What's new

Random movie talky stuff.

PinkTea

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
Re: Random movie talky stuff.

Kevin Costner in Robin Hood Prince of thieves. Really nailed that medieval British accent.

lurker

Hentai Master
Reputation score

It's not about being against white americans or black people or whatever. It's about staying faithful to the source material. If you have a story taking place in Asgard, Heimdall(who is specifically called as being light-skinned) should not be black. If you have a story set in a fantasy world where America doesn't exist, the protagonist should not be American.
Basically that's kind of the biggest problem. Monster Hunter's human population, while it doesn't have any form of ethnic consistency like humans did growing up, is still quite varied and different, partly thanks to the fact most towns are still rebuilding themselves after the last major civilization and Elder Dragons squared off. Throwing that out just to toss in what is essentially Slasher Movie Fodder Characters #80427 will not win you brownie points with the fans of the series to start with, and the want to drag the monsters into the real world after just feels like the type of pandering that the Michel Bay Transformers reboots reveled in. The worse part is, even the Bay Transformers TRIED to have the plots somewhat be, y'know, Transformers related, even if they were rather meh Transformers stories.

EDIT: Want further proof this was a bad idea? First five minutes of the first Resident Evil Movie, Alice was 'just' a security guard for Umbrella in the facility. Remember how that snowballed constantly? Yeah... I don't trust this director knowing what normal is.

Last edited:

Hentaispider

Lord of the Tap Dance \oO.Oo/ (And Reputation Mana
Staff member
Administrator
Reputation score

Went to see Rogue One today. I found it to be a highly enjoyable film that doesn't centre around the main characters of the franchise. It did very well giving nods to the original trilogy(perhaps even to the point of too overt fanservice, with AT-ATs, x-wings and other things). Vader was awesome, the little that was shown of him(and really makes me with ep 7 had a decent villain instead of Kylo Ren). I have to say that the ending felt very fitting.

The scene where Vader just slaughters rebel soldiers effortlessly was frickin' great, also.

Tassadar

Panda King
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Went to see Rogue One today. I found it to be a highly enjoyable film that doesn't centre around the main characters of the franchise. It did very well giving nods to the original trilogy(perhaps even to the point of too overt fanservice, with AT-ATs, x-wings and other things). Vader was awesome, the little that was shown of him(and really makes me with ep 7 had a decent villain instead of Kylo Ren). I have to say that the ending felt very fitting.

The scene where Vader just slaughters rebel soldiers effortlessly was frickin' great, also.
I agree for the most part, but do feel the need to note that AT-ATs and X-Wings make absolute sense in the context of Rogue One according to the timeline. They're what the factions used at the time, and continued to use well afterwards. The needless shots of certain characters in random scenes were more annoying imo.

Also, while I overall thought it was pretty good, I hated the main character and most of the first half of the movie. The second half and Washbot just made up for it.

Hentaispider

Lord of the Tap Dance \oO.Oo/ (And Reputation Mana
Staff member
Administrator
Reputation score

I agree for the most part, but do feel the need to note that AT-ATs and X-Wings make absolute sense in the context of Rogue One according to the timeline. They're what the factions used at the time, and continued to use well afterwards. The needless shots of certain characters in random scenes were more annoying imo.

Also, while I overall thought it was pretty good, I hated the main character and most of the first half of the movie. The second half and Washbot just made up for it.
I don't think she was THAT bad, although I agree it could've been a better movie if Jyn had just been more assertive.

super_slicer

Lord High Inquisitor
Staff member
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Oh, so it's another disney princess movie? I guess at least they didn't cuck us on black padawan protag this time...

Tit Dang

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

Did anybody watch "There will be blood"? I want to see any movie with same kind of main hero.

Rule 34

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Just finished watching Zootopia. Damn, what a great movie. Between this and How To Train Your Dragon 1 and 2, I'm really glad that today's kids are getting some good movies that their parents can enjoy as well.

Chibichibi

Big Sis
Reputation score

Just finished watching Zootopia. Damn, what a great movie. Between this and How To Train Your Dragon 1 and 2, I'm really glad that today's kids are getting some good movies that their parents can enjoy as well.
I really liked the part where Judy's bully apologises to her. The way that he does it, and the verbiage he uses, makes me feel like he got therapy for his anger. It sounds a lot like professional speak to me, and that made me pretty happy.

I love how lighthearted the movie feels while also addressing serious issues in the process. Such a good movie.

(Also i can't watch HtTYD2 because of what happens to Hiccup's dad.)

super_slicer

Lord High Inquisitor
Staff member
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Me want to see moar cave-man posts.

Stuffie

TouchFluffyEars
Reputation score

Not feeling like gaming, I decided to watch some random movie I could dig up. I stumbled upon this little gem.
The title and art style suggested an animated adventure movie set in medieval Japan, so I decided to find out more about this one. Turns out it heavily features stop-motion animation, which I really, really dig! Plus, the setting is medieval Japan, but with a fantasy/magic setting as well. That made me decide to give this a shot without further research on plot or characters.

"From the acclaimed animation studio LAIKA (Coraline) comes an epic original action adventure featuring the voice talents of Academy Award winners Charlize Theron and Matthew McConaughey all in the wonder of 3-D! Kubo mesmerizes the people in his village with his magical gift for spinning wild tales with origami. When he accidentally summons an evil spirit seeking vengeance, Kubo is forced to go on a quest to solve the mystery of his fallen samurai father and his mystical weaponry, as well as discover his own magical powers. Kubo and the Two Strings is a wildly imaginative, magical adventure." – Scott Mantz, Access Hollywood

To be honest, only after copy-pasting Mr. Mantz' comment, I realized the studio behind "Kubo" also made "Coraline" - another movie I really love. So no wonder "Kubo" was nominated for an Oscar! I had a blast with this one! :D
Huge dose of creativity throughout the whole movie, amazing stop-motion and general animation work, great soundtrack and a nice story that I feel is rather dark for a movie so low on the PG rating, which for me however is a big plus. The only complaint I have is that the movie is aware of its rather harsh story themes and tries to lighten things up with a joke here and there - most of which just feel so badly delivered or out of place, they make it more awkward than funny.

Give it a shot!

Byzantine2014

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Not feeling like gaming, I decided to watch some random movie I could dig up. I stumbled upon this little gem.
The title and art style suggested an animated adventure movie set in medieval Japan, so I decided to find out more about this one. Turns out it heavily features stop-motion animation, which I really, really dig! Plus, the setting is medieval Japan, but with a fantasy/magic setting as well. That made me decide to give this a shot without further research on plot or characters.

"From the acclaimed animation studio LAIKA (Coraline) comes an epic original action adventure featuring the voice talents of Academy Award winners Charlize Theron and Matthew McConaughey all in the wonder of 3-D! Kubo mesmerizes the people in his village with his magical gift for spinning wild tales with origami. When he accidentally summons an evil spirit seeking vengeance, Kubo is forced to go on a quest to solve the mystery of his fallen samurai father and his mystical weaponry, as well as discover his own magical powers. Kubo and the Two Strings is a wildly imaginative, magical adventure." – Scott Mantz, Access Hollywood

To be honest, only after copy-pasting Mr. Mantz' comment, I realized the studio behind "Kubo" also made "Coraline" - another movie I really love. So no wonder "Kubo" was nominated for an Oscar! I had a blast with this one! :D
Huge dose of creativity throughout the whole movie, amazing stop-motion and general animation work, great soundtrack and a nice story that I feel is rather dark for a movie so low on the PG rating, which for me however is a big plus. The only complaint I have is that the movie is aware of its rather harsh story themes and tries to lighten things up with a joke here and there - most of which just feel so badly delivered or out of place, they make it more awkward than funny.

Give it a shot!
:eek: How have I not heard of this before?! Honestly surprised, thanks for this!

Copper

Lurker
Reputation score

Planning on catching this one at some point. I remember watching the trailers for that one going...wait...wait, is that...yup. The music in the background is "While my guitar gently weeps." Gotta love how changing the way something's played really changes the feel of a song.

dudes_tractor_yeah

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

You all do yourselves a favor and watch Turbo Kid.

Its like mad max but on bikes

super_slicer

Lord High Inquisitor
Staff member
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Grrr, post counter.

But he's quite right, turbo kid's a movie with heart that's campy in all the right ways. Seemed to be pushing the bikes a little too hard though, I get the premise as well as the actuality that this is an indie film with a budget to match, just a little off on their try to... make a weakness into a strength.

lol, really reminded me of cherry 2000. That's right fuck you I'm bringing it up again.

Bobtheme

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

Was the new Resident Evil any good? I've been debating on whether or not to watch it.

Side note; Might go watch Lego Movie today.

Byzantine2014

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Was the new Resident Evil any good? I've been debating on whether or not to watch it.

Side note; Might go watch Lego Movie today.
Eh, it was okay, a few scares at the start then a lot of fighting, major plot loopholes as usual though; it also
appears to be the last in the series, from how it ended anyway.
I'm not quite sure why this is called a trilogy too when there seems to be five or so movies...

Also looked up turbo kid, looks interesting, if quite gory :eek:. Has quite the mixed reviews on it.