What's new

OP
Lv1VillagerA

Lv1VillagerA

Lurker
Reputation score
Ok I figured out what I did wrong. I had to cut and paste the Gaijinizer Folder, the Game and Game_ files into my Shrift folder, BEFORE I followed the steps in the Read Me file on how to patch. Since this step was absent from the instructions, it took me a bit to figure out. Perhaps it was obvious, which is why you felt it unnecessary to put in the instructions, but for someone like me, I tend to follow instructions beat by beat, so if someone leaves an important step like that out, I'm not gonna do it until some trial and error leads me to figure it out. I'm not the most experienced guy when it comes to patching and modding games, so this kinda of stuff is lost on me.

That said, thanks for the hard work you do man. I'm not getting after you or anything, but I think maybe it might be worth including that step in the instructions. Just my two cents.
Instructions are obviously meant for you, if you didn't understand then that means I have to make it better, thanks for the feedback.
Lv1Villager, I'm translating under a different name, Triketos. To be honest, this account is kind of only to comment here and talk on the Shrift threads, lol.

The link again is:

All the changes I've all been attributed to that name (#Triketos). I've taken a look at how the Gaijinizer patch works, and it looks like it'd be easier if I just finished up what I've done so far and tie it up, wait for you to implement the translations I've got, then update the Github to use the Gaijinizer format. Considering the project structure so far, it'd be probably best for us to make a folder called Gaijinizer Patch alongside the RPGM Trans one, then deprecate the old one. I think I only need one more set of work to finish and polish the translations I've done, and I've been very specifically patching with my translations and playing through on a custom patched version to test so there shouldn't be that many cases of overflow text or the like for you to deal with.

Once I've made my final commit and I'm ready, I'll create a pull request, you can double check what I've got, then we can merge it with master. I'm hoping I'll get the time to work in these next few days, I've managed to get a lot done lately.
Thanks for what you did, I'm going to include this in the translation then post back here when I'm done. Expect to have some edits to do.

OP
Lv1VillagerA

Lv1VillagerA

Lurker
Reputation score
Patch update in a few hours (don't bother with the file in this post, except if it's you, @Shrifted).

----------------------------------------

Triketos_advancedcheck includes a quick proofread of your sentences. Not all lines are relevant (the auto-proofreader is too strict). You might still want to pay extra attention to "Warning char limit".

Triketos_shortened includes all your translations, and only them. That's the file you want to send me back edited.

Triketos_textToProofread is like Triketos_shortened except it's meant to be opened in a text editor able to proofread. It's written in a way you can better spot mistakes.

6_Triketos_signed contains the updated translation + Triketos_lost_translation which is the translation that was lost by switching patcher (can be put back but I want to leave the patcher configuration as is for now).

I don't know if you've overwritten text from other translators (I have no easy way to). To be safe, on the patch I'm about to upload, I made it so you can't overwrite other translations. This can be discussed later.

Edit: File deleted

Last edited:

Shrifted

Reputation score
Thanks for what you did, I'm going to include this in the translation then post back here when I'm done. Expect to have some edits to do.
I just pushed the final commit to clean up the last bits of what I've done, feel free to take a look at it. I'll wait for you to finish up before I continue...

Edit: Lol, you just beat me by a hair!

Shrifted

Reputation score
What should I do now? Should I just retroactively apply all my changes I just made to your edits, or are you going to take a look at the polish commit I just made...?

Also, I haven't overwritten anyone else's work, so you won't have to deal with that.

Edit: Looks like all I really need to change is a few cases of short/long lines. I'll wait for you to comment before I do the work needed.

Last edited:
OP
Lv1VillagerA

Lv1VillagerA

Lurker
Reputation score
What should I do now? Should I just retroactively apply all my changes I just made to your edits, or are you going to take a look at the polish commit I just made...?

Also, I haven't overwritten anyone else's work, so you won't have to deal with that.

Edit: Looks like all I really need to change is a few cases of short/long lines. I'll wait for you to comment before I do the work needed.

The files on github aren't up to date with 4.18 and the new patcher files.
When I'm putting Git into order, don't work on it. Work on Triketos_shortened instead, I can easily update the translation with it (software does that for me in seconds). Don't wait for my comments. Short lines can be ugly (add back punctuation or somehow justify the text) and long lines may not fit message windows. I'm sure you know what to do. If you need me to give you another file based on the updates you made on Git, say so as this doesn't take me much time either.
Feel free to use Github again once the files are updated.

Shrifted

Reputation score
The files on github aren't up to date with 4.18 and the new patcher files.
When I'm putting Git into order, don't work on it. Work on Triketos_shortened instead, I can easily update the translation with it (software does that for me in seconds). Don't wait for my comments. Short lines can be ugly (add back punctuation or somehow justify the text) and long lines may not fit message windows. I'm sure you know what to do. If you need me to give you another file based on the updates you made on Git, say so as this doesn't take me much time either.
Feel free to use Github again once the files are updated.
Yeah, I'd like this. Once you throw me back the new set of files, it won't take me long to make the line spacing changes.

OP
Lv1VillagerA

Lv1VillagerA

Lurker
Reputation score
I'm going to need 30 min then I'll update this post with the same files as above.

Edit: I'm also updating on Github. Look in /ManualTranslations and /Gaijinizer.

Attachments

Last edited:

Shrifted

Reputation score
Here's the edited file with all of the line spacing problems fixed and a few minor edits I noticed. Feel free to let me know if you have any other problems....

Should I even bother with pull request for the commit history's sake?

Attachments

OP
Lv1VillagerA

Lv1VillagerA

Lurker
Reputation score
No, I'll just update the files on github and then you're free to do what you want.
The next auto-proofreads will just be informative.
Thanks for lending a hand on the project.

Last edited:

Shrifted

Reputation score
No problem, Lv1.

Just a minor thing I noticed when I tried the new patcher: That screen you made to pop up to tell the user that the controls will be unresponsive pops up after the patch is done, not before.

Have no idea when I'll be able to put some more time into this, but my next priorities are going to be finishing Haru & Liz dialogue, possibly translating the Sphinx fight to make things easier to understand now that I know what I'm doing, and maybe trying to translate the secret 4-2 tape because it's a fairly important plot dump.

OP
Lv1VillagerA

Lv1VillagerA

Lurker
Reputation score
Just a minor thing I noticed when I tried the new patcher: That screen you made to pop up to tell the user that the controls will be unresponsive pops up after the patch is done, not before.
More precisely, first a message appears in a the game window about the game freezing when you select "Patch Game" (or choose to make a new patch). I don't feel the need to warn the user before the screen freezes, just telling him when it does and that it's OK.
Then when the patch is done, a pop-up window appears in a new window. It tells the user the Game is going to close itself.
At least that's the order when I test it on my computer, if the game message only appears after the pop-up window then that's a problem.

Have no idea when I'll be able to put some more time into this, but my next priorities are going to be finishing Haru & Liz dialogue, possibly translating the Sphinx fight to make things easier to understand now that I know what I'm doing, and maybe trying to translate the secret 4-2 tape because it's a fairly important plot dump.
Do as you want. I added your Git pseudonym in the credits. If you prefer I write another pseudonym, be sure to let me know. You don't need my authorization to share the patch if you were to edit the text files. Edit Gaijinizer/Gaijinizer.ini and you can even make an alternative patch using different folders.

Shrifted

Reputation score
Think one or two files might have not gotten the most recent versions (CommonEvents_228 in the patch you distributed is not the same as the version you have on your git project), but I'm too sleepy to check the others.

Thanks for the advice on the translation folders with Gaijinizer.ini, should come in handy for testing....

Edit: Noticing a few off things...

Will is now displayed as Stru...

and both of the Infinite symbols for my Infinite Magnum and Infinite Shotgun got changed to JP characters....

Edit 2: All the translated versions of the friendship amount you need for scenes in My Room have reverted too, as well as a translation for Yomi's Feathers...

Last edited:

Shrifted

Reputation score
I'm taking a look at why all this behaviour happens under the hood, and I'm *really* interested what you're doing on the technical level....

It looks like you've automatically combined and moved around a lot of text. For example, for all the random friendship printouts for the girls, you've automatically combined all like entries, removed the printout of current friendship, then made them generic and put pointers to one single entry to save space, in a completely different file. (moved from Comments.txt to Map ?019.txt?) Some files have been combined together, and CommonEvents has been split into over 280 different files. As well, it looks like you've changed the base translator or gotten a different version, because certain entries are now translated slightly differently then others.....

Anyways, an actual thing that I've noticed is that the Faster Skip plugin you're using this time is lacking the ability to fast skip through Battle Dialogue, which is a major bummer. Almost all my use of it was to skip through all the lengthy dialogue prompts that appeared in battle, such as "X takes Y damage!", "X looks at Y menacingly.", "X attempts to clear his mind etc. This is pretty important because of the real-time damage that appears when bound or in certain situations, which makes a lot of fights and moves a lot harder and slower then they should be to deal with unless I want to mash Z a crapton through fight dialogue, for endurance battles or certain moves like Time Stop (and honestly just fights in general.)

However, after messing around it seems like this function has been moved to shift, for some reason, which is certainly not documented any where at all, which is sort of confusing. Ctrl+Shift makes some sort of sound when you press it together, but I have no clue what that does....

Edit: The new translator absolutely loves to translate the heart emoji as "Moth" sometimes too, which is really weird.....

Last edited:
OP
Lv1VillagerA

Lv1VillagerA

Lurker
Reputation score
I don't have much time to reply so sorry if not everything makes sense.

I'm taking a look at why all this behaviour happens under the hood, and I'm *really* interested what you're doing on the technical level....
Stuff happens like this when making a patch:
-Patcher reads all the files in Data
-Initializes an array (for context) with the file name. Ex: Map001
-Goes in the Arrays and object properties and fills the Array. Ex: Map001, events (property), 1 (index), name (property)
-Reaches a String and use hash to stores it. Ex: hash["KAKIKOKU"] << [Map001, events , 1, name]
(hash is great because it's fast and you can later add more arrays for your keys. Ex: hash["KAKIKOKU"] << [Map006, events , 7, name]
-Reads all keys in the hash Ex:"KAKIKOKU"
-First array, first array element decides how the text file is named Ex: [Map001, events , 1, name], [Map006, events , 7, name] -> Map001.txt
-An entry is added with all the arrays (context) correspond to the key (japanese text) Ex: "KAKIKOKU" [Map001, events , 1, name], [Map006, events , 7, name]

The only reason CommonEvents is split is because I found it to be too long so I added a method to change that.

You'll notice some syntax in camel case, like Dialogue or ChoiceHelp (that is used for the printout of current friendship). Obviously if those were actual properties, they would be in lower case.
They are not. They are context I modified for clearer translation (and sometimes to match RPGMT syntax).

The auto-translator is a real mess, so let's just assume it works and not go into the details.
As for patching, it's mostly the same process as above, with some tweaks.

Anyways, an actual thing that I've noticed is that the Faster Skip plugin you're using this time is lacking the ability to fast skip through Battle Dialogue, which is a major bummer.
Faster Skip wasn't made for a specific game and it works fine most of the time. However most games use custom scripts and I can't really predict how they are going to interact with my own scripts. On one hand I wish to improve it but on the other hand I don't want to have to risk editing it. At the very least, I'm going to need as much info as I can about your issue before considering fixing it.

Edit: The new translator absolutely loves to translate the heart emoji as "Moth" sometimes too, which is really weird.....
I believe that's a Google Translation issue. People may not notice but Google Trad is evolving REALLY quickly. It changes daily and sometimes that's not for the best. I'll have to make a note to auto-edit "Moth".

Anegorami

Reputation score
Anyways, an actual thing that I've noticed is that the Faster Skip plugin you're using this time is lacking the ability to fast skip through Battle Dialogue, which is a major bummer. Almost all my use of it was to skip through all the lengthy dialogue prompts that appeared in battle, such as "X takes Y damage!", "X looks at Y menacingly.", "X attempts to clear his mind etc.
Well, you can just press and hold action button (Z) to quicken all in-battle animations. Sometimes dramatically (Railgun battle becomes a nonsense).

Shrifted

Reputation score
RL is in the way, but I'm making progress towards another chunk of translation done...

Found out the reason why Stru is appearing instead of Will on the battle screen...

Apparently the Struggle action set in battle and the Will appearing on your stats on the battle screen have the same kanji, 抵抗.... Dargoth translated this two different ways, making it Struggle in one instance, and Will (Willpower) in another.
So in System.txt of the old RPGMaker Translation, he did this...

Code:
> BEGIN STRING
抵抗
> CONTEXT: System/terms/basic/3/
Will
> CONTEXT: System/skill_types/4/
Struggle#Dargoth
> END STRING
However, the Gaijin patch merged the two together because there was no annotation on the first instance, causing this....

Code:
> BEGIN STRING
抵抗
> CONTEXT: System/terms/basic/3
> CONTEXT: System/skill_types/4
Struggle#Dargoth
> END STRING
I added the line back in with an annotation in the Gaijinizer patch, but the Will line seems to be stripped out by the time it reaches /Patch_en_updated and is used by the game, and if I manually change the file it doesn't seem to work.

Kind of stumped on what to do with this, because either way will lead to one term not having the right name.

Last edited:
OP
Lv1VillagerA

Lv1VillagerA

Lurker
Reputation score
Thanks, for the comprehensive issue report. I'll do what I can to fix Gaijinizer as there seems to be an issue with it.
A bug could indeed happen during patch reading or translation updating.
Let me know if the bug bothers you for another translation and I'll definitively make it my priority (I'm busy currently experimenting on another game).
For now, just act as if the the bug is going to be fixed even if you can't test it.

> BEGIN STRING
抵抗
> CONTEXT: System/terms/basic/3
Will#Dargoth
> CONTEXT: System/skill_types/4
Struggle#Dargoth
> END STRING

Edit: I'll fix it in the next patch. In the meantime you can append this to the Gaijinizer/Eval/Gaijinizer.rb file.
Ruby:
  def self.add_translation(text, c_text, c_translation, translation, tl_data) #util
    return if c_text == []
    if translation != ''
      text = encode_text(original_text(text))
      tl_data[0][text] = c_text #update
      translation = encode_text(original_text(translation))
      c_translation.each { |index_array| tl_data[1][index_array] = translation.dup}
    end
    translation.replace('')
    c_translation.replace([])
  end
Ruby methods use variables value instead of reference.
Ruby:
    c_translation = []
So this only changes c_translation within the method.
Instead I'm now using .replace which is a mutates objects (variables) and forces the method to use the variable reference.
Ruby:
    c_translation.replace([])

Last edited:

Shrifted

Reputation score
Sorry for the late response, but it looks like your fix is working. Thanks for the prompt help!

OP
Lv1VillagerA

Lv1VillagerA

Lurker
Reputation score
Edit: Noticing a few off things...

View attachment 20947
I'm updating the patch.
I've gotten rid of the Moth/Heart issue.
However I've found no reliable way to translate the Magnum and Shotgun properly (sending it again to google trad gives the same result).
The temporary solution is to strip Japanese characters. It cuts some information but seems to somehow work.

> BEGIN STRING
∞マグナム
> CONTEXT: Skills/787/name
> CONTEXT: Weapons/90/name
Magnum#MTLed ------------------- (instead of ∞ Magnum)
> END STRING

I believe I would get a better result if I were to update the dictionary (sfx and obscure names are otherwise poorly handled by google trad).
That's something I'll do when I improve how I extract names from text files.