What's new

Random movie talky stuff.

Chibichibi

Big Sis
Reputation score
Re: The secure Avatar gossip page

Well, look at it this way, Colonel doucheface is a LOT like people I know. He was realistic, if nothing else.

And you see all the people that stayed, maybe they weren't listed by name, but they were there, and you saw them. :3

Momiji

Lurker
Reputation score

Norm was actually my favorite character, but only because he was played by one of my favorite actors, Joel Moore. I would've thought the General Doucheface character a little unrealistic if I also didn't have Ex-Marines/Military in my own family.

Even though the CG was beautiful, I think of 3D as nothing more than a cheap gimmick, and I thought the plot was paper thin and cookie cutter. Are you really telling me James Cameron waited 10 years to rip off Dances With Wolves?

Nunu

Despot
Former Admin
Reputation score

Well, look at it this way, Colonel doucheface is a LOT like people I know. He was realistic, if nothing else.
the thing i didn't like about colenl douchface is that he didn't really have any motive, they never really established he wanted all the natives dead, just that he enjoyed the challenge of pandora.

Vlanitak

Lurker
Reputation score

Effects and such was awesome. 3d was cool, but (at least at the cinema I went to see it) it seemed that at some points in the movie the director decided to just leave out or do the 3d effect crappy so that I kinda lost interest in the whole 3d effect.
Plot and story: sum it up nice and easy: did not appeal to me.
end: good movie to have watched, will not watch it again.

Anyone else than me see similarities between big battle and this?
and almost everything else in the plot seemed, for me atleast, to be easily connectable with the White european immigrant/Native american conflict during the years of colonizations, revolution and civil war etc... etc... in america

Momiji

Lurker
Reputation score

Effects and such was awesome. 3d was cool, but (at least at the cinema I went to see it) it seemed that at some points in the movie the director decided to just leave out or do the 3d effect crappy so that I kinda lost interest in the whole 3d effect.
Plot and story: sum it up nice and easy: did not appeal to me.
end: good movie to have watched, will not watch it again.

Anyone else than me see similarities between big battle and this?
and almost everything else in the plot seemed, for me atleast, to be easily connectable with the White european immigrant/Native american conflict during the years of colonizations, revolution and civil war etc... etc... in america
Uh, no offense, but it's one of the most paper thin allegory's I've seen in a movie in a long long time. The plot could be linked to a number of historic or modern events, from the invasion of Iraq to the battle of Little Bighorn, and that's most of the reason why I hate this movie.

Hopeyouguess62

Has a penis diamiter of 4.5cm
RP Moderator
Reputation score

the thing i didn't like about colenl douchface is that he didn't really have any motive, they never really established he wanted all the natives dead, just that he enjoyed the challenge of pandora.
I hate to say it, because I'm currently deployed IN the military. I've worked with a number of marines and sailors now, and I can safely say that the ex-marines shown in this film are actually a lot tamer than the snarling hellhounds we currently employ. Make no mistake: most of the marines I know are very good people, and they do what they do for their people. Take my word for it, though, they are bloodthirsty and relentless, and have a certain zeal for carrying out their orders. The marine leaning out the helicopter and yelling "Get some!" was VERY close to home. The Colonel wouldn't NEED a motive to want to kill indigenous people.

One thing they do show nicely is the change that occurs when you lose mechanical, emotional and physical distance between yourself and your enemy. If a team is called upon to eliminate a target, it is considered simply that. The killing that follows is purely impersonal. The button is pushed, the target neutralized. No one has to deal with the emotional consequences of consigning hundreds or more to a horrible, fiery death.

The destruction of the home tree and planned final bombing was a purely impersonal thing for most of the operators on the ship. These aren't hand-to-hand fighters, these are technicians far removed from the consequences of their actions.

Anyway, I enjoyed the unique new world but I have to agree with criticism of the thin, tiresome old plot. When the girl talked about someone taking Big Red (that's what I'm naming the big red flying thing right now) and leading the clans, I pretty much figured that was what was gonna happen. Same with a lot of the plot's "surprises." I also appreciated the new culture they tried to create, but didn't find it alien enough. It seemed a little too much like African and Native American tribes.

Great work visually, wonderful effort, accurate military depiction, weak plot and dissatisfying cultural shock.

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score

Yeah what Hope said, luckily I didn't have very high hopes for the movie so it didn't really disappoint me.

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

James Cameron has usually been able to show military culture fairly accurately, if a little toned down (check out Aliens). Yes, there was a lot of times during the movie that I wondered if this was about Aliens... or Iraq. Very very similar.

I... actually don't really have anything to add anymore. I could go on, but I'd either be agreeing with Mo, or others. I enjoyed the movie, but it wasn't uberly amazing like it was supposed to be. Oh well.

I also never saw it in 3D. Just a regular movie.

Nunu

Despot
Former Admin
Reputation score

do you know what was an excellent movie, sherlock Holmes.

kick ass

Copper

Lurker
Reputation score

Sherlock Holmes was very enjoyable, yes. Saw the first screening we had here in town today.

Also, a friend informed me that Avatar's "top at the box office" spot has been taken over by, of all things, Alvin and the Chipmunks, the Squeakwal. *facepalm* Of course, all the kids are out of school right now and that's going to be likey what the parents take the little ankle-biters to. We're holding out hope that Avatar will reclaim the spot or Holmes will take over.

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score

Ah yes, I definately want to see Sherlock Holmes, I mean who better to play a cocaine addict than Downey. Not to mention Sherlock Holmes being one of my favorite fictional characters.

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

I still remember back in 2004 when Dawn of the Dead kicked Passion of the Christ out of top spot at the box office...

Copper

Lurker
Reputation score

Well, they both have similar themes in that whole "ressurection" thing. I can see there being a draw for both...

Momiji

Lurker
Reputation score

I still remember back in 2004 when Dawn of the Dead kicked Passion of the Christ out of top spot at the box office...
Good to know there'll be more people knowing what the fuck not to do during a Zombie Apocalypse than just sitting there praying to Jesus or God or whatever.

Chibichibi

Big Sis
Reputation score

Am I the only one that thinks the Na'vi were attractive?

Especially the one played by Zoe, you know the girl who played Uhura in the new Star Trek movie.
Yay for topless alien women.

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Am I the only one that thinks the Na'vi were attractive?

Especially the one played by Zoe, you know the girl who played Uhura in the new Star Trek movie.
Yay for topless alien women.
No you're not.

But I thought it was funny that Zack Snyder beat out Mel Gibson.

Nunu

Despot
Former Admin
Reputation score

to be fair though if gibson had have done it, the movie would have been about how savage and stupid the navi are and that they are all going to hell for worshiping the wrong god.

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

I wasn't comparing Gibson to Cameron, but Gibson to Snyder (who did Dawn of the Dead, 300, and Watchmen). Cameron kicks Gibson's ass, and not just cause of Avatar, but Aliens. Forget Titanic, and the Abyss, Aliens is beyond classic. Even Terminator.

Gibson did do Braveheart though... Braveheart was fucking awesome.

Nunu

Despot
Former Admin
Reputation score

yeah i realised after i said it that i wasn't making any sence.

then i realised that mel gibson wants to do that to avatar anyway. (we revoked his Australian status shortly after braveheart by the way)

Caulder

Is completely fucking irrelevant. And he's a bitch
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Having just recently seen Avatar in 3D. I can safely say it was the BEST movie ever. I can barely even process anything but the storyline, due to the amazing visuals. I highly recommend seeing it in 3D, if you haven't already.