What's new

ULMF Minecraft Server (Address can be found on first post)

OAMP

Turtle Poker
Reputation score
Re: ULMF Minecraft Server

Yeah, when I started playing creative was still sort of up to date, but the fact that you got everything for free, the lack of night, and crap water physics annoyed me. I'd still like a water revamp though, so you could actually flood things instead of making small trickles.

OP
maikochan

maikochan

User #69
Reputation score

Yah, the flood mechanics are a little boring, but I did make an awsome under-water waterslide for getting my boats back down to my secret underground boat elevator. It still has a bad habit of breaking the boats just as they get to the bottom though.

OAMP

Turtle Poker
Reputation score

Speaking of water and the incident I posted up there, that was right after I accidentally made a cool secret escape route. While I've had plenty of experience with underwater building, tunnels on the seafloor, entire buildings down there, etc, enough so that I could probably specialize in it on our server, I still managed to stumble upon something that I just had to incorperate into my house (that I now have to rebuild slightly).

My first mine, actually making it professional with hallways instead of all willy nilly for once, in hopes of having a nice looking underground base later, I made a long hall and got a wall of dirt. Now I knew I was probably under water, as I'm in the middle of an ocean with pretty small, but steep islands. However, as it turned out, my roof of the tunnel was actually water level, so when I accidentally broke through it was like a ready made hole to swim out and up right under the overhang of my tower. Any higher and it would be possible to enter without going all the way under, but as is one has to swim and almost drown to get out. I'm now in the process of installing iron doors and a control that only lets it open from the inside. Then it'll function as an escape hatch and a mob drowner.

Unknown Squid

Aurani's Wife
Reputation score

I was experimenting with several boat elevator designs myself today. Provided the buckets are working properly, I reckon one of the first projects we should do is a boat elevator from surface to core. It would allow for easy mining of diamonds and a rapid (+fun) method to get back to the surface. When going from top to bottom even ladders can be pretty slow.

I have enjoyed building large structures in creative multiplayer. The lack of resource gathering time and easy modifications of mistakes is perfect for simply designing stuff. The flaw of creative multiplayer is that public servers quickly flood with clashing builds and if there's any room left its more often than not in the shadow of a giant gaudy solid gold hotel, and sandwiched between the griefed Mario pixel art and the giant swastika. Even the community servers like WoM with the themed maps, fill up and have to reset weekly to allow it to continue.

I miss my shopping mall project and dwarven city. The mall was fun since I just built a layout and invited people to come and design their own stores within it's lots. The underground city was friggin huge. Had some friends helping. Among other things it included a pretty epic subterranean coliseum surrounded with lava. I wish I'd taken some screen shots now.

OAMP

Turtle Poker
Reputation score

The site is back.

In the last 24 hours, 7369 people registered, and 3671 people bought the game.

Seems like sales are pretty good too. Up to 180k total, was near 40k when I first found it about three-four months ago.

OP
maikochan

maikochan

User #69
Reputation score

This game is definatly picking up popularity fast. I don't think Notch really knew how quickly it would grow.

The minecraft forums are still down though, so I can't tap into that well of knowledge yet.

Mamono Assault Force

Coon Tamer
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Curses, free-to-play is no longer available. And I don't currently have the money to pay the ten bucks.

Off to visit my local pirate, I suppose...

OAMP

Turtle Poker
Reputation score

Eh, minecraft is pretty hard to pirate now.

Oh, and the wiki is, and always has been, still up, as its a wikia.

Quartz

Evard's Tentacles of Forced Intrusion
Reputation score

This game is definatly picking up popularity fast. I don't think Notch really knew how quickly it would grow.

The minecraft forums are still down though, so I can't tap into that well of knowledge yet.
Seriously, the game took off like crazy in the past couple months or so. On top of that, with the penny arcade strips Notch said he's making money faster than he can actually receive it via paypal. His transactions are backlogged. Hopefully he doesn't spend it all on just hookers and blow.

OAMP

Turtle Poker
Reputation score

Seriously, the game took off like crazy in the past couple months or so. On top of that, with the penny arcade strips Notch said he's making money faster than he can actually receive it via paypal. His transactions are backlogged. Hopefully he doesn't spend it all on just hookers and blow.
He expanded to the company to 300% its starting size, that is to say, they now have 3 people :D

I believe paypal actually shut him down for a few days while they made sure he wasn't getting cash from illegal activities, the jump was that big.

SirOni

Demon Girls #1 Fan
Reputation score

Am I the only one who plays on peaceful mode then?

Quartz

Evard's Tentacles of Forced Intrusion
Reputation score

I love to hate creepers too much to play peaceful.

OP
maikochan

maikochan

User #69
Reputation score

I like building without having to worry about enemies, so I play in peaceful mostly.

For the server, I seem to have two choices. I can either build the machine here and run it through my internet connection, or I can get a dedicated server or VPN and host it through that.

Building the machine Pros:
It's simple to run and manage, the computer will physically be in my apartment.
It won't require any monthly fees beyond my regular internet service.

Cons:
It'll require more money up front.
If my internet goes down, so does the server.
It may not be as fast as a dedicated/VPN (though I was playing with a friend the other day on a server I hosted on my machine, and it ran rather well).

Dedicated/VPN Pros:
Independant of my own internet access to run.
I won't have to worry about hardware problems and I won't have a computer taking up room that I won't be using that much.

Cons:
Monthy costs.
I'm rather inexperianced about these things.
Requires remote access to administer the server.

At this point, I'm leaning towards getting a VPN, but I'd like to see what everyone else thinks. If it's going to start small and stay small (no more than 30 people or so), then building the machine would likely be good, but if we're going to expand this out, the VPN will be much better. Also, I'm going to check with my ISP and see if they can offer me anything that might help.

OAMP

Turtle Poker
Reputation score

I play on easy, though I've never found slimes, are they on a harder setting, if so I might change it.

Sometimes I set it to peaceful just to make a small shelter, then turn the monsters on.

P.S. I can attempt to host a few times just for fun, so we can all experement around before the actual server goes up. I wouldn't save the maps or run it for more then an hour or two at the most, but it'd help us get the group together.

Last edited:

Mamono Assault Force

Coon Tamer
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Alright, I forked over 13 American dollars for this game. Let's make a kingdom.

As for the server type, I don't even think any of us should be allowed say in it, since it's your money. I personally think that 30 people is going over the top, especially if we keep it 'sorta' exclusive to those who are given the password. But I don't really know the specifics on how this can work out for you with your given finances.

Also, on the topic of passwords, I really recommend we not have it out in the open, only sent via PM and whatnot. Since if it's just out there, then griefers can nab it and laugh as they destroy all that is beautiful.

Darkboy

Lurker
Reputation score

I've only played on Peaceful. Wouldn't get anything done otherwise!
Turned on hard once and my caves filled to the brim with slimes!
I agree with the PM idea.

Unknown Squid

Aurani's Wife
Reputation score

Never seen a server with it's own password before, but that's what the white list would be for if we needed it (ie, if we decide posting the IP in this thread is too public). We'd just post our minecraft user names here, so that others will know whos who, and Maiko can add the name to the list. The exact player limit can be changed I believe, and if it started typically to lag at any particular number, we could drop it a bit.

I generally play on normal, but also go over to peaceful fairly often for doing testing and projects I don't feel like having to put on hold at night. Such as the sweet fully automated cactus factory I just finished. We need to build our selves one of these when we get the server going for sure. =)

OP
maikochan

maikochan

User #69
Reputation score

What I plan on doing is just PMing the address to intersted people that I can trust, and those people can then distribute it to those they trust. If things do get out of hand, I'll use more server-side measures.

OAMP

Turtle Poker
Reputation score

I have a temp server up right now if anyone wants to try, PM me!

Unknown Squid

Aurani's Wife
Reputation score

Shame. I went to bed the moment I finished that post. '_'