Dark Gate OOC Thread

OP
Tassadar

Tassadar

Panda King
RP Moderator
Reputation score
Re: Dark Gate OOC Thread

Impressive, yes, moreso considering I gotta dig up a calculator, just to make my character. :p
Yeah, that was done a while ago to create a more appeasing curve. It was later removed in favor of more static scaling, which is why I ask people who I am to GM for to use the DG4 beta rules.

Pervy

Dances with Girl-Cocks
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Yeah, that was done a while ago to create a more appeasing curve. It was later removed in favor of more static scaling, which is why I ask people who I am to GM for to use the DG4 beta rules.
Speaking from the perspective of new people coming to the rp, this is not very transparent. I can work with either, but for the sake of consistency among characters should update it.

Anyway, impressive writeup, I do have a question, lorewise, how tightly are the lines drawn, I.e. what if I want to have a monstrous race fight for the good guys, by what I gander the corruption-mechanic disavows this?

Last edited:

Termite

A bug
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Gonna need a better example, especially since good and bad can be rather subjective in this setting.

OP
Tassadar

Tassadar

Panda King
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Speaking from the perspective of new people coming to the rp, this is not very transparent. I can work with either, but for the sake of consistency among characters should update it.

Anyway, impressive writeup, I do have a question, lorewise, how tightly are the lines drawn, I.e. what if I want to have a monstrous race fight for the good guys, by what I gander the corruption-mechanic disavows this?
The DG4 rules are not entirely finished and are updated constantly, which is much easier to do in googledocs than on a forum. When they're a little more polished out and all of the content is done I intend to give them a thread.

What Termite said on your second question. How much leeway is allowed depends largely on which race you are referring to. It also depends on how serious you'd want the RP to be, I sometimes play fast and loose with my own lore and I mostly don't care what other GMs do; except for the threads run by Hafnium and thetwo most of the ones that I'm not in charge of are only loosely canon anyway, so people can have fun without worrying about being too stringent with the lore.

Also, corruption in terms of its mental effects is largely roleplayed out rather than explicitly required. I at least prefer to let people do what they want with it, but I let the other people using the system/setting play it more or less however they want.

Pervy

Dances with Girl-Cocks
RP Moderator
Reputation score

I see, thanks for explaining things, I wasn't quite sure how hands on this all was, I think I now have a solid character concept in mind.

I'm pondering doing a heroic goblin character, primarly because I listened to too much nekrogoblikon and found a good picture, but I found myself struggling a bit with the lore, which is vast, but a bit all over the place, in defining goblins as plant creatures, demons and lesser fey respectively, which is amusingly all real world lore conclusive, but at the same time a little confusing to see where they stand.

GargantuaBlarg

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Iiii have never seen them called plants??

There are goblins, who are demons, and kobolds, who are yellow and basically-goblins except they're fairies. In both cases they're basically mooks who get shit on 24/7 IIRC.

dragoon93041

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Nesak is going to correct that (for Kobolds anyway; he doesn't give a shit about goblins). You'll see! YOU WILL ALL SEE!

Hafnium

Despair Fetishist
RP Moderator
Reputation score

I've been around DG since 2011 and have never seen goblins defined as lesser faeries or plants. They've always been minor demons in DG lore.

Mamono Assault Force

Coon Tamer
RP Moderator
Reputation score

I've been around long enough to make one my waifu, proving once again that anything can be waifu material.

Pervy

Dances with Girl-Cocks
RP Moderator
Reputation score

I've been around DG since 2011 and have never seen goblins defined as lesser faeries or plants. They've always been minor demons in DG lore.
Well, I admit, you can read it one of two ways, but:

From Dark Gate Lore, Childrens and lifespans:

Alraune, Goblins, Faerie Spiders, and other plant creatures not yet listed all have heavily shortened lifespans compared to humans, and rarely living past 40 years.
See, this list starts off with a plant creature, names other plant creatures, and names something, a 'faerie spider' that on first read kinda sounds like it could be an either amazing, or horrible plant crature as well. To me it is phrased as to imply goblins are among the list of plant creatures.

The next entry is from that same one is:
Some races create unique combinations or reproduce in unique ways, however, and these are listed below.
-Monstrous creatures will produce a creature that is completely of their own race with any partner other than an alraune or an arachne. These include (among others) non-humanoid demons like ogres, hellhounds, and nightmares, tentacle monsters, hunters, the lesser fey like kobolds goatmen and trolls, minotaurs, and goblins.
Now that one seems to read to me as 'The lesser fey like:' Kobolds, goatmen and trolls, minotaurs and goblins.
Real life lore wise Kobols, goatmen and trolls all qualify as fey, not so much minotaurs, but it seems to imply that, if it was only 'the lesser fey like kobolds' there'd need to be a comma there to seperate it from goatmen.

Now I get that the spirit of the matter is propably to have them as lesser demons, just saying what I read here on an unbiased readthrough. ^^

OP
Tassadar

Tassadar

Panda King
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Well, I admit, you can read it one of two ways, but:

From Dark Gate Lore, Childrens and lifespans:

See, this list starts off with a plant creature, names other plant creatures, and names something, a 'faerie spider' that on first read kinda sounds like it could be an either amazing, or horrible plant crature as well. To me it is phrased as to imply goblins are among the list of plant creatures.

The next entry is from that same one is:

Now that one seems to read to me as 'The lesser fey like:' Kobolds, goatmen and trolls, minotaurs and goblins.
Real life lore wise Kobols, goatmen and trolls all qualify as fey, not so much minotaurs, but it seems to imply that, if it was only 'the lesser fey like kobolds' there'd need to be a comma there to seperate it from goatmen.

Now I get that the spirit of the matter is propably to have them as lesser demons, just saying what I read here on an unbiased readthrough. ^^
Ahhh. Both of those implications are unintentional and result from me listing things in the order in which I remember that they exist while trying to write out a lore entry so that people would stop asking me "how long 4 babby to come out" as often as they used to.

Pervy

Dances with Girl-Cocks
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Ahhh. Both of those implications are unintentional and result from me listing things in the order in which I remember that they exist while trying to write out a lore entry so that people would stop asking me "how long 4 babby to come out" as often as they used to.
I was like 90% sure that was what it was, just going by the casual grammar error ya build in and your relative aptitude if you -want- to write a proper writeup of things by comparison, its just a source of bemusement to me and as i said, what makes this more amusing is that depending on which movie/historic lore you use all three could be correct.

Welp, to edit, Ruxi the heroic gobo is up for grabs, just poke/pm if interested.

Last edited:

dragoon93041

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Anyone interested in GMing an sidhe that's been warped by the aliens into an enemy agent?

EDIT:

Link here

Last edited:

Ranger9000

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Anyone interested in GMing for any of the four characters I just posted?

Tyragor

Evard's Tentacles of Forced Intrusion
Reputation score

Heyo. Anyone looking to GM for someone looking for some fun Dark Gate antics? I'm an active poster! But whatever pace you wanna set is fine. Toss me a PM if you wanna go over anything.

TentanariX

Lurker
Reputation score

For anyone in the know, could you tell me which edition of the rules were using for character creation. Are we on DG4 yet, or are we still using 3.5 for the most part? Thanks in advance. :)

Mamono Assault Force

Coon Tamer
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Either or, with preference to DG4 since Tass wants to do lossa testing.

And DG4 is better.

TentanariX

Lurker
Reputation score

Thank ye MAF.

Three questions
1.) Is more than 2 or 3 background or other templates excessive?
2.) If 2 two templates say you get X amount of trade dice do they stack or do you just get X amount?
3.)Do background template trade dice add onto racial or replace them?

TentanariX

Lurker
Reputation score

Could someone help me by letting me know if we are limited/restricted to background template per character or not; and if so which ones I should drop from my characters I posted and which trades to reduce/remove to make my characters acceptable? Thanks in advance. :)