What's new

Quartz

Evard's Tentacles of Forced Intrusion
Reputation score
Re: Hate Thread

Being stupid regarding homosexuality isn't just an American thing though.

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Good-ol' American Evangelical Judo-Christian values for you. Homosexuality is icky...
Careful saying that. Apparantly it's a bad thing to not be pleased with right wing extremist groups. It's 'overused'.

SirOni

Demon Girls #1 Fan
Reputation score

Right, time to get -rep'd.

Religion is bollocks and isn't needed in this day and age. We've got far better reasons to wage war on people now, terrorism and oil spring to mind. Sure, there're people who hide behind religion and use it as a scapegoat, and you know what I call those people? Pussies. Man up and face the world for the cruel, uncaring place that it is. And then there's a gaybashers. Which I find hilarious. So its alright for your priests to bugger little boys and not alright for two consenting same sex adults not to? Man, I'm glad that makes fucking sense.

Then there are actually the few that practise religion properly. I dont have a problem with those people because they aren't being the gaybashing, religion spewing fucktards the majority are being.

Incubus

Horn Dog
Reputation score

Ah, the old Wine to Grape Juice thing.

I know it happened in Phoenix Wright, but in the most recent one I played; being Edgeworth Investigations, they almost seemed to be parodying the fact that people often translate it as grape juice when they had a rich businessman flying first class surrounded by wine glasses of "grape juice" and bottles, and clearly acting a little intoxicated.

And from the people who brought us

Lisa Basil: I'm sorry. That data is SuPer Admin Restricted Desktop Access password-protected.
Maya Fey: SuPer Admin Restricted Desktop Access password-protected!? What!? This is madness!
Phoenix Wright: No, Maya. That is SPARDA. She won't tell us unless we say the right code word.
I wouldn't be surprised to see them do such a thing.

Kusanagi

Chief Nippleseer
Reputation score

Right, time to get -rep'd.

Religion is bollocks and isn't needed in this day and age. We've got far better reasons to wage war on people now, terrorism and oil spring to mind. Sure, there're people who hide behind religion and use it as a scapegoat, and you know what I call those people? Pussies. Man up and face the world for the cruel, uncaring place that it is. And then there's a gaybashers. Which I find hilarious. So its alright for your priests to bugger little boys and not alright for two consenting same sex adults not to? Man, I'm glad that makes fucking sense.

Then there are actually the few that practise religion properly. I dont have a problem with those people because they aren't being the gaybashing, religion spewing fucktards the majority are being.
Well, if they're going to -rep you, might as well get me, too.
Although I'm sure I had a better post, this is the one I could find easiest:
(http://www.ulmf.org/bbs/showpost.php?p=67716&postcount=117)

Kusanagi said:
(25 June, 2009)

RAWRGLE FRAWRGLE.

Anyways.

My opinion on (any) Religion: self-serving man-made bullshit stories.

Now before anyone goes bitching, I would like to point out that yes, good things have come out of religion: the sense of right and wrong, encouragement to play nicely with others, etc.
I would also like to point out that I DO in fact believe in a higher power: whether it's any specific god/gods/goddess/goddesses/god(s) and goddess(es), I don't know.

Now, as to why I believe all Religion to be man-made self-serving BS: who wrote these 'Holy' scriptures? Man. Who convinced others to join a specific religion? Man. Who wrote that Jesus was the son of God? Man.
I believe Jesus was a real person. I believe that Jesus wanted us to all get along. I do not believe that Jesus ever called himself the son of God, people simply wanted him to be so badly that they made themselves believe.

Just look at religion today: too many 'corrupt' people in positions of power in these religions. They use the religion as an excuse to commit atrocities and then have the audacity to blame their actions on said religion. Heck, take the Muslim religion for example. Muslims used to be all about spreading knowledge and wisdom; nowadays you only find those Muslims outside of the Middle East or dead. Why? All because some nut jobs gained power, translated the 'holy' text too literally, and decided they were supposed to purge the entire world of the 'infidels'... hmm, sounds like a pissed off follower of nazism(sp?) got into power there or something.

I want to believe that there is truth in these 'Holy' scriptures about the past. I want to believe that someone out there is telling the truth about the past.
Unfortunately, the public has been lied to and kept unaware of so many things no matter what religion it is they belong to, that I find it hard to believe that there is much truth out there anymore.

Don't agree with me? That's okay, you're allowed to believe what you wish, I could really care less as long as you're a decent human being.
Feel the need to bitch me out, or 'set me straight'? Go ahead. If there's a fact I'm missing, I'll gladly look into it.

In my mind, in the end, it matters not what you believe in as far as religion goes; it's your actions that make who you are.
If you were a shitty person in life, then good riddance, let your corpse rot. I could care less where you go in the afterlife, what matters is you're no longer able to do shitty things.
If you were a good person, then I shall remember you 'till the day I am gone as well; maybe even after that, if there is an afterlife and I retain my memories.

Gatorbait

*hic*
Reputation score

To me, there is religion, and there is spirituality. I consider myself Christian, but I don't practice and organized religion. My personal belief is that if you behave morally and try to do the right thing, you'll be rewarded. Call it religion, call it spirituality, call it karma; I do not care. At the end of the day it makes me feel good and I'm not forcing my views on anyone.

I think that's basically the same view Oni mentioned. Glad I'm not the only person out there... so i guess I need to be -repped too...

Oh and for whomever it was who was you said my last post was unintentional humor, it was definitely intentional ^.^

lurker

Hentai Master
Reputation score

Religion in my opinion is similar to bodies of water- different names, but each have truths. It's when ya get extremists (like crusaders and the modern middle-eastern terrorist) who don't agree with the fundamental truths is when ya get problems.

Mamono Assault Force

Coon Tamer
RP Moderator
Reputation score

I hate that Vindictus is taking SOOO long to download.

Was looking forward to playing it today.

Kusanagi

Chief Nippleseer
Reputation score

I hate that Vindictus is taking SOOO long to download.

Was looking forward to playing it today.
I have no clue what's going on with that. When I downloaded it during early-access, it took maybe 20-30 minutes. Right now, just patching, been sitting here for 2 hours, and it's only 1/3 of the way done. They had damn-well better have added in something of epic proportions.

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Heh, I pretty much agree with what everyone's said so far in accordance with organized religion.

I have my own spiritual beliefs, believe in higher powers, but it's when religion starts to get organized that it scares me.

Quartz

Reputation score

I dislike it when people criticize "religion" and then proceed to talk about the Abrahamic faiths almost exclusively. There are so many religions and subsets of religions out there that it's really not fair to paint with a broad brush. Even in one religion, you can get ridiculously varied belief systems. I'm not sure there are many statements that can be said about all religions other than "They are religions".

Also as a history buff, I'd like to point out to Kusanagi that the reason the intellectual tradition faded in the middle east didn't have much to do with the translation of the Quran changing, but that it got squished between the Crusades and the Mongols and never really recovered after the sack of Baghdad.

OAMP

Turtle Poker
Reputation score

Eh, you could say that you could lump all organized religion together by the fact that they are organized and led by humans, which is the point some make.

Quartz

Reputation score

It's still not fair to apply criticisms of a few organized religions to all others.

OAMP

Turtle Poker
Reputation score

It's still not fair to apply criticisms of a few organized religions to all others.
My point was that one criticism CAN be applied to all organized religions, unless you're telling me they aren't made up of humans :p

ToxicShock

(And Reputation Manager)
Staff member
Administrator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

I hate that I always get predictably sick throughout the entire winter season. Within 3 days, I go from minor dizzying headaches, to overall soreness despite no physical activity, muscle stiffness originating from my neck which spreads to my lower back, and then joint weakening til I start buckling just from walking, and for the past week and a half I've not been able to sit down for ten minutes without running to the bathroom to fix the leakiness of my nose, which would be simpler if it were only leaky and not stuffy at the same time. Apparently, I have a small nose canal, but still manage to generate and house 5 and a half pounds of fluid from it every hour to the point that I can't even stay in my classes, then the fluids go to my eyes and they start to burn and uncontrollably water as bad as my nose, feeling like someone's been blowing cigarette smoke directly into them, and then strep throat and of course the universal vomiting and diarrhea symptoms, and my throat wouldn't feel so terrible if the only place my face wasn't missing fluids was the back of my tongue, so my dry cough leads to more irritation, and retching with each coughing fit, which is more vomiting. And this, like it does every year, will either last for the next 2 weeks, or until early February.

Yet in the summer, I'm fucking practically Triathlon-Man. I'm convinced I'm either part plant or part robot and I'm solar powered. There's no way anyone likes the amount of heat and sun I do. My college actually popularly picks students from Africa to enroll, because it makes the college look better through community efforts, and of course they'll try their ass off to stay here, and they get to fill their quota of black people without frightening away prospective white students because of urban culture. And in the freshman dorms, the heat control for 2 different pairs of rooms were in only one... mine. And as I sit in my room with my preferred heat, with my sweatshirt on and zipped up and hood on, I get a knock on the door and 3 guys straight from africa were sweating, shirtless or in wife beaters, pleading me to turn it down.

On the other side of things, if my roommate so much as leaves the fan on when I'm sleeping, I'll wake up with a cold.

Last edited:

Quartz

Reputation score

I guess I just don't see that as a criticism. Communication of ideas isn't inherently evil. It's the individual views and resulting actions that are good or bad.

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

I dislike it when people criticize "religion" and then proceed to talk about the Abrahamic faiths almost exclusively. There are so many religions and subsets of religions out there that it's really not fair to paint with a broad brush. Even in one religion, you can get ridiculously varied belief systems. I'm not sure there are many statements that can be said about all religions other than "They are religions".
My entire point with religion, and distaste for it comes from the extremists, and the ones who bark the loudest. It just so happens that in this day and age the loudest and most extreme tend to be of the Abrahamic faiths, and so my arguments do tend to lead towards those faiths almost exclusively.

I also don't bring cults and crazy shit like Scientology into the discussion because I don't see any redeeming qualities to them, and have only read, hear and seen negative elements whereas I've seen many positive elements from Abrahamic faiths.

I've yet to hear of any Wiccan terrorist cells, or Buddhist hate groups leaping up and around in this modern age, which is why I tend not to mention them. You hear of any and I will correct my stance.

Another factor that drives me nuts about extremists of Abrahamic faiths is that I was always under the impression these beliefs were of love, forgiveness and understanding, yet the extremists and loud barkers use them for their own ends and to spread hate and loathing.

R

Ryka

Old peoples' hate and disrespect for things they don't understand. Sometimes they seem like the Anti-Nerd.

SirOni

Demon Girls #1 Fan
Reputation score

To me, there is religion, and there is spirituality. I consider myself Christian, but I don't practice and organized religion. My personal belief is that if you behave morally and try to do the right thing, you'll be rewarded. Call it religion, call it spirituality, call it karma; I do not care. At the end of the day it makes me feel good and I'm not forcing my views on anyone.

I think that's basically the same view Oni mentioned. Glad I'm not the only person out there... so i guess I need to be -repped too...

Oh and for whomever it was who was you said my last post was unintentional humor, it was definitely intentional ^.^
It seems you've misunderstood what I was talking about. I don't believe in any of that 'spiritual' bullshit. We're all here because of one big coincidence, no one is looking out for us all and we're not going to a happy place when we die. This is a cruel, uncaring existence, and regardless of what we were like in life when we're dead we'll all become big rotting buffet tables of the maggots and other creepy crawlies. Sure that may sound nihilistic, but its the way I see how the world works.

Dont get me wrong, I'm not trying to force people not to believe in whatever mystical being just putting forward what I believe.