on the oth Klub forum, that the bill has been dropped for the time being, they are already going to be short the 60 votes needed, it was announced yesterday.

dog0810

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

Well I know that I announced on the oth Klub forum, that the bill has been dropped for the time being, they are already going to be short the 60 votes needed, it was announced yesterday.
The Piracy Bill has been put on Ice, and is not determined when or if, it will come about again.

dog0810

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

The Piracy Bill has been put on Ice, and is not determined when or if, it will come about again.
I just checked and the P.I.P.A. bill has also been put on ice until further notice.

Sigfried

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

Yes. The bills have been iced.

But I can't shake off thiss feeling that the Megaupload case was way for the big companies behind SOPA and PIPA to tell us they can still do what they wan't, even without the laws.

And here in my country, the television news also only tell that Megauolias was a "piracy conglomerate that made major companies lose hundresds of millions".
The newspapers give more detail, but do their best in remaining neutral.

censuur

Tentacle God
Reputation score

I hope you all realise that the bills that have now been shot down are only a symptom of the disease, the real problem has yet to even be addressed, let alone solved.

Despite what the news will tell you, megaupload was as much of a legitimate business as dropbox, for storing and exchanging files (or is that illegal now?) and many businesses used megaupload for those purposes.

Coy47

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

it doesn' make sense to close megaupload down it had nothing to do with the owner hacking I mean they hardly shut down all rupert murdochs companies when he got caught hacking into peoples phones.

helhansen84

Lurker
Reputation score

good thing about internet is, you just have to copy the sourcecode/data/information and start over at another "space".
you cannot get rid of data multiplying everywhere... if you dont want to shut the whole thing down.
as a user, you should laugh at all the resources that are wasted to wage war with a stick and harsh words against fog.

if those fat old company bosses fail to realize what is going on, then they're precious companies just have to die. its only natural selection. survival of the fattest shall not be.

Last edited:

AceofWind

Tentacle God
Reputation score

it doesn' make sense to close megaupload down it had nothing to do with the owner hacking I mean they hardly shut down all rupert murdochs companies when he got caught hacking into peoples phones.
Huh? Last time I read, MU was shut down and most of it's employees arrested because of a suspected Pyramid Scheme. It was gaining huge profit from it's users by providing premium accounts which usually require it's users to pay for and hosting U.S copyrighted content without permission and willingly chose not to entirely remove the infringing content. When was hacking part of the reason?

Last edited:

Coy47

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

Huh? Last time I read, MU was shut down and most of it's employees arrested because of a suspected Pyramid Scheme. It was gaining huge profit from it's users by providing premium accounts which usually require it's users to pay for and hosting U.S copyrighted content without permission and willingly chose not to entirely remove the infringing content. When was hacking part of the reason?
hmm I can't remember exactly plus I thought only 4 people got arrested, I know for sure there was a revenge hack against the FBI though

AceofWind

Tentacle God
Reputation score

hmm I can't remember exactly plus I thought only 4 people got arrested, I know for sure there was a revenge hack against the FBI though
Yeah, 4 of the 7 employees were arrested and afterwards, a DDoS attacks was done on a few websites by Anonymous in retaliation but I don't think MU was charged for it.

wunderground90

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

Kind of a dumb thing to do IMO, because not ALL files on megaupload were pirated, many people used it as a simple file hosting website for their own creations.

SmokinAce27

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

This just pisses me off. I served in the US Airforce for 4 1/2 years fighting for (or so I wanted to desperately believe) the rights that countless others before me had fought, bled, and died for. The rights that every human being on this planet deserves! And now the United States Government does this....might as well have slapped me in the face and told me my service meant jack shit...

Of all the tyrants we've faced over the years, our own government has become the most dangerous of all....

Stepping down off my soapbox, Megaupload kinda screwed itself over by charging for a premium account. If money is exchanged in anyway for copyrighted materials it is considered piracy and should be illegal.

Peer to peer sharing however should not be considered piracy. My friend loans me his new cd, i burn a copy of it onto a blank disc and return the original to him. No money changed hands between us, but should I really go to jail for not paying a company 20$ to get my own copy? Can I even listen to his cd in the car, or do I have to pay a royalty to the company to listen? Does my girlfriend have to buy the same dvd as me so we can both watch it together? CAN I EVEN QUOTE DIRTY HARRY WITHOUT PAYING THE COMPANY A FEE??!!

Alright, perhaps a bit exaggerated (only a little, thats the scary part) but y'all get the idea. Signed the petition and will continue to monitor the situation while muttering voodoo curses against congress (yeah, I said it!! Come get me FBI!!)

Ace says Deuces

Radjulz

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

This just pisses me off...
This.

I know I already voiced my opinion on this on the first page, but let me add that We the People of the United States of America are a very interesting bunch. First of all, our Government was created to serve the People, US citizens, but ultimately became an entity of its own. After all, it was first called Our Governing Body and not -The- Government. There is a very clear disassociation through how The Government is spoken. It is no longer part of We and instead functions to serve itself under the pretense of protecting its population. However, were that true, we wouldn't have a failing education system (which is, I might add, the backbone of our future as a country and a World Power, unless they plan on having our country run in the future by only the people that can afford private schooling. Hmm...). After all, there are no better people to control than ignorant people.

If people were educated as to how to properly control their governing body then The government would lose their power. For example:

On December 16, 1950, during the Korean War, President Truman issued Presidential Proclamation No. 2914, declaring a state of national emergency. The Supreme Court ruling in Youngstown Sheet & Tube Co. v. Sawyer established, in 1952, that presidents may not act contrary to Acts of Congress during an emergency.

During the Watergate scandal which erupted in the 1970s after President Richard Nixon authorized a variety of illegal acts, Congress investigated the extent of the President's powers and belatedly realized that the U.S. had been in a continuous state of emergency since 1950. As a result, in 1976 the National Emergencies Act set a limit of two years on emergency declarations unless the president explicitly extends them, and requiring the president to specify in advance which legal provisions will be invoked. The Act terminated the emergency of 1950 on September 14, 1978; however, even in the 21st century, the federal courts have upheld harsh penalties (including deportation) for crimes that occurred during the state of national emergency from 1950 to 1978, where the penalties were escalated because of the existence of that emergency.

The 1977 International Emergency Economic Powers Act allows freezing of assets, limiting of trade, and confiscation of property during a declared emergency.

The United States is formally in an ongoing limited state of emergency declared by several Presidents for several reasons. A state of emergency began on January 24, 1995 with the signing of Executive Order 12947 by President Bill Clinton. In accordance with the National Emergencies Act, the executive order's actual effect was not a declaration of a general emergency, but a limited embargo on trade with "Terrorists Who Threaten To Disrupt the Middle East Peace Process". This "national emergency" was expanded in 1998 to include additional targets such as Osama bin Laden, and has been continued to at least 2008 by order of President George W. Bush. There are a number of other ongoing national emergencies of this type, regarding for instance diamond trade with Sierra Leone. Especially noteworthy are the ongoing states of emergency declared on November 14, 1979 regarding the Iran Hostage Crisis, that declared on March 15, 1995 with respect to Iran, and that declared on September 14, 2001 through Bush's Proclamation 7463, regarding the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001.

President Barack Obama extended George Bush's Declaration of Emergency regarding terrorism on September 10, 2009 and again on September 10, 2010.

What does this all mean and how does it concern the abuse of government power in pretense for the betterment of its people including, but not limited to, the censorship and prosecution of anyone or anything contrary to the interests of the The Government?

This is only one aspect of the horribly clouded history of the pursuit of Truth, Justice, and the American Way and is an insight to how something with the best of intentions can lead to a massive sudden abuse of power. After all, while 'limited', it is STILL an ongoing State of Emergency concerning the War on Terrorism that we see so much today. Toss in this:

The National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2012, or NDAA, was recently signed off by US President Barack Obama. Under the legislation, the Department of Defense is guaranteed spending appropriations for a 12-month span. Thanks to certain provisions snuck in, however, the US government is granted the powers to indefinitely detain and torture American citizens without charge, essentially creating Guantanamo Prison-style detention possibilities for anyone deemed a threat by American authorities.

I'm not a conspiracy theorist. But you don't invest as much money on Non Lethal weaponry as the US has because you don't use Non Lethal weapons on another country. You use it on your own.

Add the reactions to the Occupy Movement in demonstration that the public can and will rise up against its own government and its affiliates if needed and the picture gets a little clearer. Not to mention that Congress has an Ace up its sleeve (sorry SmokinAce27!) to force the President to do, during this extended state of emergency, anything that it rules in majority concerning the legal venues for which the SOE has been issued or extended.

This isn't just a matter of fighting the censorship and prosecution (or lack of prosecution if offenders are labelled a threat) of the basis of the World's Social and Economic Infrastructure (after all, most main company servers for international businesses are located in the US). This is just another step closer to what many people believe will become a very violent change.

Does anyone else from the US here remember how, back during the W. Bush Administration, people became scared to even discuss politics on the street? Anonymity on the Internet has been one of the only saving graces for media, and while it does not concern piracy as 'a threat to immaterial rights', how long until that proposed censorship blots out the ability to share opinion and fact much like has already happened in News media on air and on paper? The only truthful news we can get in the US anymore, truly, is BBC News. Thank you, UK! Though, I admit, I read BBC News on the internet. Will it get blocked, too? :p

AceofWind

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Looks like we might have a new problem. In a likely response to MU's shut down, the filesharing site called Uploaded.to has decided to block U.S access to it's services.

This action on that site's part could encourage other filesharing sites to do the same in order to avoid sharing the fate befallen on MU.

blackraven1425

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

They're guilty under the DMCA, no doubt about it. The disturbing thing is the way they shut it down on the indictment, rather than any sort of injunction given by the courts in a pretrial hearing.

As far as I now understand, MU's main issue was that when a file was uploaded, they hashed it. If it matched a file already on their servers, they just used the same copy already on the servers, so multiple links would point to one file. The problem was in their DMCA procedure, where they would, n request of a copyright owner, take down the specific link mentioned in the request, but leave the file, still claimed to be infringing, on their servers. That means they quite clearly were knowingly distributing copyrighted content, even after receiving a DMCA request.

On top of that, there's a whole slew of internal emails that show that many officers were trading links to copyrighted content available on the service amongst themselves, and even providing links to copyrighted content they had uploaded.

If those two are both true, not only is it clear that they were violating copyright laws and profiting from it, but they SHOULD be taken down. They're not the good guys here, and rallying around them is just going to dilute the strength of the argument against SOPA/PIPA if there's an association between the movement against SOPA/PIPA and the movement in support of MU. That's a deadly blow for the anti SOPA/PIPA movement in the public eye, and will push many on the fence to associate anyone with that movement with the pirates that MU will very likely be proven to be in court.

akaterasu

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score

Looks like we might have a new problem. In a likely response to MU's shut down, the filesharing site called Uploaded.to has decided to block U.S access to it's services.

This action on that site's part could encourage other filesharing sites to do the same in order to avoid sharing the fate befallen on MU.
Ugh... This is definitely troubling news.

Despite these bills being put on hold, we're likely gonna see more backlash, such as this, in the following days. I was naive to think things are gonna be just like before this issue popped up.

Surfing the internet may never be the same...

*insert epic facepalm meme here*

Last edited:

censuur

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Thing is, despite what megaupload personnel did in their private time, megaupload as a corporation broke no laws. In leaving copyrighted documents on their file sharing services they broke no laws as the owners of said files (the people that legitimately owned them) should still be able to access the products they own.

If I purchased a megaupload premium account and uploaded several files so I could download them to a different terminal it would be perfectly legal to do so, then someone else uploads the same file and shares it illegally that link would get taken down but the file stays (after all, I should still have access to it)

Just because megaupload used an efficient storage method doesn't mean they willingly supported piracy or committed a crime.

As for the internal emails, those are private and not corporate, if an employee of a bike shop steal a bike then should the entire company be shut down because it was indirectly involved in the theft of the property is deals in? ridiculous, especially since megaupload got shut down entirely without so much as a conviction. Not to mention private emails under these circumstances should be considered illegal evidence as beyond that illegal evidence they don't seem to have any grounds for procuring private documentation, you can't search someone's house without a warrant and then use what you find to get a warrant after all.

Make no mistake, it's likely that the people that were arrested are no saints, but that doesn't mean megaupload as a company is criminal nor does it excuse the downright criminal methods used during these proceedings.

We've seen U.S officials invade other countries, invade other countries to assassinate unknown individuals, dump their remains in the ocean and get away with it simply by claiming it was a wanted terrorist and now we have them shutting down international business and arresting its employee's, no court order or normal arrest, they actually went with a full scale police force, helicopters included for the executives of an internet company with no criminal or violent past and all this excessive force without any kind of conviction or solid evidence.

How far are you willing to let your government go? Is america truly the police-state its acting like it is? Are you okay with that?

Just like you rallied against SOPA, it's past time you rallied against your own government breaking hundreds of international laws casually (heck, I barely mentioned the tip of the iceberg) and going directly against your own constitution without any sort of valid excuse.